The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 4 March 2022, 05:25 AM   #1
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

How to set up a newly acquired Panerai?

I just purchased my 1st Panerai, a 233.

With the time, date, GMT function and am/pm indicator, there are a lot of complications to set. In addition to that I will have three straps and two buckles (tang and deployant) to play with?

Fortunately the 233 has an 8 day power reserve so once I set it, I am set.

What is the best place to go to learn how to set it (and change straps)? Is there a youtube or specialized watch website that has resources that can help me?
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
njlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 09:10 AM   #2
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
For Strap Changing, youtube would be your best bet
In regards to setting it, I'd read the instruction manual
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2022, 11:10 AM   #3
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks. The instruction manual was pretty clear, except on how the set the GMT function.

Any one have any experience with this?
Laine V38 SS - JLC Reverso Duo Q2714910 SS - Grand Seiko SGBA407 SS - Baltic Aquascaphe SS
TAG Heuer Formula One - Swatch MoonSwatch Mission to the Moon/Mercury/Jupiter/Neptune
Old 5 March 2022, 12:30 PM   #4
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlam View Post
Thanks. The instruction manual was pretty clear, except on how the set the GMT function.

Any one have any experience with this?

Yes; I was an owner of 233 dot for many years; it sounds like you have pm/am indicator instead.

Your watch has two hour hands; one “local time” and one “home time” hour hand.

The “home” time hour hand is the black hand; the local one is the silver colored hand.

If the two hands are not sitting on top of each other; open crown to “jumping hour position” (probably one click out) and move the crown until the two hands are on top of each other.

Then pull out crown one more step and set time with minute and hour hand correctly to your local time. (NOTE the am pm indicator and set up in the time to distinguish between 6am and 6pm or 18:00.)

You are done.

Travel to new location and pull crown out and move jumping hour hand to the appropriate time. The “home hand” will stay put and will continue to tell you what time it’s at home while the local hand will control the date.

The beauty of Panerai 12 hour gmt is you can hide the gmt hand to clean up the dial.

An alternate use case….

If you work from home but constantly speaking to folks across the world and don’t want to do the mental math; you can set up your watch inverted. This is what I did.

Set the dark hand to the other location (so it doesn’t stand out at first glance) and set the local hand to your home time…. You can always have your 2nd location time as reference but not have it pop out with the dark hand.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2022, 04:47 AM   #5
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
Yes; I was an owner of 233 dot for many years; it sounds like you have pm/am indicator instead.

Your watch has two hour hands; one “local time” and one “home time” hour hand.

The “home” time hour hand is the black hand; the local one is the silver colored hand.

If the two hands are not sitting on top of each other; open crown to “jumping hour position” (probably one click out) and move the crown until the two hands are on top of each other.

Then pull out crown one more step and set time with minute and hour hand correctly to your local time. (NOTE the am pm indicator and set up in the time to distinguish between 6am and 6pm or 18:00.)

You are done.

Travel to new location and pull crown out and move jumping hour hand to the appropriate time. The “home hand” will stay put and will continue to tell you what time it’s at home while the local hand will control the date.

The beauty of Panerai 12 hour gmt is you can hide the gmt hand to clean up the dial.

An alternate use case….

If you work from home but constantly speaking to folks across the world and don’t want to do the mental math; you can set up your watch inverted. This is what I did.

Set the dark hand to the other location (so it doesn’t stand out at first glance) and set the local hand to your home time…. You can always have your 2nd location time as reference but not have it pop out with the dark hand.

Have fun! k
Thanks. here is another 233 question as the instruction manual is not clear,

I have set my watch to the correct local time (pacific) and date and positioned the GMT hand to indicate the eastern time zone (3 hours ahead of the local time).

I have noticed on the am/pm indicator (located at the 9 o’clock position) changes from pm to am along with the GMT hand, rather than with the local hand.

Is this how it is supposed to work, or can the watch be adjusted so the move from pm to am occurs with the local time hand?

I am not sure if the watch is working properly as is or requires adjustment. The owners manual is confusing on this issue. In some ways it makes sense that the am/pm indicator is governed by the GMT hand as it should be obvious to the wearer if they are in am or pm.

Thanks for any guidance.
Old 9 March 2022, 09:11 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You pretty much know if you are in am or pm. The other hand needs to know if it is am or pm in the zone it is monitoring.
Old 9 March 2022, 10:30 AM   #7
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed. I just want to make sure the watch was designed to be as smart as I am...
Old 10 March 2022, 07:37 AM   #8
njlam
2024 Pledge Member

Okay, I figured it out. I guess those more experienced with GMT the solution seems rather obvious, but a learning experience to me.

In the instruction manual, to properly set up the watch, you first need to align the GMT hour hand with the local time hand (this is done in the first click position to set the hour). Not only does this unclutter the face, but also reflect the correct time (only) when at home. Once both hour hands are aligned/set, the exact local time can be set with the watch in the second click position.

Care needs to be taken so the dial at the 9 o'clock position reflects the correct am/pm position, and since the GMT and local hour hands are aligned, the hand indicating am/pm works correctly/precisely when the time passes midnight.

Perfect.

Now, when you travel to a different time zone, you can set the correct/local time with the local hand (not the GMT hand) by going to the first click and adjusting. The watch will now reflect the new time zone you are in, but the GMT hand will indicate the time at home.

In this configuration, the am/pm hand movement will be dictated by the GMT hand, as the wearer can obviously tell if it is am or pm where he/she is, but the am/pm dial will indicate am or pm in the home time zone.

I was worried that my 233 had some kind of mechanical glich in it, but it is just user confusion. I confirmed all this with the Panerai concierge