The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 April 2017, 10:24 PM   #1
Amphib44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
1978 GMT Master 1675

I'm new to the forum, and was hoping to get some feedback on a GMT Master that I have had for about 25 years. It's been serviced once during my ownership, and to be honest, I don't wear it that much ('85 Speedmaster every day...).
Ref. # 1675
Serial # 515****
the bracelet has 7-70 stamped on the inside of the clasp.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex4.jpg (84.8 KB, 988 views)
File Type: jpg rolex3.jpg (86.8 KB, 997 views)
File Type: jpg rolex2.jpg (78.8 KB, 996 views)
File Type: jpg rolex1.jpg (88.6 KB, 1007 views)
Amphib44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 10:42 PM   #2
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

That's a beautiful piece. I'm sure it'll find a lot of admirers around here. Worth a pretty penny, I'm sure

Sent from my cracked, broken, hand wound Phone
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2017, 11:11 PM   #3
Micha
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263, 1675
Springer will chime in here shortly...
Old 19 April 2017, 11:24 PM   #4
OmegaBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: sm300, op39 gray
beautiful!!!
OmegaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 03:44 AM   #5
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

MKII dial, great safe-queen orange patina. Your pics are a bit tight so I cant speak to the case but nice watch. Your dial is in GREAT shape and I think within reason for the serial number.

I don't think a 5m serial should have that stamp on the clasp but maybe its within the margin of error for the way Rolex put these together, unless you bought it as a replacement. One of the experts will chime in soon and confirm or correct that statement... Also, did they replace the insert when you had it serviced?
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 04:11 AM   #6
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Bracelet is earlier, based on the serial number. The 5.1 mil. would put it around 1977, and even with a couple of years latitude, it's still earlier. Nothing wrong with that. Rivet bracelets are super cool, no matter the year.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 04:20 AM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1675 View Post
MKII dial, great safe-queen orange patina. Your pics are a bit tight so I cant speak to the case but nice watch. Your dial is in GREAT shape and I think within reason for the serial number.

I don't think a 5m serial should have that stamp on the clasp but maybe its within the margin of error for the way Rolex put these together, unless you bought it as a replacement. One of the experts will chime in soon and confirm or correct that statement... Also, did they replace the insert when you had it serviced?
Just curious, why is the clasp incorrect for a 5 million serial number?

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 04:41 AM   #8
Amphib44
"TRF" Member

It has been recommended that I post some pictures of the case back and bracelet. I apologize in advance for the poor quality.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rol1.jpg (95.4 KB, 906 views)
File Type: jpg rol2.jpg (91.6 KB, 917 views)
File Type: jpg rol3.jpg (103.1 KB, 915 views)
File Type: jpg rol4.jpg (57.3 KB, 914 views)
Old 20 April 2017, 04:43 AM   #9
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I don't know the tidbits about correctness per say....but man that is a smoking example of a 1675.....great looking patina and the watch seems to be in great condition.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 05:00 AM   #10
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Looks like it has a few good gouges in the case sides but overall it's one gorgeous watch.
Old 20 April 2017, 05:06 AM   #11
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Just curious, why is the clasp incorrect for a 5 million serial number?
Foot in mouth, i have done more reading... thanks for the clarity...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2017, 11:13 AM   #12
Amphib44
"TRF" Member

So can anyone give me some insight as to the specifics of this watch? Does it have the correct bits and pieces for its manufacture date/serial number? Any historical context or details about the bracelet?

I know there is a wealth of info within the forum, but when I look at the pictures available of, for example, the 1675 dial over time, they mostly look the same to me (novice).

Anyway, I'm very interested in learning more about this GMT. Thanks
Old 22 April 2017, 01:02 AM   #13
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

It's very classy!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2017, 01:33 AM   #14
saskmh
"TRF" Member

I think the consensus is that aside from the service insert everything looks good and original. The dial looks great. Case has a couple of gouges but that is just character for some people. You have a really nice example there!
Old 22 April 2017, 02:04 AM   #15
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphib44 View Post
So can anyone give me some insight as to the specifics of this watch? Does it have the correct bits and pieces for its manufacture date/serial number? Any historical context or details about the bracelet?

I know there is a wealth of info within the forum, but when I look at the pictures available of, for example, the 1675 dial over time, they mostly look the same to me (novice).

Anyway, I'm very interested in learning more about this GMT. Thanks
The serial number is very high for a Mark II dial. I would think at 5.1 million, it would be a Mark V or Mark IV or even an elusive radial dial. The bracelet was changed at some point to an earlier one. As others mentioned , the bezel insert appears to be a later blue-back service insert.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 22 April 2017, 12:11 PM   #16
saskmh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The serial number is very high for a Mark II dial. I would think at 5.1 million, it would be a Mark V or Mark IV or even an elusive radial dial. The bracelet was changed at some point to an earlier one. As others mentioned , the bezel insert appears to be a later blue-back service insert.
This is why we wait for Springer to comment when it comes to GMT's .
Old 24 April 2017, 04:42 AM   #17
Amphib44
"TRF" Member

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the forum for asking the same question a million times, I'd like to revisit the dial/serial number combo (Mark 2/serial # 515****) for the above referenced watch.

In researching the very detailed threads concerning the various dials used on GMT Masters, I'm having difficulty determining why this dial is a Mk 2. My failing eyesight aside, I think it most closely resembles the Mk 4 as described in one of the GMT dial threads.

Sorry to keep hammering on this, but what characteristics make it a Mk 2. Thanks for your patience...
Old 24 April 2017, 05:48 AM   #18
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
I have come across several 1675's in the past with 5.1mil serials and MK2 dials.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 06:10 AM   #19
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael M. View Post
I have come across several 1675's in the past with 5.1mil serials and MK2 dials.
That doesn't make them correct. If this were true, then 5.1 million serial numbers could be found with Mark 2, 3, 4 and 5 dials.

Frankly, I don't believe I've ever seen a GMT 1675 with a Mark II dial with a 5.1 million serial number.

I've seen many 1675s with incorrect dials lately and I'm sure that it's due to the supply of correct dials drying up when someone needs to replace a damaged or service dial with a correct dial.

Old 24 April 2017, 06:15 AM   #20
Michael M.
Banned

1978 GMT Master 1675

Quote:
That doesn't make them correct. And to speak frankly, I never have.

I've come across two from original owners, one of which had never been serviced. Per my experience, there was a small run of MK2 dials in 5.1mil 1675 cases.

A simple google search of "1977 rolex 1675" will yield over a dozen examples of 5.1mil cases with MK2 dials.

I would agree with you if we observed MK2 dials in multiple 5mil serial ranges, however in this case (no pun intended) we only see MK2 dials present in 5.1/5.15mil 1675 cases.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 07:05 AM   #21
TimeToGo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
I've come across two from original owners, one of which had never been serviced. Per my experience, there was a small run of MK2 dials in 5.1mil 1675 cases.
To the OP, if the watch sings to you go for it! Very nice colors.

I like GMTs and have never came across one in that range either, I echo Springer's assessment.

To the OP, if the watch sings to you, go for it. Very nice colors. You can always quote that MichaelM has seen two and he said there was a small run of Mk2s with 5.1, at least you can quote where it was made up.
TimeToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2017, 07:34 AM   #22
Amphib44
"TRF" Member

Well, I think the consensus is that I have a 1978 GMT Master with an earlier Mk2 dial. I don't know when the dial was swapped, but certainly before my ownership.
I have owned the watch for 25 years, and have no intention of getting rid of it, I was simply curious about what, primarily, made the dial a Mk2.
Old 24 April 2017, 08:57 AM   #23
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

A simple google search of "1977 rolex 1675" will yield over a dozen examples of 5.1mil cases with MK2 dials.

I would agree with you if we observed MK2 dials in multiple 5mil serial ranges, however in this case (no pun intended) we only see MK2 dials present in 5.1/5.15mil 1675 cases.
Your google search should pull up thousands of 5.1 million cases that do not have a Mark II dial.

Sorry Morgan, too many dials being placed on to the wrong watches lately. Original owner quotes are always a red flag for me. I've purchased many original owner watches the past 40 years and not one Rolex GMT had a Mark II dial in that high of a case number. Maybe I've missed something during the decades that I have been collecting.

Finding a GMT 1675 with the wrong dial is not uncommon. As you are aware, there are many late 1960s GMTs wearing Mark IV and Mark V dials but that doesn't make them correct.

Old 24 April 2017, 08:57 AM   #24
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGo View Post
To the OP, if the watch sings to you go for it! Very nice colors.

I like GMTs and have never came across one in that range either, I echo Springer's assessment.

To the OP, if the watch sings to you, go for it. Very nice colors. You can always quote that MichaelM has seen two and he said there was a small run of Mk2s with 5.1, at least you can quote where it was made up.

Old 24 April 2017, 10:27 PM   #25
Amphib44
"TRF" Member

Is it difficult to source the correct MkIV dial?
Old 24 April 2017, 10:49 PM   #26
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I also know of odd mk2 dials popping up in early 5m cases. Not that I'd persobally get one but I am familiar with it. For what it is worth..
roh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 12:41 AM   #27
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Your google search should pull up thousands of 5.1 million cases that do not have a Mark II dial.

Sorry Morgan, too many dials being placed on to the wrong watches lately. Original owner quotes are always a red flag for me. I've purchased many original owner watches the past 40 years and not one Rolex GMT had a Mark II dial in that high of a case number. Maybe I've missed something during the decades that I have been collecting.

Finding a GMT 1675 with the wrong dial is not uncommon. As you are aware, there are many late 1960s GMTs wearing Mark IV and Mark V dials but that doesn't make them correct.
Ive bought 100s if not way more GMTs off the street over the last 25 years. My favorite watch and i have NEVER found one with an MK2 dial from what i would consider an untouched watch. Way to late for it.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 01:27 AM   #28
Amphib44
"TRF" Member

I realize it has been re-dialed prior to my purchase in 1992. I still love the look of it, but would it be worthwhile to find a Mk IV dial and swap?

My guess is that it would be difficult to find an appropriate dial with the same nice patina.
Old 25 April 2017, 11:14 AM   #29
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Still looks nice I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Member of Nylon Nation

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 11:29 AM   #30
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
I also know of odd mk2 dials popping up in early 5m cases. Not that I'd persobally get one but I am familiar with it. For what it is worth..
I am now familiar with it too!!!!