The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 31 March 2023, 09:54 AM   #1
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Icon5 Winder Help Needed >>>

I've searched the forum, but still need help.

I'm looking for a good watch winder (single or 3 holder) that is battery powered, to be used in my safe.

I'm thinking regular batteries instead of lithium because I don't want a fire starting inside the safe. It doesn't need to be pretty, as no one will see it. The safe is a 40 year old tank with no inside ventilation - will this be an issue?

Thoughts?

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 01:49 PM   #2
Carguy87

Watch: JC 126660
I love my wolf winders; I have the stackable series where you can just add a winder every time you get a watch. They aren’t on battery power though, so I’m not sure if they offer this option? Might be worth giving wolf a call.
Carguy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 07:14 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.thomas View Post
I've searched the forum, but still need help.

I'm looking for a good watch winder (single or 3 holder) that is battery powered, to be used in my safe.

I'm thinking regular batteries instead of lithium because I don't want a fire starting inside the safe. It doesn't need to be pretty, as no one will see it. The safe is a 40 year old tank with no inside ventilation - will this be an issue?

Thoughts?

IMHO these watchwinder things a complete waste of money for any non perpetual calendar watch a watch winder is totally unnecessary.If you have a choice of watches and do not wear it every day, it is not real chore to reset it and wind it by hand must take all of 30 seconds. If you don't wear it every day you also reduce wear to the movement components, why waste that benefit by having it wound when it is not required to tell the time on wrist?.If stored for many months just give watch a small wind just to start the movement. Myself have owned and been wearing varies Rolex watches over the past 50 odd years. And never felt the need for one of these winder things, when I have two of the finest winders in the world called wrists.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 10:23 AM   #4
ian.thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
IMHO these watchwinder things a complete waste of money for any non perpetual calendar watch a watch winder is totally unnecessary.If you have a choice of watches and do not wear it every day, it is not real chore to reset it and wind it by hand must take all of 30 seconds. If you don't wear it every day you also reduce wear to the movement components, why waste that benefit by having it wound when it is not required to tell the time on wrist?.If stored for many months just give watch a small wind just to start the movement. Myself have owned and been wearing varies Rolex watches over the past 50 odd years. And never felt the need for one of these winder things, when I have two of the finest winders in the world called wrists.
Agree. Thanks for the advice.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
Old 2 April 2023, 11:12 AM   #5
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Of course someday during that 30 seconds is when the crown will feel gritty and not work correctly. Best to just leave them running for 20 years.

Get an Orbita or wolf.
Old 2 April 2023, 12:51 PM   #6
77T

Winder Help Needed >>>

As for the safe (now that the winder Q is sorted), if it is truly air tight, maybe get some desiccant humidity control going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 05:46 PM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Of course someday during that 30 seconds is when the crown will feel gritty and not work correctly. Best to just leave them running for 20 years.

Get an Orbita or wolf.
So what you are saying if you use the winding crown you could make the crown feel gritty and not work correctly.Then why does the millions of other watches in this world today auto or manual wind Rolex included got wound up almost daily for decades without any problems.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 05:51 PM   #8
winst
"TRF" Member

Wolf for me too.
winst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2023, 06:30 AM   #9
ian.thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
As for the safe (now that the winder Q is sorted), if it is truly air tight, maybe get some desiccant humidity control going.
Yeah, I'm starting to look into that too.

Old 5 April 2023, 05:33 AM   #10
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Winder Help Needed >>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
So what you are saying if you use the winding crown you could make the crown feel gritty and not work correctly.Then why does the millions of other watches in this world today auto or manual wind Rolex included got wound up almost daily for decades without any problems.

Nope. Just that I see this version of the story more often than "so there my watch was sitting on a winder when I noticed it had stopped running".

Exhibit A:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=897611
Old 5 April 2023, 08:56 AM   #11
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
The take home message from every thread on watch winders on here is “don’t do it” because someone else didn’t for 1,265 years.

WTF?

If you don’t have a recommendation, how about not sharing your opinion. I use one. I like it. It was a cheap $80 Amazon purchase.

Unfortunately it isn’t battery powered, so it doesn’t answer your question either.

Apparently if you want to do your own thing with your Rolex, best advice is to not tell anyone here.

So tiresome.
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2023, 06:25 PM   #12
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC94 View Post
The take home message from every thread on watch winders on here is “don’t do it” because someone else didn’t for 1,265 years.

WTF?

If you don’t have a recommendation, how about not sharing your opinion. I use one. I like it. It was a cheap $80 Amazon purchase.

Unfortunately it isn’t battery powered, so it doesn’t answer your question either.

Apparently if you want to do your own thing with your Rolex, best advice is to not tell anyone here.

So tiresome.
Sorry that Peters answer seems tiresome to you but each day there are new visitors like you who arrive on TRF just like you originally did.

They did not see the previous opinions on this question just like hundreds of other questions that are asked over and over.

If you have nothing to add to these threads why not take you own advice.

And your obscenity shows your lack of class.

Take care.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 02:39 AM   #13
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
Sorry that Peters answer seems tiresome to you but each day there are new visitors like you who arrive on TRF just like you originally did.

They did not see the previous opinions on this question just like hundreds of other questions that are asked over and over.

If you have nothing to add to these threads why not take you own advice.

And your obscenity shows your lack of class.

Take care.

The OP didn’t ask for that opinion. The OP asked for recommendations. Every time someone does, it gets shot down, and no one else replies.

If you haven’t noticed that trend, then you aren’t reading the threads. I watch them because I also wonder what I should get next.

But no one ever speaks up after the TRF anti-winder brigade speaks.

As far as class? You don’t know me so….
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 02:56 AM   #14
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Orbita siena triple refurbished from eBay. $400

Programmable down to 550 turns per day which is where I run it.

Their basic Sparta series is $250 for a single.