The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 June 2017, 04:13 AM   #241
Chrisminus 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and others
I have loved this model on other people. Haven't yet convinced myself that its for me tho. Its a complicated thing. What do you guys think about the long-term experience you've had with your Explorer II's? Black dial or white? Thx!
Chrisminus 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 10:05 AM   #242
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisminus 6 View Post
I have loved this model on other people. Haven't yet convinced myself that its for me tho. Its a complicated thing. What do you guys think about the long-term experience you've had with your Explorer II's? Black dial or white? Thx!

It took me days to decide and finally pulled the trigger on the black dial. Ffwd 5 years later, when I started catching the vintage bug, I started to hunt for the white dial from the 90s because the patina in the hour markers are so pretty with the contrasting white dial. Hope I made you more confuse. Happy doubting my friend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 01:17 AM   #243
BillH2121
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
My first post - hello to all! I purchased my first Rolex watch last week - an Explorer II polar, vintage 2006. Several years ago, I became fascinated with the Explorer based on the belief that it was the "Steve McQueen" watch. I am of an age that Steve McQueen was, to me, the king of cool and I decided I would someday get this watch as a bit of an homage to him and, more importantly, because I really liked the looks of the watch. More recently, as I realized I was going to actually buy one of these watches, I did more research and found to my dismay that the Explorer is not the watch McQueen wore. So when I went to purchase, I compared the Sub to the Explorer and put both on my wrist. I left with the Explorer even thought I thought as I entered the shop that I would end up with the Sub. I love the looks of the watch and it turns out it was "my" watch even if Steve McQueen didn't wear one! I constantly look at my wrist to catch the lines of this incredible looking watch.
BillH2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 01:15 PM   #244
Rascasse
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 2
I had an Explorer back in the late '70s through the '90's. It was a great watch. I sold it for a Daytona.

As of late I have been feeling a bit nostalgic for the latest version of my first 'cool' watch. Voila.....
Rascasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2017, 12:20 PM   #245
Dframe
"TRF" Member

I'm just having to drool over the explorers. Can't afford one right now, so my DateJust will have to do.
Dframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 03:59 AM   #246
Rascasse
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 2
This is my second EXP 2... Great watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EXP2.jpg (75.7 KB, 1283 views)
Rascasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2017, 01:02 AM   #247
De Sisti
Banned

I have an Exp II purchased in September 1994. In 2005 I paid for a new dial (and hands)
as the lume had was virtually non-existent. A few of years later, harking for a black dial
version, I let a shop repaint to resemble that coloured dial. It looked ok(ish), but to my eye
It just wasn't right. So after putting up with it for a couple of years I sent it to
Rolex for a new white dial. 'Yes', they said. But if you want a new dial, it will
have to be provided with new hands (at a cost); 'oh, and we have to service it'
(at a cost).

So I bit the bullet and had it all done (to the tune of £945).
With dial painted black:
(Christopher Ward Trident sold and replace with Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military; below)

With new dial:

De Sisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:32 AM   #248
is0lde
"TRF" Member

Anyone explain why my 40mm 1655 only measures 38mm? I have asked a few AD's and none the wiser. Are they all like this or were there two sizes made?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
is0lde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 12:15 PM   #249
JohnLT
"TRF" Member

Watch: time fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by is0lde View Post
Anyone explain why my 40mm 1655 only measures 38mm? I have asked a few AD's and none the wiser. Are they all like this or were there two sizes made?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
You are measuring the bezel.
JohnLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 08:51 PM   #250
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655+216570
Looks great

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro
218225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2018, 11:13 PM   #251
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Sisti View Post
I have an Exp II purchased in September 1994. In 2005 I paid for a new dial (and hands)
as the lume had was virtually non-existent. A few of years later, harking for a black dial
version, I let a shop repaint to resemble that coloured dial. It looked ok(ish), but to my eye
It just wasn't right. So after putting up with it for a couple of years I sent it to
Rolex for a new white dial. 'Yes', they said. But if you want a new dial, it will
have to be provided with new hands (at a cost); 'oh, and we have to service it'
(at a cost).

So I bit the bullet and had it all done (to the tune of £945).
With dial painted black:
(Christopher Ward Trident sold and replace with Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military; below)

With new dial:

whats that explorer 1 looking like thing there on the far right? im intrigued and have been after something like this myself. thanks
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 05:31 AM   #252
is0lde
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT View Post
The Case is even smaller than the Bezel. Did this model come in two sizes? What am I missing?
is0lde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2018, 01:01 PM   #253
JohnLT
"TRF" Member

Watch: time fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by is0lde View Post
The Case is even smaller than the Bezel. Did this model come in two sizes? What am I missing?
Measure where lug curves to meet case diagonally across. Not sure that early versions where a true 40.
JohnLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 10:56 AM   #254
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Measure where lug curves to meet case diagonally across. Not sure that early versions where a true 40.
i dont think anywhere. some places say 39.5mm http://clockmaker.com.au/rolex_case_size.html
Old 21 August 2018, 06:57 PM   #255
raheelc
"TRF" Member

Just joined the Explorer club with a Polar dial 16570, Z serial. Will post up a picture once I reach the 10 post count. Does anyone know if the Rolex store/service center in NYC would take a look at the watch to authenticate the movement? Everything checks out with the watch (serial numbers intact, Rolex crown etched in crystal), and all paperwork and serial numbers match, but would just like the extra set of eyes to take a look, if possible.
raheelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 07:42 AM   #256
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Quote:
And the bezel is slightly larger than the case diameter across the lugs
Old 12 October 2018, 07:00 PM   #257
De Sisti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketime View Post
whats that explorer 1 looking like thing there on the far right? im intrigued and have been after something like this myself. thanks
It's a Zeno Explorer. Cost me £149. Good looking dial (imo). Just had it serviced
(Oct 2018). I do like the Rolex Exp 1, but at £5000, it'll have to wait until I
retire and receive my lump sum cash payment.
De Sisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2018, 04:48 AM   #258
stanc1
"TRF" Member

Lovely!!!!
stanc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:34 AM   #259
danwatchdill
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Posted about this in the general forum, but bought my first Rolex after falling in love with the Polar Explorer II and with a lot of help from you all on the forums/this thread too. I have a 30+ year old DJ Silver/Gold that I received after graduating graduate school from my father, but wanted a watch of my own that I could wear every day and never get bored of. It's only been a week, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Love the polar dial:

Perfect for Fall (and year round)!
danwatchdill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 10:08 PM   #260
wx_073
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Love mines Polars. F series my daily beater and G series bought it NOS, so all its time sits in the box
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1896 copy.jpeg (149.3 KB, 565 views)
wx_073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:32 AM   #261
EndlessEight
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
How likely is it that Rolex makes the bezel black ceramic?

It would be perfect for me.

I almost a polar dial last week while in Hawaii. Regretting it now.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 04:36 AM   #262
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
How likely is it that Rolex makes the bezel black ceramic?

It would be perfect for me.

I almost a polar dial last week while in Hawaii. Regretting it now.
Did you located one at an AD??? hey became much scarce available i think, didn't seen one since july or so anymore... AD i talked with also didnt saw one anymore :-/ but.. I think there might be some changes on the explorer.2 next basel...
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 06:30 AM   #263
EndlessEight
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymcmichael View Post
Did you located one at an AD??? hey became much scarce available i think, didn't seen one since july or so anymore... AD i talked with also didnt saw one anymore :-/ but.. I think there might be some changes on the explorer.2 next basel...
Yes, the Tourneau AD in Wailea.

I walked in and asked for it. The gentleman said he was expecting one the next day and it came through.

I called my AD back on the East Coast and the rep told me to buy it because they are hard to get right now...

Like I said, I regret it...but if it comes out with a ceramic bezel, I intend to go all in on it.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 06:36 AM   #264
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessEight View Post
Yes, the Tourneau AD in Wailea.

I walked in and asked for it. The gentleman said he was expecting one the next day and it came through.

I called my AD back on the East Coast and the rep told me to buy it because they are hard to get right now...

Like I said, I regret it...but if it comes out with a ceramic bezel, I intend to go all in on it.
Exactly, something strange happening with this reference........ Before it was available in every AD in both, white and black.. Than they boosted their marketing on this watch with the Ed viesturs ambassador and after they werent for sale anywhere anymore.. Maybe they tried to get rid of excess stock and now stopped production for discontinuing? Or are they trying to make it scarcer and in such way more desirable as pure marketing tric? It is real strange in anyway.... Pitty that you havent bought it!!!
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 05:47 PM   #265
makrxx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wx_073 View Post
Love mines Polars. F series my daily beater and G series bought it NOS, so all its time sits in the box
Out of curiosity, are they still making this series or have they been discontinued?
makrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2019, 07:48 PM   #266
wx_073
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by makrxx View Post
Out of curiosity, are they still making this series or have they been discontinued?

Yes they discontinued I’d say at 2011 not sure 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wx_073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 01:27 AM   #267
Dayv
"TRF" Member

Icon14

After reading this entire thread and many others I decided to make the Polar Explorer II my first Rolex. I absolutely love it!

Ref. 16750 P-serial circa Feb 2000. Holes case with solid end links. Maybe not the most desirable for some, but the ability to easily change out the bracelet and still get solid end links was a big draw for me with this particular iteration.

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread for helping me identify the right one for me and sort out the subtle variations over the years.

Unfortunately post count is too low at this time for pics. :(
Dayv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 04:49 AM   #268
technice
"TRF" Member

Straps for 16570

First time posting in this community. My father-in-law recently gifted me his year 2000 Polar Explorer 2 (16570) and I absolutely love it. Curious if any of you have purchased leather straps for yours and where you would recommend buying from? I'm looking for distressed leather. Please let me know if there's already a discussion board about this topic. Thanks! And here's a pic of my new pride and joy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3442.jpg (226.4 KB, 442 views)
technice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2019, 08:24 AM   #269
Alc
"TRF" Member

what year did Rolex start inscribing "rolex" inside the bezel below the crystal?
Alc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 11:22 PM   #270
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alc View Post
what year did Rolex start inscribing "rolex" inside the bezel below the crystal?
the rehaut engraving took place during the switch over from the Z serials to the next letter