The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 October 2022, 04:56 AM   #31
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Why don’t we all go back to outhouses and sundials and pterodactyl airplanes if we’re becoming peasants again with the laces.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 05:16 AM   #32
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I like my Wolverine 1000 mile boots. I've got 4 pairs, one of which are not particularly comfortable for me, but the other three are good to superb, depending on how broken-in they are and (maybe) who made them on what day. I suppose they may have used different lasts as well.

Fortunately, they have an easy return policy if they don't fit you.

Reasonably priced but I'm also a bit biased because I try to buy made in America as much as I possible can. So although an Alden is probably a better boot (albeit more expensive) they're not made here.
From Alden's website

The Alden Shoe Company was founded in 1884 by Charles H. Alden in Middleborough, Massachusetts.

It is difficult to imagine just how active and important the shoe industry was in Massachusetts so long ago. Early New England shoemaking was a trade based upon one craftsman making a pair a day in one room cottages (called "ten footers"). Beginning in 1850 a series of inventions led to mechanized stitching and lasting operations and the birth of New England shoe industry followed rapidly. The productivity gains over the traditional shoemaker were on the order of 500 - 700%, yet the new methods also led to an extraordinary improvement in both quality and consistency. The explosive growth of the shoe industry in eastern Massachusetts at the turn of the century was impressive. Numerous companies were being started, and demand soared as product made its way west and south on newly expanded rail routes. Charles Alden's factory prospered, adding children's shoes to their offering of men's shoes and custom boots.

By 1933, at Charles Alden's retirement, operations moved to Brockton, Massachusetts and joined with the Old Colony factory. The Great Depression took a toll on countless shoe companies in New England. Although production demand increased during World War II, by the late 40's renewed consumer demand had fueled the search for manufacturing regions offering lower labor costs. Over the remainder of the century attrition would take hold as manufacturers looked farther and farther away in search of low cost labor and materials to meet the insatiable demand in the U.S.A. for low cost, mass-market consumer footwear.

Most of the companies who remained in New England could not compete in the demanding post-war economy. Yet Alden prospered by relying not on lower quality mass-markets but on high quality dress shoes, and excelling in specialties such as orthopedic and medical footwear. It was a period of growth and intensive development at Alden, especially in the design of comfortable, orthopedically correct lasts. In 1970 a new factory was constructed in Middleborough, Massachusetts where production continues today.

Alden is now the only original New England shoe and bootmaker remaining of the hundreds who began so long ago. Still a family owned business, still carrying forward a tradition of quality genuine-welted shoemaking that is exceptional in every way.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 01:29 PM   #33
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Thanks Dan. I just purchased the Vibergs.

I've never spent this much on footwear before... but I'm sure they'll last me a long time. I'm really excited.

Any recommendation on shoetrees? Or, will any generic cedar shoetree work well?
Old 14 October 2022, 03:22 PM   #34
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
Thanks Dan. I just purchased the Vibergs.

I've never spent this much on footwear before... but I'm sure they'll last me a long time. I'm really excited.

Any recommendation on shoetrees? Or, will any generic cedar shoetree work well?
Any generic shoe trees will work. Fitted trees are not necessary and besides Viberg doesn't make those anyway so they don't exist. I have some of those but it's for more expensive shoe brands I own but fitted is never necessary. However you need to avoid those which have a very narrow end on the back and for the most part that's not something you'll come across very often at all. Nordstrom Rack used to have good deals on shoe trees as well as Joseph A Banks periodically. It's been so long ago I couldn't tell you if that is the case any longer. If nothing else I"ll bet you could still easily find a pair on Allen Edmonds website. Wherever you purchased your Vibergs there's a good chance they probably had some generic ones as well in the accessory section of their web store.

Great choice, and here's hoping you find the size you purchased fits you well. You"ll have to post a picture and let us know what you think when you get them, Once you buy better shoes and boots it's extremely hard to purchase that cheaper stuff ever again.

Cheers,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 14 October 2022, 03:58 PM   #35
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Why don’t we all go back to outhouses and sundials and pterodactyl airplanes if we’re becoming peasants again with the laces.
But some of us really do appreciate the finer things in life and there's something about wearing a nicer pair of leather shoes or boots not only for looks but for posture and feel as well. Growing up I can remember my mom making it a point that we went to a shoe store to get a pair of good shoes. Stores you can't find for the most part like you used to because now grown men even wear sneakers with suits which I just can't get over.

I guess as you say I'm just too old to accept that sneakers go with suits and I find sneakers although they work well for some things well never replace a good pair of leather shoes or boots even if sneakers come in leather too.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 October 2022, 05:09 AM   #36
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

They are arriving on Thursday (no pun intended).

I had to make some last minute order changes. I thought it was 1 size down from US size but it's actually 1 size down from Brannock measurement. Luckily, they were not shipped yet and Viberg was able to swap them out last minute. Ended up getting a size 7.5 instead of an 8.5.
Old 20 October 2022, 05:27 AM   #37
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:

I had to make some last minute order changes. I thought it was 1 size down from US size but it's actually 1 size down from Brannock measurement. Luckily, they were not shipped yet and Viberg was able to swap them out last minute. Ended up getting a size 7.5 instead of an 8.5.
My experience is that I’m between a 9 and a 9.5 on the measuring device. For sneakers I typically wear a US 10 and for dress shoes a US 9. My Viberg service boots are 8.5 and they fit fine with mid-weight boot socks. With dress socks the Vibergs are too big for me. Maybe I could have gone with an 8 — I ordered online so never tried the 8.
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 05:34 AM   #38
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good catch, and hopefully they are a good fit for you.

Please let us know what you think. I think you’ll be real happy with the choice you made.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 October 2022, 05:38 AM   #39
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
My experience is that I’m between a 9 and a 9.5 on the measuring device. For sneakers I typically wear a US 10 and for dress shoes a US 9. My Viberg service boots are 8.5 and they fit fine with mid-weight boot socks. With dress socks the Vibergs are too big for me. Maybe I could have gone with an 8 — I ordered online so never tried the 8.
I actually wear a size 11 and my Brannock is a size 11.5. Thing is my Vibergs are in their D width and not E or I would probably wear a size 10.5 in their E width. E of course being their more common width.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 October 2022, 05:46 AM   #40
MDN
"TRF" Member

I’m on my second pair of Wolverines, and the first ‘1000 Mile’ boot. Beginning to wear in after 6 months of occasional wear, and they take a polish very well. Dark cordovan color, white toe cap. My favorite lace up boot. I wear it with jeans and my navy 2pc suit on Sunday.

Last edited by MDN; 20 October 2022 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: Sp, clar
MDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 05:55 AM   #41
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
But some of us really do appreciate the finer things in life and there's something about wearing a nicer pair of leather shoes or boots not only for looks but for posture and feel as well. Growing up I can remember my mom making it a point that we went to a shoe store to get a pair of good shoes. Stores you can't find for the most part like you used to because now grown men even wear sneakers with suits which I just can't get over.

I guess as you say I'm just too old to accept that sneakers go with suits and I find sneakers although they work well for some things well never replace a good pair of leather shoes or boots even if sneakers come in leather too.

Omg. If you have a man servant then sure, laces are fine, I guess if they’re not dressing pheasants from a morning hunt or waxing your Rolls for the concourse.

But you’ve never seen a pair of $2k bench made laceless boots? They’re amazing.

Next thing we’ll hear from kids like you is the automatic Rolexeses are more Rolex than quartz Rolexeses!!! With your man buns and soy burgers and such making us live in trees and eating insects.

Embrace humankind’s advancements and stop this wokeness to go backwards!!! End laces!

Reported!!!!
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 06:09 AM   #42
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Love a fine boot, prefer Alden and Viberg.

Here are two of my Cordovan Viberg Boots that got some Saphir Cordovan cream awhile ago. Saphir is gold!

Viberg Bourbon and Viberg Mahogany
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Viberg_Cordovans.jpg (147.6 KB, 135 views)
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 06:25 AM   #43
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
What laces ?? .... RM Williams Comfort Craftsmen .I wear nothing else .
Tan,Black,Chesnut,Rum
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 06:42 AM   #44
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Love a fine boot, prefer Alden and Viberg.

Here are two of my Cordovan Viberg Boots that got some Saphir Cordovan cream awhile ago. Saphir is gold!

Viberg Bourbon and Viberg Mahogany
I used to use Saphir but personally found Bick 4 leather conditioner to work really well on most leather shoes to include cordovan and it cost less as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 20 October 2022, 08:33 AM   #45
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
I used to use Saphir but personally found Bick 4 leather conditioner to work really well on most leather shoes to include cordovan and it cost less as well.
Thanks, good to know. Would you say it's superior to the Saphir line?
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2022, 09:59 AM   #46
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
Thanks, good to know. Would you say it's superior to the Saphir line?
I like the conditioner much better than I do any of the Saphir conditioners. A bottle cost only about $11.00 it’s certainly worth a try. Personally as soon as I tried it I no longer bothered to buy any more Saphir conditioners but I still use Saphir polishes.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 October 2022, 09:10 AM   #47
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good catch, and hopefully they are a good fit for you.

Please let us know what you think. I think you’ll be real happy with the choice you made.

I received the Vibergs today and I’m impressed. Quality is superb! I’m so glad I was able to swap them for a size smaller last minute. They fit very well.

I’ve never owned footwear that was more than a few hundred and although these were pricey I can definitely notice the level of quality. The leather and stitching is beautiful and the overall feel is exceptional.

They smell so good btw lol… they are a tad stiff but I imagine it just requires some breaking in.

Here are a few pics:

Thank you for all your help Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 October 2022, 10:03 AM   #48
ippon20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710 (3186)
Great boots! Congrats! I always go for some Pisgah range laces.

Instagram @pivot_and_spine
ippon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 10:49 AM   #49
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Congrats. I thought Allen Edmonds were great then I bought a pair of viberg last year…spoiled. I want another.
Old 21 October 2022, 10:50 AM   #50
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I received the Vibergs today and I’m impressed. Quality is superb! I’m so glad I was able to swap them for a size smaller last minute. They fit very well.

I’ve never owned footwear that was more than a few hundred and although these were pricey I can definitely notice the level of quality. The leather and stitching is beautiful and the overall feel is exceptional.

They smell so good btw lol… they are a tad stiff but I imagine it just requires some breaking in.

Here are a few pics:

Thank you for all your help Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Look great, Congrats!!
I’m glad that you were able to rectify the sizing thing in time.

I always wear my new shoes or boots about three times for about an hour a piece while just sitting in my chair. My Vibergs required no breakin but they are in Chromexcel so your leather maybe a bit stiffer but probably shouldn’t be that bad I wouldn’t think.

Cheers,

Dan

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 October 2022, 10:51 AM   #51
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Congrats. I thought Allen Edmonds were great then I bought a pair of viberg last year…spoiled. I want another.
Really there are so many options better than Allen Edmonds. Most cost more, but so many better options than Allen Edmonds.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 October 2022, 01:15 PM   #52
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Lace-Up Boots - Thursday Captains in Tobacco Brown?

Quote:
Really there are so many options better than Allen Edmonds. Most cost more, but so many better options than Allen Edmonds.

Thanks to you I’m well aware and poorer for it

Edit: I had a brain fart and meant redwings but the same applies honestly.
Old 21 October 2022, 01:33 PM   #53
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Thanks to you I’m well aware and poorer for it

Edit: I had a brain fart and meant redwings but the same applies honestly.
Oops!!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 October 2022, 06:05 PM   #54
espanol
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Trusty Explorer
Quote:
If you remember anything when buying quality shoes or boots fit is King make sure it's going to fit or your not going to want to wear them.
Great point. I have a pair of Meermin suede boots, which I quite like, but the fit isn't perfect and thus, I tend to gravitate away from them.

Question, any mid-tier boot or even Oxford recommendations for flat, narrow feet?
espanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 08:47 PM   #55
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espanol View Post
Great point. I have a pair of Meermin suede boots, which I quite like, but the fit isn't perfect and thus, I tend to gravitate away from them.

Question, any mid-tier boot or even Oxford recommendations for flat, narrow feet?
Sorry, as this is not an issue for me it’s not something I’ve paid ant attention too. However Styleforum would be a great place to start as they have separate threads not only most of the more popular shoemakers but sometimes on specific issues such as this one. No guarantees that they do have on thread on this specific issue but there’s nothing stoping you from posting that question either. Plenty of info however just sometimes may require you to spend so time mining that data.

Personally I wouldn’t classify Meerimin as mid-tier however. I think Crocket and Jones might be a better example of mid-their.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 October 2022, 10:40 PM   #56
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Those boots really look great. As do all the other boots posted here. Who makes the best matte/unshiny black boots for a more casual look? Never owned any but I’m going to have to pick some up.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2022, 11:15 PM   #57
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Those boots really look great. As do all the other boots posted here. Who makes the best matte/unshiny black boots for a more casual look? Never owned any but I’m going to have to pick some up.
Quote:
If your willing to spend more you certainly can get better boots. However it's up to you and what your wiling to spend but I can guarantee they will be nicer boots. Although it says it's a dress shoe thread there are tons of lace up boots here.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=shoes

For the style let me just name a few:

Viberg
Whites Boot Co
Nicks Boots
Wesco
Truman
Alden
Rancourt
Oakstreet Bootmakers

For less and not quite as nice
Redwing
Wolverine 1000 mile boots.

To name but a few all of which I own something of personally other than Nicks which I have on order, Wesco and Truman which are nice but I yet to own a pair. So I can certainly vouch for all of these companies.
In regards to boots as a whole I would stick with my original boot maker list and then take a look at what they offer. Some of course will offer different leathers with different finishing from time to time however I would think you should be able to find something that matches what your looking for.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 21 October 2022, 11:45 PM   #58
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In regards to boots as a whole I would stick with my original boot maker list and then take a look at what they offer. Some of course will offer different leathers with different finishing from time to time however I would think you should be able to find something that matches what your looking for.

Thanks. I'll take a look at that. If you had to pick one of those, who would you recommend?
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2022, 12:07 AM   #59
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

You cannot lose with Viberg Henry.
Old 22 October 2022, 12:13 AM   #60
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post

Thanks. I'll take a look at that. If you had to pick one of those, who would you recommend?
Personally I really like my Vibergs. My Whites are extremely nice, but a different type of boot. The Nicks boots I have on order will be closer to my Whites as Whites and Nicks are considered to be more of a work boot. I expect I still may pick up a pair of Trumans at some point as they really do offer a good number of very interesting leathers.

Some differences in style are fairly easy to see between the various boot makers as other details it wouldn’t hurt to have a look at Styleforum as most have their own threads and you can discover a number of things to include hints on sizing as well.

Vibergs are considered more of a fashion boot where detail is more of a consideration where Whites and Nicks being more of a work boot. Nicks being one of the most solid boots your money can buy and the break in being a reflection of that.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons