The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 19 August 2023, 06:51 AM   #1
Will_NL
"TRF" Member

Did people here ever give up on their AD?

I'm not a frequent poster, but enjoying every post here.

I have been a watch collector for years, build up a reasonable collection if I say so myself and have build up a good relationship with my AD....... I thought...

So my usual sales rep left, but all the other staff have known me for years so i'm no stranger. Despite having a good relationship and spending a good amount of money (last year 150K), I do not get any allocations.
Asked for the populair models more than six year ago, asked for a 5935A a year ago...... nothing

Have waited on Patek pieces, Vacheron pieces and <insert brand here>, nothing except for whats for sale in the display..... The last Patek I did buy for myself was 1,5 years ago

At what point do I say, F it ???
Will_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 06:58 AM   #2
shammad10
"TRF" Member

If I’d spent £150k in a year at an AD and I hadn’t had an allocation I wanted, I would be telling them I wasn’t going to spend another penny there. Go somewhere that values your custom.
shammad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 07:14 AM   #3
dauster
"TRF" Member

I’d talk to the manager owner and talk about my watch goals - if that doesn’t help then I’d switch ADs

It’s tough out there for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 07:22 AM   #4
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

I'm in a similar boat, spent about the same amount last year and I can't even get a Datejust 36 for my wife lol. I don't blame them though, they're running a business and I just can't be bothered to play games or constantly visit them and keep in touch. I just want to buy what I want and don't mind waiting for it. I've personally had better luck going grey and supporting independent boutiques.

With all the price increases these past few years though, it's beginning to turn me off watches a bit and I'm starting to feel like maybe I'm not their target customer (or I just can't afford to be). I've got a Lange coming later this year but after that I'll probably be done for a while. I've got most of what I want so will just enjoy the watches I already have.

The only other watches I really want at the moment are a Pepsi and RO, but I can buy those anytime from a grey dealer if I'm desperate enough.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 07:36 AM   #5
kh428
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP|VC|Jaeger|Rolex
Im surprised you are able to spend what you spent without getting any allocation.
There isn't anything on display anymore
kh428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 07:42 AM   #6
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

I spent similar amount here in Dubai last year only and I have no hopes of getting any sports model patek ever !
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 08:07 AM   #7
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
Yes….just got told no too many times after spending and referring a ton of people not to mention my own spend.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 09:17 AM   #8
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It is a tough market to get anything at the moment. I do not think ADs are getting much supply.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 10:12 AM   #9
watchboynyc
"TRF" Member

As others have stated you should have a candid conversation with the store manager or your new SA.

If I had spent 150k at that AD, i would be expecting at least 1 aquanaut and 1 nautilus within 1 years time. Especially if that 150k included not so popular models or ladies watches.
watchboynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 02:05 PM   #10
Qimchi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Everything
It pretty much the same situation everywhere. You are best to find another AD but I think the outcome will be quite the same..

In the AD world, there is a big differences between buying Pateks/rolexes that lose money vs buying other hard to sell brands that loses money. You get much much much faster and desirable allocation if you go the latter route. So I guessing your spending of $150k were on the more popular brands.

The practise for AD is to get you to buy the less sought after pieces and then delay your allocation. Even when they did give you an allocation, it will not be the pieces you wanted initially. You end up taking it due to long enough wait.

The truth is AD is keeping the more sought after allocation for their grey dealer/s or to those whom bundles the truly lousy pieces.

But I could be wrong..
Qimchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 03:17 PM   #11
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

I don’t think spending history is everything. I bought 7 Rolexes and 1 Tudor (only models I wanted) at my AD and we talked about when I was Patek Ready as we called it. Haha. But we really get along and he promised me an Aquanaut this Winter and i asked in May. It will be my first Patek. I think sometimes you just click with other people not all about money all the time.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2023, 10:46 PM   #12
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
You say the SA’s know you, but do you have a new SA as your designated first point of contact? My understanding is that the allocation first goes to an SA - and it’s competitive among the SA’s - and then that SA makes the call on which of their clients they make the allocation to. If your SA is gone, and no one else is your SA, despite folks knowing you I would not expect you to be on anyone’s allocation list.

