The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 26 March 2023, 03:15 PM   #1
TimeAfterTime
"TRF" Member

If it is too good to be true ...

I found a beautiful no-date five digit Sub on eBay with a buy it now price of $6204 USD!!!

If you don't want a Sub you can choose from 3400!!! other Rolexes from the same seller, all with similar discounts.

Here's the rub. There is no "Buy it now" button but, rather, you must copy and paste a link to access the buy it now price. NOTE: I'm not certain this is what is happening here but be aware that any purchases made outside the eBay platform are NOT covered by the eBay money back guarantee.

I tried to post a link to the listing but I don't have enough posts yet. Go to eBay and search for Rolex Submariner 16610. It is an auction (March 25 start date) with a current bid of $102.50.

Another oddity: The seller says they are liquidating the contents of a pawn shop in California but the link to the seller takes you to a French discount store that sells disposable lighters and knick-knacks.

What is going on?
TimeAfterTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 03:19 PM   #2
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

That’s a common scam on eBay. eBay usually takes these down fairly quickly. You can report it to eBay so no one falls for it
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 03:26 PM   #3
TimeAfterTime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
That’s a common scam on eBay. eBay usually takes these down fairly quickly. You can report it to eBay so no one falls for it
Thanks. I already did.
TimeAfterTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 03:26 PM   #4
Livinlrge
Banned

Sounds like a scam to me..I once had a very elaborate scam where someone actually and legitimately spent money for priority mail regarding some gift cards that were also legit cards, but turns out were originally purchased fraudulently and the scam was to venmo the person money for these gift cards as part of mystery shopper thing.. and the giftcards balance chcked out as active...anyways point is there are some extremely elaborate and convincing stories out there but there I'd also a ton of bs so just becareful!

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Livinlrge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 03:54 PM   #5
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Scam
Old 26 March 2023, 10:57 PM   #6
Greglaw
Banned

Great idea, you should definitely do it, because you cannot possibly know that you shouldn’t buy a high end item like that on eBay and ignore all of the threads on this site and warnings all over the internet as you will be the lucky one who does not get scammed, or you will luck and not be, spread the word to lead others to the promised land and they get scammed, or you are the eBay seller...

Or, hmmmm...you could apply just a scintilla of common sense and do a few minutes of research and realize it is not a good idea. Love these posts.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 11:01 PM   #7
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

This exact scam has been going on for over 15 years on eBay. It’s extremely common.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 11:18 PM   #8
HAPConst
Banned

My advice is do everything thru eBay no matter the extra fees and cost. I buy a lot of coins. A $3,500 coin arrived damaged due to poor packaging. Seller told me to screw, no returns. I contacted eBay and they took over. End result, eBay reimbursed me for the cost of the coin and told me to keep it instead of sending it back. I didn’t have special eBay insurance or anything like that. eBay is a solid platform if you stay within their guidelines.
HAPConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 03:33 AM   #9
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPConst View Post
My advice is do everything thru eBay no matter the extra fees and cost. I buy a lot of coins. A $3,500 coin arrived damaged due to poor packaging. Seller told me to screw, no returns. I contacted eBay and they took over. End result, eBay reimbursed me for the cost of the coin and told me to keep it instead of sending it back. I didn’t have special eBay insurance or anything like that. eBay is a solid platform if you stay within their guidelines.

Good advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote