The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2019, 12:43 PM   #31
Coopdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
That's not blasphemy at all. A lot of people feel the same way (myself included), and the topic comes up now and again on this forum. A number of people say the Glidelock clasp is too long, but they would be OK with a shortened Glidelock. Now Rolex has actually made a shortened Glidelock, which they've put on the Oysterflex straps on the PM YM models. Unfortunately, it's likely Rolex developed it as an inventory workaround - a way of not having to offer or have ADs stock as many sizes of OF straps - rather than offer all Rolex customers the most optimized fit possible of their watches. Pity. I think if the Glidelock were standard on all bracelets with an Oyster clasp, Rolex would really take a leap forward as a brand.

Ironically, the old pin-and-hole system is a decent second choice, since it's effective and relatively easy to work with nothing more than a toothpick. The problem is with truly fixed clasps, or hidden microadjustment (like on the OP) that are hard to work.

After typing my last note I said how hard could it be and I just easily adjusted the micro on my easylink in the new bracelet. It’s actually not bad, but if you slip with the tool I could see some minor clasp damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 12:43 PM   #32
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
I've never had the adjustment and I am crazy heat sensitive. I'm sure I would like it but it's not an issue to this point.
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 12:49 PM   #33
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebs520 View Post
Is it that heavy or thick relative to the rest of the OP39’s bracelet?
All the stainless Oyster links are the same on the standard-sized (20/15) bracelets. It's more the proportion of the clasp to the head that would be an issue. I'll grant that the Glidelock is a bit of a chunk, but it works opposite the Supercase Sub, which is also chunky. I might find it a bit disproportionate opposite the OP, but I'd have to see it to be sure.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 12:51 PM   #34
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
All the stainless Oyster links are the same on the standard-sized (20/15) bracelets. It's more the proportion of the clasp to the head that would be an issue. I'll grant that the Glidelock is a bit of a chunk, but it works opposite the Supercase Sub, which is also chunky. I might find it a bit disproportionate opposite the OP, but I'd have to see it to be sure.

Got it, makes sense.

liebs520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 12:56 PM   #35
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Just add a link and wear it a bit looser.

sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 03:06 PM   #36
EDL7
"TRF" Member

I lived w/o the easylink for months..and it was ok...
But after I installed the easylink on my 34mm OP..and since I work with my hands a lot..and the wrist is always expanding and shrinking..its 100% better..
I'm sure I would luv the glidelock..but I like light non clunky watches..and the easylink is a good simple solution..even if you rarely use it..
Rolex should include on all OP watches..there is no reason in the world not to include it..as it is such a simple fix to a real issue..
EDL7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 03:45 PM   #37
SearChart
TechXpert

My wrists hardly swell or shrink in hot/cold weather so I do not need an easylink.

Now if you really need one you can try and get one through an AD or find one online.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 04:42 PM   #38
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Hot weather? What’s that? As if that’s a thing
Old 13 April 2019, 10:37 PM   #39
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
I lived w/o the easylink for months..and it was ok...

But after I installed the easylink on my 34mm OP..and since I work with my hands a lot..and the wrist is always expanding and shrinking..its 100% better..

I'm sure I would luv the glidelock..but I like light non clunky watches..and the easylink is a good simple solution..even if you rarely use it..

Rolex should include on all OP watches..there is no reason in the world not to include it..as it is such a simple fix to a real issue..

If it wasn’t for your video I wouldn’t be down this rabbit hole!!!

Lol thanks for weighing in. If you ever get a line on another Easylink lmk!

Old 13 April 2019, 10:41 PM   #40
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
Never adjusted my watches between hot and cold climates. They have always been set the same. Although i do understand some people are more sensitive ti heat changes.

Mind the glidelock seems quite good, not tried one on mind. But i would imagine the adjustment could be great for a lot of people.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 03:31 AM   #41
bolle123
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 39
I bought my op 39 wd last year in the summer. On my request an easylink was ordered and installed by my AD. They didn't know that it is possible to order it via rolex/swiss. No problem though. It costs about 60 €.
bolle123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 03:37 AM   #42
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I rarely use my easylink on my GMT, Exp, or Daytona. I almost never adjust my glidelock either. All fit fine with me and a bit tight is better that a bit loose... if it is a deal breaker for you perhaps you can source a easylink clasp???
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 03:38 AM   #43
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
I rarely use my easylink on my GMT, Exp, or Daytona. I almost never adjust my glidelock either. All fit fine with me and a bit tight is better that a bit loose... if it is a deal breaker for you perhaps you can source a easylink clasp???

Yup that’s a good option as well, albeit a bit pricier than just finding the link.

Old 14 April 2019, 04:20 AM   #44
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Hot weather? What’s that? As if that’s a thing
It is the time of the year when your train tracks are all warped.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 04:29 AM   #45
Overwound
"TRF" Member

In the summer I move the micro-adjustment out one position from my fall/winter setting. When the cool weather returns I move in back one spot. It’s a simple and quick adjustment I normally make just twice per year.
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 04:45 AM   #46
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I'd say sell it and get a watch with easylink or glidelock. I use my glidelock clasps frequently and I'm also spoiled. If you need better adjustment but the watch doesn't offer you that, it's an incomplete product and you should not support it with your wallet.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:13 AM   #47
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
I live in Phoenix AZ where it is hot most of the year. I set my watch in the summer and it is good year around.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
r_afficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:55 AM   #48
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
It is the time of the year when your train tracks are all warped.
Touché
Old 14 April 2019, 06:27 AM   #49
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
I had the OP34. Pretty lucky, because they rarely needed seasonal adjustment. If I needed to adjust the length, I just used the three micro adjustments built into the clasp. I think there is about a 2mm gap between the micro adjustments.

The EasyLink, which I had on two of my former Rolex models, was useless to me. 5mm is just too much of an adjustment. It makes the bracelet either too tight or too loose. I could never find a sweet spot, so I just continued to use the three micro adjustments in the clasp.

The EasyLink is really the only criticism I have about Rolex. I have no doubt that they could do a lot better. They don't need to do a full Glidelock clasp on all the watches, but kind of a modified version of two or three adjustments in increments of about 2mm each would be fine. I believe this has been done on the new Yacht Master 40mm Everose gold with Oysterflex.

As an owner of both Rolex and Omega, it is very annoying to me to note the fact that Omega is way further ahead with adjustable clasps than Rolex.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 14 April 2019, 07:16 AM   #50
aussiejoe
"TRF" Member

Don't let the lack of an Easylink dissuade you from getting what to me is the perfect watch. On my less generously proportioned wrist, the OP39 fits like a glove. My AD really helped me out to order an Easylink for my OP39, and since having installed it, I haven't used it at all.

If you are going to purchase new from an AD, make it a condition of sale to order an Easylink. Certainly no harm in trying.

If you are fortunate enough to have another watch with an Easylink, or a friend who if willing to let you borrow theirs, then walk into an AD and ask they order you a new Easylink for said watch. The Easylink IMO is a consumable item and would wear out and need replacing. Rolex HQ don't ask for links back.

Good luck.
aussiejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 07:21 AM   #51
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejoe View Post
Don't let the lack of an Easylink dissuade you from getting what to me is the perfect watch. On my less generously proportioned wrist, the OP39 fits like a glove. My AD really helped me out to order an Easylink for my OP39, and since having installed it, I haven't used it at all.

If you are going to purchase new from an AD, make it a condition of sale to order an Easylink. Certainly no harm in trying.

If you are fortunate enough to have another watch with an Easylink, or a friend who if willing to let you borrow theirs, then walk into an AD and ask they order you a new Easylink for said watch. The Easylink IMO is a consumable item and would wear out and need replacing. Rolex HQ don't ask for links back.

Good luck.

This guy coming in with the STRONG take.

That’s basically where I’m at, this watch is so perfect now with the white dial that I can’t let the link situation ruin it. It’s just such a small thing that would be so easy to fix for me if Rolex wasn’t such a pain about spare parts lol.

Definitely gonna try to lever it with an AD, make it a condition of sale.

Old 14 April 2019, 11:45 AM   #52
EDL7
"TRF" Member

The Easylink..is not...so easy...lol..
Old 19 April 2019, 05:29 AM   #53
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Just tried on a DJ41 with the Easylink, and while it’s obviously not as good as a Glidelock or an Omega micro adjust, I think it would be an extremely useful thing for me. Definitely going to have to lever it with an AD, I’m guessing I can get it done.

Old 19 April 2019, 06:00 AM   #54
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Go Easylink..!! Go...lol..
Really..its one of the best things I like about my 34 OP.
Old 19 April 2019, 06:02 AM   #55
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
all of my watches are worn year-round without adjustment. I've never noticed any seasonal change to the fit.
+1

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 06:08 AM   #56
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDL7 View Post
Go Easylink..!! Go...lol..
Really..its one of the best things I like about my 34 OP.

Lol you’re the source of all this!! Bad influence on my wallet.

Old 19 April 2019, 06:10 AM   #57
EDL7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol you’re the source of all this!! Bad influence on my wallet.
I know...me bad...lol..
Old 19 April 2019, 06:24 AM   #58
coleburns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdog View Post
My daily driver for a while was a subc with the glidelock. I really liked that. Then for a long time was a GMT with the easylink - used that only occasionally when it was very hot and humid. Then for a tiny bit I was wearing the Seamaster Diver 300 daily, now my daily is a Tudor BB58 which has no on the fly adjustment.

Honestly I only ever think about it if it’s very cold or very hot and humid. With the glidelock or the Seamaster it’s very incremental so I did use it a lot. I find with the GMT easylink it’s rare that my wrist expands by that much at once so I only end up using it when it’s hot and humid and the watch is sticking to me.

Basically what I’m saying is: the easy link is not really a good comparison to the glidelock or Seamaster adjustment anyway in my experience, so I think it’s more a question of can you live without fine adjustment on the fly or not. I find I rarely think about the BB58 being too tight or loose, it’s a well balanced watch with a comfortable bracelet like the OP39. Just my two cents.

This guy here. Spot. On.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
coleburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 06:26 AM   #59
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
I don't deal with it.

On any given day an OP is fine.

BUT if I am going on vacation to Florida I would NEVER bring it. Definitely needs a diver with adjustments or a strap.

Going for a long walk followed by a super salty dinner? I swell up like a tick. Need the glidelock.

I'm in the camp that wishes the DJ had a glidelock and would gladly sacrifice a little width/thickness for it.
Old 19 April 2019, 06:27 AM   #60
liebs520
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I don't deal with it.

On any given day an OP is fine.

BUT if I am going on vacation to Florida I would NEVER bring it. Definitely needs a diver with adjustments or a strap.

Going for a long walk followed by a super salty dinner? I swell up like a tick. Need the glidelock.

I'm in the camp that wishes the DJ had a glidelock and would gladly sacrifice a little width/thickness for it.

A sympathizer!