The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20 October 2018, 03:58 AM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricalEngineer View Post
Quick Question

As the watch runs out of reserve power, does it just come to a stop?

Or does it loose significant amount of time and then slowly stops?

Im trying to understand if what is goin on is user error or if something is mechanically wrong
Have you read any of my reply posts IMHO it's mainly a owner error.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 20 October 2018, 03:59 AM   #32
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:

i am really disappointed
Understandable, but the very fact it comes with a warranty is an indication that things occasionally go wrong. At least it's covered. Speaking of which, if you take it to your AD, I think you would be well advised to be clear with them that any "calibration" they pefform does not void the warranty.
Old 20 October 2018, 04:04 AM   #33
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have you read any of my reply posts IMHO it's mainly a owner error.
I think it's fair to say it could be owner error. But we don't know for a fact his watch isn't legitimately screwy, do we?
Old 20 October 2018, 04:08 AM   #34
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Quick Question

Im trying to understand if what is goin on is user error or if something is mechanically wrong
On my 116610, it's usually within +1s on a full power reserve. On a low power reserve, it's more like -1s. So it does lose a bit as it winds down, but it's not a dramatic shift.

As for ruling out user error, follow Padi's recommended steps for a week. You'll find out.
Old 20 October 2018, 04:24 AM   #35
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
As for ruling out user error, follow Padi's recommended steps for a week. You'll find out.
This. OP just follow steps recommended on your own before going to AD or RSC.
Old 20 October 2018, 04:41 AM   #36
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardoG View Post
Sorry, I feel 'service center' sounds like a place full or tools and oil (actually, it is), so some prefer to call it the 'spa'; where they will pamper and clean your watch, returning it fresh and looking like new.
We also call it "The Barbershop" at times...
Old 20 October 2018, 04:50 AM   #37
ElectricalEngineer
"TRF" Member

Ok, well ill do some documenting then before i let the AD screw with it

I need to come up with a procedure on how to document it. Should i wind it daily or just let it be after one winding

I just checked again, the watch is an entire minute slow now since this morning
Old 20 October 2018, 04:56 AM   #38
ElectricalEngineer
"TRF" Member

also do you all have some play in the hands of the watch when you set it?
When i pull the crown out and go to roll it forward our back i have about 1/4 turn of play
is that normal
Old 20 October 2018, 04:58 AM   #39
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I need to come up with a procedure on how to document it. Should i wind it daily or just let it be after one winding
If I were doing it, I would give it a full 40 winds daily, or nightly, just to be sure power reserve is consistent. For this purpose, you're not interested in rate across the entire power reserve. You're trying to rule out low power reserve as an influence on timekeeping. Use a reliable time source, such as time.gov. Phones and computers can have rate variations, which will throw off your results. The actual time isn't as important as the variance, so even a good quartz watch will work for the purposes of tracking your Sub, like Padi said.

Really, you probably won't even need a week. If you've got a solid time source, are checking it correctly, and know for a fact you're giving it a full wind daily, you'll know pretty quickly if your watch is screwed up.
Old 20 October 2018, 05:04 AM   #40
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
also do you all have some play in the hands of the watch when you set it?
When i pull the crown out and go to roll it forward our back i have about 1/4 turn of play
is that normal
Totally normal. It's gear train lash (or backlash).
Old 20 October 2018, 05:43 AM   #41
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
This does not sound at all like user error. The overwhelming majority of Rolex owners know absolutely nothing about watches, and yet they wear their Rolex and the watch keeps time. The OP’s watch is clearly not keeping time. He’d know if it was just plain stopped... he’s saying it’s running very slow. And it’s way outside the variance for low power reserve. Needs to go to RSC in my opinion.
Old 20 October 2018, 07:07 AM   #42
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauffee View Post
And it’s way outside the variance for low power reserve.
True. I should clarify that I'm questioning whether the watch winds down to an extent that it stops running for a period of time, and loses time for that reason. I agree that low power reserve alone - as in, the watch is still running, but with less tension on the mainspring - would not be enough to account for several hours of time loss. It could well be his watch needs servicing of some sort, whether demagnetization, or something greater. But it won't hurt for him to take a few more days to perform a careful check, just to rule out user error. If it's not error, he'll know soon enough. If it is error, then he'll have saved himself the trouble of a trip to the AD, or shipping it off to RSC.
Old 20 October 2018, 08:06 AM   #43
R!$
Banned

sorry for your bad luck
Old 20 October 2018, 08:08 AM   #44
Psijason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamster 300 Green
To me this doesn't sound like it has anything to do with you at all. Let a RSC get it right.
Old 20 October 2018, 01:20 PM   #45
Muxi
"TRF" Member

For what it’s worth, this rarely happens at all.
Old 20 October 2018, 08:11 PM   #46
Buzzlite
"TRF" Member

What I found with mine is that fully wound it was losing 2 seconds over night. I take my watch off and leave dial up at 6pm. As the power reserve gets lower the watch gains time. By morning 9am I have regained the lost seconds from wearing in the day. But this sounds way off.

So in short a fully wound watch will lose time. A low power reserve will gain time. Strange I know but that's how it works

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 20 October 2018, 10:17 PM   #47
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
A lot of jumping to conclusions with solutions when we do not know what the problem is or if there is a problem. If your AD is local and they have a watch tech on premise give them a call to set up a time to go by. The tech can check, on the spot, to see if the watch is magnetized and un-magnetize it on the spot if it is. They should also have a timing machine that the watch can be put on and you can get the rate result within minutes to determine if there is an issue. The tech can also tell by the rate results what might be causing this. If there is a problem find out the recommendation of the tech. My AD will not work on watches that are under warranty, they always return them to the Service Center for the work. You bought a great watch and before you get disappointed figure out what is occurring. If your expectation is that all 1 million mechanical watches produced by Rolex a year will operate flawlessly that might be a little unrealistic. If there is an issue, then Rolex will make it right. Keep us posted on what you find out and decide to do.
Old 21 October 2018, 01:44 AM   #48
ElectricalEngineer
"TRF" Member

So i woke up this morning and checked it.

It was right on time.

Yesterday around the time i made the post, i wound it 40 times just to be sure and wore it all day. I set the time and took a picture of the watch with another clock in the background.

Upon inspection this morning it was correct.

After inspecting it this morning i wound it again another 40 turns and will examine it this evening and tomorrow morning to see where its at.

If it is correct this evening, i will not wind it tonight and check it again in the morning.

That would be a full 24 hrs with no winding.

If its accurate in the morning i will again not wind it and let it go untill tomorrow evening for 36 hours since a wind.

We will see what happens.

Im glad i have a warranty and i know it will be taken care of and i still love my watch but im certainly disappointed im dealing with this.
Old 21 October 2018, 04:19 AM   #49
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Quick Question

When it runs out of time, it stops, it does not slow down to a stop.

A watch, when it is low on power, typically runs a bit faster, not slower. There is not enough power to fully push the hairspring around and it "ticks" quicker because it takes more time to make a full hairspring rotation than it does a low power half rotation.

My feeling is that you are simply not active during the week and when you pick up your "2 hour slow" watch, it has stopped, and when you move it, it starts so it appears to have been running all the time. You are trying to not harm your watch by babying it and in doing so, you are not imparting enough movement to automatically wind it.

Wind it again fully on Wednesday each week to make sure that it is operating at the upper half of it's power reserve all week.
Old 21 October 2018, 04:30 AM   #50
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
A watch, when it is low on power, typically runs a bit faster, not slower. There is not enough power to fully push the hairspring around and it "ticks" quicker because it takes more time to make a full hairspring rotation than it does a low power half rotation.
This is my understanding, in theory. In practice, my 3135 gains slightly when fully wound, and loses slightly when lower on power. The difference is only a second or two, but I've noticed it enough times to believe it's not a mistake. Any idea why?
Old 21 October 2018, 04:31 AM   #51
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
So i woke up this morning and checked it.

It was right on time.

Yesterday around the time i made the post, i wound it 40 times just to be sure and wore it all day. I set the time and took a picture of the watch with another clock in the background.

Upon inspection this morning it was correct.

After inspecting it this morning i wound it again another 40 turns and will examine it this evening and tomorrow morning to see where its at.

If it is correct this evening, i will not wind it tonight and check it again in the morning.

That would be a full 24 hrs with no winding.

If its accurate in the morning i will again not wind it and let it go untill tomorrow evening for 36 hours since a wind.

We will see what happens.

Im glad i have a warranty and i know it will be taken care of and i still love my watch but im certainly disappointed im dealing with this.
Time.gov is the best source to check your watch against. It is official NIST USA time and website is corrected for any network delay. I love it.
Old 21 October 2018, 04:38 AM   #52
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Quick Question

Consider a good quality single watch winder if you wear the watch sparingly or are inactive at your job. The winder will keep the mainspring at optimum tension overnight when you are not wearing it.
Old 21 October 2018, 05:29 AM   #53
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
This is my understanding, in theory. In practice, my 3135 gains slightly when fully wound, and loses slightly when lower on power. The difference is only a second or two, but I've noticed it enough times to believe it's not a mistake. Any idea why?
There are certainly other forces in play, and we are talking about a well lubricated watch that is static - and theoretical design (isochronism).

In use a fully wound watch can overcome inherent friction forces that will put additional drag on an underpowered movement and so you would likely only see the dramatic difference at the far ends of the power curve. Every mechanical piece will have different characteristics of it's own.
Old 22 October 2018, 07:33 AM   #54
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
There are certainly other forces in play, and we are talking about a well lubricated watch that is static - and theoretical design (isochronism).

In use a fully wound watch can overcome inherent friction forces that will put additional drag on an underpowered movement and so you would likely only see the dramatic difference at the far ends of the power curve. Every mechanical piece will have different characteristics of it's own.
Good to know. Thanks.
Old 6 November 2018, 10:23 AM   #55
ElectricalEngineer
"TRF" Member

Just an update on this
I forgot to follow up
The watch is pristine. I must not of wound it properly.

I did 2 tests while logging the time over 48 hours
Then again the same test a week later

Held its time perfectly when wound properly.
100% user error

Lets just say im an idiot :)

however, im glad its not in need of repair and enjoying it daily.
Thanks for all the support
Old 6 November 2018, 10:39 AM   #56
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Not to sound contrary but my job involves sitting at a desk and looking at data for the most part. It's hardly a highly active job. I've never ever had a watch stop on my wrist unless it was a manual wind and I forgot to wind it. I once got upset because a watch stopped on a winder; I'd turned the winder of but forgot to start it again.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 6 November 2018, 11:04 AM   #57
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Just an update on this
I forgot to follow up

100% user error

That's good news. Just goes to show, taking a little extra time to check is a good idea. Think of the hassle if you'd shipped it to RSC on the advice those who were certain it couldn't have been user error.
Old 6 November 2018, 12:09 PM   #58
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Quote:
Just an update on this
I forgot to follow up

100% user error

I'm so confused. So what exactly did you do or not do that caused the watch to not function as expected originally?
Old 6 November 2018, 12:15 PM   #59
ElectricalEngineer
"TRF" Member

I am pretty sure I possibly just set it wrong.

So to make sure I followed the following procedure and I did it twice one week apart.

I made sure to wind the watch 40 times. I literally counted.
I took a picture of time.gov site and a picture of the watch and wrote down the setting in a book.

So I knew they were accurate. I did 4 hour checks the first day. at each 4 hour interval I would it 40 turns again.

No issues.

Then I did the same thing over again but at 12 hour increments. Multiple times winding it 40 turns at each check to reset the power reserve

No issues

Then did it again at 24 hours

No issues

Then again at 48 hours

All is well, so I wore it for another week and then repeated this test.

No issues still

Had to be user error.
Old 6 November 2018, 01:54 PM   #60
Jmatik23
"TRF" Member

Best part of this is that you learned how to use it! So look at it as a plus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread