The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 April 2023, 03:16 AM   #91
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezorra View Post
Every time Rolex releases new models, I realize that the brand steadily reflects who I am as a person less and less, and at an accelerating rate. I have realized that I love Rolex mainly for what it used to be; it’s legacy, it’s stories, the many marks it has made on history.

But if Rolex was launched today with only the models they offer now, at the price they offer them, I would probably think they were among the most uninspired, gaudy, and unnecessarily overpriced watches on the market, existing only for hype’s sake. I’m not into male jewelry or vulgar displays of wealth for its own sake, so I wouldn’t be the least bit impressed.

And my brand would probably be Tudor.
A very eloquent post that reflects what a lot of long time Rolex owners and buyers are probably thinking.

The watch I like most from this years releases is the 1908 although the price is a little steep.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 03:18 AM   #92
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
What do you think about the direction Rolex is taking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBartlett View Post
Tbf no I don't believe they did BUT if you look at autism awareness posters which feature different block coloured jigsaw pieces and buzz words but suggest Rolex have nothing do with AA or promoting AA then it could be viewed as even more cynical by straight nicking AA's styling clues to make a cool trendy watch only for celebs to up your own company profile etc
without the decency to acknowledge AA for the design

I guess you could argue it raises AA awareness as most people are not aware of AA so who cares?
but that's hardly the point

If I was a director of AA I'd be asking our lawyers what they thought of this because you'd be darn sure Rolex are quick out the blocks at the slightest hint of any intellectual copyright infringement if and when they see it.
I had the same thought... they should c&d and then sue their asses to get some money.

Rolex of all companies should be held to this standard since they've gone after so many others.
Old 1 April 2023, 03:23 AM   #93
Arctic-Owl
"TRF" Member

Watch: HydroConquest
Took my first look yesterday and what struck me was "flash fashion." Someone is going to buy the new gawdy OP and the diamond encrusted gold and show it off on TikTok and, like buying floral curtains for your bedroom, will soon get tired of it. What's the point?
Ah, he'll soon want to unload it for next year's new item.
And who will profit from this fast turnover? The Rolex resale booth on the other side of the AD's floor.
Win-Win-Win
Arctic-Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 07:23 AM   #94
Wee-Willie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Apple sold over 50 million Apple Watches last year.
AND..I thank every one of them for buying those Apple Watches....I own Apple stock.

As for me, I will continue to buy & wear my mechanical watches!!
Wee-Willie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 07:34 AM   #95
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
I just think it's amazing that to hear some guys tell it Rolex only got into the gaudy watch game this year. They have tacky crap going back decades.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 09:00 AM   #96
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwillis0001 View Post
They have tacky crap going back decades.
(Friendly deep sigh) Alas, not all fashion is timeless. One thing I'll say about Mr. Ralph Laren, he does seek to offer modern 'American' classic quite well.

Dolce & Gabbana, not so much.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 09:42 AM   #97
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
I believe Rolex is running normal. Over the last 40 years or so I have seen some " questionable " references make their debut. But they have always provided there core models and kept updates coming at a regular pace.

I believe the straying of a occasional reference is just the Rolex way of testing the market. But ultimately the core references keep us yearning for more.
Rolex 226570, Explorer II Club
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 09:43 AM   #98
Wee-Willie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwillis0001 View Post
I just think it's amazing that to hear some guys tell it Rolex only got into the gaudy watch game this year. They have tacky crap going back decades.
Tacky Rolex?? What U talkin bout, Willis???
Wee-Willie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 09:48 AM   #99
buffetwarren
"TRF" Member

I don’t mind the creativity but the bubble OP and puzzle DDs are god awful. I think there’s a way to be bold without tasteless. Also, the day and date complications are integral to the charm of the DD. I get the statement piece component but what’s the point of charging a premium if the only two complications do not offer any practical utility?
buffetwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 10:37 AM   #100
usmc_k9_vet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetwarren View Post
I don’t mind the creativity but the bubble OP and puzzle DDs are god awful. I think there’s a way to be bold without tasteless. Also, the day and date complications are integral to the charm of the DD. I get the statement piece component but what’s the point of charging a premium if the only two complications do not offer any practical utility?

I like these releases. Not for me to buy or wear, but they are super fun. The puzzle piece Day Dates are very well done if you look at what went into creating those dials. Super cool stuff and I am completely happy with the direction Rolex is heading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
usmc_k9_vet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 10:40 AM   #101
Blanch
"TRF" Member

Rolex has a history of going against the grain and making hype pieces. Even the original Day-Date Stella dials were very bold.
Blanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 10:51 AM   #102
Bill2e
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Every time Rolex releases new models, I realize that the brand steadily reflects who I am as a person less and less, and at an accelerating rate. I have realized that I love Rolex mainly for what it used to be; it’s legacy, it’s stories, the many marks it has made on history.

But if Rolex was launched today with only the models they offer now, at the price they offer them, I would probably think they were among the most uninspired, gaudy, and unnecessarily overpriced watches on the market, existing only for hype’s sake. I’m not into male jewelry or vulgar displays of wealth for its own sake, so I wouldn’t be the least bit impressed.

If Tiffany, Mercedes, Louis Vuitton and any other luxury brand were released today at today’s prices they would not sell.

The history is what makes them desired.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 10:53 AM   #103
fuzzy_panda
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Green
I like bold colours, I actually quite enjoyed the previous pastel coloured OPs (I even got the green one!). HOWEVER I do not like the bubbles version. It looks messy, it's hard to tell time, even the IFL watches multi-coloured pain collabs look better. Good brands can do messy with class. This is not class
fuzzy_panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 12:06 PM   #104
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I think it is good they are going north, slightly better than north east or west, but better than south.
Old 1 April 2023, 12:10 PM   #105
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
If Tiffany, Mercedes, Louis Vuitton and any other luxury brand were released today at today’s prices they would not sell.

The history is what makes them desired.
Interesting - how do the new brands break through? Has to be from quality, popularity, timing and marketing/social outreach. The brands you mentioned are proven, but there will be others that break through.
Old 1 April 2023, 12:25 PM   #106
Corvette
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
Interesting - how do the new brands break through? Has to be from quality, popularity, timing and marketing/social outreach. The brands you mentioned are proven, but there will be others that break through.
By offering something completely unique and out of the box- think Richard Mille, Supreme clothing, Tesla to an extent.
Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 12:37 PM   #107
jitdc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
There have always been colorful, odd or unique releases from Rolex over the years. It's just fun and games clothed in the style of the times. I think they are still doing better than AP for example, with keeping closer to their core market.
jitdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 11:47 PM   #108
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Umm...it's not 'is taking.' It's 'has been taking' for quite some time. However long that time is depends on your perspective.

For instance, there's a heck of a lot less difference between the new ceramic Daytona and the 116500 than there is between the 116500 and the 116520. But that's just a starting point.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 12:37 AM   #109
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
You said it in your post. Marketing and Social outreach via all social media platforms. Influencers, like them or not, can take a 0 product and turn into a famous and desired product basically over night.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 12:51 AM   #110
wean_sg
"TRF" Member

With production numbers being the limiting factor, and precious metal (higher margin) models now moving as fast as the factory can make them, I would suspect Rolex is retooling the factory to pump out more half gold and full gold models in the good name of higher profits.

So going forward I would expect to see less steel pieces being produced and more and more luxury models replacing them. Milgauss being dropped to clear the line for producing higher margin models means you can expect more steel pieces to be dropped, even the massively popular ones.

There is no way Rolex will make the coke because they rather be making some other full gold pave diamond model and still it will fly off the shelves. On that note, I expect to see more steel pieces being discontinued, even the massively popular ones. SD43, Explorer 2 black dial, Sub no date, Deepsea are likely to be dropped in the next few years. Their product mix will slowly inch toward PP and AP where steel pieces are the gateway into their brand but only a few pieces will be offered in steel.

Tudor on the other hand will try to fill the void left by Rolex. I expect to see history repeat itself and Tudor using Mercedes hands in the future. And models resembling discontinued steel pieces being produced.
wean_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 01:01 AM   #111
wean_sg
"TRF" Member

Having typed that wall of text, guess wha I am really saying is collect as many steel pieces as you can. They might slowly disappear :)
wean_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 01:32 AM   #112
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
You said it in your post. Marketing and Social outreach via all social media platforms. Influencers, like them or not, can take a 0 product and turn into a famous and desired product basically over night.
This is my thoughts on Bubble OP. I bet these will be hard to get hold of. I could see influencers picking them up. Mia Khalifa comes into mind would be rocking the Day Date. Watch it start picking up hype.

I like that Rolex is branching out going a bit more creative.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 02:04 AM   #113
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
This is my thoughts on Bubble OP. I bet these will be hard to get hold of. I could see influencers picking them up. Mia Khalifa comes into mind would be rocking the Day Date. Watch it start picking up hype.

I like that Rolex is branching out going a bit more creative.
I think you just told us something about yourself.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 02:10 AM   #114
Innocenti
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sums up my feelings about Rolex completely.
Innocenti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 02:10 AM   #115
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
I think you just told us something about yourself.
Let me take a guess its from Mia Khalifa? Only reason I say that she recently posted how liked the bubble day date? Plus with 27million followers I’m sure a few would be wanting to copy that style
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 02:53 AM   #116
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
What do you think about the direction Rolex is taking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
Let me take a guess its from Mia Khalifa? Only reason I say that she recently posted how liked the bubble day date? Plus with 27million followers I’m sure a few would be wanting to copy that style

I'm a sucker for fake b--bs and a mustache, myself
Old 2 April 2023, 02:58 AM   #117
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin of Larchmont View Post
The pendulum is on the gaudy upswing if its arc at the moment and will eventually swing back. For every purist they lose now they’ll pick up two of the bedazzled masses by the time it works its way back towards the apex of stoic understatement. Or maybe not. At least that’s what I keep telling myself as I find less and less to want.
well said.

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 11:10 AM   #118
donq
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610,1675,16030
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Stay classy San Diego…
donq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 12:16 PM   #119
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Augmented, not fake. If I can touch 'em, they're real.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 03:28 PM   #120
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
I love it. Amazing watches creativity and quality. It’s an insane brand doing insane stuff. Only wish I had the money to push my collection into the triple digits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote