The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 March 2023, 11:34 AM   #1
Crazypainter92
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 1680 Red Sub
Papers

Probably a dumb question, but I’m gonna ask anyway. I received a 1969 Red Sub that is in great condition, from my uncle who was an Army Ranger and passed away. I love the watch, but was wondering if there is any way to get papers for it. He threw them away. Thanks for any help.
Crazypainter92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 12:06 PM   #2
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

welcome and great little pass down.

Can you share more pictures of the watch in question? I noted the one you posted on the vintage thread but more is always better.

Alot of time what happens is these watches have been serviced, repaired and for e.g. the dial may have been replaced, refinished, etc which will impact desirability.

Re: papers. No, if the original papers were lost, its gone. Rolex won't issue out replacements.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 12:45 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Papers generally refer to the original warranty, and once that is gone, it's gone. To my knowledge, no manufacturer will make a copy of the original warranty for you.

However, most other good Swiss watch manufacturers offer some sort of historical information from their archives, often for a fee. But not Rolex.

If you have a Rolex Service Center service your watch, they will give you a warranty for that service.
Old 26 March 2023, 01:06 AM   #4
Crazypainter92
"TRF" Member

48D3E915-EBFB-40FA-AAF4-27A3F32036CC.jpegThanks for the info. This watch has never been serviced.
Old 26 March 2023, 01:07 AM   #5
Crazypainter92
"TRF" Member

It’s sill working perfectly. I figured I wouldn’t attempt a service until necessary. I’m afraid of them changing out parts to updated ones.
Old 26 March 2023, 01:20 AM   #6
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Nice watch.... forget the papers, just have a good watchmaker open it up and check if it needs a service. Don't wait until it stops working.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 05:33 AM   #7
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Well I, rarely if ever, have a different view to Swaini....but if it's running ok personally I'd leave it. The parts on a 1570/5 are very cheap so when it stops working or gains or looses a lot, is the point in the time I'd do it (complex expensive calibres like moon phase/perp/rare manual Tudor sub.. different mindset perhaps).

I say this as someone with a very modest collection...my pal Salvatore in Italy has over 3000 pieces, and he said it would be like 'painting the Forth Rail Bridge' if he had his collection in for regular servicing, and you see his point, both administratively and financially !

Nice MTRS first...
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 05:38 AM   #8
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazypainter92 View Post
It’s sill working perfectly. I figured I wouldn’t attempt a service until necessary. I’m afraid of them changing out parts to updated ones.
I wasn't really recommending that you have Rolex service it, just noting that it is a way to get some sort of documentation from Rolex since you seemed interested in that.
Old 26 March 2023, 06:43 AM   #9
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRo View Post
Well I, rarely if ever, have a different view to Swaini....but if it's running ok personally I'd leave it. The parts on a 1570/5 are very cheap so when it stops working or gains or looses a lot, is the point in the time I'd do it (complex expensive calibres like moon phase/perp/rare manual Tudor sub.. different mindset perhaps).

I say this as someone with a very modest collection...my pal Salvatore in Italy has over 3000 pieces, and he said it would be like 'painting the Forth Rail Bridge' if he had his collection in for regular servicing, and you see his point, both administratively and financially !

Nice MTRS first...
i dont know Paul, If we speak generally about oiled mechanical parts, you can save more of the movement long term imo. I'd rather change little bits in the movement every 5-10 yrs than possibly the whole movement later. I know its a work horse this movement, but no service since 69/70 is too much
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2023, 06:59 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaini3 View Post
Nice watch.... forget the papers, just have a good watchmaker open it up and check if it needs a service. Don't wait until it stops working.
On more expensive vintage pieces, like a red Sub, I agree with this, especially if the watch will be worn and not just sit in a safe. You can do more damage to the movement by wearing it if it's not been serviced for several decades, and in this case, more than a half-century. Then you have the gaskets. Moisture and humidity can get into a watch that's not taken care of.

I asked this question recently of well regarded watchmaker Phillip Ridley about my never-serviced 16520 from 1997. He compared it to a vintage Mustang that's been sitting in a garage for 40 years. With a good battery and fuel, it would run, but you'd definitely want to change the oil.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 11:32 AM   #11
Crazypainter92
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the response. I wear it everyone I go out and and every weekend, so it will be worn a lot. Is there a way to have it serviced without compromising its value. Does it have to be serviced by Rolex or can someone else do it. Or can Rolex do it without changing any of the parts that makes it valuable?
Old 27 March 2023, 12:24 PM   #12
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Lovely watch with some great provenance, you should see if you can find a picture of him wearing it. Try Phillip Ridley for service. You can do a search on the forum for his many (excellent!) references and examples. Even my own. He serviced my 1973 GMT Master. There are probably other options in your neck of the woods too but Phillip is very well regarded, a pleasure to work with, and only uses Rolex parts.
https://ridleywatchmakers.com/
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 03:33 PM   #13
LetMeHearItNow
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I wear it everyone I go out and and every weekend, so it will be worn a lot. Is there a way to have it serviced without compromising its value. Does it have to be serviced by Rolex or can someone else do it. Or can Rolex do it without changing any of the parts that makes it valuable?

I second, third and fourth asking Phillip to service your watch. You have a damn good looking watch in great condition. Let’s say it’s worth $25k USD for argument’s sake. You also mention you’ll be wearing it relatively often. Assuming it just needs a full service, new gaskets and some miscellaneous parts I believe it’s beyond reasonable to spend maybe 3%-5% (just my own rough estimate, I am not speculating to know what your actual cost would be) of your watch’s value to have the peace of mind of, it running strong and accurate, ensuring there aren’t cracks in what appears to be a very old plexi which could certainly have some type of crack somewhere and it would be a shame to needlessly risk any moisture or water getting in and potentially damaging an awesome dial and set of hands.

Phillip serviced and did a good amount of work on my ‘62 chapter ring 5512 (some guys won’t even work on pre-1963 watches due to the radium) and I couldn’t be happier. He even ensured it was waterproof to 10ATM. Again, just nice to have the peace of mind. And it’s also nice to feel your watch winding smoothly when you set it. Plus dealing with him is great.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LetMeHearItNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 05:26 PM   #14
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeHearItNow View Post
Let’s say it’s worth $25k USD for argument’s sake.
A rarer meters-first Red Sub (as opposed to feet-first) with bracelet like this is significantly more than $25k.

I wouldn't even wear it at this value point due to risk of loss or theft.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 05:53 PM   #15
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
If you're going to wear it 24/7 then I moderate my opinion. Many here have certain watches they wear once or twice a year with within no sight of any water - I would still stick to my guns on those instances.

As an ex-insurance Co.owner may I suggest (if not done already of course) you get it insured c $50,000 (with full out of home cover). Congrats on watch.

For ref 0.5-1% of insured value is strong quote for say a few, though single pieces can be 1.5-3%.
TuRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2023, 09:57 PM   #16
Crazypainter92
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the compliments and info. I am definitely getting the insurance on it.
Old 27 March 2023, 10:45 PM   #17
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the compliments and info. I am definitely getting the insurance on it.
Wear it very carefully (only at home, for me) in the knowledge that you have 40 - 50 grand on your wrist, and that it's going to keep appreciating. You can't replace this even with insurance money.

Don't be wearing it in nightclub with the champagne.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote