The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 March 2023, 02:35 PM   #1
Softswerve
"TRF" Member

Help authenticating stone DJ

Hi folks, I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on this datejust that looks like it’s in pretty good condition and since many of you are experts and have had years of looking at these, I wanted to check if you all think it all checks out. Seller says it’s all original factory and looks like it to me, but I’m not as savvy. Thanks in advance for looking.
Softswerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 08:19 PM   #2
oysterfisher
"TRF" Member

Pretty nice stone dial lady DJ.
Take a close look at the bracelet. most of them have been heavy beaten or overpolished over the years.
oysterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2023, 06:48 AM   #3
Softswerve
"TRF" Member

Thank you! Bracelet looks to be in good shape as well for its age. Excited about it.
Old 12 March 2023, 10:05 AM   #4
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Nice tiger eye
Gets picks of the clasp to check the band out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 March 2023, 10:14 AM   #5
offrdmania
2024 Pledge Member

OP, are you aware of how small the watch is?
Old 13 March 2023, 06:06 PM   #6
Softswerve
"TRF" Member

Yes, was looking for a smaller watch as a woman will be wearing this. Will try to get pics of the clasp.
Old 26 March 2023, 01:45 AM   #7
Softswerve
"TRF" Member

Following up with more photos of the clasp/bracelet now that I’ve received the watch. Full disclosure: this was an eBay purchase - I couldn’t find any forum-trusted dealers or sellers with this available. It went through the eBay authentication process with Stoll & Co. but I know that method has been highly questioned as well. They seemed to confirm the serial number in the authentication card details - that means they actually open it up to look between the lugs right? Here are the extra pics:

https://imgur.com/a/CnFvOCx

Would appreciate a look from you lot of vintage lovers and your thoughts. Should I take it to a watchmaker to assess for accuracy and condition? It feels good and seems in great condition but I’ve only handled one of these briefly in the past. I haven’t worn it yet but when I wind it, the watch will only run for 2 hours unworn before it needs to be rewound. Is this normal for an unworn automatic?
Old 26 March 2023, 03:53 AM   #8
oysterfisher
"TRF" Member

Sounds like she is in need of a service. Anyway, dial looks like to be in good condition and -for the images i can see- it looks legit.
oysterfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 04:37 AM   #9
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Idk about the Lady DJs, but it sounds like either it’s not being fully wound or it needs service. (Power reserve <8 hours would require it to be reset every morning!) Again with the caveat of my profound ignorance, presumably it cannot be damaged by overwinding - Have you given it 30-40 turns? If so, and it stops within 8 hours, I’d assume it needs service (e.g., perhaps a new mainspring?)

Also - Wonderful, beautiful choice!
My stepsis seriously covets my tiger eye DD (to the extent that, if she thought she’d inherit it, I might fear for my life )

(I think … )
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 96CE4389-0718-4F8C-91F8-BA758D92D26D.jpeg (83.2 KB, 126 views)
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 05:17 AM   #10
Softswerve
"TRF" Member

Thank you, all. I think you guys are right, even though the seller assured me he already got it serviced, I took it over to a local watchmaker, where we found out that no winding was essentially happening because we couldn’t feel any tension when trying to wind. Also when setting the time, I noticed it was feeling very loose and was also told that is not normal. The watchmaker was able to play around and got the tension back on the winder, but he told me this will probably keep happening if I don’t get a proper repair.

At this point, I plan to email the seller and see whether they want me to send it back for them to fix or cover the repair costs it would take for me to take it from here. Has anyone dealt with similar issues?

Was excited about this one, but looks like EBay’s authentication service doesn’t check running condition when they authenticate either
Old 27 March 2023, 05:20 AM   #11
Softswerve
"TRF" Member

@miamiclay Haha! I don’t blame your stepsis at all - the tiger eye dial is quite striking in person and I hope I’m able to work out these initial kinks and keep the watch.
Old 12 April 2023, 06:05 AM   #12
Softswerve
"TRF" Member

Resurfacing this thread with an update that it’s back with the seller to be repaired. Got some pics of the case back interior and movement too:

https://imgur.com/a/jM5I4yn

Anyone know why some of these case back stamps have zeros after the first two digits of the reference number like this one here instead of just the actual reference (e.g. 6900 vs. 6917)? Does everything else inside check out?

Also wondering what the difference of the stamping of 8570 vs. 8570 F on the bracelet means? Or what the ‘A’ on the backside of the clasp stands for? Would love insight if anyone knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
Idk about the Lady DJs, but it sounds like either it’s not being fully wound or it needs service. (Power reserve <8 hours would require it to be reset every morning!) Again with the caveat of my profound ignorance, presumably it cannot be damaged by overwinding - Have you given it 30-40 turns? If so, and it stops within 8 hours, I’d assume it needs service (e.g., perhaps a new mainspring?)

Also - Wonderful, beautiful choice!
My stepsis seriously covets my tiger eye DD (to the extent that, if she thought she’d inherit it, I might fear for my life )

(I think … )