The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 May 2020, 09:27 AM   #91
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I hate to pile on, but the dial is a refinish at best.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2020, 05:17 PM   #92
LLmrol
"TRF" Member

Any updates?
LLmrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2020, 07:46 AM   #93
Wing Zero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 ~ 16610LV
My biggest concern with this lesson learned is what happens to the watch now?

Does it circulate back into the wild to fool the next unsuspecting buyer?

These fakers do a very good job of producing fakes but 99% of fakers don’t go all the way. There are small little signs if you know where to look.

The hardest part is getting everything to match. The dial, engravings, wear on the case, bevels, bracelet wear, engravings on the case back, wear between the lugs.

Example between the numbers in a 2 million serial will be different than 3 million serial, which is different from a 5 million serial.

You can equip yourself by looking at hundreds of pictures and looking for pattern in the case shape, serial number, case engravings, dial variations.

It also helps to join a replica site and looking at all the fakes coming out of China and Vietnam.

Most fakers are very proud of their work and will post long details about their projects.

Good luck out there.
Caveat Emptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wing Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2020, 04:13 PM   #94
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Zero View Post

These fakers do a very good job of producing fakes but 99% of fakers don’t go all the way. There are small little signs if you know where to look.

The hardest part is getting everything to match. The dial, engravings, wear on the case, bevels, bracelet wear, engravings on the case back, wear between the lugs.

Example between the numbers in a 2 million serial will be different than 3 million serial, which is different from a 5 million serial.

You can equip yourself by looking at hundreds of pictures and looking for pattern in the case shape, serial number, case engravings, dial variations.

It also helps to join a replica site and looking at all the fakes coming out of China and Vietnam.

Most fakers are very proud of their work and will post long details about their projects.

Good luck out there.
Caveat Emptor.

Yep, watch heads back out to craigslist and finds a new home.

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 06:23 AM   #95
golfdmb18
"TRF" Member

What happened with this?

golfdmb18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 06:37 AM   #96
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
No feedback. Makes me a bit suspicious about the post.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 08:36 AM   #97
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMarcus View Post
Me too and he seemed not as upset as I would have been. The whole story and aw shucks attitude are strange to say the least.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 10:58 AM   #98
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
damn. very disturbing. the lengths people will go.
op's story being true or not, pretty sure everyone can learn something from this thread
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 03:43 PM   #99
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Didn’t reply to your post because all your questions had already been answered. Didn’t feel the need to type out again what had already been stated.
Zz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 03:47 PM   #100
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watch View Post
Me too and he seemed not as upset as I would have been. The whole story and aw shucks attitude are strange to say the least.

I’m sorry I didn’t appear as upset as you’d have liked to see. Money’s not the end of the world.
Old 22 May 2020, 03:52 PM   #101
Zz101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Zero View Post

Good luck out there.
Caveat Emptor.

Thanks for the tips. If there’s a next time I’ll definitely do more research first. I plan to have my watchmaker take it apart and I’ll sell the authentic parts to recover the little bit of money I can.
Old 22 May 2020, 04:58 PM   #102
Derbyshere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zz101 View Post
Thanks for the tips. If there’s a next time I’ll definitely do more research first. I plan to have my watchmaker take it apart and I’ll sell the authentic parts to recover the little bit of money I can.
Sorry for the trouble man, once bitten twice shy.
Derbyshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 09:13 PM   #103
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Have you pressed the authorities to investigate? If you were in a bank surely the scammer is on tape and if they made a transaction you might get a name.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2020, 10:32 PM   #104
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zz101 View Post
I’m sorry I didn’t appear as upset as you’d have liked to see. Money’s not the end of the world.
OP,

Let’s put this in perspective. You came on TRF and asked for information regarding a vintage Rolex piece you just bought you believed was circumspect at best and probably fake. Time was of the essence because you just made the purchase sight unseen. You sure seemed concerned to most of us who responded. It takes some effort to post those photos on TRF and then do some follow up posts. Members took their time to provide some really valuable information to help you decide what to do. It’s not unfair to ask for follow up. You think any of us would want to buy from that dealer? If you weren’t that upset than why bother getting TRF members involved. Now you say no big deal. Sorry but that is an odd response based upon my experience. Next time maybe be considerate of TRF before you do a drive by. Members, including myself, were genuinely concerned about a member (you) possibly being ripped off. In case you haven’t figured it out TRF members, particularly in the vintage realm, are a group of aficionados who care about our watches and our hobby, and our members being ripped off. Lots of fraud out there as you just experienced apparently.

Again, truly sorry if in fact you did buy a bad watch. We only wanted to help.

But now the issue is maybe you should offer some TRF members an apology for being so rude and wasting our time.

FYI, Sometimes fraudsters want to vet their bad watches through expert forum members as a way to test their fake watches. I’m not saying you did that. I’m mentioning that because that is why perhaps some members may be circumspect. You surely did not react like most people, rich or not, who just lost thousand of dollars to a con job.

Good luck.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2020, 07:50 AM   #105
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OP,

Let’s put this in perspective. You came on TRF and asked for information regarding a vintage Rolex piece you just bought you believed was circumspect at best and probably fake. Time was of the essence because you just made the purchase sight unseen. You sure seemed concerned to most of us who responded. It takes some effort to post those photos on TRF and then do some follow up posts. Members took their time to provide some really valuable information to help you decide what to do. It’s not unfair to ask for follow up. You think any of us would want to buy from that dealer? If you weren’t that upset than why bother getting TRF members involved. Now you say no big deal. Sorry but that is an odd response based upon my experience. Next time maybe be considerate of TRF before you do a drive by. Members, including myself, were genuinely concerned about a member (you) possibly being ripped off. In case you haven’t figured it out TRF members, particularly in the vintage realm, are a group of aficionados who care about our watches and our hobby, and our members being ripped off. Lots of fraud out there as you just experienced apparently.

But now the issue is maybe you should offer some TRF members an apology for being so rude and wasting our time.

FYI, Sometimes fraudsters want to vet their bad watches through expert forum members as a way to test their fake watches. I’m not saying you did that. I’m mentioning that because that is why perhaps some members may be circumspect. You surely did not react like most people, rich or not, who just lost thousand of dollars to a con job.

Good luck.
I have to say I’m in agreement. There are different levels of disclosure and I’ve had first hand experience with what I consider a lack of complete transparency. Everyone has different opinions, but collectors should look out for each other.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:11 AM   #106
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Now you say no big deal. Sorry but that is an odd response based upon my experience.
To us, it’s odd, but to the person trying to fix their cognitive dissonance by downplaying being ripped off, it’s a pretty normal way to not feel even worse.

I agree, it would have been considerate, grateful even, after the help given by others, to post an earlier update. But when someone’s new, maybe it can be hard sometimes to know what the unspoken house rules are?

Depressing ending anyway: keeping it, paying someone as a last measure to disassemble it for parts sale, and then to be chided for poor form in a forum... It’s almost blackly comical, only I’m inclined to believe it’s real, and therefore not funny at all.

What a miserable, but informative thread...
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:17 AM   #107
VintageVagabound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
Have you pressed the authorities to investigate? If you were in a bank surely the scammer is on tape and if they made a transaction you might get a name.

This is not a criminal case. One guy sold a watch to another guy who inspected it, paid cash and got a receipt. Upon further inspection after the fact he believes the dial is not authentic but the bracelet and movement are. Nobody appears to be certain whether or not the papers are legit. If selling a redial was a crime half of eBay would be in prison.

It’s a civil case and ultimately he can’t say “I got 50 varying opinions on the Rolex Forums”. He’ll need to send the watch to a Rolex service center and see what they say. If the papers are legit then there is no case whatsoever. Falsifying papers or presenting false papers could help in a civil case but they could never prove who falsified them for a criminal case. It sucks all around but you need to see what Rolex says and see what you can part out from there.
VintageVagabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 03:34 AM   #108
cardiel
"TRF" Member

don't see why this post is getting folk so agitated.....bloke takes a punt on a rare / valuable watch....bloke learns lesson the hard way......
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 07:07 AM   #109
Paulie 50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiel View Post
don't see why this post is getting folk so agitated.....bloke takes a punt on a rare / valuable watch....bloke learns lesson the hard way......
Paulie 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:18 AM   #110
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiel View Post
That’s what I was trying to say.
Old 24 May 2020, 09:45 AM   #111
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
A lesson to be learned with this story not the first person to be scammed and I’m sure won’t be the last,it’s disappointing the lengths people will go to
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:46 AM   #112
1sttok
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegmt73 View Post
IMHO Fake papers and fake vietnamite dial

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
What is your proof that it is fake?
1sttok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 09:54 AM   #113
1sttok
Banned

WOW didn't notice anything fake about, who can actually help tell the difference please so i can learn.
1sttok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 10:45 AM   #114
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Educational post. He took a calculated risk based in his previous experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 10:55 AM   #115
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
OP,

Good luck.
Well stated AJ
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 11:38 AM   #116
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttok View Post
WOW didn't notice anything fake about, who can actually help tell the difference please so i can learn.

Don’t know how or why you were banned - but we don’t discuss fakes and how to help with that.

There is a section called WatchOut to post fakes to help members avoid the seller.

I have noticed the Vintage Rolex section is getting more fakes than it should. I feel it’s an appropriate place to vet the originality or correctness of this bit or that bit.

But full-on fakes might better be seen in WatchOut.

Just my 2¢

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2020, 02:39 PM   #117
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Don’t know how or why you were banned...
Speculating: they had been a member for four years without posting, then suddenly notched 12 posts within half an hour, potentially towards suspicious ends.
Old 24 May 2020, 02:41 PM   #118
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Eyes View Post
Speculating: they had been a member for four years without posting, then suddenly notched 12 posts within half an hour, potentially towards suspicious ends.

Well spotted; possibly so...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 08:37 AM   #119
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
There has been a lot of strange post popping up.

tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:44 PM   #120
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Sad story. OP you’re more relaxed than I would be. It would appear that you enjoy the gamble when buying watches and you didn’t check here first in case someone else spotted and bought the piece from under you perhaps. I’m guessing the price was a steal? Interested to see what happens.