The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2023, 10:27 AM   #1
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Let’s discuss the new Daytona 4131 movement changes.

So far the only difference I have dug up on the new 4131 is it has a new "perpetual rotor" with the same 72hr power reserve. It is suppose to be decorated slightly more which would makes sense for use on the Platinum display case back. Will the non Platinum models also be decorated the same or will Rolex just manufacture all the same?
Same column wheel with vertical clutch. Same Parachrom hairspring, manufactured by Rolex.
The 4130 also has a ball bearing rotor but one has to wonder if the new rotor will follow the noisier rotor trend of the 32 series rotors?? Other technical stats are still cryptic at this time.
Old 28 March 2023, 10:31 AM   #2
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Is the escapement on the 4130 and 4132 the same? I had it in my head that was the main difference, but I acknowledge I may not be clear on that point.
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:33 AM   #3
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Wait, the 4130 has the Chronergy escapement??
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:34 AM   #4
Santiago32
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO-LV-EXP1-BB58
I think the new movement is a 4131. Less parts and more decoration compared to the 4130 is what I read somewhere. Not sure about reliability.
Old 28 March 2023, 10:36 AM   #5
rover26c
2024 Pledge Member

It is from 4130 to 4131 (not 4132)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 382BF4AA-CE37-4DFF-80CE-0B271F16A2D0.jpeg (42.6 KB, 1522 views)
rover26c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:38 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
No correction, lever escapement in the 4130.
It will be interesting what the Chronergy escapement will yield over the lever escapement in this movement. My own personal accuracy and power reserve test on the 4130 has show outstanding accuracy long into its power reserve. Like holding a 2 second accuracy at the 60hr power reserve test.
Old 28 March 2023, 10:41 AM   #7
envuks

The movement finishing! It’s the biggest news of this whole release. By far!

I’m thinking all 4131s look exactly the same as the expedition back platona. Gold rotor and all.

Rolex moment finishing has always kind of lacked in a certain way compared to some other brands. Yes, this can be argued. And Rolex movements have many other benefits.

But if the all the 4131 moments look like the one they’ve shown, it’s a big shift for Rolex. A lot of people seem to feel it’s not enough finishing, but I think it’s a good move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:18 PM   #8
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
no way will the pt movement be in other refs
whats so special anyways for that price point
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 09:04 PM   #9
rolexgs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by envuks View Post
The movement finishing! It’s the biggest news of this whole release. By far!

I’m thinking all 4131s look exactly the same as the expedition back platona. Gold rotor and all.

Rolex moment finishing has always kind of lacked in a certain way compared to some other brands. Yes, this can be argued. And Rolex movements have many other benefits.

But if the all the 4131 moments look like the one they’ve shown, it’s a big shift for Rolex. A lot of people seem to feel it’s not enough finishing, but I think it’s a good move.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think only the new platona has gold motor, not all the new 2 series daytona
rolexgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:37 AM   #10
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Just got to just hope the Chronergy escapement doesn't import the same low amplitude issues seen in a proportion of 32xx's. That for me is the single biggest concern with the new Daytona.

I know watch companies have to be seen to be moving forward, but personally I don't see any benefit of changing from the 4130. It already ran +/-2 secs, had a great PR and was tried and tested. Absolutely zero benefit to messing with it IMO.

Still, since it will no doubt take me ages to get a 126500 from my AD, we'll have plenty of time to see the low amplitude complaints coming in before I need to part with any money!
Old 29 March 2023, 12:45 AM   #11
marmite2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: Slim wrist master
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post
Does anyone know if the rotor is 18k gold like an AP. It doesn't look to have a hallmark of any kind from the pictures.

If it's not 18k, what is it? Gold-plated, polished brass

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk
marmite2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:47 AM   #12
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite2005 View Post
Does anyone know if the rotor is 18k gold like an AP. It doesn't look to have a hallmark of any kind from the pictures.

If it's not 18k, what is it? Gold-plated, polished brass

Sent from my LE2113 using Tapatalk
In the new Platona it’s 18k solid skeletonized rotor. In all other models without a display case back I don’t think we know what it’s made of.
Old 29 March 2023, 12:48 AM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Yes a slightly different rotor and chronergy escapement but although now called a cal 4131 in the real world it's still basically a cal 4130 and doubt if more accurate.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:52 AM   #14
envuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexgs View Post

I’m sorry to be a debbie downer, but if this is the case it’s a big step down for the 4131 IMHO.

The rotor is probably comprised of less than $100 worth of gold material, and having a different movement in different variants of the watch feels hokey to me. Like “does this watch have the good version of the 4131 or the other one?”

Also, I think it would be debatable if the moment should carry the same reference number with such a difference.

I’m hopeful we find out all of the 4131s are the exact same. Exhibition caseback or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
Old 29 March 2023, 12:54 AM   #15
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Just got to just hope the Chronergy escapement doesn't import the same low amplitude issues seen in a proportion of 32xx's. That for me is the single biggest concern with the new Daytona.

I know watch companies have to be seen to be moving forward, but personally I don't see any benefit of changing from the 4130. It already ran +/-2 secs, had a great PR and was tried and tested. Absolutely zero benefit to messing with it IMO.

Still, since it will no doubt take me ages to get a 126500 from my AD, we'll have plenty of time to see the low amplitude complaints coming in before I need to part with any money!

Yea, I don’t even want to think about that yet until it hits one of our members wrist. I would hope it’s time keeping and power reserve will match the great 4130. Amplitude….? We will see.

I’ll be the first to admit I am a 4130 movement super fan. In my mind the greatest modern movement will always be the 4130. That is the be all, end all Rolex show of their first in-house chronograph movement. To me it was so ahead of its time and built in an era of a different Rolex company. Ball bearing rotor, 72 hr power reserve and accurate as hell. My 4130 keeps a +1 second a day in about all resting positions and on the wrist. Holds its +2/-2 accuracy past the 63hr mark in its 72.45hr power reserve test.
What more could anyone possibly want in a Rolex movement.

Sorry for the 4130 detour of admiration.
Old 29 March 2023, 12:58 AM   #16
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

Take a break about these bloody amplitude readings
Will you for Christ sake the watch is barely released
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:00 AM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
I’m sorry to be a debbie downer, but if this is the case it’s a big step down for the 4131 IMHO.

The rotor is probably comprised of less than $100 worth of gold material, and having a different movement in different variants of the watch feels hokey to me. Like “does this watch have the good version of the 4131 or the other one?”

Also, I think it would be debatable if the moment should carry the same reference number with such a difference.

I’m hopeful we find out all of the 4131s are the exact same. Exhibition caseback or not.

I highly doubt they’d be finished differently.

Hopefully someone here snags on soon and pops the caseback so we can have a looksee
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:02 AM   #18
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I agree, at this price point they all better have the exact same parts if you can see it or not. That’s always been the Rolex way.
Old 29 March 2023, 01:32 AM   #19
hl0m4n
"TRF" Member

it looks like only the platona has the 18k gold rotor (ap/patek use 22k). i was really hoping with a new caliber it include flyback function, but seems to be minor tweaks for less parts and movement efficiency.
Attached Images
File Type: png calib2.png (197.3 KB, 1199 views)
hl0m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:34 AM   #20
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Take a break about these bloody amplitude readings
Will you for Christ sake the watch is barely released
Yeah you're right. We should just talk about the benefits or otherwise of metal bezel rings and not mention something like the movement huh? Keep it superficial. Got it.

Mind you, last I checked this was a thread specifically about the new movement, so..... best not speak about the movement! And yes, any concerns about that may turn out to be entirely unfounded, but I like to keep my head out of the sand on these things.
Old 29 March 2023, 01:38 AM   #21
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
We all know the 4130 had incremental updates and upgrades over its 22 year run with little fanfare. My guess is the 4131 is just that, the embellished 4130, not even remotely a new design.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:38 AM   #22
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Yea, I don’t even want to think about that yet until it hits one of our members wrist. I would hope it’s time keeping and power reserve will match the great 4130. Amplitude….? We will see.

I’ll be the first to admit I am a 4130 movement super fan. In my mind the greatest modern movement will always be the 4130. That is the be all, end all Rolex show of their first in-house chronograph movement. To me it was so ahead of its time and built in an era of a different Rolex company. Ball bearing rotor, 72 hr power reserve and accurate as hell. My 4130 keeps a +1 second a day in about all resting positions and on the wrist. Holds its +2/-2 accuracy past the 63hr mark in its 72.45hr power reserve test.
What more could anyone possibly want in a Rolex movement.

Sorry for the 4130 detour of admiration.
No need to apologise - I agree with you! I'm not a fan of change just for change's sake.
Old 29 March 2023, 01:56 AM   #23
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Love the movement progression, tho yes current Daytona movements are pretty much rock solid. Am sure timegrapher jockeys will give details on the new movement once deliveries begin reaching ADs. I'm also curious if display backs will make their way to other models next year.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:06 AM   #24
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNouveau View Post
We all know the 4130 had incremental updates and upgrades over its 22 year run with little fanfare. My guess is the 4131 is just that, the embellished 4130, not even remotely a new design.
With all due respect, it is one of the best chronographs on the market. What can you really improve if they did not add features (date, flyback etc)

All in all, a revised 4130, and there is nothing wrong with that!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:29 AM   #25
envuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
it looks like only the platona has the 18k gold rotor (ap/patek use 22k). i was really hoping with a new caliber it include flyback function, but seems to be minor tweaks for less parts and movement efficiency.

If this turns out to be true, it’s a solid mistake for Rolex.

Old 29 March 2023, 02:30 AM   #26
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
As much as I am a Rolex fanboy, I think that Rolex is devolving into another Omega ... too many variants, and a reduction in quality. First, the debacle of the 32xx, then a 4131 that could have similar issues, then bland new designs, and then the joke of the balloon OP and Swatch-like DD. As for the clear caseback, I'm not impressed given that these are not haute horologie movements. In fact, the cost to Rolex of the sapphire caseback likely is far less than a full platinum caseback. So, an unfortunate example of cost-cutting while leading the customer to believe they're getting something preferable. At this point, I think Rolex has lost its way and, if the Crown-ship isn't righted soon, the self-inflicted damage could be irreparable.
Old 29 March 2023, 02:32 AM   #27
Omarion07
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George58 View Post
no way will the pt movement be in other refs
whats so special anyways for that price point
No, only the platinum will have a gold rotor and display caseback. The rest will have the standard rotor. I'm not sure if it's made of stainless steel?

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
Omarion07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:07 AM   #28
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarion07 View Post
No, only the platinum will have a gold rotor and display caseback. The rest will have the standard rotor. I'm not sure if it's made of stainless steel?
Yet ANOTHER reason why the platinum Daytona is a bargain!!!
Old 29 March 2023, 04:01 AM   #29
envuks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omarion07 View Post

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
So I spend $40k on a PM Daytona and I get the lesser version of the 4131 for my $40k…. That’s not exactly a feel good moment for a discerning buyer and here rolex is saving ~$100 in gold costs. This is silly. All the rotors should be 18k.

Old 29 March 2023, 04:14 AM   #30
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So I spend $40k on a PM Daytona and I get the lesser version of the 4131 for my $40k…. That’s not exactly a feel good moment for a discerning buyer and here rolex is saving ~$100 in gold costs. This is silly. All the rotors should be 18k.
I am very certain that both movements will function exactly the same with or without a solid gold rotor. I wouldn't call it a "lesser" movement for not having a gold rotor. If you want the "best movement", pony up and get the Platinum Daytona. Problem solved.