The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 25 February 2018, 11:24 AM   #61
geebob
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyPro Explorer
You have every right to be upset, however...there’s a “however” most of the time... you’re upset over something that is not important. When I buy my watch I don’t really care about who removes the sticker.

For some people, like my wife for instance...it matters that they’re the one who remove it, I can understand that, but to me personally it doesn’t matter at all.

So, just forget it and let it go.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:29 AM   #62
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
If you’re a collector the could be worth hundreds of dollars today. Maybe thousands down the road. That of course depends on the watch and the market.

I’m not trying to support keeping stickers on watches, but I do believe in ownership. I get why they’re doing it but I still think it’s silly.

Rolex makes almost 1000000 watches a year. Even the ones we consider “rare” today aren’t. They are collectible and your right it could’ve added a little value but the OP was going to wear it. It’s not like the stickers off a brand new 1960’a Daytona they found in Paul Newman’s closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2018, 11:31 AM   #63
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
To the OP. Why would you want to leave the stickers on? Surely you were not going to wear it like that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Minnie-1.jpg (45.1 KB, 222 views)
Old 25 February 2018, 11:34 AM   #64
Duende01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you’re a collector the could be worth hundreds of dollars today. Maybe thousands down the road. That of course depends on the watch and the market.

I’m not trying to support keeping stickers on watches, but I do believe in ownership. I get why they’re doing it but I still think it’s silly.
I don’t know but when I really want something I don’t let the less than 1% of the total price to keep me from getting it. As I stated, on a thousands dollar watch the price of plastic stickers cannot be that substantial to a prospective buyer. Stickers can also hide damage so I rather buy without.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:35 AM   #65
mactruck
"TRF" Member

I bought my own Rolex link removal tool because I don't trust anyone but that said for resale stickers mean an extra thousand dollars so I'd be pissed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 25 February 2018, 11:39 AM   #66
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The only gripe you have, in my book, is their lack of communication. They should have told you upfront before the procedure that they were going to remove the stickers, and then you would have had the option of saying no thanks.

The only recourse I would want would be a conversation with the manager about their communication. Or, lack thereof to be accurate.

As it is, though, the real takeaway from this should be for you to get a quality hollow ground screwdriver and do this job yourself.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:39 AM   #67
Duende01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
I bought my own Rolex link removal tool because I don't trust anyone but that said for resale stickers mean an extra thousand dollars so I'd be pissed too.

An extra thousand?
Old 25 February 2018, 11:44 AM   #68
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duende01 View Post
An extra thousand?

Yeah an extra thousand. Look it up.

Old 25 February 2018, 11:45 AM   #69
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
Rolex makes almost 1000000 watches a year. Even the ones we consider “rare” today aren’t. They are collectible and your right it could’ve added a little value but the OP was going to wear it. It’s not like the stickers off a brand new 1960’a Daytona they found in Paul Newman’s closet.

I see your point. Try to see mine.

My dad just bought a BNIB ss sky-d with a white dial.

He expressed interest in trading it to a trusted seller here at TRF for the same watch with a blue dial. He only wanted BNIB. I asked around for him. There were several examples in brand new condition but some had stickers and some did not.

The examples with stickers intact cost $500-700 more than the otherwise unworn watches.

That’s not hype or hocus pocus. That’s actual real value.

Now, hypothetically speaking, 10 years from now, who knows what will happen to the sky-d? If Rolex stops making the ss version, a NOS example with stickers vs without stickers could mean the difference of thousands.

Again, as I originally mentioned, it depends on the model and the market, but for certain the stickers are not worth pennies even in today’s market.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:47 AM   #70
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
Quote:
An extra thousand?
Common sense would dictate that if you are sizing the thing it was not for sale
Old 25 February 2018, 11:47 AM   #71
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I don’t know but when I really want something I don’t let the less than 1% of the total price to keep me from getting it. As I stated, on a thousands dollar watch the price of plastic stickers cannot be that substantial to a prospective buyer. Stickers can also hide damage so I rather buy without.
See my post above.

You’re welcome to value these things anyway you want. We both probably share the same opinions, but I’m talking about hard numbers here in today’s market value. You said the stickers are worth a few cents, I’m telling you they’re not.

Why is everything bold btw? Lol.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:48 AM   #72
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:
I see your point. Try to see mine.

My dad just bought a BNIB ss sky-d with a white dial.

He expressed interest in trading it to a trusted seller here at TRF for the same watch with a blue dial. He only wanted BNIB. I asked around for him. There were several examples in brand new condition but some had stickers and some did not.

The examples with stickers intact cost $500-700 more than the otherwise unworn watches.

That’s not hype or hocus. That’s real value.

Now, hypothetically speaking, 10 years from now, who knows what will happen to the sky-d? If Rolex stops making the ss version, a NOS example with stickers vs without stickers could mean the difference of thousands.

Again, as I originally mentioned, it depends on the model and the market, but for certain the stickers are not worth pennies even in today’s market.

I didn’t read your whole post. I do see what you are talking about. Personally I’d save the $500-700 and just buy an unworn watch. I hate pulling stickers anyway. I never can find them all. But for the sake of selling anything I want the most $ I can get.

Old 25 February 2018, 11:49 AM   #73
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Doesn't matter if he wears it with stickers. Stickers means it hasn't been polished which is value added all day long.

Old 25 February 2018, 11:50 AM   #74
Bond's First Watch
Banned

Watch: Only the 114060
My AD always leaves the stickers on at my request. You have every right to be upset. I'd ask for a heavy discount at your next purchase.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:51 AM   #75
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
I understand why your pissed off bc i would be fuming as well. Unfortunately theres nothing that can be done about it now.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:51 AM   #76
gsteve
Banned

i can't think of anything id care less about..... sorry , just not seeing the issue.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:52 AM   #77
Duende01
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Shoot, next time I go to my AD I will tell him to forget the watch, I just want the stickers.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:53 AM   #78
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
If you intended to keep and wear who cares? Only reason to care is if you wanted to resell after wearing with stickers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
X2. That’s my take on it.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:53 AM   #79
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
I didn’t read your whole post. I do see what you are talking about. Personally I’d save the $500-700 and just buy an unworn watch. I hate pulling stickers anyway. I never can find them all. But for the sake of selling anything I want the most $ I can get.

I totally agree with you. I wear all my watches, so it makes no difference to me. My dad is an old school collector though, and while I don’t have the same philosophy as him on the hobby, I’ve watches him thoroughly enjoy the hobby in his own way for my whole life. I respect it.
Old 25 February 2018, 11:53 AM   #80
gsteve
Banned

kinda reminds me of a guy who leaves all the film protectors on everything he buys , toasters , iPads , cell phones......
Old 25 February 2018, 12:01 PM   #81
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Considering I’m the 73rd reply it’s clear to say that many folks have strong opinions on this. Here’s mine:

-stickers have real value. Anyone who says they don’t is wrong. It’s a fact. A BNIB watch with stickers sells for more than one that doesn’t.

-As many have pointed out, removing a link ends the BNIB status. This impacts value. But it should sell more than an equivalent LNIB watch with it stickers.

-personally I’m not a safe queen person. I like knowing my watches have value but I’m not interested in keeping them unworn in a safe. That being said you have ever right to do so if you want. People who have criticized you for wanting to do so are just haters. It’s your watch, what you do with it is your choice.

Now the matter at hand...

In my opinion you have a right to be mad, upset, frustrated, disappointed... pick your adjective.

Regardless of Rolex policy, you stated your wishes and to the best of your knowledge the AD accepted your terms and then accidentally didn’t meet them.

It’s clear they didn’t remove the stickers as part of a policy. If this was the case they should have simply refused to remove your link if you wouldn’t agree to take them off.

As far as consequences, I think your frustration and possibly never purchasing from this AD is about as much as you can expect. If it were my business, I’d throw you a gift card or hook you up with a nice discount on your next purchase. But I don’t think they necessarily owe that to you.

I don’t mean this in a judgmental way when I say there are many other things to worry about in life. Sometimes it helps to put it into perspective and simply forgive and forget.

Look at it this way... maybe this was what it took for you to take the plunge and actually wear your beautiful watch. I know that wasn’t your intention and it’s your choice. But perhaps after wearing and enjoying it for a while you will look back and chuckle just a bit about all this.

Old 25 February 2018, 12:05 PM   #82
prozac51
"TRF" Member

It's standard Rolex procedure now to reduce flipping. I have to commend them for their tenacity but this AD is at fault for not informing OP what they were about to do.

Sent from my HTC_2Q4D100 using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2018, 12:21 PM   #83
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswanson View Post
He said it was a mistake, and that it was simply "habit". He was pretty embarrassed, so didn't want to pile on.

Seethed in frustration quietly and left.
There's your answer. If it was an honest mistake and he just wasn't thinking, then its not worth getting upset over. The fact that the stickers aren't there any longer seems to be a moot point...The watch is meant to be worn without stickers on it.
You did the right thing by letting it go IMO.
Old 25 February 2018, 12:25 PM   #84
GarageBMW
"TRF" Member

Watch: the step
Stickers or no stickers, it's still the same watch. Wear it and enjoy it like it is meant to be.
Old 25 February 2018, 12:26 PM   #85
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
We have people on here that care more about the box, ‘papers’, and stickers more than the actual watch.
Old 25 February 2018, 12:26 PM   #86
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:

For having stickers? Not that I don't believe it, but there's something really wacky about paying a thousand dollar premium to be able to remove a few bits of adhesive plastic from a watch.
Old 25 February 2018, 12:28 PM   #87
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
Well since you asked, yes quite an overreaction. You turned white, literally or figuratively speaking?

If you like say the serenity prayer in my signature 5 times and you should feel better.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Old 25 February 2018, 12:30 PM   #88
2th_doc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy_Kilowatt View Post
Frankly, my takeaway from this thread is never buy a "BNIB" watch from the OP.

LOL

Old 25 February 2018, 12:40 PM   #89
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

OP, unless you were planning to capitalize on the BLNR “hype”, I’d not get all worked up over stickers.
How come you didn’t have it sized where you bought it?
Old 25 February 2018, 12:44 PM   #90
DHPSU
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangier11 View Post
To the OP. Why would you want to leave the stickers on? Surely you were not going to wear it like that?

Lol! This has to be the most ridiculous post I have seen in quite sometime. How could you wear the watch with stickers? The op should be thankful the stickers are gone and they sized it for him. Talk about anal retentive!? I thought me having an issue with my BLNR’s crown facing down was silly but this takes the cake!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Closed Thread