The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 March 2023, 12:26 AM   #61
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Well... to those of us who actually prefer Omega to Rolex (Im sure im not the only one), that's certainly not an insult.
Cwillis0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:18 AM   #62
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Definitely like the truely new introductions. The minor changes are more typical of how they progress (dials, dots, bezel surrounds...). Good to see some more interesting changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwillis0001 View Post
Well... to those of us who actually prefer Omega to Rolex (Im sure im not the only one), that's certainly not an insult.
Not overly fond of the watch of the month club.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:47 AM   #63
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBartlett View Post
Which bold OPs we're introduced last year?.. if memory serves they actually dropped the most popular ones..how's that for customer care.

The TT additions were just a lazy easy way to up the margins rather than any bold statement
Ironically there doesn't seem much love for the TT explorers either..

The bubbles thing is a nonsense , chances are they will make very few and only high profile celebs will get them and the autism awareness is pure virtual signalling..again earmarked for the select few

Rolex are as cynical as a business can be tbf tbh.
IMHO

To this point, I don't believe this watch is officially connected to any kind of awareness other than being a modern style suited for younger hype beast streetwear fashion purveyors and celebrities. Rolex has mentioned something in a release about the puzzle pieces corresponding to pieces of lives experienced or something..

As bad and as hard as people want ROLEX to be INVOLVED in some kind of social statement (both to praise and vilify), I just don't think this is the case with this reference.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:58 AM   #64
Bobcat Sig
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II, Exp Polar
Rolex is doing the right thing here. I know this because of the rave receptions they've received on this new release and from all the grumps here, decrying these fun, whimsical watches.
Bobcat Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 03:05 AM   #65
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenDelicate View Post
I love the direction Rolex is taking.
I agree! I have followed them for close to 50 years and to me they are one of the most successful companies on the planet. I sincerely appreciate each and every watch I've ever gotten from them.
Old 31 March 2023, 04:02 AM   #66
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I think they're doing just fine and functioning in a reasonably predictable way.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 04:06 AM   #67
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Pretty sure Clinton and George W both wore a Timex and Obama wore a Tag. A lot of those guys don't really care about fancy watches it seems.
I don't think what politicians wear is any barometer of anything really.

They're image conscious of alienating the public, by instead trying to look "everyman".

George Bush 1 got nailed when he couldn't name what the price of a quart of milk was in a debate with Clinton, and called out of touch with the general public.

I don't think a gold Rolex would be a good look.

What a politician wears has no more merit than what a celebrity wears to the Academy Awards. It's all about image.
Old 31 March 2023, 04:50 AM   #68
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
Quote:
Ding Ding Ding. Anyone who thinks Rolex is going after 50 plus bankers or doctors or lawyers with the sports car in the McMansion driveway and wrist shots with driving gloves... ...are probably 50 plus bankers or doctors or lawyers with the sports car in the McMansion driveway and wrist shots with driving gloves. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but no one stays the apex customer forever. Most of us aren't Rolex priorities, even those among us with lots of money and huge collections that go back 30 years. The top of the marketing game is no longer billboards and magazine spreads and race tracks. This isn't Mad Men lol. Big time marketing in this day and age is getting your product on the wrist of wildly popular 20 something Tik Tok stars. Sorry guys, but whatever bygone era you might long to return just ain't. Brave new world.
Good points. I'm glad to see Rolex lightening up personality wise. I'm just not a fan of the 2 most unusual releases (OP dippin' dots dial and the emoji DD). But then again I'm pushing 71 (a young 71!!!). I know they are trying to appeal to the younger demographics in their genius marketing ways, however, I can only shake my head and say wtf.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:02 AM   #69
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
The introduction of the exhibition caseback window for the first time in their history tells us everything we need to know. It's up to us as individuals to decide if we personally align with this new take.
goldboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:17 AM   #70
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post
The introduction of the exhibition caseback window for the first time in their history tells us everything we need to know. It's up to us as individuals to decide if we personally align with this new take.
I thought they've done it before, a while ago.
Old 31 March 2023, 05:44 AM   #71
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Rolex will go in whatever direction they see the largest pile of cash.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:16 AM   #72
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Without support and respect for vintage watches, their appeal has limitations.
Old 31 March 2023, 06:35 AM   #73
second time
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
IMHO Rolex are losing their way. They have a massive unacknowledged problem with their 32XX movements, and instead of reassuring loyal customers that they have a fix, they have turned their flagship PM-only model into something that looks like it could be got at a flea-market.
Maybe that's the whole idea, to distract.
Old 31 March 2023, 07:51 AM   #74
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Watches in general are on the gaudy side with all the colors and dials. And this is across most brands. The public must want this as the products are in great demand. I am just a plain white or black dial person with a black or same metal colored bezel. Not much for printed motifs or designs on the dials. Much more into finer dial techniques such as hand pattern engraving or enamel. I would not expect much to change in the near term.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 09:21 AM   #75
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Rolex has not lost their way. Rolex is, and always has been amazing at marketing. Their brand has always projected an image. The image it projects can be changed and added to depending on the time period.

Rolex is simply adding some fun models to please a different crowd while still producing the watches that their historic buyers like.

Like it or not, Social Media is a powerhouse. There are young kids putting out content many of you think is stupid yet it gets millions of eyeballs and brands see this. Don't kid yourself in thinking "Rolex is above this."

All of this to say, this all feels normal to me. Rolex is doing what any successful company has done throughout the ages. It adapts to the current market and does what it needs to be successful.

If you are looking at Rolex and thinking to yourself "Rolex is not creating watches for me or people like me anymore."; you could be right. Time to enjoy what you have and start looking around at other brands.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 09:26 AM   #76
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post
Rolex has not lost their way. Rolex is, and always has been amazing at marketing. Their brand has always projected an image. The image it projects can be changed and added to depending on the time period.

Rolex is simply adding some fun models to please a different crowd while still producing the watches that their historic buyers like.

Like it or not, Social Media is a powerhouse. There are young kids putting out content many of you think is stupid yet it gets millions of eyeballs and brands see this. Don't kid yourself in thinking "Rolex is above this."

All of this to say, this all feels normal to me. Rolex is doing what any successful company has done throughout the ages. It adapts to the current market and does what it needs to be successful.

If you are looking at Rolex and thinking to yourself "Rolex is not creating watches for me or people like me anymore."; you could be right. Time to enjoy what you have and start looking around at other brands.
Absolutely 100% spot on.
Old 31 March 2023, 09:38 AM   #77
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezorra View Post
Every time Rolex releases new models, I realize that the brand steadily reflects who I am as a person less and less, and at an accelerating rate. I have realized that I love Rolex mainly for what it used to be; it’s legacy, it’s stories, the many marks it has made on history.

But if Rolex was launched today with only the models they offer now, at the price they offer them, I would probably think they were among the most uninspired, gaudy, and unnecessarily overpriced watches on the market, existing only for hype’s sake. I’m not into male jewelry or vulgar displays of wealth for its own sake, so I wouldn’t be the least bit impressed.

And my brand would probably be Tudor.

Nail and head comes to mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31 March 2023, 09:40 AM   #78
Rico_Brasole
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJ View Post

Exactly!

That’s why this…

….Sits in a case

And this gets all my wrist time

Rico_Brasole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 09:48 AM   #79
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
What do you think about the direction Rolex is taking?

They have to appeal to a younger audience or they will lose to the Apple Watch once we are all gone. These loud designs are necessary to get attention in a noisy social media room.
Old 31 March 2023, 09:50 AM   #80
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Bling not Tool.
Old 31 March 2023, 10:10 AM   #81
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by second time View Post
IMHO Rolex are losing their way. They have a massive unacknowledged problem with their 32XX movements, and instead of reassuring loyal customers that they have a fix, they have turned their flagship PM-only model into something that looks like it could be got at a flea-market.
Maybe that's the whole idea, to distract.
Their target market actually thinks you buy fleas at a flea-market.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 10:18 AM   #82
Cwillis0001
"TRF" Member

Let's not forget that Rolex isn't exactly new to the tacky as hell design game. That leopard or tiger Daytona? Kee-rist. From a couple feet away some of their gem set stuff looks like something a preteen would win in a game of skee ball. This new thing is downright understated compared to some Rolex models.
Old 31 March 2023, 11:30 AM   #83
rlx123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG123 View Post
I think the bubble dial looks cheap and is not a good one for the Rolex brand image.

It looks like it belongs in a Swatch or Invicta collection.

rlx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 11:34 AM   #84
Slimpee
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DJ 41; 1803; BB Ch
I haven’t read through all of the responses so maybe this has already been mentioned, but Rolex has a history of bright dials, stone, wood, etc. as well as funky, fashion forward designs (King Midas anyone?).

I think it’s great that they’re doing funky stuff. I don’t think it diminishes the value of “traditional” pieces.

Keep it up!
Slimpee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:00 PM   #85
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
They have to appeal to a younger audience or they will lose to the Apple Watch once we are all gone. These loud designs are necessary to get attention in a noisy social media room.
Apple sold over 50 million Apple Watches last year.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:24 PM   #86
Kenny G
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
Times change. A no date Sub is approaching ten grand. “A man and his Rolex” died a long time ago. This is not a criticism so much as it is a statement of fact. The brand is now something different than what it once was. It is what it is.
Fully agree. Times change and things evolve…for better and for worse.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:34 PM   #87
BayAreaTech
"TRF" Member

I agree with many others here that the Exhibition Casebacks are the real shift. Everything else is standard Rolex. New colors, moving older models to "newer" movements. Etc...

Considering most of haute horology (which Rolex is officially branded) have machine finishing. Looking forward to the reliable movement + on-par finishing techniques to give some competition. Time will tell.
BayAreaTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 09:26 PM   #88
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
With the exception of the OPs, it looks like everything they make is an unannounced limited edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwer View Post
I don't think Rolex has changed much this year. For the most part the new releases are the same elegant and practical configurations. One bubble dial out of countless configurations and some people are up in arms. These would be so limited that no regular customers are going to get them anyway.

I would only start to worry if they started to release "limited editions" after some movie or cartoon characters.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 02:59 AM   #89
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
To this point, I don't believe this watch is officially connected to any kind of awareness other than being a modern style suited for younger hype beast streetwear fashion purveyors and celebrities. Rolex has mentioned something in a release about the puzzle pieces corresponding to pieces of lives experienced or something..

As bad and as hard as people want ROLEX to be INVOLVED in some kind of social statement (both to praise and vilify), I just don't think this is the case with this reference.

Tbf no I don't believe they did BUT if you look at autism awareness posters which feature different block coloured jigsaw pieces and buzz words but suggest Rolex have nothing do with AA or promoting AA then it could be viewed as even more cynical by straight nicking AA's styling clues to make a cool trendy watch only for celebs to up your own company profile etc
without the decency to acknowledge AA for the design

I guess you could argue it raises AA awareness as most people are not aware of AA so who cares?
but that's hardly the point

If I was a director of AA I'd be asking our lawyers what they thought of this because you'd be darn sure Rolex are quick out the blocks at the slightest hint of any intellectual copyright infringement if and when they see it.
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 03:09 AM   #90
goldboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500
Quote:
I thought they've done it before, a while ago.
Not that I'm aware of, it was a big deal because they've never done it before. I could be wrong maybe there was a very limited release of something if anyone knows?
goldboy is offline   Reply With Quote