The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 October 2018, 08:42 AM   #1
greanie
"TRF" Member

Aerospace Knowledge ??

I am and have been interested in an Aerospace for some time . . . a good "Grab and Go" watch . .. regardless of what you were wearing prior, or want to wear (Basically because its quartz it should be no muss or fuss).

What has been the experience wearing one of these in rotation with an automatic?
Whats a good resource for some Knowledge on this watch (Looking for the EVO)?
Is this a good Watch to get at Retail (Or Grey/AfterMarket)?

Thanks for the Help
greanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 07:33 PM   #2
Robertus2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greanie View Post
I am and have been interested in an Aerospace for some time . . . a good "Grab and Go" watch . .. regardless of what you were wearing prior, or want to wear (Basically because its quartz it should be no muss or fuss).

What has been the experience wearing one of these in rotation with an automatic?
Whats a good resource for some Knowledge on this watch (Looking for the EVO)?
Is this a good Watch to get at Retail (Or Grey/AfterMarket)?

Thanks for the Help
I have an Aerospace Evo (42 mm version, black dial on bracelet) and wear it very very rarely despite I love the watch. Reason: I enjoy much more to wear mechanical watches (IWC, Breitling and Sinn, all chronographs - I sold my last Rolex cca. 15-16 years ago). The Aerospace has some clear ups and downs. For me the most important 2 downs are the diffucult use via the crown only and the missing simultaneous display of the hours, minutes, seconds, day, date and chronograph (normal display of the Valjoux 7750). The most important ups: you don not have to take care of keeping the watch "alive" - just grab'n'go as you wrote, the 3 seconds (!) it gains per year, the movement not being so much sensible against impacts and magnetic fields and the feather weight. So sometimes this is my choice, other times (more frequently) not. Hope this helps, though it's only one opinion of course.
Best,
Robert
Robertus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:35 AM   #3
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Great watch, BUT NEVER buy one at retail.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:25 AM   #4
greanie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Great watch, BUT NEVER buy one at retail.
Ha ha, sounds like solid Advice.
Old 24 October 2018, 01:25 AM   #5
greanie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertus2 View Post
I have an Aerospace Evo (42 mm version, black dial on bracelet) and wear it very very rarely despite I love the watch. Reason: I enjoy much more to wear mechanical watches (IWC, Breitling and Sinn, all chronographs - I sold my last Rolex cca. 15-16 years ago). The Aerospace has some clear ups and downs. For me the most important 2 downs are the diffucult use via the crown only and the missing simultaneous display of the hours, minutes, seconds, day, date and chronograph (normal display of the Valjoux 7750). The most important ups: you don not have to take care of keeping the watch "alive" - just grab'n'go as you wrote, the 3 seconds (!) it gains per year, the movement not being so much sensible against impacts and magnetic fields and the feather weight. So sometimes this is my choice, other times (more frequently) not. Hope this helps, though it's only one opinion of course.
Best,
Robert
Good Information, i appreciate the opinions.
Old 27 October 2018, 06:49 AM   #6
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I have had the Aerospace EVO before. Its a lovely watch. Those huge polished 12-3-6-9 indices looked great, even though the hands were on the small side. I liked how it looks more so than I thought I would. Also it wore comfortably for a 43mm watch, titanium and thin flat case profile definitely helped.

I would engage the minute repeater function whenever I was alone in the elevator. That was fun. LOL

The single crown operation was not ideal to be honest. It worked, but not great. It was like a trade off for the good looks with no buttons.

I enjoy the watch while I had it, and I still like the watch even though I no long own one.

The reason why I sold it was not the small-ish hands, not the lack of function, not the single crown operation, not even that you have to set the calendar when its Feb 29th, but its the construction.

Since I do my own DIY battery change, how the watch is constructed matters. When I did battery change on my previous Aerospace Avantage, I seriously disliked the way the caseback gasket is setup. It sits right a the edge of the opening of the case for the movement. Its just too easy to mis-align the gasket and mess up the water resistant. Also, the "movement" is basically an IC board on plastic holder, not very impressive given the price. And boy, the battery clip is held down by tiny screws. I have not done the battery change on the EVO when I had it, but I "assume" its the same construction.

Compare that with the Omega X-33 gen 1 and 2. The "movement" looks and feels more like a movement, handling the battery change doesn't remind me of working on a Casio or Timex. And caseback gasket sits in a grove on the case like other watches and has less chance for messing it up. Having the buttons on X-33 makes it easier when I actually needs to use the function.

X-33 looks like a tool watch and acts like one. I would give the look department to Aerospace EVO, but at the end of the day, I picked X-33 (gen 1 and 2, gen 3 is a whole other story :D ) over the EVO when I needed the funds for another watch (the same old story that has been told a million times LOL). There are plenty of times when I look at the EVO and told myself that I want one back, but funding is not been kind and there are just too many other watches out there that I want to try. :D

Its very accurate and good for setting the automatic watch against it if you incline since its a SQ.

And no retail, grey market or good condition used one. One good thing is that any fake attempts are easy to spot (and mostly for the older model? I don't even remember seeing much fake) so good condition used one are relatively safe to buy if all functions are tested out.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote