The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 28 June 2012, 11:14 PM   #1
lorsban
"TRF" Member

The Yacht-Master: A Quick Review

Hey guys,

After years and years dreaming about this watch, going through many many acquisitions and later, sales, I was finally able to get a good deal on a Yacht-Master. The Yacht-Master has been around since the early 90's, mine is an A-serial version, but for some reason, there's not much online about them. All I know is, it's meant to be a dressier sports watch, based on the Submariner platform. That said, I'm hoping to add another log into the fire with a short review.

Rolex did a really good job mixing brushed, polished and that frosted dial together into one cohesive package. Overall, the watch looks incredibly balanced, mainly due to the all-silver theme. It's dressy, yet subdued. You can wear this with anything. It's monochrome, yet not in the least plain looking.

The dial and bezel are platinum. Most other companies would've opted to go full polish, but Rolex thankfully held back, instead highlighting just the coin-edge and markers. Bezel rotates both ways as well. The dial has that nice glitter effect, with polished hands and white lume applied on top. Minute hand is larger, seconds hand is a nice red color - that small splash of color, along with the red marked "Yacht-Master" lettering, are what hints at the sporty background of the watch. Date magnifier not only makes reading the date easier, it also helps by adding texture to te flat sapphire surface.

The YM that I have uses the basic flip-lock system. Many swap it out for a Daytona clasp and I understand that newer versions use a different one. Still, this does the job sufficiently, in my opinion so, no need to change anything.

Here's the watch profile. It's nice and slim. Also note the nice rounded corners of the watch case. Gives it that "melted" look.

Here are a couple of wristshots. Flat profile, with rounded corners makes this a dream to wear. Very very comfortable. There's not a single bad angle with this watch.

Many say this watch breaks tradition. Some don't like that it's monochrome. Some say it looks downright ugly. It's a Rolex, but it's different. Some would say that's what they don't like about it. Honestly, I like that it's not so readily identifiable as a Rolex. I also like that its monochrome, I like that there's nothing there to distract me from the overall beauty of the lines, the mix of materials and textures, everything that makes this watch great.

I acquired this from a 2nd hand store in Hong-Kong. I tried on a white dialed Royal Oak 15300 as well. The Oak has also been a grail of mine, but I never thought I would ever be able to get one, so I set my sights on the Yacht-Master. That day though, I had the opportunity to try one. However, it didn't work for me. It looked too serious. Not saying its no good, its just that maybe when I get older, it will suit me better. I'm sure many will call me crazy for choosing this over the AP, but hey, the heart wants what it wants. The YM is exactly what I want in a watch. It's an all-around watch that's suitable for any occasion. It can be sporty, it can be dressed up or down.

I also traded-in two watches for this. And I'm glad to have done it. I've changed my goal with watches. Instead of going for a collection of watches that suit specific needs, I'm now moving towards one watch that does it all and the Yacht-Master is the closest thing to that goal. Of course, time will tell if this is indeed the only one I will ever need. Who knows? But for now, this watch is going to get used A LOT.

Thanks for reading!

lorsban

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Old 29 June 2012, 09:18 AM   #2
jlee5050
"TRF" Member

Watch: the throne.
Nice mini-review. Totally agree about the wear. Super comfortable. Love the curved lugs. Love mine as well.

And I think the red hints on the watch (hand and script on dial) balances the monochrome look. That's what makes it a Yachtmaster.
jlee5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee5050 View Post
Nice mini-review. Totally agree about the wear. Super comfortable. Love the curved lugs. Love mine as well.

And I think the red hints on the watch (hand and script on dial) balances the monochrome look. That's what makes it a Yachtmaster.
Yes, the curves help this watch blend in. They follow the curves of my wrist perfectly. Honestly, the only thing keeping me from wearing this 24/7 is the fact that I'm scared of scratching the bezel. I understand that it's costly to polish platinum. If it was steel, I'd never take it off.

Old 30 June 2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Predo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060M
Nice review...may be my next acquisition

Predo
Predo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2012, 09:51 PM   #5
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predo View Post
Nice review...may be my next acquisition

Predo
Thanks Predo!

Old 30 June 2012, 09:58 PM   #6
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Here are some more pictures.

I like the old style boxes with the leather-like covering and gold accents. Much preferred over the new plastic one's they use these days.

Another wrist shot wouldn't hurt.

Wore it out last night. Got the most compliments for it among all the watches I've ever worn. They commented on the clean design and especially how the dial catches the light.

Old 2 July 2012, 01:33 AM   #7
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Great watch and nice review!
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2012, 11:52 PM   #8
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-dweller View Post
Great watch and nice review!
Thanks sea-dweller!

Old 3 July 2012, 04:52 AM   #9
Mrpedigree
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Lovely watch ,hope you enjoy it to the max mate
Mrpedigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2012, 10:40 AM   #10
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpedigree View Post
Lovely watch ,hope you enjoy it to the max mate
Definitely! I seriously don't even take my other watches out anymore.

Old 3 July 2012, 12:39 PM   #11
edwardk

Watch: TT Sub Slate Serti
It's a beauty. Seriously considered a YM, makes me want one. Enjoy.
edwardk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2012, 04:49 PM   #12
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardk View Post
It's a beauty. Seriously considered a YM, makes me want one. Enjoy.
Thanks edwardk!

This and the Daytona are the only all silver models you can get from their Professional line. Never been fond of chrono, or no-date watches myself.

Old 3 July 2012, 07:12 PM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

nice review! glad you are happy. congrats. i'm especially fond of the earlier YMs, which have more of sparkle on the dial like yours. very nice.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2012, 11:18 PM   #14
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
nice review! glad you are happy. congrats. i'm especially fond of the earlier YMs, which have more of sparkle on the dial like yours. very nice.
Oh, didn't know they altered the dial. I thought all YMs were basically the same except for the clasp on the new ones.

Old 4 July 2012, 10:33 PM   #15
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Got out the Canon. Nice watch needs a good camera.

Old 5 July 2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Great review Lorsban, thanks

I am looking forward to seeing the new YM with the blue dial. I wonder if it will still be produced as a mid-size and ladies' size?
Old 5 July 2012, 10:01 PM   #17
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post

I am looking forward to seeing the new YM with the blue dial. I wonder if it will still be produced as a mid-size and ladies' size?
Thanks Psmith!

I like the blue YM as well. It's sort of a more casual look for the YM, much like how the blue Sub is compared to the black one.

Not sure if they're releasing that particular model in other sizes, but they probably will since they release mid/small sized YM's in a variety of guises. I recall seeing a TT YM with a blue dial in medium size as well.
Old 6 July 2012, 11:34 PM   #18
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
Thanks Psmith!

I like the blue YM as well. It's sort of a more casual look for the YM, much like how the blue Sub is compared to the black one.

Not sure if they're releasing that particular model in other sizes, but they probably will since they release mid/small sized YM's in a variety of guises. I recall seeing a TT YM with a blue dial in medium size as well.

Hopefully I will find out about the mid/small sizes soon, when the 'Rolex Road Show' (Basel 2012 models) comes to town. I hope they at least continue with the mid size
Old 7 July 2012, 01:45 AM   #19
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hopefully I will find out about the mid/small sizes soon, when the 'Rolex Road Show' (Basel 2012 models) comes to town. I hope they at least continue with the mid size
I'm pretty much sure they will. The YM is basically the only Pro model they have that comes in small-mid sizes and they have a pretty big following in those sizes. It's just a matter of time really.

My wife loves the small version. ;)

Old 8 July 2012, 06:42 AM   #20
Pukka Sahib
"TRF" Member

New to forum, wonderful post. Yachtmaster is next up on my wish list, I have been inspired. Thanks again.
Pukka Sahib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2012, 11:01 AM   #21
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Sahib View Post
New to forum, wonderful post. Yachtmaster is next up on my wish list, I have been inspired. Thanks again.
Thanks as well! Glad to have piqued your interest in what I feel is a very underrated watch from Rolex.

Old 8 July 2012, 02:35 PM   #22
kerytch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

i believe rolex will produce the midsize and ladies' size as well, but probably in the upcoming basel shows. since a new midsize and a ladies' size would require a new reference number, and every new reference model is shown in basel. probably in the upcoming years.
kerytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 04:41 AM   #23
JJL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680 Red & 16622
Great review and I couldn't agree more with you. I spent a lot of time deciding which Rolex to buy for my first (and still only) one. I really wanted something I could wear on all occassions, with any color or type of clothing. It's dressy enough for suit or business meeting, and sporty enough for some jeans and a hoodie on the weekend, or just chillin at the beach.

It's such a overlooked, under appreciated model IMO. It doesn't get the recognition the other iconic models like the Sub, GMT, Daytona, DJ, etc... but for me it fits "me" better than all of those others. After owning this for almost 2 years, I can still honestly say that I'd rather wear this than any other SS Rolex model.

Although it partially bothers me that it isn't as widely adored by Rolex enthusiasts, it equally satisfies me in that I like something that the norm won't be wearing. And what is ironic, of the 10+ friends I have that own different Rolexes, they all drool over my Yacht-Master when they see it in person. It's truly amazing in person, especially dancing in the sunlight. Cameras just don't give it any justice. Enjoy!
JJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 09:42 AM   #24
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Hi JJL,

You hit the bullseye! That's exactly how I feel especially when it comes to the sport or professional models. The YM is so under-valued and under-appreciated. It's a true all-occasion watch. I even wear it when I'm at home. Seriously haven't worn anything else since I got this.

I have a friend who basically says that the YM is the "king" over the sub, gmt, explorer. He used to have a GMTIIC but sold it. Now, he's thinking about trading in one of his Panerai's for a YM, after he saw mine. haha! He's too much of a Panerai-guy, so I don't think this will push thru.

I'm actually planning on selling/trading my other watches for something that would be a good backup for the YM but I haven't figured it out yet.

regards,

lorsban
Old 18 July 2012, 03:06 PM   #25
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Beautiful watch Lorsban. My work colleague has one and when I saw it - it immediately caught my eye. Especially the monochrome colour scheme and the touch of bling from the platinum bezel and the red second hand makes it all come together.

Enjoy in good health.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2012, 03:19 PM   #26
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarky_hk View Post
Beautiful watch Lorsban. My work colleague has one and when I saw it - it immediately caught my eye. Especially the monochrome colour scheme and the touch of bling from the platinum bezel and the red second hand makes it all come together.

Enjoy in good health.
Thanks malarky_hk!

Incidentally, I got this in HK. haha! Wish I saw that 2nd hand shop sooner.

I totally agree with you. I love the monochrome. Nothing really "jumps out" at you. It's more integrated. And because of that, a lot of people don't mind it and those that do know watches see what makes it special, they see those little elements that accentuate the watch, such as the gilt dial when it catches light, the red seconds hand, polished bezel markers.

Most non-WIS actually pass it off as a Tag-Heuer. Something like this:

Of course to those who know watches, they can see the glaring differences but to most other people, they'll either see something like a Tag - my sister said as much when I showed her a pic of the YM a few years back. But not rolex, which to them is either of these two:

Old 25 July 2012, 11:27 AM   #27
*RCH*

Watch: Yacht Master
Thanks for the interesting review and comments. I'm going with the TT version real soon.
*RCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2012, 11:35 AM   #28
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Nice review and pics
Congrats!
Old 25 July 2012, 06:24 PM   #29
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *RCH* View Post
Thanks for the interesting review and comments. I'm going with the TT version real soon.
Yeah, the TT is nice. Definitely posh looking.
Old 25 July 2012, 06:24 PM   #30
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjclark32 View Post
Nice review and pics
Congrats!
Thanks mjclark32!