The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 23 November 2017, 08:59 AM   #1
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
First AD Experience (no incoming)

There's only one Rolex AD in Arkansas and I've been afraid to go in because I thought it might be difficult to come back out without an incoming.
I thought today would be a good day to go in and at least introduce myself.

First off, the sales rep did a good job of reading me. I'm not from the south and it's quite obvious by my accent. She was very nice but didn't push anything. I told her I'm interested in a steel GMT and also wanted to try on a DD36 to see if it seemed too small for my wrist (note to self, it was). They only had the YG GMT, but she said there was not a waitlist for the BLNR if I wanted to order one. Then she said she expects an impending price increase (usually in May or October). I anticipated she would say this after reading these forums for the past few months. Then she went in the back to get me a catalog and I noticed a pair of gentlemen (perhaps father and son) at the other end of the rolex counter. They wanted to know what the absolute cheapest rolex was and what kind of financing options were available. I was really impressed that the salesperson working with them treated them no differently than any other customer. I'm sure the regulars that buy frequently get some perks, but I was glad that the others were getting just as much as attention as I. Finally, I asked if I had to sign my life away to try on the platona, she laughed and said of course not. I'm not a daytona fan, but that watch is otherworldly. Maybe it's the platinum, maybe it's the weight, but it is truly amazing. I told her that I'll start saving now and maybe in 10 years I'll come back for it. She definitely picked up on the WIS in me and told me she, too, was a watch nerd and gave me her business card. We made other small talk about the holidays and then I left.

I wish I had more exciting news, but I came away very happy even without taking the plunge again. I visited the AD in Hamilton, Bermuda once and they were a bit more pushy (probably because of the tourists). Everyone should go try on a platona and start getting know your AD. Cheers and happy thanksgiving to those of you in the states.

2016 Rolex Milgauss 116400GV Z-Blue
2015 Frederique Constant FC715H4S6 Manufacture Moon Phase
2015 Seiko SARG017
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 09:02 AM   #2
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Wait...you didn't get the YG GMT?
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Wait...you didn't get the YG GMT?

It was slightly less desirable than the platona...and by slightly I mean not desirable at all. No offense to anyone who has one. By the way, I had never tried on a GMT before. It pulled my arm hair as soon as I rotated the bezel. Does that happen to anyone else?

2016 Rolex Milgauss 116400GV Z-Blue
2015 Frederique Constant FC715H4S6 Manufacture Moon Phase
2015 Seiko SARG017
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
nice. i found the platona to be over rated in my mind trying it on. perhaps it was built up too much or may maybe just not for me.

the gold subc did live up to the hype for me however.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 09:53 AM   #5
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

I agree on all accounts...the Platona is awesome in person...and get to know your AD
Old 23 November 2017, 10:08 AM   #6
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Glad you had a pleasant experience at the AD. It can be hit or miss. The Platona is so beautiful and special. I’ve rationalized getting one a few times but shied away because I feel it would dominate my wrist time and I don’t want to part with my current pieces. I can’t justify having them sitting in the safe unworn.
On the other hand, if a PM Daytona with ceramic bezel on bracelet comes out, that may be the piece that motivates me to go grey seller no matter what the premium and add it to my collection.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 11:36 AM   #7
tng11
"TRF" Member

Excellent! Sounds like a great experience!

My AD is like that too. My guy has no qualms with letting me handle all kinds of super-expensive pieces even though I make it clear I'm not interested in buying today, and helps me set it for great wristshots. To that effect, it's been a smart strategy for him - I've bought 3 watches from him in under 3 months, and will continue to go out of my way to buy more Rolexes from him.

And while we're on the topic of the Platona, IMO, this is THE Platona to have:

tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 11:53 AM   #8
4vCoupe
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Best experience I have had while window shopping watches has been at an Omega boutique. Sales guy was a big time WIS, we discussed watches from micro brands to AP. Went in today and he remembered me from a couple years ago because at the time I was wearing a Steinhart OVM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
4vCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2017, 06:16 PM   #9
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I’ve always had good experiences at Rolex ADs. I walked into an Omega store once and was treated like a bastard step-child. I did not feel welcome there at all and I’m glad I didn’t buy a watch there.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote