The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 December 2021, 11:43 AM   #1
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Watch Find (at my own home)

At least 20 years ago, my father gave me a pouch and said "this contains coins, and watches, DON'T lose it!!!". I put it away and came across it today!

There was a silver dollar from my dad's birth year (1923) along with quite a few silver dollars and half dollars. He used to get them in Vegas when they used actual dollar and half-dollar coins at the blackjack tables instead of chips. He usually came home with at least one silver one that he came across. Even a roll of wheat pennies.

Then there were 2 watches:

First up is a Hamilton Fountainbleu that my father purchased while my folks were on a Caribbean Cruise in 1974 for their 25th Wedding Anniversary. It's stamped with model number 453.220. I gave the crown a couple turns at the watch did run.

I was only 7 at the time so I don't know what he paid for it, but in the $400 range rings a bell. The back is stamped 18K. This was his "Saturday Night watch", he would wear it when my parents went to the theater, weddings, vacations, and other special occasions. Unfortunately, due to type of band, I'm not sure it could even be lengthened to fit me. I don't need to wear it, I'm just happy to have it.

The second watch is one that I don't remember ever seeing before. Not sure if it was my dad's or one of my grandfathers, I never knew my grandfathers, they both passed several years before I was born. If it was my dad's he wore it before he bought his Rolex OP in 1971. Unfortunately, unless I happen to spot it on someone's wrist in an old family photo, I'll never know if it was his or someone else's.

It's a Longines Automatic.

Best guess is that this watch has not been worn in over 50 years. I was looking at it with the camera on my phone to enlarge it and couldn't believe that the small second hand was actually moving just from the little bit of motion of turning it over in my hands to look at it!!! I know I should have pulled the crown as to not damage any components, but I was so shocked, I set the time and wore it for an hour. I didn't compare it down to the second, but there did not seem to be any time deviation over that hour. There is no model stamped on it, just "10K Gold Filled". The band has "A Longine Wittnauer Product 10K G.F. USA" stamped on the clasp.

Now to figure out what to do with them...put them away or get them back into running condition?
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 02:55 PM   #2
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Wow what a great find and story. The Hamilton appears to have the more well known backstory. Based on what you know of the two if it was me that would be the one I’d be most concerned with preserving.

The other I’d probably get fixed up if possible and wear it in rotation. It’s a sharp watch with some sort of family history and would be great to wear and a nice conversation piece.

Congratulations with whatever you do. No wrong answer. Just great options.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 03:37 PM   #3
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

If you are not going to wear them, I would just find some way to display them, and not get them fixed.

I was curious what the back of the Fontainebleau looked like. I have never seen one in a gold case. Could you attach a photo of the back?
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2021, 04:55 PM   #4
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
If you are not going to wear them, I would just find some way to display them, and not get them fixed.

I was curious what the back of the Fontainebleau looked like. I have never seen one in a gold case. Could you attach a photo of the back?
And it's now 5+ hours later, the Longines is still showing the correct time!

Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 December 2021, 06:23 AM   #5
dannyp
Banned

Stylistically, that Longines looks like it's probably from the 50s, if I had to guess. Looks to be about 33mm, give or take?
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote