The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 December 2021, 12:00 AM   #1
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedinwatches View Post
In what world is the Daytona (at least in SS) excessively flashy? It's not flashy whatsoever.

I’ve owned a couple in my time. Looks like the back of a CD. The PCL, shiny ceramic, refrigerator white dial (black dial is definitely more muted) Look at they compared to the Zenith SS Daytona-it’s quite different. Not sure why they turned a tool watch as it was in the early 80’s into the Yacht-master.

I felt it so flashy I gave mine to my wife. I recall walking in Princeton one day and a dude, like no joke 15 feet out looks at me and says nice watch. That may be what others want to hear, but not me. Not long after passed it onto my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 12:10 AM   #2
ProCoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520 white index
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
I didn’t buy mine with any intention of selling it for profit.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
Paul Newman auction.
This was what raised the Daytona’s profile beyond Rolex anoraks. That sale turned it into something to covet by those other than collectors and other than those that used them as a tool watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexSimon View Post
It remains a classic in its design, ease of use and has evolved into a better and better watch with each gradual improvement.
No question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neom View Post
History behind it, the Rolex brand, only Chrono offered by the brand etc etc
In my little tiny section of the world, sports car racing, it’s symbolic of the summit of competitive achievement, and it has been since before the hype and mystique began…
ProCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 05:02 AM   #3
interestedinwatches
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I’ve owned a couple in my time. Looks like the back of a CD. The PCL, shiny ceramic, refrigerator white dial (black dial is definitely more muted) Look at they compared to the Zenith SS Daytona-it’s quite different. Not sure why they turned a tool watch as it was in the early 80’s into the Yacht-master.

I felt it so flashy I gave mine to my wife. I recall walking in Princeton one day and a dude, like no joke 15 feet out looks at me and says nice watch. That may be what others want to hear, but not me. Not long after passed it onto my wife.

Ceramic bezels and PCLs are on the majority of Rolex watches so in my opinion calling it excessively flashy is a bit exaggerated as it's not more excessive than most Rolex models. I have the Panda Daytona and the egg white dial is not something I'd call flashy at all either. It's just a matte paper white... It's not even sunburst. But yeah I guess Rolex as a brand is not for you anymore? The only less flashy watches are probably the Explorer line.
interestedinwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 06:08 AM   #4
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedinwatches View Post
Ceramic bezels and PCLs are on the majority of Rolex watches so in my opinion calling it excessively flashy is a bit exaggerated as it's not more excessive than most Rolex models. I have the Panda Daytona and the egg white dial is not something I'd call flashy at all either. It's just a matte paper white... It's not even sunburst. But yeah I guess Rolex as a brand is not for you anymore? The only less flashy watches are probably the Explorer line.

For myself my Rolex is a 16610 from 1997 and most of the Rolex I have owned were preceramic, and it will stay that way as I simply have 0 interest in the 6 digit models and turned down the ceramic Daytona in late 2016. I mean my tastes have changed, but to some degree someone spotting a Daytona accurately 15 feet out, I mean that’s some objective data (not great but something) that it’s suffice to say, noticeable. I do like the explorer II line but the size increase I’m not comfortable with.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2021, 06:43 AM   #5
OverGeared
"TRF" Member

Its astronomical status is a combination of all the stuff people have already mentioned: hype, fomo, marketing, influencer crap, status symbol, the Newman auction, low availability, speculator-driven grey market, etc etc.

But what makes it genuinely special is that it's an undeniably terrific timepiece. Leaving aside its aesthetics (which are subjective anyway) I just can't get over the 4130's technical accomplishments. 72hrs of power, 12hr chrono, vertical clutch, automatic, 100m water resistance, 4hz... in a tough-as-hell case that's only 12.2mm thick? Are you kidding me??

In 20 or 50 years, pop culture may or may not give a rat's you-know-what about the Daytona anymore, but that won't matter because it will still be an outstanding watch.
OverGeared is offline   Reply With Quote