The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 June 2020, 11:52 PM   #1
Oyster Perpetual
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Curious what you think of the 42mm Offshores?

Good Morning Everyone!

I own around 6 Modern Rolex, 2 Omegas and 2 Breitlings. I think I am going to expand into different brands. My thoughts are AP and Patek.

Entry wise for me would look something like the AP Royal Oak Diver (42mm) or the AP Royal Oak Offshore Chrono (42mm).

Im curious what everyone thinks about these models? I know many folks love the Royal Oak, but what are peoples thoughts on the offshore and the diver models? Unfortuantely, I think the RO is out of my price range and the ROO would be more feasible.

Please share your experiences! Is the rubber strap comfortable? is it a heavy watch? How does it compare to sport rolex models? What is your favorite piece?

Thanks!
Oyster Perpetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 12:07 AM   #2
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
I’ve had my diver for 2 years. Really love it.

Can’t complain about any aspect of ownership, it’s as good as they say. Definitely comfortable to wear, definitely wears big. I own a JC which is 44mm and while the AP is certainly lighter, it seems just as large.

Try to find one to try on, but you’re almost certainly going to want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 12:21 AM   #3
dj-dulux
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
I am just about to pick up the blue/yellow diver, been looking at it for 6 months or so (tried on and decided not to go the 15500 route). Dropped a message to the AD over lockdown, they had one, deposit paid and pick up couple weeks I hope.

I think they were planning on releasing new diver models in 2020, as I wanted the blue and yellow thought I better be quick.

Dupe...
dj-dulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 12:26 AM   #4
1Orologio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still searching...
I echo one of the comments, if you can try it on.

Personally, I have owned several APs and love the Royal Oak Chrono and 44mm offshores. I never liked the diver due to the left pusher. But that’s just a personal preference.

Of the choices you have, you can’t go wrong. Where you may find some difficulty is choosing variations as you will have many many colors and combos.

On the 42ROO I would suggest getting one with bracelet and add straps or rubbers to it. AP makes some of the best bracelets in the business.

Hope this helps.

Old 3 June 2020, 02:09 AM   #5
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Ive had my 15710 diver for about a year now, I didn’t really like the rubber strap and got the steel bracelet right away. Its a watch you definitely feel the weight of but its not ridiculously heavy. I also own rolex and omega and the difference in quality is really noticeable.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 05:18 AM   #6
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
I spent the last month researching my first Offshore. If you just want the headline, I'd say "Absolutely, 100% go for it".

I do agree it would be best if you can try on the Diver, 42mm, and 44mm models if you have a wrist size under 7". If you've got a wrist 7" or larger, I think you can pretty much get away with anything but of course there are several differences in how each model fits and of course how your wrist actually is shaped.

I went with the Ghost, which is a 42mm model. I'm very glad I did. When I can get back into a Boutique one day, I want to try on 44mm but I am guessing they will simply be too big for me. I personally don't care for the Diver as I also just don't care for the escape valve.

Compared to Rolex sports models - To me, my Offshore kills it in terms of comfort and durability.

The rubber straps are great. Both AP, RubberB, and Horus are all recommended and very comfortable.

Offshores come in Titanium, Ceramic, SS, Rose Gold, etc. I can only vouch for the weight of the Ghost and with it being Titanium/Ceramic I can say it is a very easy wearing watch and ultra-comfortable even though it's hefty at 42mm. Sometimes I honestly don't even know it is on.

Good luck in your search!
chiscott_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 01:20 PM   #7
Oyster Perpetual
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Thanks for the responses! Also thoughts on the Rubberclad model?
Oyster Perpetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 02:05 PM   #8
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
I personally don't care for the Diver as I also just don't care for the escape valve.
Nitpick: The AP diver does not have a helium escape valve. The crown at 10 is for controlling the internal rotating timing bezel.
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 02:22 PM   #9
yoast
"TRF" Member

To be honest I think the 42mm line is in dire need of a refresh. I feel the line is tired and it seems ap is working on modernizing it with the release of the blue titanium model 26480
I’d hold off for another year or so to see what’s in store.
Old 3 June 2020, 05:26 PM   #10
Crashblue
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Perpetual View Post
Was the most popular model back then. The reason it trades much cheaper these days is the rubber clad. It gets damaged very easily and ages like rubber does over time. A replacement rubber claid was already around €1800 a few years ago and this is usually priced in.
Crashblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 09:13 PM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Perpetual View Post
I liked it back in the day but they are a bit dated now and succumb to wear and tear rather quickly so best to avoid, the new CE models are nice and durable but a bit bland so my pick would be the SS Diver, a great way into AP, I esp like the apropos wet dial on this Diver, the 15710 model.

If any of your watches are 43mm then you should look at the 44s as well which are the best of the ROO bunch for me.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 09:38 PM   #12
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
To be honest I think the 42mm line is in dire need of a refresh. I feel the line is tired and it seems ap is working on modernizing it with the release of the blue titanium model 26480
I’d hold off for another year or so to see what’s in store.
Not sure I agree on 26480 is APs way of "modernizing" the 42mm line. Fair enough it's a integrated chrono but it's a Frédéric Piguet 1185-movement. The modular chronograph and date magnification underneath the dial has been a design queue since the beast.
Old 3 June 2020, 09:55 PM   #13
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I added a Diver 15710 a couple of years ago. Went on a love/hate journey with it. Loved the way it looked, didn’t like the way it looked on me. I felt it was too big.

Then I locked it in a safe for 6 months before taking it out to sell it. Then wore it for a couple of days and all was good! Been my most worn watch over the past 12 months (against competition such as a white gold Daytona, a Pepsi, a couple of Royal Oaks, a Nautilus, and a Sea Dweller amongst others). I can’t speak highly enough of this watch.

There are also lots of different AP straps for it which really changes the look and feel, which is nice for a bit of a change.

I’m now so bought into the 42mm Offshore Range, I have another on order!

Just do it!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2020, 10:14 PM   #14
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by trfChris View Post
Nitpick: The AP diver does not have a helium escape valve. The crown at 10 is for controlling the internal rotating timing bezel.

Thanks for the clarification on this!
Old 3 June 2020, 11:34 PM   #15
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Not sure I agree on 26480 is APs way of "modernizing" the 42mm line. Fair enough it's a integrated chrono but it's a Frédéric Piguet 1185-movement. The modular chronograph and date magnification underneath the dial has been a design queue since the beast.
It has been said the 26480 is a transitional model - which I see as a try out so see how the model is received. The movement is that of the Royal oak yes, which never seemed to bother many. And it helps slim the case size down to a more wearable thickness. I have tried this model and have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by how much more wearable it is.
It would be nice if they add the new chrono movement in the future and expand the line to replace the 42 range with the round pushers.
The 44mm style case just looks a lot more fresh and modern and I have been saying for years that they should slim it down to 42 and they finally did.
Now all they have to do is make it in ceramic and I will be there begging for them to take my money.
Old 4 June 2020, 04:02 AM   #16
drhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It has been said the 26480 is a transitional model - which I see as a try out so see how the model is received. The movement is that of the Royal oak yes, which never seemed to bother many. And it helps slim the case size down to a more wearable thickness. I have tried this model and have to say I was very pleasantly surprised by how much more wearable it is.
It would be nice if they add the new chrono movement in the future and expand the line to replace the 42 range with the round pushers.
The 44mm style case just looks a lot more fresh and modern and I have been saying for years that they should slim it down to 42 and they finally did.
Now all they have to do is make it in ceramic and I will be there begging for them to take my money.
I fully agree with everything you wrote
drhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 05:30 AM   #17
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Curious what you think of the 42mm Offshores?

Quote:

Yeah, I personally don’t like the orientation of the subdials with the new movement and I’m absolutely allergic to date windows at 4:30... I’m all for progress but the Royal Oak is nothing if not a living tribute to a somewhat (mostly?) unchanging design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 12:09 PM   #18
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

Had many rolexes and was always tempted with AP. I need a larger watch and wanted to keep budget low so I tried out the ROO rubber clad. Loved it to death honestly. Traded it for a ROO 42 titanium (bracelet in ti as well) with gray dial and that is my new favorite watch.

I think AP’s are the next step from Rolex and also a compliment to a Rolex collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8C6FD2EE-9099-4581-AB46-DCF8AAAD3C51.jpeg (96.8 KB, 873 views)
File Type: jpeg FEEEEA88-DD37-43D0-A426-2FC19E1F315B.jpeg (89.7 KB, 878 views)
File Type: jpeg E88F39BB-6C93-4861-889A-77666E460813.jpeg (82.2 KB, 872 views)
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2020, 09:31 PM   #19
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhk View Post
I fully agree with everything you wrote
Old 5 June 2020, 02:19 AM   #20
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj-dulux View Post
I am just about to pick up the blue/yellow diver, been looking at it for 6 months or so (tried on and decided not to go the 15500 route). Dropped a message to the AD over lockdown, they had one, deposit paid and pick up couple weeks I hope.

I think they were planning on releasing new diver models in 2020, as I wanted the blue and yellow thought I better be quick.

Dupe...

Is your AD Owen & Robinson? I know they had that watch going in to lockdown.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 03:58 AM   #21
dj-dulux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Is your AD Owen & Robinson? I know they had that watch going in to lockdown.

Indeed, from Leeds originally so have family in Harrogate and Adel. Birmingham wos stopped doing them so tried up north.

Dupe....
Old 5 June 2020, 04:25 AM   #22
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Indeed, from Leeds originally so have family in Harrogate and Adel. Birmingham wos stopped doing them so tried up north.

Dupe....

If you haven’t bought from them before they’re excellent, I’ve bought a few APs from them.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 05:08 AM   #23
dj-dulux
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
If you haven’t bought from them before they’re excellent, I’ve bought a few APs from them.

They do seem to have the best waiting list system I have ever seen, good to hear good things about them, they seem fair and decent...

Dupe...
Old 5 June 2020, 07:55 AM   #24
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
Honestly I see it as far inferior / dated to the more epic 44. I have a small wrist yet I still crave the PT variation
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2020, 11:07 AM   #25
Dave from NYC
"TRF" Member

Dave from NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 04:43 AM   #26
sullivan2829
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD JC, AP ROO FC
Quote:
They do seem to have the best waiting list system I have ever seen, good to hear good things about them, they seem fair and decent...

Dupe...
Small world Matt who manages the store is a mate of mine. I’m based at Burley In Wharfedale 👍👍
sullivan2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 04:49 AM   #27
sullivan2829
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I added a Diver 15710 a couple of years ago. Went on a love/hate journey with it. Loved the way it looked, didn’t like the way it looked on me. I felt it was too big.

Then I locked it in a safe for 6 months before taking it out to sell it. Then wore it for a couple of days and all was good! Been my most worn watch over the past 12 months (against competition such as a white gold Daytona, a Pepsi, a couple of Royal Oaks, a Nautilus, and a Sea Dweller amongst others). I can’t speak highly enough of this watch.

There are also lots of different AP straps for it which really changes the look and feel, which is nice for a bit of a change

I’m now so bought into the 42mm Offshore Range, I have another on order!

Just do it!

Love that strap, where did you source that?
Old 6 June 2020, 06:25 AM   #28
Burlington
"TRF" Member

The diver is great - wear mine as a daily. Gets used for just about everything.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2020, 02:55 PM   #29
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivan2829 View Post
Love that strap, where did you source that?

From another Forum member - but it’s an AP strap so can be ordered direct from them.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2020, 01:13 AM   #30
sullivan2829
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
From another Forum member - but it’s an AP strap so can be ordered direct from them.

Fantastic - thanks

Chris