The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 April 2017, 02:25 AM   #1
ktmpe
"TRF" Member

Hunting for Crown #24-700 and its tube

I have a 1969 Red Submariner and sent it for service. I was told that
I have to replace crown and tube for my watch. Since everything is original, I do not wanna use current Rolex triple lock.. I would like to find crown with no dots (twin lock). I think part number is 24-700 and 24-7000. Is there anybody out there who has NOS or great used that I can purchase? If you know somebody who has, can you hit me back? Thanks.

Mike
ktmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 02:48 AM   #2
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
24-700 Crown is much easier to find than the tube 24-7000.
I sold a NOS sealed 700 for $300 about a year ago.

Best place to find them is old watch shops, start making calls.
Ask for old crowns, inserts, hands etc.

You'd be surprised what old watchmakers have laying around in their parts bin.

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 03:57 AM   #3
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
As long as you can get the originals back, why not update the crown and tube to the newer (and safer) versions? Keep the originals nice and safe in a little box ... or have another watchmaker re-install them after you get the watch back, if it really bothers you to have a newer crown/tube.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 05:00 AM   #4
ktmpe
"TRF" Member

That is a good thought. But life is short and I would like to enjoy the watch as original condition. Thanks.
Old 21 April 2017, 05:28 AM   #5
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Who is servicing it? You don't "have" to change anything - it's your watch,
Old 21 April 2017, 06:07 AM   #6
mattedialdoc
"TRF" Member

Hunting for Crown #24-700 and its tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
As long as you can get the originals back, why not update the crown and tube to the newer (and safer) versions? Keep the originals nice and safe in a little box ... or have another watchmaker re-install them after you get the watch back, if it really bothers you to have a newer crown/tube.

I'm with Aaron on this one. But I'll admit it was a slow change in opinion. I'm a curmudgeon about things being correct and original, but I have a lot of time and money invested in these pieces, and I ,frankly, really wear these watches daily. I don't have a safe deposit box with these things squirreled away. So I decided when it was time for a service I would replace the crown/tube with the latest/greatest, and put on a current model Service dome. Now I do have the old parts squirreled away! And if I ever sell they will be there for the next owner. But I have zero worries about water resistance which makes me enjoy the watches that much more.
Lastly, although I love love the looks of a vintage super dome , the clarity and shape of the service dome seems in some way to enhance the beauty of the dial. Just an observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattedialdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 06:44 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattedialdoc View Post
I'm with Aaron on this one. But I'll admit it was a slow change in opinion. I'm a curmudgeon about things being correct and original, but I have a lot of time and money invested in these pieces, and I ,frankly, really wear these watches daily. I don't have a safe deposit box with these things squirreled away. So I decided when it was time for a service I would replace the crown/tube with the latest/greatest, and put on a current model Service dome. Now I do have the old parts squirreled away! And if I ever sell they will be there for the next owner. But I have zero worries about water resistance which makes me enjoy the watches that much more.
Lastly, although I love love the looks of a vintage super dome , the clarity and shape of the service dome seems in some way to enhance the beauty of the dial. Just an observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. And visually, the differences between the crowns are so minimal, it doesn't matter much to me, and the tubes are basically invisible anyway. I get having originality. I love that too. But I'm more interested in longevity and safety, and I'll keep the original parts in my little Rolex box.

I made this same decision recently on my Daytona 6263. I decided to upgrade to a 703 crown and tube, but will keep the original 702 crown and tube for peace of mind.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2017, 09:20 AM   #8
john_peter33
"TRF" Member

I've also been giving thought to originality versus functionality since I want to wear my 5513 everyday and not worry about potential damage to the dial and hands. In the end I too replaced my crystal and crown for period correct pieces at an expert vintage repair shop. Looks awesome and have the original parts back and in the box.
john_peter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 03:37 AM   #9
ktmpe
"TRF" Member

I thank you for posts. Now, I started thinking....