I’d go in and talk to an SA or the manager about who is your SA and the person to work with - and I’d be (or at least act) friendly/cool, not indignant and frustrated, despite this no doubt being a frustrating experience. I’m hope to see an “incoming” post from you before long.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 12:12 AM   #13
hulkmonkey
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV, YG DD, cDayton
the question is

Do you want the watch or do you want the best price and hottest watch?

You can clearly afford gray market.

Buy it and move on.

hulkmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 01:59 AM   #14
Coolcamden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkmonkey View Post
the question is

Do you want the watch or do you want the best price and hottest watch?

You can clearly afford gray market.

Buy it and move on.

This!

I don’t understand the wait. If you got the means, buy now and enjoy. Getting cancer a few years ago totally and absolutely changed my perspective. I got promised a 5326, but I ain’t waiting.
Coolcamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 05:36 AM   #15
Divingdeep87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcamden View Post
This!

I don’t understand the wait. If you got the means, buy now and enjoy. Getting cancer a few years ago totally and absolutely changed my perspective. I got promised a 5326, but I ain’t waiting.
Same. Sounds weird, but everybody should “get” it. I don’t wait on anything and don’t hold back on anything after I had cancer.Just one speed - GO! - Lucky I have a good AD so I don’t have to spend grey money.
Divingdeep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 06:06 AM   #16
chimp98
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ Octa Lune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcamden View Post
This!

I couldn't agree more with both comments. The 'journey' that you're supposed to take with your AD is capitalism at its best. I was sold on the idea and had good standing with my AD for years. Let's just say I started the relationship before getting married and now we have two kids in grade school.

Got a few Rolex pieces, nothing substantial like a Daytona or anything but I also spent a good deal on jewelry and entry-level references.

All of this while waiting patiently for my PP/VC wish-list pieces. Then the news came that they lost their PP relationship despite having the longest tenure with PP. Frustratingly, not even a reason was provided to customers. All I have to say is I commiserate with how that one guy who sued his AD. The financial aspects aside, now I have to start back at square one after years of building the 'relationship' with PP.

Life's short and if you can afford it, there's nothing wrong with going on your own watch 'journey'.

Needless to say, this has nothing against those who have fruitful relationships with your AD.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 20 August 2023, 07:24 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you want a Nautilus fresh out with no prior spend, it makes sense to just buy one at the market and move on. Building up a "relationship" with some store that loses the brand before you get the watch you want is really hard to fathom.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 08:28 AM   #18
Will_NL
"TRF" Member

So to answer a couple of questions:

My primary SA was the store manager herself, she got me an 5212 two years ago and that was it, the rest was right of the shelf gathering dust (WG WT)
I know for a fact that the AD is getting allocations because of the signals I have been getting from friends/social media/other SA's and the store window is filling up with non-desirable pieces again (standard annual calendars)

The sad thing about it is that i'm losing interest in the whole hobby altogether. I'm not willing to buy brands that don't resonate with me like Tag Heuer, Ball, Baltic et cetra.

Ah well, good to know that I'm nit the only one and on the positive side, gives me an opportunity to start looking a thet new Harley :)
Old 20 August 2023, 10:32 AM   #19
Coolcamden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_NL View Post
So to answer a couple of questions:

My primary SA was the store manager herself, she got me an 5212 two years ago and that was it, the rest was right of the shelf gathering dust (WG WT)
I know for a fact that the AD is getting allocations because of the signals I have been getting from friends/social media/other SA's and the store window is filling up with non-desirable pieces again (standard annual calendars)

The sad thing about it is that i'm losing interest in the whole hobby altogether. I'm not willing to buy brands that don't resonate with me like Tag Heuer, Ball, Baltic et cetra.

Ah well, good to know that I'm nit the only one and on the positive side, gives me an opportunity to start looking a thet new Harley :)
Where is this AD that’s actually have AC filling up store windows? If you do think that they have “non desirable pieces, like an AC… tell me, I will fly there tomorrow to buy it/them.
Coolcamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 12:19 PM   #20
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchboynyc View Post
If I had spent 150k at that AD, i would be expecting at least 1 aquanaut and 1 nautilus within 1 years time. Especially if that 150k included not so popular models or ladies watches.
I think that you will only experience deception if you believe that in 2023 spending USD 150k gives you access to one Aquanaut and one Nautilus.

Depending on the market you are in, if your expectation is only based on how much you spent, USD 150k won’t get you anywhere close to a Nautilus or an Aquanaut.
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 12:19 PM   #21
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Guilty.

X2.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 02:16 PM   #22
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I don’t buy lottery tickets, raffle tickets, hopes, or wishes. If I want a house or a car or a watch, I find what’s available, and buy what I want.

I’ve saved money with grays, and I’ve had to pay market price with grays. I’m not waiting 3, 5, 7 or more years for the “chance” to buy a watch.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2023, 04:42 PM   #23
Will_NL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byow View Post
I think that you will only experience deception if you believe that in 2023 spending USD 150k gives you access to one Aquanaut and one Nautilus.

Depending on the market you are in, if your expectation is only based on how much you spent, USD 150k won’t get you anywhere close to a Nautilus or an Aquanaut.

White dial AC in Rotterdam the Netherlands on display (and for sale) for a month now. Retrograde PC, a lot of women's watches and a openworked full gold Patek

Mate of mine declined a 5905 blue dial and a Green dial
Old 20 August 2023, 07:32 PM   #24
byow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_NL View Post
White dial AC in Rotterdam the Netherlands on display (and for sale) for a month now. Retrograde PC, a lot of women's watches and a openworked full gold Patek

Mate of mine declined a 5905 blue dial and a Green dial
I do not think you are replying to my comment.

(5396G is a beautiful watch.)
byow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 12:46 AM   #25
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimp98 View Post
I couldn't agree more with both comments. The 'journey' that you're supposed to take with your AD is capitalism at its best. I was sold on the idea and had good standing with my AD for years. Let's just say I started the relationship before getting married and now we have two kids in grade school.

Got a few Rolex pieces, nothing substantial like a Daytona or anything but I also spent a good deal on jewelry and entry-level references.

All of this while waiting patiently for my PP/VC wish-list pieces. Then the news came that they lost their PP relationship despite having the longest tenure with PP. Frustratingly, not even a reason was provided to customers. All I have to say is I commiserate with how that one guy who sued his AD. The financial aspects aside, now I have to start back at square one after years of building the 'relationship' with PP.

Life's short and if you can afford it, there's nothing wrong with going on your own watch 'journey'.

Needless to say, this has nothing against those who have fruitful relationships with your AD.

Shreve? I feel for you if that’s the case. Even their VC and ALS lines look shaky.
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 01:28 AM   #26
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
Shreve? I feel for you if that’s the case. Even their VC and ALS lines look shaky.
They don’t have ALS anymore.

VC is sketchy at best I agree. I asked to get a black dual time Overseas and nada. Thinking there isn’t much pull there.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 01:37 AM   #27
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by codecow View Post
They don’t have ALS anymore.

VC is sketchy at best I agree. I asked to get a black dual time Overseas and nada. Thinking there isn’t much pull there.

I am not aware that they even lost ALS. The last time I was there, I inquired about the Little Lange One moonphase but it was probably 2021.

I always have excellent experience with their service department but not with the sales team.

With ALS gone, I guess Rolex is the only major brand left? Wonder how the new Rolex boutique on Post would affect the Rolex dealership at Shreve then.
llngoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 03:55 AM   #28
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by llngoc View Post
I am not aware that they even lost ALS. The last time I was there, I inquired about the Little Lange One moonphase but it was probably 2021.

I always have excellent experience with their service department but not with the sales team.

With ALS gone, I guess Rolex is the only major brand left? Wonder how the new Rolex boutique on Post would affect the Rolex dealership at Shreve then.
Not sure, but the Westfield shop always had a more impressive Rolex setup IMO.

Nobody has ALS anymore they went boutique only is my understanding. Makes sense with their very limited production.
codecow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2023, 06:10 AM   #29
chimp98
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ Octa Lune
Wasn't even aware that they lost ALS as well.

Even with the history of the relationship I had, my SA couldn't even get me a basic Datejust for my Dad last year. I gave up on the relationship and had gone rogue since with grey purchases.

Old 21 August 2023, 04:12 PM   #30
John Doyle
"TRF" Member

I would never buy grey no matter what.
John Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote