The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 January 2019, 12:46 PM   #1
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Zeitwerk Thoughts

Wanted to get some opinions on the Lange Zeitwerk.

I really liked the new date version unveiled at sihh 2019, but I’m thinking the 44mm case size will be a dealbreaker (I’ve tried on the striking time in the past, which is also 44mm and found it to be a bit too large, though I understand the new date version is a bit thinner).

So, I’m leaning toward the standard / original zeitwerk as a possibility (41.9mm case), either the white gold / black dial or rose gold / silver dial. Any owners out there? Any thoughts? Would it be crazy to trade a datograph for one?
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 08:22 PM   #2
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I dont own one but after getting my grand lange last year, i have set my sights on the zeitwerk. Either the standard or striking time. The new date looks nice also but doesnt sing to me (at least in pictures).

I like it in RG. Although the black dial is strong as well. The WG/black is now available at my AD but waiting to see the RG in the flesh before i decide.

Not a fan of the datograph. But i know several who are. So my advice - why trade? Just have both.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2019, 10:11 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

from the pics i dont like the date verson. The standard zeitwerk wears really well and it looks better to me.

No way i would trade a Dato for one though.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 03:10 AM   #4
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
from the pics i dont like the date verson. The standard zeitwerk wears really well and it looks better to me.

No way i would trade a Dato for one though.
That’s my dilemma...I like the white gold/black dial, but the color scheme is very similar to the platinum datograph, so seems a bit duplicative
Old 21 January 2019, 03:26 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
That’s my dilemma...I like the white gold/black dial, but the color scheme is very similar to the platinum datograph, so seems a bit duplicative
I've never thought i would be able to own both. based on cost/brand diversity/resale etc

the WG ZW and the Pt Dato would be the two i would struggle to pick between. I just am afraid i would get tired of the ZW in time and the dato is more visually interesting even if its not as unique as the ZW. Tough call really
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 04:11 AM   #6
base924
"TRF" Member

Hi! That is hard choice. Dato or Zeitwerk. I was in the same (positive) dilemma half a year ago, and I decided in favor of the ZW. To me this watch is so much unlike anything else. The visual simplicity and legibility which is in fact very complicated, is just amazing. In fact the ZW is graded in group with the double split in terms of difficulty of service by Lange. Also the flipping of the numerals is truly enjoyable. If the time is less than 10 sec to 60, it's hard not to keep looking! Very interesting caseback as well. Very different as well...
I don't think I will grow tired of the watch any time soon.
The dato on the other hand is a classic masterpiece and one I hope to be able to add at a later time, but it is in fierce competition with the 1815 chrono, which to me really is beautiful and with a very good pricetag in the Lange range.

Sendt fra min WAS-LX1 med Tapatalk
base924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 09:42 AM   #7
Pongster
"TRF" Member

I read somewhere that the ZW is the best second lange to have.

Each one will have his own choice for a first - lange 1, datograph, 1815 or saxonia. Classic.

Then the ZW. Boom.
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 10:48 AM   #8
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I've never thought i would be able to own both. based on cost/brand diversity/resale etc

the WG ZW and the Pt Dato would be the two i would struggle to pick between. I just am afraid i would get tired of the ZW in time and the dato is more visually interesting even if its not as unique as the ZW. Tough call really
Similar thoughts for me...will the novelty wear off
Old 21 January 2019, 10:49 AM   #9
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by base924 View Post
Hi! That is hard choice. Dato or Zeitwerk. I was in the same (positive) dilemma half a year ago, and I decided in favor of the ZW. To me this watch is so much unlike anything else. The visual simplicity and legibility which is in fact very complicated, is just amazing. In fact the ZW is graded in group with the double split in terms of difficulty of service by Lange. Also the flipping of the numerals is truly enjoyable. If the time is less than 10 sec to 60, it's hard not to keep looking! Very interesting caseback as well. Very different as well...
I don't think I will grow tired of the watch any time soon.
The dato on the other hand is a classic masterpiece and one I hope to be able to add at a later time, but it is in fierce competition with the 1815 chrono, which to me really is beautiful and with a very good pricetag in the Lange range.

Which metal did you go with?
Old 21 January 2019, 12:17 PM   #10
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Mike, I've thought a similar thought, out with the Dato in with the ZW. I've never pulled the trigger on it though.

The main hesitation for me is the size, or more precisely how it wears. While the dimensions don't make this obvious it wears much bigger than the Dato Up/Down. In part this is due to the case shape, not having that step back on the rear which the Dato has, and which makes the watch seem less thick. Also, the dial layout / design just means that visually the dial (and therefore the whole watch) just seems much bigger than the Dato Up/Down.

But if you have a wrist to handle it, then these won't be an issue.

My choice in the end was something similar but very different, Journe's Vagabondage II. Same thing, very different package.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 01:58 PM   #11
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I almost bought one.. Went with Datograph and have not regretted my decision. Of course I do like both.. and cannot fault getting either. I did wonder about the novelty wearing off but until I get one will never know. :)
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 04:59 PM   #12
base924
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Which metal did you go with?
I decided for the WG. I think it wears more casual and therefore more suitable for my specific lifestyle. Cheers.

Old 21 January 2019, 10:13 PM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I was keen on both ZW and Dato, and I was maybe favouring the ZW for its innovation and uniqueness but when I handled one it didn't seem to have a quick change hour so I had to scroll thru only the minutes and it felt a bit finicky and the chance of causing some damage seemed high, esp if you don't wear this as a daily.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2019, 10:37 PM   #14
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
I owned both the platinum and wg ZW both amazing watches. They truly have presence and watching the time change is pretty cool! Also owning an original Dato, it would be a tough call. The original Dato to me is such an iconic watch and if one could own only one Lange it would be hard one to argue against.

Also Neil never found them finicky at all quite the contrary IMHO.

PS Don’t like the new ZW at all. Stick to the classic! The watch is big and thick enough that you don’t need more of it.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2019, 09:05 AM   #15
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
Mike, I've thought a similar thought, out with the Dato in with the ZW. I've never pulled the trigger on it though.

The main hesitation for me is the size, or more precisely how it wears. While the dimensions don't make this obvious it wears much bigger than the Dato Up/Down. In part this is due to the case shape, not having that step back on the rear which the Dato has, and which makes the watch seem less thick. Also, the dial layout / design just means that visually the dial (and therefore the whole watch) just seems much bigger than the Dato Up/Down.

But if you have a wrist to handle it, then these won't be an issue.

My choice in the end was something similar but very different, Journe's Vagabondage II. Same thing, very different package.
Interesting thoughts, much appreciated. I think I need to visit my AD with my dato on for a better comparison. I hadn’t thought of the vagabond, which version did you get?
Old 22 January 2019, 09:05 AM   #16
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I almost bought one.. Went with Datograph and have not regretted my decision. Of course I do like both.. and cannot fault getting either. I did wonder about the novelty wearing off but until I get one will never know. :)
Exactly my concerns...I guess not terribly difficult to reaquire
Old 22 January 2019, 09:07 AM   #17
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I owned both the platinum and wg ZW both amazing watches. They truly have presence and watching the time change is pretty cool! Also owning an original Dato, it would be a tough call. The original Dato to me is such an iconic watch and if one could own only one Lange it would be hard one to argue against.

Also Neil never found them finicky at all quite the contrary IMHO.

PS Don’t like the new ZW at all. Stick to the classic! The watch is big and thick enough that you don’t need more of it.
Thanks for the thoughts Ken. I’ve been going through the Lange thread, especially your wrist shots that feature both the dato and zeitwerk on the same wrist, very helpful! Still torn, I guess I’m just going to think on it
Old 22 January 2019, 05:17 PM   #18
SearChart
TechXpert

I like the Zeitwerk, but I would never trade a dato for it. The Datograph is the best thing Lange makes IMO (seen and tried both in the flesh)
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2019, 12:54 AM   #19
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I’d prefer the datograph but having already owned it maybe it’s different when that bridge has been crossed already. At the very least you made the right choice starting with the dato!
Old 23 January 2019, 11:17 AM   #20
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I like the Zeitwerk, but I would never trade a dato for it. The Datograph is the best thing Lange makes IMO (seen and tried both in the flesh)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I’d prefer the datograph but having already owned it maybe it’s different when that bridge has been crossed already. At the very least you made the right choice starting with the dato!
Thanks guys. I think I need to at least wait and see what baselworld brings...
Old 23 January 2019, 01:56 PM   #21
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Interesting thoughts, much appreciated. I think I need to visit my AD with my dato on for a better comparison. I hadn’t thought of the vagabond, which version did you get?
I bought the VII in Rose Gold. Obviously a completely different watch to the ZW but for me infinitely more wearable and elegant (given the size, case shape).

It too suffers from the lack of a quickset hour. While it's not an issue really every time I do grab the watch to put it on it always seems to take ages to flip through minute by minute to current time.

Back to the ZW, go to your AD and get both on the wrist.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 12:27 AM   #22
sxdcfv
Banned

I prefer the Zeitwerk. There is a wonderful juxtaposition between the presentation of time in the simplest way and the extreme complication 'under the hood' to make this happen. It is a perfect balance between complex and simple....probably the best presentation for this combination.
sxdcfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 03:32 AM   #23
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I personally would rather have the Datograph but the Zeitwerk is a very unique piece and would make for a great second Lange if you could have two. I like the original version of the Zeitwerk best and prefer it in white gold, although I wish Lange offered it in platinum.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 03:34 AM   #24
base924
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxdcfv View Post
I prefer the Zeitwerk. There is a wonderful juxtaposition between the presentation of time in the simplest way and the extreme complication 'under the hood' to make this happen. It is a perfect balance between complex and simple....probably the best presentation for this combination.
Agree!

Old 27 January 2019, 03:50 AM   #25
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I like the original version of the Zeitwerk best and prefer it in white gold, although I wish Lange offered it in platinum.
They did.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 03:56 AM   #26
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
They did.
Good to know. I just wish it was still in production.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 12:44 AM   #27
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
I bought the VII in Rose Gold. Obviously a completely different watch to the ZW but for me infinitely more wearable and elegant (given the size, case shape).

It too suffers from the lack of a quickset hour. While it's not an issue really every time I do grab the watch to put it on it always seems to take ages to flip through minute by minute to current time.

Back to the ZW, go to your AD and get both on the wrist.
Interesting, I’m going to track down a Journe to try on as well
Old 28 January 2019, 12:46 AM   #28
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxdcfv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I personally would rather have the Datograph but the Zeitwerk is a very unique piece and would make for a great second Lange if you could have two. I like the original version of the Zeitwerk best and prefer it in white gold, although I wish Lange offered it in platinum.
I currently have a 1st gen 1815 chrono and a dato...I think a white/silver dial 1815 chrono and a wg black dial zeitwerk might be a better combo
Old 29 January 2019, 02:11 AM   #29
Burdeens Jewelry
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I currently have a 1st gen 1815 chrono and a dato...I think a white/silver dial 1815 chrono and a wg black dial zeitwerk might be a better combo
1815 chrono is a beautiful piece. I think advantage over the Datonis that you’ll have a slimmer piece. The Dato and the Zeitwerk make for a thick pair of watches. If you’re looking for something a little narrower you can always put the 1815 chrono on.
Burdeens Jewelry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 02:37 AM   #30
Burdeens Jewelry
"TRF" Member

Double post please delete
Burdeens Jewelry is offline   Reply With Quote