The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 February 2018, 03:59 PM   #31
blevine
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub C with date
Wow. I too have the bolder font. I like it. But I am amazed at how perceptive people are on this site. I would never have noticed.
blevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:17 PM   #32
wnjstm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevine View Post
Wow. I too have the bolder font. I like it. But I am amazed at how perceptive people are on this site. I would never have noticed.
I did not notice that at all. However, I just checked and compared the pic of my previous Sub when I got home after purchased the watch then I found it lol
wnjstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:21 PM   #33
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by blevine View Post

I never noticed until someone else mentioned it on a different forum. I don’t think it’s that noticeable from a normal viewing distance, but I’m glad I got the new font.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 04:51 PM   #34
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
I prefer the thin

For sure
Old 25 February 2018, 04:56 PM   #35
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
The new font suits the maxicase much better.
I'll give it that much
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 06:56 PM   #36
RollieRoll
Banned

I definitely prefer the thinner more refined cleaner smaller font.
RollieRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 09:11 PM   #37
Qwerty01
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT Masters
Perhaps Rolex is preparing to release an updated Sub with increased diameter? lol
Qwerty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:00 PM   #38
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra_88 View Post
Absolutely not kidding. There will come a time, soon, I suspect when the rollover begins so it’s worth checking.
That is simply not possible. A new font change and a new movement are incredibly different. It's not like sneaking the parachrom hairspring in the movement.
Do yo honestly think Rolex would secretly change the movement in arguably the most famous dive watch in history and not tell anyone.

They have already advertised, promoted, and marketed the new movement in their other watches. A new movement in a Submariner is a huge deal, and as usual a giant marketing opportunity. When the divers and dual time watches get the new movement it will be revealed at something big like Basel.

The movement is arguably the single most important aspect of the watch. When it changes, everyone will know and not have to experiment with the power reserve.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:12 PM   #39
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
That is simply not possible. A new font change and a new movement are incredibly different. It's not like sneaking the parachrom hairspring in the movement.
Do yo honestly think Rolex would secretly change the movement in arguably the most famous dive watch in history and not tell anyone.

They have already advertised, promoted, and marketed the new movement in their other watches. A new movement in a Submariner is a huge deal, and as usual a giant marketing opportunity. When the divers and dual time watches get the new movement it will be revealed at something big like Basel.

The movement is arguably the single most important aspect of the watch. When it changes, everyone will know and not have to experiment with the power reserve.
Agreed I don’t think Rolex will keep that one a secret

As to the new font ... I like it and think it suits the maxi dial plots and super case
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:37 PM   #40
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the bolder font.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:49 PM   #41
perryj
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Swatch
I have the new font as well on a fall 2017 Sub C date.
Shall we start referring to them at “Bold font” subs? Haha if they do get updated this year hey that’s a one year run, new flat 4? Haha
Rolex Explorer I and II both sold
Rolex Datejust 16233 and 16234 sold
perryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 10:58 PM   #42
themast
"TRF" Member

Perhaps this is in preparation of some Basel releases. You guys will own the very rare 2017-2018transitional sub (old movement, new dial)!

Kidding aside, it is always fascinating how these minor adjustments command such ‘hype’ amongst enthusiasts. Although these are minor, and arguably inconsequential changes, they are relevant because often a watch authenticity is judged (at least at first) by the dial and it is important to document those changes.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:01 PM   #43
codester
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy and others
Didn't they switch over to the 3186 in the 16710 GMT's and not announce it until later? I think it's happened before.
codester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:06 PM   #44
Olliepem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LN
Interesting! I bought mine mid last year and it appears to be an in between size of these two fonts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Olliepem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:07 PM   #45
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
There is nothing new about the two font variations. Both have existed for years. I have owned both variations going back to when the 116610LN was introduced.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2018, 11:17 PM   #46
77T
2024 Pledge Member

New font on Submariner dial?

Believe it or not, the font changed a small yet key aspect of characters in the words ROLEX & SUBMARINER that had aided one simple aspect in detection of fakes. The new font resembles the same used by aftermarket dial makers and refinishers who re-stamp dials.

The fakirs have overlooked these characters for over a decade. Small matter but it helped anyone seeing just a picture of a dial to suspect and inspect other parts more closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:23 AM   #47
Valle de Joux
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjstm View Post
Hello guys.
I need you guys opinion. I am not a Rolex expert so I am still confusing about this matter.
I just got a new Sub no-date from my local Rolex AD today. What I found is the difference of dial fonts. I compared it with the picture of my old Sub no-date (early 2017).
The letters in "ROLEX" and "SUBMARINER" on the new one become bold and different font as you can see the two pics as below. And "f" in the ft letter and "=" mark is different.

This is the old one I had.

This is the new one I got.

What I am concerning is if my watch is not 2018 one. Or all 2018 Subs have the same dial font with mine? The AD said the watch is 2018 brand new one and they just received it from Rolex. But I have no idea any dial font changes in recent Subs.

Any advice will be truly appreciated.
Thank you for taking your time to read my post.
Rolex has used different fonts in the past with the same dials. Your watch looks great regardless of the different fonts!
Valle de Joux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:33 AM   #48
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

Tell this to those that own a 16710 or a 14060M with upgraded movements.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:35 AM   #49
johnnyjazz
"TRF" Member

Dial printing varies with Rolex all the time as has been discussed on here before.
Looking at the 2 pics, i think the bottom one has a different ceramic bezel inlay, the numbers look a lot thicker than the top one. Anyone know if Rolex have changed it this year?
johnnyjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:41 AM   #50
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
This is nothing new. Rolex has been producing the “big foot” and “little foot” 6 digit dials for years and they have both been used in Submariners for a long time now.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 01:26 AM   #51
Cauhauna
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
thanks for the info OP, i hadn't seen this before.
Cauhauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 11:39 AM   #52
Rolliescollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
thanks !!!!
Rolliescollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 12:16 PM   #53
illiguy
2024 Pledge Member

Here’s my SubC Date font. Brand new from AD. Summer 2019.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 02:29 PM   #54
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Perhaps this is in preparation of some Basel releases. You guys will own the very rare 2017-2018transitional sub (old movement, new dial)!

Kidding aside, it is always fascinating how these minor adjustments command such ‘hype’ amongst enthusiasts. Although these are minor, and arguably inconsequential changes, they are relevant because often a watch authenticity is judged (at least at first) by the dial and it is important to document those changes.
The 'Hype' around minor detail changes is usually started by resellers looking for a 'reason' to inflate the price of their watch.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 05:40 PM   #55
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
This has been discussed many times over the years.

A quick forum search threw up this (amongst others) old thread on the same subject.

As others have said, I think Rolex have used various font types & spacings between words/letters over the years & there is no rhyme or reason as to which style is on any watch from any particular year.

I think most forum members (me included) would just be happy to get the call from our AD that a watch is available, never mind what style font it has! lol.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...PunchTheFatKid

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 06:58 PM   #56
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Probably a know site, but anyway nice to read about the variations on the SUB C dial...

https://millenarywatches.com/submari...al-variations/

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:16 PM   #57
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Mine, 2019 too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alex.cicollo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:29 PM   #58
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjstm View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. So it's normal anyway.
The dials are made in 3 different factories now all owned by Rolex, so there will always be tiny deviations to fonts paint etc much like its been over the past 50 odd years but now lupe mania started its noticed more mainly by the obsessive WIS.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 10:33 PM   #59
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The dials are made in 3 different factories now all owned by Rolex, so there will always be tiny deviations to fonts paint etc much like its been over the past 50 odd years but now lupe mania started its noticed more mainly by the obsessive WIS.
Are all three in Geneva? I didn’t know that. Pretty interesting stuff.

As far as “loop mania” goes I would’ve never noticed what these guys are talking about. The last couple of new pieces I bought I did loop before I left the boutique just to make sure there was no damage to the case and bracelet.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2020, 11:00 PM   #60
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Are all three in Geneva? I didn’t know that. Pretty interesting stuff.

As far as “loop mania” goes I would’ve never noticed what these guys are talking about. The last couple of new pieces I bought I did loop before I left the boutique just to make sure there was no damage to the case and bracelet.
They are all in the same area of Switzerland,and even today Rolex dont make there own mainsprings they are outsourced and made by Schwab-Feller AG,plus movement bearings, and cap jewel bearings,crystals,spring-bars etc,and a firm called Aiguilles makes all the watch hands for all models.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote