The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2019, 10:31 AM   #1
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Oyster Perpetual owners: how do you deal with hot weather without an Easylink???

SSIA pretty much. About to dip my toes in the Rolex waters with an OP39 but nervous about not having the Easylink (and they seem very hard to get now). I’ve been spoiled by my Seamaster 300, the adjustment feature in the clasp is amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
liebs520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Brew
"TRF" Member

I don't use it on the watches that have it (YM & DJ), so it's not missed on my OP.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:45 AM   #3
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I don't use it on the watches that have it (YM & DJ), so it's not missed on my OP.

Do you wear your watches looser in cold weather then? Or does it not bother you if they’re tighter in the heat?

Old 13 April 2019, 10:59 AM   #4
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebs520 View Post
Do you wear your watches looser in cold weather then? Or does it not bother you if they’re tighter in the heat?

All of my watches are worn year-round without adjustment. I've never noticed any seasonal change to the fit.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 06:02 AM   #5
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
all of my watches are worn year-round without adjustment. I've never noticed any seasonal change to the fit.
+1

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:40 AM   #6
JacksonStone
Banned

I use a Glidelock...on a Sub. I know that means you didn't ask me, but like you, I've been spoiled. I also had the Seamseter 300 - another great clasp. At this point, I would find it very hard to go back to a non-adjustable clasp. Poor fit is a deal breaker for me. (I assume the OP39 still has micro increments hidden in the clasp, but they're not something you can adjust easily, and not without a tool.)
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:42 AM   #7
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I use a Glidelock...on a Sub. I know that means you didn't ask me, but like you, I also had the Seamseter 300 - another great clasp. At this point, I would find it very hard to go back to a non-adjustable clasp. Poor fit is a deal breaker for me. (I assume the OP39 still has micro increments hidden in the clasp, but they're not something you can adjust easily, and not without a tool.)

Right, can’t make those adjustments inside the clasp on the fly. That’s my hesitation.

Old 13 April 2019, 10:51 AM   #8
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Right, can’t make those adjustments inside the clasp on the fly. That’s my hesitation.
Some people don't care about adjustability. I take it you do, since you're asking the question. So let me ask you: is the Seamaster 300 your current daily? Have you ever worn a watch without an adjustable clasp and know you can deal with it? If yes to the first, and no to the second, then you might find the OP39 clasp a real comedown, especially if you're picky about fit. Just something to think about. What's drawing you to the OP39, as opposed to other models with more adjustability?
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:47 AM   #9
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
Some people don't care about adjustability. I take it you do, since you're asking the question. So let me ask you: is the Seamaster 300 your current daily? Have you ever worn a watch without an adjustable clasp and know you can deal with it? If yes to the first, and no to the second, then you might find the OP39 clasp a real comedown, especially if you're picky about fit. Just something to think about. What's drawing you to the OP39, as opposed to other models with more adjustability?

I generally wear the SM on weekends. My weekday watches are leather and NATO but I don’t ever adjust them (guess that’s the same thing?).

The biggest thing for me with the OP39 is the size and fit. 38-39 is definitely my sweet spot and I’m looking for something on the thin side. I’ve tried on a lot of watches recently and the OP39 really just fit like a glove, knew it right when I put it on.

I also love the design of the 2018 dials, so clean. Definitely going for the white.

Old 13 April 2019, 10:43 AM   #10
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I hardly ever use diver's extensions on my watches that have them -- I'd rather the watch be a little tight than all loose However, I bet I'd use a glidelock all the time if I had it.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:46 AM   #11
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
I just deal with it.
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:00 AM   #12
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by watch rob View Post
i just deal with it.
+1
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:23 PM   #13
JePro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613 / 126600
No easy link or glidelock clasp is a deal-breaker for me.
JePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:01 AM   #14
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
I just adjust the bracelet to be just a bit loose in cold weather. Then it’s a bit tighter in hot weather. Never even use the easy link or glide lock on watches with them.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:36 AM   #15
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Rob View Post
I just deal with it.

Touché.

Old 17 September 2019, 08:22 PM   #16
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Rob View Post
I just deal with it.
Like everyone has been doing for the last century. It’s not a big deal.

Old 17 September 2019, 08:50 PM   #17
Verdi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Big Ben
I see people saying "why do you need one?" etc etc
If that is the approach.....we can also ask "why do you need a Rolex?"....... why not buy a cheaper watch if anything would do?!

I personally did not buy the OP because of the lack of easylink. I live in a desert climate and I travel a lot, too. I could, of course, have a watch without such a feature, but once I tried it I know it makes my life a lot easier and I want one.

I think Rolex should add this feature to all models. We buy Rolex for their innovations, robust, long-lasting product.
I get it, OP is a no-thrills model but easylink it is almost a necessity for some of us and if I spend +5k usd on a watch....I want it!
Old 13 April 2019, 10:49 AM   #18
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
It's never been an issue for me. The only watch I occasionally use it on is the Pt Daytona which because of its weight I wear a bit tighter than my other watches. I don't use the glidelock on my SD4K as it seems fine the way it is adjusted.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2019, 09:45 PM   #19
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
It's never been an issue for me. The only watch I occasionally use it on is the Pt Daytona which because of its weight I wear a bit tighter than my other watches. I don't use the glidelock on my SD4K as it seems fine the way it is adjusted.
Not quite the same, but i have to wear my WG daytona tighter due to the weight also. It slips down the wrist.

The easylink is used quite a bit in the summer, thankfully it has it.

The glidelock is even better. I can get my subs pretty precise so i don't have to mess.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:57 AM   #20
txjohn
"TRF" Member

I just got the 34OP and there's three positions in the clasp for fine adjustments. It does require a tool . Being spring time the weather has fluctuated quite lately. It's a little loose in the mornings but I'm not used to a glidelock type clasp. It doesn't bother me but I might someone that's use to the glide.
txjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:51 AM   #21
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

My daily driver for a while was a subc with the glidelock. I really liked that. Then for a long time was a GMT with the easylink - used that only occasionally when it was very hot and humid. Then for a tiny bit I was wearing the Seamaster Diver 300 daily, now my daily is a Tudor BB58 which has no on the fly adjustment.

Honestly I only ever think about it if it’s very cold or very hot and humid. With the glidelock or the Seamaster it’s very incremental so I did use it a lot. I find with the GMT easylink it’s rare that my wrist expands by that much at once so I only end up using it when it’s hot and humid and the watch is sticking to me.

Basically what I’m saying is: the easy link is not really a good comparison to the glidelock or Seamaster adjustment anyway in my experience, so I think it’s more a question of can you live without fine adjustment on the fly or not. I find I rarely think about the BB58 being too tight or loose, it’s a well balanced watch with a comfortable bracelet like the OP39. Just my two cents.

Coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 12:00 PM   #22
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdog View Post
My daily driver for a while was a subc with the glidelock. I really liked that. Then for a long time was a GMT with the easylink - used that only occasionally when it was very hot and humid. Then for a tiny bit I was wearing the Seamaster Diver 300 daily, now my daily is a Tudor BB58 which has no on the fly adjustment.

Honestly I only ever think about it if it’s very cold or very hot and humid. With the glidelock or the Seamaster it’s very incremental so I did use it a lot. I find with the GMT easylink it’s rare that my wrist expands by that much at once so I only end up using it when it’s hot and humid and the watch is sticking to me.

Basically what I’m saying is: the easy link is not really a good comparison to the glidelock or Seamaster adjustment anyway in my experience, so I think it’s more a question of can you live without fine adjustment on the fly or not. I find I rarely think about the BB58 being too tight or loose, it’s a well balanced watch with a comfortable bracelet like the OP39. Just my two cents.

Thanks that’s helpful. So the Easylink is just a 5mm on-or-off situation while the glidelock on a sport model is more akin to the micro adjust on my SM? That certainly makes me value the Easylink less.

Old 19 April 2019, 06:24 AM   #23
coleburns
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This guy here. Spot. On.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
coleburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 12:05 PM   #24
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Yes. The easy link folds out one half link like a dive extension and then folds back in and clicks into place. TBH it is useful if you get really hot or sweaty or if you prefer a tight fit.

It might be blasphemy but I kinda wish Rolex would put a glidelock in all the sports models.

Old 13 April 2019, 12:09 PM   #25
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's grueling, but watch wearers have had to deal with it for 150 years and managed to struggle through.
Old 14 September 2019, 12:31 PM   #26
007_Omega
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
It's grueling, but watch wearers have had to deal with it for 150 years and managed to struggle through.
It's not the same. I can wear my 16710 and the expansion on my wrist doesn't really bother me that much because the hollow center links allow for natural expansion. On the 6 digit bracelets, it feels like my wrist is being choked. My Speedmaster bracelet was a horror to wear in hot weather.

It was a 100 degrees with a lot of humidity out here not too long ago and I was wearing my Milgauss. Normally, the easy-link is just too much of an expansion but my wrist actually expanded 5mm and it fit my wrist.
007_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2019, 04:41 AM   #27
exador
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Metal watch bracelets have been around for 150 years? Did not know that.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 12:10 PM   #28
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes. The easy link folds out one half link like a dive extension and then folds back in and clicks into place. TBH it is useful if you get really hot or sweaty or if you prefer a tight fit.

It might be blasphemy but I kinda wish Rolex would put a glidelock in all the sports models.

Got it. Well I’ll still try to find an Easylink, would be glad to have it at a reasonable price, but I won’t let it dictate the purchase decision.

Old 13 April 2019, 12:11 PM   #29
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Got it. Well I’ll still try to find an Easylink, would be glad to have it at a reasonable price, but I won’t let it dictate the purchase decision.

I don’t understand what you are saying - are you trying to find an easylink to install into an OP?

Old 13 April 2019, 12:13 PM   #30
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don’t understand what you are saying - are you trying to find an easylink to install into an OP?

Yeah exactly. I’ve read a couple old threads, I guess they were easier to source from ADs a couple years ago. And there’s a good video on YouTube of a guy installing it into a OP34 himself.