The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 October 2018, 06:09 AM   #1
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Icon13 Are pre-owned watch sales so good that....

Are pre owned watch sales so good that dealers/salespeople don’t feel the need to reply to messages for days?

I am looking at buying a couple of watches and have contacted several dealers with watches I’m interested in. Some messages are texts and some are email messages. Some are members on this forum and some aren’t. I will say that 80% or more have taken at least 24 hours to reply. To me that’s crazy. I worked in sales for a long time and the old saying “strike while the iron is hot” was always a good rule of thumb. I’m stunned when I text someone and don’t hear from them for 2 days. I mean is business really that good? It’s pretty bad I have started a list of people whom I won’t buy from in the future due to slow replies to inquiries. To me if the original sale takes that long, I would hate to see when you need help with a warranty repair etc.

Anyone had similar experiences?
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 07:07 AM   #2
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Sure seems like it.
Old 20 October 2018, 07:27 AM   #3
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
I run into this all of the time in other professions. It baffles me. Best not to get too worked up over it and look at the big picture. Give them a second chance.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Star Ferry
Banned

during the next slowdown they'll wish they hadn't alienated people during boom times. classic short term thinking, and IMO pretty standard

an analogy might be a beautiful woman who treats men harshly in her 20's and is suddenly 30 and single
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 07:44 AM   #5
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Full time sellers and traders will answer quickly. But somebody who's not in the business might not get a chance to check his PMs or email every hour. He could be on the road for his job, busy with his family, vacationing, or any number of things.

If you're buying a used watch, buy the seller.
Old 20 October 2018, 07:52 AM   #6
Travelair007
"TRF" Member

I had a similar experience recently. Between every reply, the lag was 24-48hrs. Waiting for his banking information was +72hrs. I lost patience and went elsewhere. New deal was done in 1 day. Original seller got upset that I didn’t “close the deal”. I think that’s extremely unprofessional for the size of funds being exchanged.
Travelair007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 07:57 AM   #7
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
They are, but that is no excuse for bad customer service. The watch dealers I do business with contact me within a few hours. Usually, it’s within one hour. I’ve texted David at 9:30 pm before. Unfortunately, I fall asleep so fast once my head hits the pillow, I didn’t see his reply until morning.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 08:03 AM   #8
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Sure seems like it.

It does doesn’t it
Old 20 October 2018, 08:04 AM   #9
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
I run into this all of the time in other professions. It baffles me. Best not to get too worked up over it and look at the big picture. Give them a second chance.
In sales time is everything. I just don’t get it
Old 20 October 2018, 08:04 AM   #10
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
during the next slowdown they'll wish they hadn't alienated people during boom times. classic short term thinking, and IMO pretty standard

an analogy might be a beautiful woman who treats men harshly in her 20's and is suddenly 30 and single

Haha love the analogy. Very true
Old 20 October 2018, 08:05 AM   #11
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
Full time sellers and traders will answer quickly. But somebody who's not in the business might not get a chance to check his PMs or email every hour. He could be on the road for his job, busy with his family, vacationing, or any number of things.

If you're buying a used watch, buy the seller.
Oh I buy the seller for sure. Sad thing is 1 of the sellers I’m talking about works at a watch store
Old 20 October 2018, 08:07 AM   #12
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelair007 View Post
I had a similar experience recently. Between every reply, the lag was 24-48hrs. Waiting for his banking information was +72hrs. I lost patience and went elsewhere. New deal was done in 1 day. Original seller got upset that I didn’t “close the deal”. I think that’s extremely unprofessional for the size of funds being exchanged.
Yea I would have walked away too. It simply stuns me that people take that long. I got in touch with one dealer who does a ton of business and he replied both times within 2-3 hours. That’s service and why he has a great reputation
Old 20 October 2018, 08:08 AM   #13
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
They are, but that is no excuse for bad customer service. The watch dealers I do business with contact me within a few hours. Usually, it’s within one hour. I’ve texted David at 9:30 pm before. Unfortunately, I fall asleep so fast once my head hits the pillow, I didn’t see his reply until morning.
Yea good quick service is what it’s all about
Old 20 October 2018, 08:12 AM   #14
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
The other edge of this sword is that, depending on timing, what you're looking at is probably gone.

I had a hell of a time looking for a 5-digit Pepsi, and they don't come up that often. If I didn't see one posted up until half a day later, somebody most likely already reached a deal with the seller.

Having a current supply ATM is a good problem to have. No idea how an AD functions with so many people in line and no product to sell. Sad, and frustrating, on both ends.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 08:12 AM   #15
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
I am so busy quoting at work, if you're not a major customer of mine, you will be lucky to hear back from me the same day.

It will be usually the next.

Sometimes people are just very busy and need to prioritize. It is as simple as that.

Now, If I don't get back to you within a day, that is not good.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 08:22 AM   #16
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin G View Post
I am so busy quoting at work, if you're not a major customer of mine, you will be lucky to hear back from me the same day.

It will be usually the next.

Sometimes people are just very busy and need to prioritize. It is as simple as that.

Now, If I don't get back to you within a day, that is not good.
I think if someone is in the business they should get back to a customer same day. That’s how I did my business. Even if I stayed at the office a bit longer or called on my way home just to let them know I would be in touch. I think it’s especially important to the people who make a living selling watches. If it’s a hobby, then I can almost understand life being in the way, but if it’s your income you gotta prioritize.
Old 20 October 2018, 08:23 AM   #17
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by herts9 View Post
The other edge of this sword is that, depending on timing, what you're looking at is probably gone.

I had a hell of a time looking for a 5-digit Pepsi, and they don't come up that often. If I didn't see one posted up until half a day later, somebody most likely already reached a deal with the seller.

Having a current supply ATM is a good problem to have. No idea how an AD functions with so many people in line and no product to sell. Sad, and frustrating, on both ends.
I’m sure some have sold but the good dealers have replied and said it’s sold but will see if they can find another etc. Not replying at all just says bad business to me
Old 20 October 2018, 08:35 AM   #18
R!$
Banned

only if you're sending ridiculous offers
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 08:57 AM   #19
herts9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
I’m sure some have sold but the good dealers have replied and said it’s sold but will see if they can find another etc. Not replying at all just says bad business to me
If they're getting a handful of requests, I totally agree.

Anything over 20 or 30 PMs and it's just not feasible. Not ideal, but just a harsh reality in today's frenzied climate.
herts9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 09:29 AM   #20
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Are pre-owned watch sales so good that....

I’ve used David SW 2 times. A little more expensive then other grey dealers but have not been disappointed once. Talked to him Thursday. Worked out a trade plus cash for a watch he has in stock for my wife. Sent me a label and I sent the watch overnight that same day. He revived the watch and funds today. Sized the watch and I should receive it tomorrow no latter then 12. That’s top customer service if you ask me. Sometimes you have to pick up a phone and talk. Text and emails can be overlooked. Maybe I’m old school. I always want to talk to the person. Make sure they are real and not a scam. With the recent scams on here I will only deal with a AD or DavidSW regardless of price or discount. I would rather pay a few hundred more then risk losing my 10k plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 10:54 AM   #21
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
Baffling for certain. Great adjective for this. I too see it all the time.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 10:56 AM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
I’ve used David SW 2 times. A little more expensive then other grey dealers but have not been disappointed once. Talked to him Thursday. Worked out a trade plus cash for a watch he has in stock for my wife. Sent me a label and I sent the watch overnight that same day. He revived the watch and funds today. Sized the watch and I should receive it tomorrow no latter then 12. That’s top customer service if you ask me. Sometimes you have to pick up a phone and talk. Text and emails can be overlooked. Maybe I’m old school. I always want to talk to the person. Make sure they are real and not a scam. With the recent scams on here I will only deal with a AD or DavidSW regardless of price or discount. I would rather pay a few hundred more then risk losing my 10k plus.

His customer service is nothing short of remarkable. It’s what sets him apart from the vast majority.

I shared two texts with him recently. Sold him a watch. Label received, watch shipped, money deposited. It is truly impressive in a world of dying customer service.

Remarkable.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 11:22 AM   #23
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
His customer service is nothing short of remarkable. It’s what sets him apart from the vast majority.

I shared two texts with him recently. Sold him a watch. Label received, watch shipped, money deposited. It is truly impressive in a world of dying customer service.

Remarkable.

Yeah he is good. And he is fair. You get what you pay for. So if you want a hot model watch right now your going to pay a premium from a grey if you go that route. I’d rather go with him as he does everything top notch.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 11:32 AM   #24
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

I get this a lot too. I understand people are busy. But, at least reach out and say, "I won't be able to get back to you until "X" day/time/etc." Just last week I was inquiring about a 16610. They told me they would text me info and pics in an hour. Well, more than a day went by. I then asked for pics again through the initial contact method...Facebook messenger. By the time I got another response a couple days later it read...

"Sold the p(serial) today sorry
Less than two hours ago"

With a photo attached showing the receipt he wrote up for it.

Who does this???
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 02:16 PM   #25
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Remarkable.
Keep in mind he has 5 employees per Elliot’s interview. Still he was clearly the first to make customer service a top priority here and he exercised that sort of behavior back when he was a one man shop...

Which is why he has a multi million dollar business today. Hats off.
Old 20 October 2018, 04:07 PM   #26
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
only if you're sending ridiculous offers
Most of the time it’s an inquiry about the watch, not an offer
Old 20 October 2018, 04:09 PM   #27
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post

Yea, he would be excluded fm the bad dealers list. I haven’t bought from him but I inquired about a watch that was sold and he replied right away
Old 20 October 2018, 04:10 PM   #28
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:

Remarkable.
Yup, agree 100%.

I've written emails to David at 1 AM PST and he'll respond by 6 AM PST.

Even on a Saturday or Sunday. Every transaction is flawless and pretty much COMPLETELY done within 2-business-days tops.

Well beyond expectation.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 04:11 PM   #29
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
I get this a lot too. I understand people are busy. But, at least reach out and say, "I won't be able to get back to you until "X" day/time/etc." Just last week I was inquiring about a 16610. They told me they would text me info and pics in an hour. Well, more than a day went by. I then asked for pics again through the initial contact method...Facebook messenger. By the time I got another response a couple days later it read...

"Sold the p(serial) today sorry
Less than two hours ago"

With a photo attached showing the receipt he wrote up for it.

Who does this???
Yea that’s bad business at its finest
Old 20 October 2018, 04:11 PM   #30
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Keep in mind he has 5 employees per Elliot’s interview. Still he was clearly the first to make customer service a top priority here and he exercised that sort of behavior back when he was a one man shop...

Which is why he has a multi million dollar business today. Hats off.

He built a foundation for success, great customer service