The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 13 October 2022, 05:34 AM   #1
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Lace-Up Boots - Thursday Captains in Tobacco Brown?

I'm keen on buying my first pair of lace-up boots. I came across Thursday Captains in Tobacco Brown. Thoughts?

Are there other brands/models I should be considering? I don't have a set budget but I would like to own a pair of dark brown lace-up boots that are timeless in style and are durable.

https://thursdayboots.com/products/mens-brown-captain

Old 13 October 2022, 05:46 AM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
If your willing to spend more you certainly can get better boots. However it's up to you and what your wiling to spend but I can guarantee they will be nicer boots. Although it says it's a dress shoe thread there are tons of lace up boots here.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=shoes

For the style let me just name a few:

Viberg
Whites Boot Co
Nicks Boots
Wesco
Truman
Alden
Rancourt
Oakstreet Bootmakers

For less and not quite as nice
Redwing
Wolverine 1000 mile boots.

To name but a few all of which I own something of personally other than Nicks which I have on order, Wesco and Truman which are nice but I yet to own a pair. So I can certainly vouch for all of these companies.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 05:53 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

If you wish to do any further research on any of these I highly recommend going to the following websites where a good number of these shoemakers\bootmakers have user threads you can mine for details. Feel free as well to ask me anything and I will do my best to answer whatever questions you have. But these threads will surely give you a good bit of information as well.

You may not have expected to pay more than $200 but you asked an open ended question and I am only giving you my perspective on a good number of better boots you can buy but its going to cost you more than $200. If you buy a good pair of Goodyear welted boots they are an investment that can last you an extremely long time.

https://www.styleforum.net/forums/classic-menswear.5/

https://www.styleforum.net/forums/st...-and-denim.13/

There is a good chance Thursday Boots are mentioned in the streetwear-and-denim subforum as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 05:59 AM   #4
dddrees
"TRF" Member

If you remember anything when buying quality shoes or boots fit is King make sure it's going to fit or your not going to want to wear them.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 06:05 AM   #5
Nice marmot
"TRF" Member

I just picked up a pair of Red Wing iron rangers. Pretty happy so far, very well built. Made is the USA if that is important to you.
Nice marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 06:29 AM   #6
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
If you wish to do any further research on any of these I highly recommend going to the following websites where a good number of these shoemakers\bootmakers have user threads you can mine for details. Feel free as well to ask me anything and I will do my best to answer whatever questions you have. But these threads will surely give you a good bit of information as well.

You may not have expected to pay more than $200 but you asked an open ended question and I am only giving you my perspective on a good number of better boots you can buy but its going to cost you more than $200. If you buy a good pair of Goodyear welted boots they are an investment that can last you an extremely long time.

https://www.styleforum.net/forums/classic-menswear.5/

https://www.styleforum.net/forums/st...-and-denim.13/

There is a good chance Thursday Boots are mentioned in the streetwear-and-denim subforum as well.
Thank you for all the info. I would prefer paying for quality and having a nice pair that will last. I did a bit of research based on your links and brand recommendations... and I like these Viberg Service Boots:
https://viberg.com/products/service-...758c8e37&_ss=r

Dumb question... what makes a boot dressy? I'm assuming by the laces and the model name these Viberg's are casual.
Old 13 October 2022, 06:34 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Thursday boots are good entry level "good boot".

Viberg is one of my favorites in the mid to higher end category.

These 310 service boots are SO comfortable. They also have Halkett Boots (second picture) that have a similar vibe to the Thursdays.

Of course nothing beats Kreosote Boots although they're a bit like Rolex ... with a 3 year wait list 20221012_162712.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 06:47 AM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post
Thank you for all the info. I would prefer paying for quality and having a nice pair that will last. I did a bit of research based on your links and brand recommendations... and I like these Viberg Service Boots:

Dumb question... what makes a boot dressy? I'm assuming by the laces and the model name these Viberg's are casual?
What makes a boot dressy? As with anything the style, leather, finishing. Plenty of examples in the next thread even though some casual boots are included as well. I know you"ll be able to find a few. The dressiest boot is considered a balmoral boot.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=shoes

Vibergs are casual boots, but they are considered fashion boots ever since about the time the Japanese adopted these boots as their own even though they are made in Canada. Great choice by the way and you"ll notice I listed them first for a reason. Although many on the list are extremely nice boots.

So you"ve noticed Vibergs as well as others have their own thread with an incredible amount of information although you will have to mine these these threads to get there. Some have more than 1000 pages, short pages but tons of pages on some of these.

Getting the right fit on something you may not be able to try on before you can buy them will be the challenge. I have a medium width foot that makes this much easier and with many brands under my belt comparisons for me are much easier. Users in these threads will often provide comparisons to other boots they own to help guide those that own other boots already. Many good shoe or boot shops are very capable of providing great guidance as well. Keep note however some bootmakers like Whites and Nicks have the ability to try on a pair they will send you and others like Alden may be sold locally. Then there are retailers that sell others like Viberg that have return policies. All things worth looking into. The Last the bootmaker uses which is always proprietary will greatly determine what size and how well it will fit. Knowing your Brannock size is the first step regardless.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 06:48 AM   #9
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Thursday boots are good entry level "good boot".

Viberg is one of my favorites in the mid to higher end category.

These 310 service boots are SO comfortable. They also have Halkett Boots (second picture) that have a similar vibe to the Thursdays.

Of course nothing beats Kreosote Boots although they're a bit like Rolex ... with a 3 year wait list Attachment 1324381

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
NICE!!!

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 06:55 AM   #10
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago32 View Post

Dumb question... what makes a boot dressy? I'm assuming by the laces and the model name these Viberg's are casual.
Keep in mind when buying good quality footwear it's also a good idea to switch them out on a daily basis giving the leather a chance to recover between wearing. That and invest in shoetrees for keeping their shape and helping with moisture removal. I also use dustbags especially since I have so many I hardly ever wear the same pair twice in the same week or even much longer for many of them. Vibergs even provide with a pair of Dustbags.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 07:13 AM   #11
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I like my Alden 405 original Indy boots, but they’re a bit heavy.
They have a lot that are similar if you like the style but not necessarily the color.
Different uppers, soles, etc. They’re more statement and function than style.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:34 PM   #12
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve been wearing Alden boots for years. No complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:52 PM   #13
Star Ferry
Banned

If budget is flexible I would recommend Viberg. Have a great pair of their “service boot” in antelope
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 12:55 PM   #14
Schmed
"TRF" Member

Allen Edmonds makes some great boots, too. Most (all?) are made in the US.
Schmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 01:40 PM   #15
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
OP, I bought a pair of Thursday boots, ( President) model in tobacco. I find them uncomfortable. I still have them, however, I wear my Allen Edmonds Higgins boots more. I might be giving the Thursday boots away. Yes, for $200, there not bad. Personally, I don’t see myself wearing them again.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 05:39 PM   #16
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
Allen Edmonds makes some great boots, too. Most (all?) are made in the US.
The reason I didn't even put Allen Edmonds on my list is that quality with Allen Edmonds can be really spotty. One of the biggest reasons is the shear number of shoes and boots they manufacture. However Allen Edmonds can be purchased locally in a vast number of locations so instead of purchasing via the internet it can be rather easy to find a local place to purchase them and thus you can also inspect them before doing so.

I would also say their custopmer support has always been real good to the point they would replace their mistakes no matter how many times it takes to get it right.

Personally I just find that many other shoemakers make a nicer boot.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 05:55 PM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

So although you might be able to get a pair of GoodYear Welted boots at a lower price point when your willing to spend more money you may find the following benefits:

Better designs and more visibly appealing.

Better attention to detail. Although Whites for example is known for not being as detailed at times. Great boots just that details are not always their concern or strong point. Nothing that will stop the boot from being a great boot. I do have a pair of Whites and I can tell you they make great boots. This is but one example where those Styleforum threads can be helpful in determining which product works best for you. If details matter there are plenty of details there to be found.

Better construction although this isn't guaranteed especially considering that most Goodyear Welted shoes and boots are made the same way.. Nicks is an extreme example of much better construction and are known to set the standard. However a result of this is that you better be prepared for the break in process of attempting to break in a pair of their boots. Were talking months instead of days, or even weeks to break in a pair of their boots. Even as bad as Redwing typically is nowhere near as long as the time it will take with a pair of Nicks. Now once their boots are broken in they will wear like a pair of comfy slippers, but not until then. Be prepared to start off slowly.

Better leather or more choices when it comes to the leather you can get. This can come in the form of the leather being clicked or cut in such a manner the best part of the leather is used on the boots they make. With Viberg, Nicks, and Whites for example they will make their boots with noticeably much thicker leather. This contributing to a much heavier boot but much more solid as well. My Vibergs are extremely comfortable however and I didn't even experience any breakin as they were comfortable from day one. When it comes to options with regards to different leather choices Truman sets the standard here with some like Viberg and Whites offering more choices but not as many as Truman.

Better soles and more selection.

Better finishing

Fit is not guaranteed at any price point however.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 07:46 PM   #18
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I have a few Thursday products and thusfar, for a normal guy, on a normal day, with normal wear, they’ve been awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 08:03 PM   #19
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I like my Alden 405 original Indy boots, but they’re a bit heavy.
They have a lot that are similar if you like the style but not necessarily the color.
Different uppers, soles, etc. They’re more statement and function than style.
I have a pair of Alden Ultimate Indys from Leather Soul. High quality, nice fit and style, but they are very heavy. If there is a similar casual boot that is much lighter, I am all over it.
Old 13 October 2022, 08:14 PM   #20
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walds11 View Post
I have a pair of Alden Ultimate Indys from Leather Soul. High quality, nice fit and style, but they are very heavy. If there is a similar casual boot that is much lighter, I am all over it.
Generally speaking and I mean generally speaking it's been my experience the more money you spend especially on these type of boots you"ll find these type of boots to get heavier and it has a lot to do with the better materials they use. Alden by no means are the heaviest of the boots I wear. Also heavy often is just a matter of perspective and what you have experience with. I can tell you most of these boots are extremely comfortable to wear as long as you get a good fit. However my Edward Green Galways which cost a good bit more than my Aldens are not that much heavier if not about the same. Edward Greens are an entirely diffrent boot in the first place. It's not that I am saying this is a definitive pattern for all boots and they just keep getting heavier the more money you spend. I didn't include Edward Green initially because they make an entirely diffrent style of boot. Extremely nice but a totally different style of boot.

However in this category for good quality of boots if looking for something lighter I would explore Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers. Wolverione 1000 mile boots are some of the lightest boots I own. Good boots but often people are unsatisfied with the creasing that comes with the leather on this cheaper boot. I would recommend Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers over Wolverines.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 08:44 PM   #21
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
OP, I bought a pair of Thursday boots, ( President) model in tobacco. I find them uncomfortable. I still have them, however, I wear my Allen Edmonds Higgins boots more. I might be giving the Thursday boots away. Yes, for $200, there not bad. Personally, I don’t see myself wearing them again.
There are many reasons why a boot can be uncomfortable to include the fact that possibly they are just ill fitting. Something maybe where you just got the wrong size or that particular Last just doesn't work for your feet. For this reason this is a review with this current level of detail that should be taken with a grain of salt.

Personally without any actual experience with the brand at this price point and based on the negatives I've read about it's not a brand I would recommend. All I remember at this point are enough negatives it reflects a boot at this price point where quality can be spotty and materials used are not going to be as nice as I would like.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 08:46 PM   #22
Swearengen
"TRF" Member

Can't beat the good 'ol cherry red DMs

1680 1675 16800 16570 16710 17000 16613 17013

Gone but not forgotten 16610LV 1016
Swearengen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 08:56 PM   #23
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Generally speaking and I mean generally speaking it's been my experience the more money you spend especially on these type of boots you"ll find these type of boots to get heavier and it has a lot to do with the better materials they use. Alden by no means are the heaviest of the boots I wear. Also heavy often is just a matter of perspective and what you have experience with. I can tell you most of these boots are extremely comfortable to wear as long as you get a good fit. However my Edward Green Galways which cost a good bit more than my Aldens are not that much heavier if not about the same. Edward Greens are an entirely diffrent boot in the first place. It's not that I am saying this is a definitive pattern for all boots and they just keep getting heavier the more money you spend. I didn't include Edward Green initially because they make an entirely diffrent style of boot. Extremely nice but a totally different style of boot.

However in this category for good quality of boots if looking for something lighter I would explore Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers. Wolverione 1000 mile boots are some of the lightest boots I own. Good boots but often people are unsatisfied with the creasing that comes with the leather on this cheaper boot. I would recommend Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers over Wolverines.
I have a pair of Wolverine Courtland 1000 Mile boots. Yes, they are light, but meh in general. I use them as beaters. I’ll take a look at Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers.
Old 13 October 2022, 09:00 PM   #24
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have a pair of Wolverine Courtland 1000 Mile boots. Yes, they are light, but meh in general. I use them as beaters. I’ll take a look at Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers.
Yep, as I tried to point out they are not the best boots but more a reflection of the price point they sit at.

Be advised I have shoes and not boots from Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers and can personally vouch for their quality. Based on what I have seen I am assuming (although I believe strongly it to be true) that these would be lighter than Alden Boots.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 09:31 PM   #25
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep, as I tried to point out they are not the best boots but more a reflection of the price point they sit at.

Be advised I have shoes and not boots from Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers and can personally vouch for their quality. Based on what I have seen I am assuming (although I believe strongly it to be true) that these would be lighter than Alden Boots.
Some nice boots selections at Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers. The one that is most intriguing is the Oakstreet Bootmakers Cap-Toe Trench Boot with Vibram 4014 Christy Sole. The sole is lightweight and probably super comfy
Old 13 October 2022, 09:34 PM   #26
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Alden Indy boots. Enough said.

whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2022, 10:05 PM   #27
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some nice boots selections at Rancourt and Oakstreet Bootmakers. The one that is most intriguing is the Oakstreet Bootmakers Cap-Toe Trench Boot with Vibram 4014 Christy Sole. The sole is lightweight and probably super comfy
Cool

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 13 October 2022, 10:09 PM   #28
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whattimeyougot View Post
Alden Indy boots. Enough said.

Good boot and I have a pair but there really are plenty of real terrific boots out there. Alden Indy boots are hardly the last word when it comes to boots. Very often see that kind of comment from someone extremely happy with their Aldens which is fine but not from those who own or have experience with some of the more nicer boots out there.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 14 October 2022, 04:37 AM   #29
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I like my Wolverine 1000 mile boots. I've got 4 pairs, one of which are not particularly comfortable for me, but the other three are good to superb, depending on how broken-in they are and (maybe) who made them on what day. I suppose they may have used different lasts as well.

Fortunately, they have an easy return policy if they don't fit you.

Reasonably priced but I'm also a bit biased because I try to buy made in America as much as I possible can. So although an Alden is probably a better boot (albeit more expensive) they're not made here.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 04:50 AM   #30
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
I like my Wolverine 1000 mile boots. I've got 4 pairs, one of which are not particularly comfortable for me, but the other three are good to superb, depending on how broken-in they are and (maybe) who made them on what day. I suppose they may have used different lasts as well.

Fortunately, they have an easy return policy if they don't fit you.

Reasonably priced but I'm also a bit biased because I try to buy made in America as much as I possible can. So although an Alden is probably a better boot (albeit more expensive) they're not made here.
This is news to me. The last I heard Alden was made in the USA. Has something changed recently? There are others as well although many less than there were decades ago. But Whites, Nicks, WESCO, Rancourt, Oakstreet Bootmakers, and Allen Edmonds certainly are as well, just that Whites is no longer owned by a USA company.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons