The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 20 May 2017, 02:36 AM   #31
michael.spencer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danishtext View Post
On my personal note, the reason I wanted a Rolex is to have a solid and serious watch. For some unknown reason I am attracted to it. It seems every part of Rolex is well thought and well designed. I can not deny that a part of me feels that owning a Rolex would be a status symbol as well. But now, once I own it, I tend to wear the watch under the cuff as I were rather hiding than exposing it. It is almost as if I wanted that my relation with the watch that I am wearing would be a secret because wearing a Rolex gives me so much satisfaction on so many different levels.
Well said could not agree more! Congrats on a beautiful watch!
michael.spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2017, 12:59 PM   #32
NoWuffo
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Beautiful watch, and great story, thanks for sharing. Wear it in good health, blue skies!!!
NoWuffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2017, 08:38 PM   #33
ejvette
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me break clays..
Congrats its a beautiful classic piece

"The only difference between crazy and eccentric is the size of ones bank account" Anonymous

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
ejvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2017, 10:43 AM   #34
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 03:10 PM   #35
watchmework
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO, 116600
Congrats, I agree with you that it's definitely an incredible watch...I myself recently picked one up, haven't stopped staring at it since.
watchmework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:23 AM   #36
TakeOnNN
"TRF" Member

great review and thanks for your effort. I'm looking towards the same model and one thing is still top of mind. Please don't kill me for this, but i'm going to ask me anyway. Whats your practical experience with business long sleeve shirts and wear due to the bezel?

regards,
René
TakeOnNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:26 AM   #37
rynegne
"TRF" Member

Beautiful watch! I myself keep debating on the date or no date. Hopefully, by the time I'm done saving I'll have made up my mind.
rynegne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 01:28 PM   #38
Cigarlvr07
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Congrats a true classic that you will never grow bored of
Cigarlvr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2017, 03:31 AM   #39
Danishtext
"TRF" Member

Hi René,

I buy my shirts from different stores. So some have tight fitting long sleeve and others have looser fittings. With the tight fitting, the sleeve does not cover the watch at all. While the loose fitting sleeve, the watch is usually positioned underneath the sleeve. As far as my experience goes, no problem so far with the bezel or the sleeve. Hope this helps. Cheers
Danishtext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 11:18 PM   #40
GMViloria
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
You had a wonderful journey, literally and figuratively, in acquiring such a beautiful piece! Thank you for sharing your story. Wear it in good health! Cheers!
GMViloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2017, 11:21 PM   #41
Shamifinewatchmaking
"TRF" Member

Icon3

Congratulations! wear it in good health. it is a beautiful timepiece.
Shamifinewatchmaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2017, 09:41 AM   #42
Tbonewalk
"TRF" Member

I can relate! March, 2016, I purchased the first Rolex I ever laid my hands on, a brother of yours... 14060, from 1991. Love your story and your watch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Patina copy.jpg (139.7 KB, 214 views)
Tbonewalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2017, 12:23 AM   #43
FAsnakes
"TRF" Member

Congrats, great choice
FAsnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2017, 10:14 PM   #44
Sakuru
"TRF" Member

Congratulations on such a successful acquisition! Nice to read that your mission to Ceuta worked out well.

I share your admiration for no-date watches. While my own Rolex has the date function, I don't miss it on my Omega Speedie Pro.

Quote:
[T]he reason I wanted a Rolex is to have a solid and serious watch. For some unknown reason I am attracted to it. It seems every part of Rolex is well thought and well designed. I can not deny that a part of me feels that owning a Rolex would be a status symbol as well. But now, once I own it, I tend to wear the watch under the cuff as I were rather hiding than exposing it. It is almost as if I wanted that my relation with the watch that I am wearing would be a secret because wearing a Rolex gives me so much satisfaction on so many different levels.
Well said!

One should buy a fine wristwatch for the personal and private satisfaction of ownership, rather than the (vain) hope of impressing others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
[T]he 114060 ... has all the latest technology and innovation from Rolex yet still looks functional and relatively straightforward.
Exactly!
Sakuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2017, 09:33 PM   #45
Arclight
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Great review, great watch! Tough, handsome and accurate! I wear mine more than any other.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2017, 02:32 PM   #46
gbcecil
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 118238
By far one of my favorites, Congrats!
Old 17 August 2017, 06:24 AM   #47
nick63
"TRF" Member

Lovely watch, well done and thanks for sharing your story.
nick63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2017, 08:30 PM   #48
Danishtext
"TRF" Member

Update on the SubC No Date

It has been two years since I have purchased the watch and with your permission, I would like to share my experiences so far on this wonderful watch.

Beforehand, I am truly honoured that so many Rolex brothers and sisters read this post and sticking to the noble tradition of this esteemed forum, conveying well wishes and words of encouragement to each other. It is this sensation of cameraderie and honesty that makes this forum, this circle, a great place to belong to.

The build. One thing that I have to say about this watch is that it is built like a tank. Sure based on the price of the watch it could be a piece of jewellery. But I think the designers started out with the concept that this watch should be a tool before anything else. On my wrist, I have taken it diving in the cold Atlantic ocean and in the warm waters in Belitung Island (Java Sea). It has also endured the harsh desert of Mauritania in Africa for a couple of days. It stays calm and keeps good time.

The scratches. The first cup is always the deepest, but I get used to it. I want to keep the watch in good condition and after several weeks the way I move adjusts accordingly, like how you type or how you walk with your hands a little raised in crowded, enclosed spaces so your watch does not scratch on the walls, even how you take off your seat belt. It is just a matter of habit I think. After a while the watch accumulates micro scratches but still maintains the Rolex shine. If you ask me now, I probably would not polish it during servicing. Maybe I will change my mind, who knows.

The feel. It is still comfortable and yet has this significant weight. I could wear a it all day without taking it off. Sometimes it accumulates grease and dirt and perhaps it is my imagination, the movement of the strap is affected so it won't move as freely. Then I would wash it with water and a little dish washing soap. It will feel clean and refresh again and good to go.

The attention. Not so much really. Only two gentlemen complimented directly on all this time. I think most people don't care too much or unless pointed out by other people, will not take notice.

The competition. After a while I would look at other Rolex watches such as the Daytona, or the new 43 SD, the BLNR. Perhaps the closest I ever desire other than this one is the Hulk. The Hulk is beautiful in pictures and even more in the wild. Then again, the Hulk would be difficult for me as some colours do not go as well with green than with black. The black bezel of the SubC is neutral and goes well with all colours. In my case, having both watches is not really an option as I would probably spend 15 minutes deciding on colour combination every morning. So, the bold colour choice stays on the socks in my case.

The conclusion. I like it even more now than before. There are times when wearing a Rolex is not quite right I suppose so I have gotten a Oris sixty five diver Deauville for backup. The Oris is very good watch by all means, but I keep longing for the Rolex. It is really a part of me now and I am satisfied with my purchase. Sorry for my bad english and have a nice day everyone. I am also attaching pictures of the watch in the tropic and picture of Belitung island in Java sea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg belitung.jpg (113.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8824.JPG (125.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8825.JPG (121.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8826.JPG (124.5 KB, 86 views)
Danishtext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2017, 02:28 AM   #49
RHJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk1
Quote:
It has been two years since I have purchased the watch and with your permission, I would like to share my experiences so far on this wonderful watch.

Beforehand, I am truly honoured that so many Rolex brothers and sisters read this post and sticking to the noble tradition of this esteemed forum, conveying well wishes and words of encouragement to each other. It is this sensation of cameraderie and honesty that makes this forum, this circle, a great place to belong to.

The build. One thing that I have to say about this watch is that it is built like a tank. Sure based on the price of the watch it could be a piece of jewellery. But I think the designers started out with the concept that this watch should be a tool before anything else. On my wrist, I have taken it diving in the cold Atlantic ocean and in the warm waters in Belitung Island (Java Sea). It has also endured the harsh desert of Mauritania in Africa for a couple of days. It stays calm and keeps good time.

The scratches. The first cup is always the deepest, but I get used to it. I want to keep the watch in good condition and after several weeks the way I move adjusts accordingly, like how you type or how you walk with your hands a little raised in crowded, enclosed spaces so your watch does not scratch on the walls, even how you take off your seat belt. It is just a matter of habit I think. After a while the watch accumulates micro scratches but still maintains the Rolex shine. If you ask me now, I probably would not polish it during servicing. Maybe I will change my mind, who knows.

The feel. It is still comfortable and yet has this significant weight. I could wear a it all day without taking it off. Sometimes it accumulates grease and dirt and perhaps it is my imagination, the movement of the strap is affected so it won't move as freely. Then I would wash it with water and a little dish washing soap. It will feel clean and refresh again and good to go.

The attention. Not so much really. Only two gentlemen complimented directly on all this time. I think most people don't care too much or unless pointed out by other people, will not take notice.

The competition. After a while I would look at other Rolex watches such as the Daytona, or the new 43 SD, the BLNR. Perhaps the closest I ever desire other than this one is the Hulk. The Hulk is beautiful in pictures and even more in the wild. Then again, the Hulk would be difficult for me as some colours do not go as well with green than with black. The black bezel of the SubC is neutral and goes well with all colours. In my case, having both watches is not really an option as I would probably spend 15 minutes deciding on colour combination every morning. So, the bold colour choice stays on the socks in my case.

The conclusion. I like it even more now than before. There are times when wearing a Rolex is not quite right I suppose so I have gotten a Oris sixty five diver Deauville for backup. The Oris is very good watch by all means, but I keep longing for the Rolex. It is really a part of me now and I am satisfied with my purchase. Sorry for my bad english and have a nice day everyone. I am also attaching pictures of the watch in the tropic and picture of Belitung island in Java sea
thanks for this report of wearing a Rolex. Mine (214270 ) has 90% of the wrist time and I miss it immediately when wearing others.