The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 July 2011, 04:10 AM   #31
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
Hi, thought this is an interesting question to ask, would you ever consider retiring from your vintage collecting hobby, much like retiring from a job, etc.:). I know people have many reasons for retiring, the most common being age and health, also would you consider retiring from this hobby well before the age/health angle strikes and why? All opinions welcome!!

As for me a bit too early to say since I have just stepped in but I would like to say till I kick the bucket:)
Yes I would. Personal tastes and interests change.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2011, 04:29 AM   #32
Roley
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I have sold all of my 20pc vintage watch collection. I now have only two new Rolex models, which I plan to flip for the most current, every five years. I still have a passion for old clocks, some of which I don't think I will part with until I croak lol.
Roley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2011, 06:14 PM   #33
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grissom View Post
I kind of retired years ago.....from buying with an eye to sell, that is! I bought and sold 1,000s of high end watches during the 70s, and 80s.....finally selling most everything in my "inventory" in the 90's when prices went up (to me, at least) astronomically (I now realize I should have held on to everything, looking at pricing today - hindsight is 20/20!!). Sold pretty much everything to the emerging guys from NY, Texas and Florida, at an NAWCC show, where they showed up with boatloads of cash. I sold each watch for many times what I had paid for them, and for many times what "I" felt was the previous "retail" pricing, when I had been actively selling. I kept what I liked, for me, and decided I was now "out of the business of buying and selling", as I simply did not feel comfortable buying and selling in that 4-5 figure+ environment. As has been said, I traveled a lot, and also had excellent relationships with pawn shops, coin dealers, metal dealers and road buyers.....I bought pretty much everything they offered to me, at prices such that I could flip to a dealer and make a profit, which I did on some, however, on most, I simply retailed them, through our family fine jewelry stores, and antique shows. I had great fun, and made great money, on the side, but when prices spiked tremendously, I did just that...."retire" from the buying and selling, and even collecting, and focused my efforts elsewhere.

Recently, I had the itch to buy a few watches, and thus jumped back in, joined TRF to get back into the swing of things, get up to speed, and then began buying, strictly for myself, but, as I had in the past, making every effort to buy such that should I want or need to sell, I would have a built in exit strategy.

So, I guess I eventually came "out of retirement" a few years ago....and now defer to those who have taken my place.....lots of work, for often a very short margin. I am liking just being a collector, to tell you the truth!!

Very thoughtful question/thread, Cruvon......thanks!
Cheers Grissom, loved getting an insight into your world, thanks for sharing!!

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote