The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 March 2023, 11:18 PM   #1
Simon916
"TRF" Member

1976 5513 Community Feedback

Long story short; I bought a 16710 GMT in mid-90’s and kept for a few years, then traded it in for a 14060 Sub which I owned for a further 15+ years. I sold it to buy a paramotor, which at the time seemed like a sensible decision, but started to regret that when I saw the prices rise (to around $10k+ for a half decent one).

So started my quest to find another watch but tried to steer clear of Rolex initially, as I dislike the newer models and all the ceramic bling. They’re just too shiny for me and wanted something a bit more understated.

Anyway, Rolex kept drawing me back in and then recently bought a 1976 5513. I haven’t even got it yet as a friend is delivering it (as I live about 3000 miles from the seller).

So I’m slightly nervous, very excited and want to find out a bit more about it.

I thought the community could give me some pointers on my purchase, positive and negative comments, recommendations, etc and some thoughts on some of the parts, as they are obviously not original.

Some information that will give some background:

• Purchased for around $10k USD. Good price?
• Bought it off a collector who had owned it for 20+ years.
• Accompanied by a Rolex travel pouch, service booklet and a Rolex service centre card highlighting last service in Jan 16.
• Should I get it service by Rolex or a reputable watchmaker?
• No papers or box. What box would it have come in? Is it worth buying one to rebuild its history?
• Some light marks and scratches on the case and must have been lightly polished throughout it’s life.
• Oyster bracelet stamped 93150 with 580 end links. Not original - replaced in 85?
• Service dial Swiss only could date the original being replaced; 98-99? What would the original dial have been - Maxi Mk I?
• Thoughts on the bezel?
• Any other thoughts, do’s and don’t’s with regard to looking after it?

Thanks for any feedback – back in the Rolex Club again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (87.2 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (95.0 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (92.2 KB, 294 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (90.0 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (94.1 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (88.8 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (92.2 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (90.4 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (91.6 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (95.1 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (94.5 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (95.0 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (90.7 KB, 291 views)
Simon916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 12:36 PM   #2
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon916 View Post
Long story short...
That wasn't short.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 12:57 PM   #3
RFC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1968 5513 Sub
This example is at the low end of both price and condition. Start with the service dial that will not patina and is not period correct. What would bother me too is that bottom lug which has been heavily polished (both are uneven). On the plus side it seems to have been serviced by Rolex and should be a worry free daily driver.

For that cash I would have chased a 14060M in better condition.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 01:28 PM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

How do you know 1976? Please post the first few digits of the serial. When I see a watch like this where every single part has been replaced, and someone says 1976 (presumably based on an online chart), I'm thinking service case.

OP, just enjoy the watch and don't think about restoration or rebuilding history. There's really nothing left.
Old 11 March 2023, 10:02 PM   #5
Woody
"TRF" Member

I would guess that the dial, insert, hands etc were all replaced at the last service by the RSC in 2016. The watch has been polished and (as Dan alluded to) could be a service case. That said, you have a watch that should give you good service for many years to come. If I was in your shoes I would have spent the cash on a good example of a 14060M which can be had for not much more than you paid for the 5513......but of course the 14060M would not have the benefit of that lovely acrylic crystal. Personally I wouldn't pump any more money into this watch (buying a box, booklets, period correct dial, bezel insert etc), but that is your decision to make. I have a "rebuilt" 1680 which I very much enjoy wearing so i hope that you get the same enjoyment from your new acquisition.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 10:13 PM   #6
Simon916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
That wasn't short.
Sorry
Old 11 March 2023, 10:18 PM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum Simon.

I always cringe for people who make posts like this … if you weren’t nervous before, you’ll be more nervous now
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 10:29 PM   #8
Simon916
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I would guess that the dial, insert, hands etc were all replaced at the last service by the RSC in 2016. The watch has been polished and (as Dan alluded to) could be a service case. That said, you have a watch that should give you good service for many years to come. If I was in your shoes I would have spent the cash on a good example of a 14060M which can be had for not much more than you paid for the 5513......but of course the 14060M would not have the benefit of that lovely acrylic crystal. Personally I wouldn't pump any more money into this watch (buying a box, booklets, period correct dial, bezel insert etc), but that is your decision to make. I have a "rebuilt" 1680 which I very much enjoy wearing so i hope that you get the same enjoyment from your new acquisition.
Thanks Woody (& Dan). I bought it mainly for the model / age (noting newish original parts), acrylic + love the look of the watch. Anyway, will take your advice and not spend anymore on it. Just want to let it age dis-gracefully and enjoy it.
Old 11 March 2023, 10:31 PM   #9
Simon916
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum Simon.

I always cringe for people who make posts like this … if you weren’t nervous before, you’ll be more nervous now
Old 12 March 2023, 02:01 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Welcome to the forum. Depends what your goal was with this Sub. If you just wanted a Rolex vibe that you could wear without worrying much about it, I think you’ve done it. If you wanted a nice vintage Rolex, I’m afraid this isn’t it, for reasons stated above.

My main issue isn’t even with the service parts. Nothing wrong with those, as long as you know and you’re happy. But the case here has been over-polished and I certainly wouldn’t touch it again. The crown guards especially have been polished down.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 03:57 AM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Welcome to the forum. Depends what your goal was with this Sub. If you just wanted a Rolex vibe that you could wear without worrying much about it, I think you’ve done it. If you wanted a nice vintage Rolex, I’m afraid this isn’t it, for reasons stated above.

My main issue isn’t even with the service parts. Nothing wrong with those, as long as you know and you’re happy. But the case here has been over-polished and I certainly wouldn’t touch it again. The crown guards especially have been polished down.
Aaron summed it all up fairly well in his post. I believe $10,000 for a "service" watch in that condition is rather substantial. If the case was nicer, the price would be more reasonable.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 10:18 AM   #12
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

The price is tough to swallow for the watches condition. That thing has had a hard polished life. As long as you like it OP.
Old 12 March 2023, 06:09 PM   #13
ryansoulsit
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
The price is tough to swallow for the watches condition. That thing has had a hard polished life. As long as you like it OP.
Agree.
Old 13 March 2023, 11:02 PM   #14
walkman2727
Banned

Watch: 16710 pepsi
I am no expert, but love vintages. was told by an expert here "dial, hands and insert are the soul of vintage watches", so on your watch, how much "soul" are you getting ? just the case and movement?
walkman2727 is offline   Reply With Quote