The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 17 July 2008, 11:57 PM   #1
Cuyperx

Watch: M 16610 Lunette Ve
Icon20 How many SUBMARINER 16610LV 50TH ANNIVERSARY Rolex produce for this model

I am pretty curious about the question as I asked above, everybody told me this specific model is ANNIVERSARY EDITION and some even told me is LIMITED EDITION.... I just want to know how many of these watch ROLEX produce... anybody have the answer, please share because recently I bought this model M series they told me this watch as above stated ANNIVERSARY EDITION, LIMITED EDITION
Cuyperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 01:29 AM   #2
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuyperx View Post
I am pretty curious about the question as I asked above, everybody told me this specific model is ANNIVERSARY EDITION and some even told me is LIMITED EDITION.... I just want to know how many of these watch ROLEX produce... anybody have the answer, please share because recently I bought this model M series they told me this watch as above stated ANNIVERSARY EDITION, LIMITED EDITION
WELCOME TO TRF PL!!!

Only Rolex knows.
But I think the production is less than regular 16610.

Best Regards, TR.
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 03:37 AM   #3
Jimbits76
"TRF" Member

It aint limited. It's a different dial and a different bezel is all.

I would imagine a BNIB original 50th might be worth a little more but otherwise, they are pretty much as valuable as a normal sub...give or take a couple of hundred quid.

If you want a watch, buy it because you love it's style, not because it might be worth more in the future.

J
Jimbits76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2008, 06:23 AM   #4
Spare201
Banned

Watch: 1970 Day-Date
I know it is not limited. I think that Jewelers and Rolex are misrepresenting the "rarity" of these watches. If it were a limited piece why have I seen them with "M" serial numbers?

I think is is just the word of mouth advertiseng that helps sell the watch. Because after all it is merely a cosmetic difference between this watch and the regular version. Is that really worth the $400 bucks and all the asskissing for a cosmetic diffrence?

For a while some authorised dealers considered a "good customer" watch. A lot of dealers still do. Meaning some retailers horde them and sell them to "good" customers. Personally I think it is a cool piece but it is FAR from limited, controlled distribution, yes. Kinda like a slightly-less-hard-to-get stainless Daytona.

An authorised Rolex Jeweler I used to work for you had had an interesting system for selling Stainless daytonas and the special edition subs. To sell one of these watches you would have the purchase approved by higher management, meaning they would examine your customer's purchase history before you could sell it to them. The upper management never gave me a precise dollar amount though as to what qualified a good customer, though. I thought all it did was add a snooty factor to that company.

BTW the above is factual. I have worked for two Rolex dealers in La., in a salesperson capacity, I am now transitioning to being a watchmaker.
Spare201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2008, 04:44 AM   #5
VictorN
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare201 View Post
Is that really worth the $400 bucks and all the asskissing for a cosmetic diffrence?
A huge price difference, isnt it?!
VictorN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2008, 05:39 AM   #6
xtra3cats
Banned

Quote:
I know it is not limited. I think that Jewelers and Rolex are misrepresenting the "rarity" of these watches. If it were a limited piece why have I seen them with "M" serial numbers?

I think is is just the word of mouth advertiseng that helps sell the watch. Because after all it is merely a cosmetic difference between this watch and the regular version. Is that really worth the $400 bucks and all the asskissing for a cosmetic diffrence?

For a while some authorised dealers considered a "good customer" watch. A lot of dealers still do. Meaning some retailers horde them and sell them to "good" customers. Personally I think it is a cool piece but it is FAR from limited, controlled distribution, yes. Kinda like a slightly-less-hard-to-get stainless Daytona.

An authorised Rolex Jeweler I used to work for you had had an interesting system for selling Stainless daytonas and the special edition subs. To sell one of these watches you would have the purchase approved by higher management, meaning they would examine your customer's purchase history before you could sell it to them. The upper management never gave me a precise dollar amount though as to what qualified a good customer, though. I thought all it did was add a snooty factor to that company.

BTW the above is factual. I have worked for two Rolex dealers in La., in a salesperson capacity, I am now transitioning to being a watchmaker.
Exactly what my AD in Houston told me yesterday. Made me forget about owning a BNIB SS Daytona through an AD.
xtra3cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2008, 03:38 AM   #7
DCB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
not sure but it seems like there are a lot out there - no longer a premium but rather a discount on the grey market.

it's definitely an anniversary edition (green bezel insert and maxi dial) and limited edition (as production will end one day). I guess the real anniversary editions were the first ones - sold in 2004.

enjoy it and wear in good health,

Don
16710 Pepsi (Z-Series)
16610 LV (V-Series)
DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2008, 09:41 AM   #8
mike
"TRF" Member

The LV was designed to "Commemorate 50 years of the Submariner". While there are fewer made, it is not a "rare" watch nor is it a "limited production" reference.

It is a regular production item. As to how many---no one can answer that (except Rolex).
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Parachrom
"TRF" Member

You buy a Rolex.. and you wear it for free.!
Parachrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2008, 02:28 AM   #10
Cuyperx

Spare201 nice explanation
Old 31 August 2008, 12:37 PM   #11
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Can you buy and fit a maxi dial and a green bezel at an AD for $400?

I don't think so.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2008, 11:12 PM   #12
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

I don't think so.
GREAT answer!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 03:13 AM   #13
Spare201
Banned

Watch: 1970 Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post

I don't think so.
I could actually buy the maxi dial and the LV green insert for less than 400. Even better answer. Why bother?

BTW limited editions are numbered and no secret is made to how many are made.

Seriously... if you are willing to pay more for the same watch with a different color/dial choice, good for you. Most of the people who bought them from me came in with the attitude of "everyone is wearing submariners these days, I want something different." So rather than buy something different, in rolex or another brand, they would ask for the LV subs just so they could stand out. OR they would pay 50%over msrp on Ebay to be different, if for some reason I didn't have it. I hope you didn't overpay, for a "limited edition". BTW from what I have seen in my region the LV is far from limited, at the begining or now. For every 10 steel subs you see one LV, about the same ratio for a S/G blue dial sub. It is the grey market that has influenced the percieved value of this watch.
Spare201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 04:01 AM   #14
Cuyperx

Icon7

Quote:
I could actually buy the maxi dial and the LV green insert for less than 400. Even better answer. Why bother?

BTW limited editions are numbered and no secret is made to how many are made.

Seriously... if you are willing to pay more for the same watch with a different color/dial choice, good for you. Most of the people who bought them from me came in with the attitude of "everyone is wearing submariners these days, I want something different." So rather than buy something different, in rolex or another brand, they would ask for the LV subs just so they could stand out. OR they would pay 50%over msrp on Ebay to be different, if for some reason I didn't have it. I hope you didn't overpay, for a "limited edition". BTW from what I have seen in my region the LV is far from limited, at the begining or now. For every 10 steel subs you see one LV, about the same ratio for a S/G blue dial sub. It is the grey market that has influenced the percieved value of this watch.
I paid USD$5960 for the watch M series I bought the watch from ROLEX AD a month ago
Old 28 September 2008, 04:49 AM   #15
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Icon14

Juked'.

In my initial Rolex "diaper-hood", I thought the LV was limited too. Why did I think that? Because that is what "someone" told me, so I became a parrot and repeated the same. I had an LV and I keep running my mouth off about it being a limited edition. Why did I do that? People kept asking me if it was a "real" Rolex or a Chinese clone. I kept asking myself , "cheesh" where is the class in that question? (boy did I make an ass of myself).

BUT THEN, It was on this very forum that I became educated. It's not limited.

Thanks TRF !
DARK_KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2008, 04:28 AM   #16
yankeefist
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batman
I have looked at the LV Submariner for some time, especially when they first came out (but my name came up at my AD for a SS Daytona - the 18 month wait was over). The LV is however still on my want list (just traded for a Milgauss, so unless it is a good deal it may be awhile longer). I still like the look and it definitely sets itself apart from the other subs.

BTW, Not all Rolex ADs are created equal. Mine was a gem. I was a regular customer, but not what you would call a huge spender. He always treated me well.
yankeefist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2008, 12:54 PM   #17
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's not a limited edition in any shape or form and according to someone working in Rolex Singapore, there are no plans to discontinue production any time soon. I think when it was released in 2003 everyone was under the mistaken assumption that it would be made for only short while and so the myth of it being "limited'' started, a myth that was perpetuated by impatient collectors who paid a 50% premium over the MRSP. The fact that the premium has now disappeared should be proof enough that reality has finally dawned.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 08:56 AM   #18
geoffmalter

The latest "value" characteristic I've heard on another forum is that the "oval" "O" in the Rolex name on the early models makes them more valuable than the rest of the production runs. LOL
geoffmalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2008, 11:14 PM   #19
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmalter View Post
The latest "value" characteristic I've heard on another forum is that the "oval" "O" in the Rolex name on the early models makes them more valuable than the rest of the production runs. LOL
I'm gonna' make sure I don't "parrot" that information.

GRIN
DARK_KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2008, 05:48 AM   #20
Tri-National-Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubND/D/LV
I bought my M LV a couple of weeks ago and Rolex salesman told me that they made 1 LV for every 5 or 6 regular 16610s.
Tri-National-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2008, 06:16 PM   #21
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmalter View Post
LOL too. If you read it on a forum, it must be true, right? Then again, that might be true...in say 50-65 yrs.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2008, 01:39 PM   #22

Watch: Submariner LV
I got the M series Kermit as well, and heard rumors that the M series is the last, but you never know with Rolex. What I do know is that the Green Bezel is put out at a lower ratio than the Black. And if the Kermit is ever confirmed discontinued it will rise in collector pricing... just don't expect that to happen for several years after, when the rumor becomes fact, and Carved into Stone!
808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2009, 06:45 PM   #23
dthiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King
I say who cares! I bought mine because I liked it, end of story. Everybody else shoud do the same thing. I did not pay a premium for it and was not a pervious customer of the company I bought it from.
Tag Heuer - Connected
Porsche Design Flat Six
dthiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2008, 05:53 PM   #24
oztimelord
"TRF" Member

Watch: PN 6241 Daytona
V first series is being delivered as we speak. Maybe will finish in 2009 as Sub is getting a major upgrade. This will make them relatively rare. However no watches are rare these days just look at all the Rolex, Pateks etc.

So buy the watch cause you like it.

Rene

PN 6241, 6239, 6263, 16520, 116509, 116520
oztimelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2008, 08:39 PM   #25
BasicWatch

Quote:
They lied... Anniversary ones and limited are usually different runs as far as I've seen. In most cases they may have a bezel that isn't as common as usual, but can usually be purchased upon request, and they sometimes are separate to where you would need to interchange them I believe... but I'm not sure so don't quote me on that... I couldn't see purchasing a watch just to change a piece and have the other part laying around collecting less than a penny costing dust when the watch already costed a bunch of thousands.
BasicWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2008, 12:45 AM   #26
Sheikh
"TRF" Member

Hi I have had my LV for just over 2years its serial number starts with a "D", bored to death with it I need a daytona in my life.

Question for you all: what does your serial numb start with and what year does it mean ie mine is D =2005. which was first what is latest
Sheikh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2009, 08:32 AM   #27
dardeca
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Every authorized dealer in my area has the LV edition sitting in their case right now. As people have said earlier, they sure don't seem to be limited edition.
dardeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2009, 01:44 AM   #28
tthopp05

Watch: THE MIGHTY DEEPSEA
It should be limited,imho
tthopp05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2015, 03:02 PM   #29
Afghanvet
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subs, SD4K
I know I have one...
Afghanvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2015, 07:53 AM   #30
TheRealPatek

Watch: ing you watchin me
This may help

From a business point a view, the answer to the amount manufactured is this...limited initially. Then demand kicked in like wild fire.

We all know Rolex as a name of quality, but also a name of Marketing Genius. The green touch is bold, then nick naming Lunette verde, and finally adding the cherry on top 50th anniversary edition.

Rolex just did what anyone would do to satisfy demand, manufacture more!

Rolex is easy to hate, but many folks don't pay attention to the fact that they are still privately owned. That means they manufactured JUST ENOUGH to keep that slightly higher mark up, and keeping that good ol Rolex quality.

I tell you this, if Rolex EVER decides to go public, I will never buy another Rolex again.

Quote:
TheRealPatek is offline   Reply With Quote