The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 October 2023, 06:24 AM   #1
TikTok
"TRF" Member

Watch too big?

I see lots of pics where the lugs extend past (or very close to the end of) the wrist and consequently, the strap virtually hangs straight down
Would you consider these too large for the wearer?
TikTok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:26 AM   #2
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

It also depends on then angle of the pic. Some pics don’t properly represent the real life proportions.
Old 12 October 2023, 06:28 AM   #3
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikTok View Post
I see lots of pics where the lugs extend past (or very close to the end of) the wrist and consequently, the strap virtually hangs straight down
Would you consider these too large for the wearer?

The real test is to judge how it feels. If it feels good, and you like it, then wear it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gaussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:43 AM   #4
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaussian View Post
The real test is to judge how it feels. If it feels good, and you like it, then wear it!
This.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2023, 12:51 PM   #5
Garry1
Banned

Quote:

Exactly! How it feels on the wrist is very important.
Garry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:33 AM   #6
GolfJunkie
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 252
Watch too big?

I think the majority of phots you're seeing online are either taken to close to the wrist or have been cropped down so much that i make the watch look larger than it is.

I also don't think anyone should tell another individual what size watch they should wear. Everyone should wear what they like and what makes them feel good. Whether that's a 44mm Panerai on a 6.5" wrist or a 36mm DJ on an 7.5" wrist. It's all up to what each individual likes and feels comfortable with.

Here are a few pics taken seconds apart. One looks like the lugs extend past my wrist and the other looks like I have room to spare...

Old 12 October 2023, 06:40 AM   #7
Gaussian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116400GV Z-Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfJunkie View Post
I think the majority of phots you're seeing online are either taken to close to the wrist or have been cropped down so much that i make the watch look larger than it is.

I also don't think anyone should tell another individual what size watch they should wear. Everyone should wear what they like and what makes them feel good. Whether that's a 44mm Panerai on a 6.5" wrist or a 36mm DJ on an 7.5" wrist. It's all up to what each individual likes and feels comfortable with.

Here are a few pics taken seconds apart. One looks like the lugs extend past my wrist and the other looks like I have room to spare...

Quote:

I love your Sub, no-date!

Your photos make me think of another potential topic; do you wear your watch above or below your wrist? It might be a good one to poll.

There is not a wrong answer. I’ve just never tried wearing a watch above my wrist as your pictures show.

Gaussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:48 AM   #8
GolfJunkie

Quote:
I love your Sub, no-date!

Your photos make me think of another potential topic; do you wear your watch above or below your wrist? It might be a good one to poll.

There is not a wrong answer. I’ve just never tried wearing a watch above my wrist as your pictures show.

Thank you

For me, I've always worn my watches above my wrist bone. It's where I get the best fit and is most comfortable. I've never tried wearing it below but I feel like it would be on the back of my hand at that point and would be very uncomfortable.
Old 15 October 2023, 10:59 AM   #9
georgew
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: mostly Subs
Quote:
Thank you

For me, I've always worn my watches above my wrist bone. It's where I get the best fit and is most comfortable. I've never tried wearing it below but I feel like it would be on the back of my hand at that point and would be very uncomfortable.
this has been my experience with fitting the bracelet. Riding up and then down over the wrist bone is uncomfortable for me personally. But, you do you
georgew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:47 AM   #10
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

neither of those photos look like the watch is too big, it clearly shows a good inch or more of your wrist outside the lugs. there are photos here where watches are clearly too big but people just don't want to wear smaller watches
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:57 AM   #11
GolfJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
neither of those photos look like the watch is too big, it clearly shows a good inch or more of your wrist outside the lugs. there are photos here where watches are clearly too big but people just don't want to wear smaller watches
You're right, maybe my pics were a bad example.

But like I said originally, I think a lot of the pics you see online look too big due to the angle and proximity that the picture was taken.

Yes, there are watches that are just too big. IMO, The Deepsea Challenge is one of them. But if owners like it and are willing to wear it, more power to them
Old 15 October 2023, 07:31 PM   #12
oak3x
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

As a person who dabbles quite a bit in photography... This deduction is spot on regarding the photo approach
oak3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2023, 03:57 AM   #13
Cassidyanne
Banned

Quote:

Of course your watch doesn’t look that big on your 6.5 inch wrist because you’re wearing it almost at your elbow!!
Cassidyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:40 AM   #14
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

If there's a big gap then yes. I'd there's no gap but the lug goes straight down, and if the end if the lug is aggressively curved then it works.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 06:40 AM   #15
TikTok
"TRF" Member

It wasn’t my intention to question people's preferences. Hey, what they like is far more important than others opinions.
Was told, many years ago that if a strap hangs vertically then the watch is likely to spin on the wrist and was advised (at that time) to size a watch so at least a portion of the first links extends as near to horizontal as possible.
Of course, designs have changed and maybe that doesn't hold water any more.
Just asking.
Old 12 October 2023, 06:52 AM   #16
TikTok
"TRF" Member

^^ Ditto.
Old 12 October 2023, 07:19 AM   #17
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
What works for you. Yours is the only opinion that counts.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 07:37 AM   #18
Big Tex Rolex
"TRF" Member

I don’t know how big it is … but dang it looks good.

On my wrist, when I tried it on at my AD … it was not too big in circumference, but it was too “thick”, for me, so I had to pass.
Big Tex Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 08:15 AM   #19
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Watch too big?

I have 7.5” wrists and in some pictures, even my watches look too big. But from a far, all my watches look great.

So a lot of these close-up wrist shots aren’t an accurate reflection of how they fit. Honestly, I don’t even like to post close-up wrist shots anymore because of this. However, I do think some guys on TRF are wearing watches that are too big for them.

Krash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 08:22 AM   #20
RTG

Watch: YM42 Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
It also depends on then angle of the pic. Some pics don’t properly represent the real life proportions.
Quote:

I agree. It's all about how close your camera is to your watch. Most peoples phone pics are taken way to close to the item for there to be any real understanding of watch to wrist relationship.
Old 12 October 2023, 08:39 AM   #21
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Remember on TRF we take pics to showcase the watch first.
Old 12 October 2023, 08:48 AM   #22
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Simple answer is, YES!
If lugs are hanging over your wrist, it’s way too large.
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 10:27 AM   #23
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Go ahead and tell this guy his watch is too small and he's wearing it too loose to boot!

Old 18 October 2023, 12:32 AM   #24
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsdorfNDavis View Post
Go ahead and tell this guy his watch is too small and he's wearing it too loose to boot!

Honestly that watch looks ridiculously too small for him and if he were alive I'd be happy to tell him about it (from a safe distance of course)
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 10:39 AM   #25
RCorsa
"TRF" Member

That’s one of the oddest photos with the persons face blacked out like they are wearing a bag?!? I’d love to hear the rationale for that edit! Lol
RCorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2023, 11:58 AM   #26
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch too big?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCorsa View Post
That’s one of the oddest photos with the persons face blacked out like they are wearing a bag?!? I’d love to hear the rationale for that edit! Lol

The rationale is simple. Anonymity. I don’t want anyone to recognize me. I’m not the only that does that. Lots of subscribers do. Someone else just did that on the bespoke suit thread in the general topics section.

Old 17 October 2023, 02:44 PM   #27
KatGirl

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCorsa View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Just take the pic lower, or crop it, to not see the face.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2023, 11:01 PM   #28
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Just take the pic lower, or crop it, to not see the face.

Kat

Fixed.

Old 12 October 2023, 10:40 AM   #29
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Doesn’t matter what I think or anyone else really. It’s their watch, they are happy, that’s all that matters.
Old 12 October 2023, 11:04 AM   #30
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Size is subjective, but one must have a reference point.

sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote