The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 March 2023, 02:29 AM   #31
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post

My wife has the white 5268. Hands down the original one is much nicer.
Very much agreed here.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 02:43 AM   #32
myk7000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Great Question...
Aren't these negative reactions similar to reactions from last year?

And then over the year, eventually people started to highly appreciate the 5326/5226, the salmon variants and the 5230p?

Or am I mistaken?

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of the new 5924 and weirdly find the new ladies' (why ladies btw?) aquanaut attractive.
myk7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 02:55 AM   #33
dauster
"TRF" Member

agreed apart from the super high end grand comps 5531 and the super cool 5316 which is basically unattainalble for normal people not excited. the 5226 and its big bro the 5326 were really cool modern interpretations but idk not excited about anything this year
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:09 AM   #34
JMac6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk7000 View Post
Aren't these negative reactions similar to reactions from last year?

And then over the year, eventually people started to highly appreciate the 5326/5226, the salmon variants and the 5230p?

Or am I mistaken?

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of the new 5924 and weirdly find the new ladies' (why ladies btw?) aquanaut attractive.
I think you are mistaken. 5226/5326 did take some warming up too, for sure. But I think the salmon variants, and the 5230P, were hits from the start.
JMac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:46 AM   #35
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post

I really like the time zone execution here and a fly back Chrono under the hood to boot. Still keeps that cool Pilot watch aesthetic.
This was one of my favourites as well.. at least looks wise. Not sure how inconvenient having recessed buttons on the side will be though. If these trade anything like the 5524 on the grey market it could be very interesting.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:51 AM   #36
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

regarding the pilot

seems brilliant of patek to go deeper on the one line that's available for less than msrp (pilot line) that should balance out aquanautilus demand nicely. They're just playing 4d chess with it all. Also 42mm with +50mm lug to lug look really great on most people so get ready for more patek pilot fever to sweep the world.

also keep the dress watches with prominent lumed arabic numerals coming - nobody likes the breguet numerals like on the 5196p or horrible stick indices like on a 3417
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 03:58 AM   #37
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post
regarding the pilot

seems brilliant of patek to go deeper on the one line that's available for less than msrp (pilot line) that should balance out aquanautilus demand nicely. They're just playing 4d chess with it all. Also 42mm with +50mm lug to lug look really great on most people so get ready for more patek pilot fever to sweep the world.

also keep the dress watches with prominent lumed arabic numerals coming - nobody likes the breguet numerals like on the 5196p or horrible stick indices like on a 3417
lol unfortunetaley you are spot on
Old 28 March 2023, 11:29 AM   #38
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickorette View Post
If I was trying to get people to shy away from Patek, my line-up would look like this
One great way to solve the demand issue...
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 02:29 PM   #39
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francoamerican View Post

Damn right. Who would want those???
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 02:44 PM   #40
DonLee
"TRF" Member

I remember, last year this time, we were talking about all the new models like crazy.

now it's like a ghost town.

I didn't like the 6007g at first, but now it's grown on me.

The 5905 in blue is absolutely stunning.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 04:48 PM   #41
norcalgt3
"TRF" Member

yea, not excited
norcalgt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 05:37 PM   #42
bob101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgt3 View Post
yea, not excited
Not a fan of anything really apart from the unobtainable rare handcraft world time 5331 and the 5968r. Quite disappointjng..
The case for the 5224r is really nice and reminiscent of the likes of the 3433 calatrava but such a disappointing cluttered dial and horrible font in my opinion. I was hoping would see a 5196 replacement with the new dial open caseback, something harking back to sector 96 or 565a, 570.
I’d like to see them get it right and use that case again with a revived classic.
For the 5924 do you really have to use push pins to adjust travel time? Thats mad for a 65k chf watch..
bob101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 07:35 PM   #43
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob101 View Post
For the 5924 do you really have to use push pins to adjust travel time? Thats mad for a 65k chf watch..

No. Push pin is for the date.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:05 PM   #44
bob101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hmm that’s not what the likes of HODINKEE are reporting:

..”My main question is the ease of use for the new travel-time. While the Nautilus and Aquanaut Travel Time functions work through more subtle pushers, the new Pilot Travel Time Chronograph looks to have the buttons recessed into the case as you would find on a calendar watch from the brand, albeit maybe slightly larger.

I'd hate to have to pull out a pen to set the travel time, especially because it's such an otherwise elegant and smooth solution for a second timezone. We'll have to see how it works in an upcoming hands-on.“
Old 28 March 2023, 08:17 PM   #45
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What do you think does the second push pin achieve? Me thinks the 2 push pins are for the travel time function as they are located where the 2 left-side pushers are on 5524 and 5520. They probably felt 4 pushers would be too much after the flak the 5520 had attracted in that regard.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:28 PM   #46
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
What do you think does the second push pin achieve? Me thinks the 2 push pins are for the travel time function as they are located where the 2 left-side pushers are on 5524 and 5520. They probably felt 4 pushers would be too much after the flak the 5520 had attracted in that regard.

Does the travel time function not work from the crown like the new Calatrava?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 March 2023, 08:31 PM   #47
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
Does the travel time function not work from the crown like the new Calatrava?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, it doesn't. The manual of 5924 confirms that they dropped the 2 left-side pushers for those 2 push pins. Better have a tooth pick ready.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:35 PM   #48
bob101
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
No, it doesn't. The manual of 5924 confirms that they dropped the 2 left-side pushers for those 2 push pins. Better have a tooth pick ready.
Face palm moment right there.. Really poor design choice, seems like a step back. Don’t recall the Pan Am boys having to carry toothpicks to adjust their GMT’s every flight lol
Old 28 March 2023, 08:48 PM   #49
Dalaruan
"TRF" Member

Pretty clear what patek is doing.
Entry level-ish watches they go absolute hublot, it's probably what they think the new generation of ultra rich young guns like, and then at the multi million grand complication and art watches they target those in their 70/80s with more classically ornate watches.
As for classical entry level dress watch? Patek probably doesn't give a flying fu.ck anymore
Dalaruan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 08:52 PM   #50
bob101
"TRF" Member

Well said, that’s why I’m continuing down the vintage route.. I feel like the pieces I like are unobtainable and the “ entry level “ ones not my style.
Old 28 March 2023, 09:22 PM   #51
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

2023 Novelties

I don’t hate the releases but don’t love them either. The only one I’m requesting is a 5271R for my wife.

I see where the 6007 fits in the lineup. Tbh, for an entry level Patek, I like it more for a younger buyer than a 5167 or similar. That said, it’s not for me. My 6007a rarely gets worn.

Like a lot of you, I thought we’d see a 5196 replacement, but do we really need it? 6119 checks the boxes needed and is a great piece.

The 5924 is a dog if you ask me. 42mm and 13mm thick - oof. And the pin pusher travel time seemingly makes it unusable. Would’ve been very cool to see a new chronograph movement based on the 31-260 movement instead of the older 330-sc. The 31-260 would’ve fit the case better, allowed for crown controlled travel time and reduced the thickness.

I’m also not a fan of the 5224r. 42mm just seems too big for that watch. At 40mm it would be ok but it’s nowhere close imo to the 5326g (which is my current daily wearer).

That 5316/50P though might be my favorite watch ever. Unfortunately, I’m not rich enough to apply for one.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 09:44 PM   #52
Partekular
"TRF" Member

The PP marketing problem is that they cannot supply the mass market demand they have created by the PP Flexing they engendered by eg. the Tiffany Nautilus and 5711 auction publicity. Their AD’s have nothing to sell and serve only to give away brochures.

Favouring big spenders frustrates those attracted by the designs and mechanisms. LandS have dealt with excess demand by asking for full cash deposits and providing a delivery date. Why can’t Patek do this? Their system of putting people on elastic lists in which they never reach the top is poor marketing however much they deploy and train sales staff in “expectation management”.

The new models merely create further demand which they cannot satisfy. PP’s are a niche product (66,000 pa world supply) which appears devoted to mass marketing. Perhaps they ought to shrink down to PP owned boutiques sales only?

The other effect of their marketing is that some models are now street theft magnets, as Rolex have been for years, and wearing them is hazardous in larger cities.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 09:51 PM   #53
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
LandS have dealt with excess demand by asking for full cash deposits and providing a delivery date.
Lange & Soehne take a full deposit - not familiar with this.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:28 PM   #54
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Lange & Soehne take a full deposit - not familiar with this.
My experience at the ALS boutique is that they took 30% deposit but before the recent price increase on 3/19, I had the option to lock in the price if I paid in full.

BTW, taking deposit seems to be decision on the individual PP AD’s decision. My AD takes a 50% deposit and provide an ETA. (In fact, the 5740 incoming this year had a 70% deposit already)
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2023, 10:35 PM   #55
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
My experience at the ALS boutique is that they took 30% deposit but before the recent price increase on 3/19, I had the option to lock in the price if I paid in full.

BTW, taking deposit seems to be decision on the individual PP AD’s decision. My AD takes a 50% deposit and provide an ETA. (In fact, the 5740 incoming this year had a 70% deposit already)
Thanks for the more detailed info. I was told they wanted a full deposit a while ago… as you suggest, probably varies.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 12:44 AM   #56
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I would prefer this approach as well even if it means waiting a few years for the watch. It’s better than never really knowing where you stand.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:04 AM   #57
Vasco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
https://www.patek.com/en/collection/new-models-2023

I only like the 5531G this year but I know I won't be able to get an allocation. Hence 2023 is kind to my wallet (I know the Nautilus is later part of the year but I won't be interested unless there is a RG 5740).
They prepared for you a selection of Rare Handcrafts: https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...re-handcrafts/
Vasco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:12 AM   #58
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Whatever AL&S does kind of doesn’t matter because it’s not a 1-1 comparison.

Patek seems to be doing just fine with its current strategy even if they’re pissing off a lot of old customers in the process. In reality a mid-tier customer who isn’t a buyer for their six figure pieces is fairly replaceable.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2023, 01:17 AM   #59
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I remember, last year this time, we were talking about all the new models like crazy.

now it's like a ghost town.

I didn't like the 6007g at first, but now it's grown on me.

The 5905 in blue is absolutely stunning.
100 agree last year they knocked it out of the park. this year not so much. I do like the blue 5905 - really would love to see and try it on.
Old 29 March 2023, 01:21 AM   #60
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
They prepared for you a selection of Rare Handcrafts: https://www.hightime-reviews.com/pat...re-handcrafts/
Thanks for this wonderful link!
I saw Anita Porchet's sign-off on the 5738 Golden Ellipse, which is similar to last year as i remember she also did the Golden Ellipse. Love her work!
Also saw another sign-off "JPV" on the minute repeater 5538G. This one is miniature painting and shows very intricate details - those leaves must be a pain to paint! Would like to know who painted this one.
I doubt I will ever receive these rare handcrafts, but good to know Patek is carrying on such fine tradition of art and craft. A toast to their artisans and craftsmen
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote