The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 31 July 2021, 11:18 PM   #1
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
A “new” 1675

This post is likely to cause some on here to have their hair curl. I’ll start off with a small preface.

I don’t like modern Rolex - the Daytona excluded. I’ve tried. They appeal visually to me, but not on the wrist. My sweet spot are the 5 digit reference. That said, I have always wanted a 4 digit reference. My concern however is always the same - condition. The prices of an all original 1675 for example can be north of 20k for rusted hands, flaking tritium and missing bracelets. Perfect condition all originals are north of 25k and there’s still no guarantees with these prices in term of “under the hood”. I just can’t justify purchasing a 50 year old watch for these prices and not be able to wear it without worry.

Two weeks ago a 1675 2.8mm serial (‘71-‘72) came across WatchRecon that was RSC factory serviced (w/ papers) with genuine replacement bezel, dial, hands, crown, tubes, gaskets, crystal and bracelet. To me, it was a brand new 1675 as if Rolex produced them today. The watch may not have anything other than the case and movement original (I believe the date wheel is also the original brushed silver open 6/9 flat 3), but it maintains all the design esthetics of the 1675 and in a fully working, serviced package:

- Matte dial with large lume plots - WG no surrounds
- Open 6/9, flat 3 date wheel
- Raised crystal
- Wide bezel

I jumped. It was exactly what I was looking for. The watch came a few days ago and as far as I can tell, the watch was never used post service. The bracelet hinges are stiff, loctite glue was still in all the screws, not a mark on the case or bracelet and it runs within superlative spec.

I’m very happy. To me the beauty of this 50 year old watch is that 50 years later, it works as it originally did when first purchased. Since RSC serviced, I don’t have to worry about non-genuine parts or needing to service anytime soon. Also price wise, it’s at the bottom of the 1675 price spectrum for arguably the most everyday wearable on that 1675 spectrum.

The vintage guys here I know are going to scoff at this. It’s fine, I totally get that side too. All collectors are different. But this 50 year old beauty I expect to last another 50 without issue.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tools; 1 August 2021 at 03:04 AM.. Reason: Title Correction
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 11:35 PM   #2
Deep18
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I. Love. It.

For real that’s awesome.
Deep18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2021, 11:44 PM   #3
Avs Fan
"TRF" Member

It looks great! Love the matte dial! Like you said, it's not trying to be an original vintage watch, and you know all the parts are genuine.
Avs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 12:04 AM   #4
Driver8
"TRF" Member

That is EXACTLY how I like my "vintage" watches - like they just rolled off the production line!

Personally I hate seeing other people's wear and tear on my watches - patina schmatina! - so service dials and parts on vintage pieces are no problem to me at all. Obviously I'm not a true vintage aficionado (nor do I ever claim to be), but I do like these older pieces, so this would be the perfect 1675 for me. In fact I'm always on the lookout for a 1655 in exactly this kind of condition.

Many congrats, and I'm more than just a little bit jealous!
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 12:17 AM   #5
0-60
"TRF" Member

Very beautiful. I would have done the exact same.
Old 1 August 2021, 12:24 AM   #6
lis
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Really nice.
lis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 12:35 AM   #7
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
I think that looks great! Would be very nice to have working lume on my own 1675. Not that I would ever switch out the parts on mine given the condition is very good, just dead Lume . I am thinking about getting a new watch to satisfy the desire for working Lume plots. That is a beautiful watch!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 12:37 AM   #8
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Looks great IMO. Well done.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 01:03 AM   #9
Nurseford25
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega’s/Sub
Love it!
Nurseford25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 01:05 AM   #10
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Very nice. Congrats.

I’ve toyed with the idea of finding one like that as well. I like the idea truth be told.
Old 1 August 2021, 01:20 AM   #11
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Looks great
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 01:35 AM   #12
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
My vintage 75090 black Submariner says, "wow."
Old 1 August 2021, 01:42 AM   #13
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Quite nice. Congratulations on an amazing buy.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 02:16 AM   #14
Number3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060LB
Looks incredible. Love it and I totally understand your thinking. As Driver8 said, I’m just a little bit jealous too!
Number3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 02:19 AM   #15
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Beautiful, and the reason as you’ve described why RSC always recommend new parts. I regret not buying a ‘new’ 1680 a while ago. Luminova matte dials are amazing. Congratulations
Old 1 August 2021, 02:39 AM   #16
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the kind words … really enjoying this piece. So glad I pulled the trigger.

Sorry about fat fingering the thread title. Should be 1675

Old 1 August 2021, 02:44 AM   #17
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Good looking watch.

It's always better to salvage a good watch, with new parts, than it is to have a thrashed, non-functional safe queen.

If we, as enthusiasts, do not rescue watches that need it, who will.
Old 1 August 2021, 02:54 AM   #18
Golf&Watches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719
Jackpot, congratulations!
Golf&Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 03:00 AM   #19
KeithP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 126900/SM 300M
I’m with you OP- this is the way I’d want it do it too. Amazing piece- enjoy in the best of health!

Last edited by KeithP; 1 August 2021 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: Spelling!
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 03:04 AM   #20
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

NICE!!!

My only concern with vintage is to make sure they are water proof… Any watch I can’t swim with, doesn’t last long.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 03:06 AM   #21
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Perfect. I wish they still made them like this. Maybe Rolex one day will also go with a “vintage” or “new old stock” line that brings back the original features that made the brand great in the first place. With the exception of the new Explorer 36mm there is nothing in the current line up that I’d spend money on.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 03:27 AM   #22
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post
My sweet spot are the 5 digit reference. That said, I have always wanted a 4 digit reference. My concern however is always the same - condition. The prices of an all original 1675 for example can be north of 20k for rusted hands, flaking tritium and missing bracelets. Perfect condition all originals are north of 25k and there’s still no guarantees with these prices in term of “under the hood”. I just can’t justify purchasing a 50 year old watch for these prices and not be able to wear it without worry.

Two weeks ago a 1675 2.8mm serial (‘71-‘72) came across WatchRecon that was RSC factory serviced (w/ papers) with genuine replacement bezel, dial, hands, crown, tubes, gaskets, crystal and bracelet. To me, it was a brand new 1675 as if Rolex produced them today. The watch may not have anything other than the case and movement original (I believe the date wheel is also the original brushed silver open 6/9 flat 3), but it maintains all the design esthetics of the 1675 and in a fully working, serviced package:

- Matte dial with large lume plots - WG no surrounds
- Open 6/9, flat 3 date wheel
- Raised crystal
- Wide bezel

I jumped. It was exactly what I was looking for. The watch came a few days ago and as far as I can tell, the watch was never used post service. The bracelet hinges are stiff, loctite glue was still in all the screws, not a mark on the case or bracelet and it runs within superlative spec.
Hang on while I squeegee the walls here, you just blew my mind to pieces. I've read posts for years that indicated Rolex wouldn't even service anything from this era. That only in very rare circumstances would they possibly send something back to the mothership for a "restoration" at an obscene cost. But are you saying this RSC service was fairly recently? As a 1675 owner myself I had no idea RSC was even an option for this reference...

Your watch is amazing. You are truly lucky to find such a piece in this market.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 03:38 AM   #23
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

A “new” 1675

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Hang on while I squeegee the walls here, you just blew my mind to pieces. I've read posts for years that indicated Rolex wouldn't even service anything from this era. That only in very rare circumstances would they possibly send something back to the mothership for a "restoration" at an obscene cost. But are you saying this RSC service was fairly recently? As a 1675 owner myself I had no idea RSC was even an option for this reference...

Your watch is amazing. You are truly lucky to find such a piece in this market.

So the service was done in March of 2008 by RSC through Rolex Canada. The invoice paperwork shows all of the replacement parts listed out including a pressure test, movement service and case restoration. And then there’s a separate guarantee slip from Rolex of 2 years on the work.

I too had heard the same thing about servicing vintage pieces. So perhaps this is a more recent change to their policies? After all, we’re talking about 13 years ago this service was done.

I didn’t even know until a few months ago while doing research they even made Super Luminova matte replacement dials. But since learning about them I’ve seen them on 1655’s, 1675’s and 1680’s. There’s a thread over in the vintage forum where someone actually got a 1680 red submariner super luminova replacement. I don’t remember the date on that thread, I found it digging one day.

I had never seen one on this good of a restored condition done by Rolex themselves with paperwork and documentation. That’s why I jumped on it.

Old 1 August 2021, 03:40 AM   #24
Stan Cooper

Watch: GMT-Master II
That looks fantastic (as I kick myself for selling my 1675 several years ago).

♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 03:47 AM   #25
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
It looks beautiful! A superb job´s been done on it. You could've fooled me that it's from 1971/72! Do wear it and enjoy it, hopefully for many years to come...!
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 04:01 AM   #26
Bladeshot

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Congrats and well done! I love vintage. But I miss the lume on the dial and hands sometimes. Other times, a watch is in such disrepair that’s about all you can do, without investing a fortune in original parts… I’ve had the exact same thought, about doing a service dial and hands on a sub or GMT.

Yours will go another 100 years with service.

I hope you get to enjoy it the majority of that time.

Cheers.
Old 1 August 2021, 06:25 AM   #27
Zsprings
"TRF" Member

The GMT looks great, exactly like the 16750 I bought new in 1980. In those days, I, like many others, would wear a watch without any cares, it was serviced twice and each time RSC re-polished the watch and refinished the bracelet. So I was pleased to read RSC recently did a service, as I also understood they no longer take in these old watches.
So, 2yrs ago and the watch being 20yrs since it's last service, the plexi glass had become rather scratched and rounded at the edges. I can live with the rounded edge to the glass, but not the scratches, so I masked the bezel and polished the plexi face in situ. The difference was like looking at a new matte face, as with the scratches removed, the shadows from the scratches on the face disappeared.
Zsprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 07:05 AM   #28
jpmurphy1933
"TRF" Member

I did the same thing a few years ago. I love mine. It’s marked as a tritium dial but it’s Luminova. Congrats. 799DA183-2645-4C3E-B0DF-FDDBA87B3FA1.jpeg
jpmurphy1933 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2021, 07:07 AM   #29
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Nice find, for a like new daily vintage you did real well.
Old 1 August 2021, 07:36 AM   #30
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
You know I nearly bought one of these the other day, actually it was 16700 I think very similar. I actually don’t go for 5 digits usually either I really liked it - again like you, passed on condition.

You have a great watch enjoy :)
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote