The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 September 2022, 11:05 AM   #1
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
I'm interested in a vintage sub..from 2010?

So I'm interested in a Bluesy. But I like the gold text on the dial, and I don't care for the Maxicase era. So I'm looking at the 16613 from 2008-2010 which seem to be essentially 1988 Submariners but with lots of little updates.

I'm far from an expert on Subs especially from this era. But I like the idea of a "vintage" Sub with some modern upgrades like solid end links and engraved rehaut.

Anyone have any experience with this reference compared to other Subs like the current model?

From my understanding the 2010 16613 will have a slightly smaller/thinner case, 20mm lug width, a different clasp, and different dial/movement.

Would the 2010 16613 wear smaller and lighter and more casual with that, "vintage" feel compared to a 2022 modern Sub?

Maybe I'm just overthinking things and I should just get a new Sub?

Is the older clasp more comfortable/simple?
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2022, 06:56 PM   #2
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
16613 bi-colour is a great ref.

There were two types of dial a flat blue and a semi-sunburst blue. There was a Blue Sub (16083) that proceeded it for a short span too with occasionally a blue nipple dial like the full gold version of that era. The early ones will be with lugs that have holes, in Tritium and often the dial will turn a purple shade which I like. The bracelets of earlier watches are an all steel clasp and later ones have a gold running down centre clasps (to mimic bracelet) and the dials are luminova. The clasp is simple but unobtrusive.

Later ones like a 2010 you are looking at command a slightly higher price at moment, but (worth noting) if it follows the trend of everything else in last 40 yrs the early Tritium versions will be most collectable in 5-10 yrs from now as rare and the fact watch is changing uniquely in appearance over time which (most) collectors love.

Either way they are all good pieces and I much prefer them to the larger chubmariner cased 116613 with the maxi dial and bigger glide lock bracelet.

Rgds pt.

SHE'S A BAD MAMA JAMA - Carl Carlton
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 12:24 AM   #3
cardiel
"TRF" Member

2010 aint vintage..........wrong section.
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 01:06 AM   #4
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Would 1988 qualify as vintage though? That's my point. It's the same reference number as the 1988 introduction. So it's sort of like new old stock to get a 2010 model year of the 16613.

Paul's comments about the dial and lume patina are good points.

Would it be possible to put the upgraded bracelet with solid endlinks and gold clasp on a 90's 16613?

I'm trying to find the dimensions/weight of the 16613 vs a 126613LB. I know they're very similar but the Devil is in the details. Ideally I'd like a smaller, thinner, lighter case than the modern sub.
Old 12 September 2022, 01:26 AM   #5
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
I'm in the 16613 camp, I have a 16610 from 1991, it's the perfect size IMO. Chris
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 02:02 AM   #6
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
Would 1988 qualify as vintage though? That's my point. It's the same reference number as the 1988 introduction. So it's sort of like new old stock to get a 2010 model year of the 16613.

Paul's comments about the dial and lume patina are good points.

Would it be possible to put the upgraded bracelet with solid endlinks and gold clasp on a 90's 16613?

I'm trying to find the dimensions/weight of the 16613 vs a 126613LB. I know they're very similar but the Devil is in the details. Ideally I'd like a smaller, thinner, lighter case than the modern sub.
It would look odd and unbalanced to have the bigger bracelet on the 2010 even if it fitted imho. Bit like the Bb58 Tudor a lovely watch but the clasp is way too big for case !

Old 12 September 2022, 02:44 AM   #7
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Is it a bigger bracelet? I thought the changes were solid endlinks, gold on the clasp and that was about it. It's the same size I thought. The 2010 is before the Maxicase and is still the 16613
Old 12 September 2022, 03:02 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
. . .

Vintage? Not really, but you can decide for yourself what a vintage is.

Early Sub Dates used stamped end links, but after ~2000 they all came on the SEL 93253, which has a slightly updated clasp too. Any modern Sub clasp will bolt right on the early Oyster bracelet. Early cases do not have the machined ledge on the backside to locate an SEL bracelet, so check before you buy.

The 16613 does not have the blocky case of the first generation Ceramics, so even though it is the same diameter, it has different geometry some find more pleasing to the eye.

Last edited by Tools; 12 September 2022 at 06:11 AM..
Tools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2022, 03:08 AM   #9
TuRo
"TRF" Member

No I meant fitting a later maxicase style bracelet would not work well asthetically - not the 16613 with gold through middle it's the same size slightly 4-5% heavier approx.
But if you buy a 90s tritium I suspect after some contemplation you'll want to keep it correct as otherwise you'll have to pay extra £1500 and have two bracelets in tow (unless you bought it head only or on an aftermarket leather). But your call.

Old 12 September 2022, 03:27 AM   #10
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies.

I would consider tritium era 1980's vintage at this point for sure. It's hard to believe but 1988 was 34 years ago. For example, 34 years before 1988 was 1954. I'm sure in 1988 they would have consider 1950's stuff vintage.

I like the idea of a tritium dial and building some nice patina. But I do prefer solid endlinks and the slightly updated clasp of the later versions.

I prefer the curvier case design to the slab side as well.

One problem with tritium is it does seem to crumble and dissolve eventually especially when the watch is worn regularly which I would be doing. I like some patina but not when it crumbles and falls out of the hands. It's a fine line between patina and damage.
Old 12 September 2022, 03:43 AM   #11
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

I doubt there is anyone on this forum interested in discussing the definition of "vintage" for the 100th time. If you like solid endlinks, luminova, and engraved rehauts, that's great. But you're probably in the wrong forum TBH.
Old 12 September 2022, 12:10 PM   #12
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

If interested in a 16613, I'd go for one of the early 1990s ones. Some of the dials for pieces made during that time period have turned purple and the tritrium yellow, which looks really cool.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote