The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 March 2023, 03:52 PM   #1
headpower
"TRF" Member

Is it possible to walk in an AD in Toronto and line up for the new Daytona?

I think this question might be asked to death. I have a datejust inherited from my father. I wore it occasionally and really love the aesthetics of daytona for all these years. I am not a fan of paying anything over msrp or interested in purchasing it at grey market price. So my question is how likely I can walk in a Toronto AD and ask them to put me in line for the new 126500 with no prior purchase history. Will I be ignored? I have no interest in purchasing other watches that I don't intend to own or resell it just to purchase the daytona.

I once heard from a Toronto real estate friend that most daytonas are purchased up by real estate agents in Toronto to entice potential house buyers to buy units from these real estate agents because they can guarantee they can let the buyers buy the daytona at msrp. I am just curious if anyone has any success story to buy a daytona at msrp.
headpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:02 PM   #2
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpower View Post
I think this question might be asked to death. I have a datejust inherited from my father. I wore it occasionally and really love the aesthetics of daytona for all these years. I am not a fan of paying anything over msrp or interested in purchasing it at grey market price. So my question is how likely I can walk in a Toronto AD and ask them to put me in line for the new 126500 with no prior purchase history. Will I be ignored? I have no interest in purchasing other watches that I don't intend to own or resell it just to purchase the daytona.

You will definitely be first in line.

I once heard from a Toronto real estate friend that most daytonas are purchased up by real estate agents in Toronto to entice potential house buyers to buy units from these real estate agents because they can guarantee they can let the buyers buy the daytona at msrp. I am just curious if anyone has any success story to buy a daytona at msrp.
Only if the real estate agents also own a Rolex AD.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:07 PM   #3
Alo(ha)waii
"TRF" Member

Unless you’re a public figure of some sort… MAYBE. If you’re a nobody… NO CHANCE.
Alo(ha)waii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:08 PM   #4
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Quote:
(Don’t try this!) if you walk in with a gun and hold them hostage for a few hours they might give you a Daytona…maybe

Quote:
no comprende
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:28 PM   #5
Saxonite
"TRF" Member

Anything can happen so I won’t say you have zero chance but I wouldn’t hold my breathe. Wear your date just into the store and strike up a conversation with a salesperson. Keep in mind your AD has been getting calls and texts all day from both existing clients and people like yourself without sales history. My former AD wouldn’t turn off the phone release days otherwise they would never actually get to work. After you visit your AD, stop by once a month and talk to the same person. Learn their coffee order. Wear your watch every time. Talk watches with them for a bit but don’t take too much of their time. They usually work commission so don’t prevent them from making a sale but do build a relationship with them. If you have a significant other, buying gifts from that AD will help. You have to play the game, and you may get lucky. The real estate story is likely BS too.

This has been said thousands of times on this thread but you can’t just walk in, say you want a Daytona and just wait for a call. It will never come. For me I don’t have a Daytona because I wanted a blue Sky Dweller instead but if I wanted the Daytona I could have gotten that.
Saxonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:29 PM   #6
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Slim to none - and even if you somehow managed to get your name down, then the next issue would be actually getting a call. Nevertheless, only one way to find out
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:29 PM   #7
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:

Zero chance. More chance of walking to the Lotto HQ and them declaring you a winner
Nairn1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:22 PM   #8
ikincooper
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Agree with the replies you’ve so far received. Why don’t you go in to the AD in question and ask them what the journey to a Daytona would typically look like.

I can tell you my purchasing history prior to being offered a Daytona in Jan of this year but I’m in the UK so it might not be relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ikincooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:53 PM   #9
bp1000
"TRF" Member

God loves a trier. You may just get lucky. But it will be luck.

Sidenote. Daytona range has really slimmed down, therefore I expect them to up production of what is new, hopefully more watches incoming for people who want them. So you never know!
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 06:10 PM   #10
Cheutc
"TRF" Member

headpower u trying to make a quick buck flipping?
Cheutc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 06:56 PM   #11
RichardBartlett
"TRF" Member

Make sure someone brings you food and water every few months whilst you wait
RichardBartlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:00 PM   #12
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
No. Close the thread.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:24 PM   #13
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver2012 View Post
No. Close the thread.

Comedy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:30 PM   #14
harvey
"TRF" Member

…of course it’s possible…also if you buy two, you may get a discount (start negotiation at 20% but settle at 10%).
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:50 PM   #15
Parapraxis
"TRF" Member

0% chance is your best bet,
More realistically your chance is less than zero.

I think you need to decide on another watch you want, then buy a couple more, build a relationship, and then in a few years you can circle back to the idea of a Daytona.
Parapraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:52 PM   #16
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

You can line up anywhere you want. I wouldn't waste your time though.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:59 PM   #17
just1time
"TRF" Member

hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
Slim to none - and even if you somehow managed to get your name down, then the next issue would be actually getting a call. Nevertheless, only one way to find out
Slim to None is very optimistic. I say None to Impossible.
But who knows...crazier things have happened in life.
Give it a go. You never know.
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:06 AM   #18
headpower
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheutc View Post
headpower u trying to make a quick buck flipping?
No I just like the watch, I intend to wear it myself. There are better things to flip than watches.
headpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:18 AM   #19
Daytona81
Banned

You have a better chance of getting this from Santa.
Daytona81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:18 AM   #20
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
In my calling AD's in Toronto for over 20 years for a Daytona, the general response I got was one of laughter, followed by the standard, "We'll put you on a list, call you in 7-8 years." Then hanging up, usually without taking my details....

When I was ready to buy a Daytona the first time, think I might still be the proud owner of a 92/93 Zenith Daytona....years of trying and finally went gray here in 2018 for my 116520.

What I'm lying to myself about right now, is the possibility of trading in an existing Daytona to the Rolex Certified Pre-Owned program and being able to purchase the new within a reasonable time frame.

Having said that, "slim to impossible" is what comes to mind in your and my scenario.....
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:27 AM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Try raffi and offer to do a special order for 40,000 CAD.
Old 29 March 2023, 01:14 AM   #22
logo
"TRF" Member

It is sad, but unfortunately we cannot just walk in and buy what we want even though they are not really limited or rare. Just crazy demand. Reminds me of Jingle All The Way. They should redo that movie except grown men demanding Daytonas instead of children wanting the action doll.

logo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:18 AM   #23
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Try raffi and offer to do a special order for 40,000 CAD.
Shut it Tom … you’re giving away the inside scoop here
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:32 AM   #24
mrlube1151001
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41 TT sub
It is difficult
mrlube1151001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:44 AM   #25
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

They might take your name but without a purchase history, slim to none.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:45 AM   #26
WilsdorfNDavis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
In my calling AD's in Toronto for over 20 years for a Daytona, the general response I got was one of laughter, followed by the standard, "We'll put you on a list, call you in 7-8 years." Then hanging up, usually without taking my details.....

No wonder you've never received a Daytona, you called the ADs.
You need to go into the AD's...they get dozens of calls a week just like yours.

To the OP, it's going to be nearly impossible.
But you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Old 29 March 2023, 02:34 AM   #27
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So my question is how likely I can walk in a Toronto AD and ask them to put me in line for the new 126500 with no prior purchase history. Will I be ignored?
I think you'll be ignored in this forum as well, jk. If everyone can just signup and get the hottest watch in the world, then the world would be fair, but it's not. You have better chance at the lottery than having an SA sell you a brand new Daytona. If they do, they'd probably be promptly fired unless you also immediately purchase $100k+ worth of product that isn't selling.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:55 AM   #28
JJGreen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675 or 1016
It's possible to walk in and form a line (of a single person), but you're likely not getting that watch!

Hi from Canada!
JJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 02:55 AM   #29
yonexsp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
No, and even if you spend 100k, they will still laugh at you
yonexsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 03:02 AM   #30
Tim Plains
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
I am not a fan of paying anything over msrp or interested in purchasing it at grey market price.
Serious question. Do you think anyone wants to pay market prices for a Daytona?

Highly unlikely you will get a basic SS Submariner as a first purchase, forget about a SS Daytona.
Tim Plains is offline   Reply With Quote