The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 February 2023, 01:16 AM   #91
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Cool, if you don’t mind me asking what position and how long did he end up playing?
Looks like he was a pitcher, played minor league ball from 1968-1969 for the Pilots which became modern day Brewers.
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 01:27 AM   #92
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bstewart View Post
Looks like he was a pitcher, played minor league ball from 1968-1969 for the Pilots which became modern day Brewers.
Thank you. Wow, I vaguely remember the Pilots. Pretty sure I probably had some Pilots trading cards.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 01:29 AM   #93
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I never claimed there were 0 elements of business or entertainment involved. Obviously there are. But your points were so extreme in the other direction I had to jump in.
What’s so extreme, it’s a business and it exist purely to make money just as any other for profit business.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 February 2023, 01:56 AM   #94
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What’s so extreme, it’s a business and it exist purely to make money just as any other for profit business.
We can agree to disagree.
Old 18 February 2023, 01:59 AM   #95
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
This is where I’m at. Businesses adapt to their market. Making “enough” money now doesn’t guarantee future profits in a changing market.

As an example, a company I worked for permanently closed a facility that had been operating almost 100 years. The facility was no longer needed or profitable for the business. I’m certain the employees who worked there their entire lives disagreed with the change, but the closure was necessary for the business to flourish.

MLB was America’s number one sport before TV. Now it’s third and losing market. Baseball isn’t going away, but it’s not going to hold it’s market without producing a TV product that can be enjoyed by everybody.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 02:16 AM   #96
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nice to see you making up definitions to fit your narrative
Not at all. When players in a game are being paid, have fans paying money to see them, they have a responsibility to those fans, they transition from players to entertainers. They are paid to providing entertainment.

The game didn't change, but because they are now paid to do it, it changes their role.

I played a game for 60 years and sometimes with guys who were once pros, the game is the same, the only difference for the pros is they went from being entertainers to just participants, because now they were just doing it for their own enjoyment. They have no responsibility to anyone but themselves. They are no longer entertainers.

If you took a baseball game with Major League players over to a field with no fans, nobody watching, just them playing, then they are just playing the game, with no responsibility to anyone. It's just for fun. It doesn't matter how long it takes.

As soon as money enters the picture the game or sport moves from the realm of sport to the realm of entertainment. And since it's entertainment, tweaks to the game for the fans are going to happen. If you want the sport "pure" and unchanged, then it can't be with money and paying-fans involved.
Old 18 February 2023, 03:21 AM   #97
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Not at all. When players in a game are being paid, have fans paying money to see them, they have a responsibility to those fans, they transition from players to entertainers. They are paid to providing entertainment.

The game didn't change, but because they are now paid to do it, it changes their role.

I played a game for 60 years and sometimes with guys who were once pros, the game is the same, the only difference for the pros is they went from being entertainers to just participants, because now they were just doing it for their own enjoyment. They have no responsibility to anyone but themselves. They are no longer entertainers.

If you took a baseball game with Major League players over to a field with no fans, nobody watching, just them playing, then they are just playing the game, with no responsibility to anyone. It's just for fun. It doesn't matter how long it takes.

As soon as money enters the picture the game or sport moves from the realm of sport to the realm of entertainment. And since it's entertainment, tweaks to the game for the fans are going to happen. If you want the sport "pure" and unchanged, then it can't be with money and paying-fans involved.
I disagree. If you think players should be playing for entertainment rather than playing to win, then I'm not sure what else can be said. Winning is above all else, entertainment included.
Old 18 February 2023, 03:25 AM   #98
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf, DD40, SkyD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
Would you say televised baseball is more or less exciting and action packed than televised golf?
About the same, but I would much rather watch golf for a few reasons...the players are more well-known, golf has shots being hit every few seconds on TV, the crowd interaction is more enjoyable, no stupid "unwritten" rules, etc.
DocHorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 03:36 AM   #99
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I disagree. If you think players should be playing for entertainment rather than playing to win, then I'm not sure what else can be said. Winning is above all else, entertainment included.
No, no, no....winning is rarely above all else in professional sports. That's why players almost 100% of the time will sign with the team that pays them the most, not the team that gives them the best chance to win a championship. There are a few exceptions, like Tom Brady, but it is very, very rare for a player to forego money over winning.
Old 18 February 2023, 03:38 AM   #100
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHorton View Post
No, no, no....winning is rarely above all else in professional sports. That's why players almost 100% of the time will sign with the team that pays them the most, not the team that gives them the best chance to win a championship. There are a few exceptions, like Tom Brady, but it is very, very rare for a player to forego money over winning.
Thanks for the lesson on what players do. Not sure why I thought I knew more than you.
Old 18 February 2023, 03:38 AM   #101
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well said, 100% correct.
Old 18 February 2023, 03:41 AM   #102
DocHorton
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for the lesson on what players do. Not sure why I thought I knew more than you.
You're welcome....it's fairly obvious, so I'm not sure why you didn't already know it.
Old 18 February 2023, 03:58 AM   #103
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Amateur players play to win as well.

And I didn't say players SHOULD be playing for entertainment, it's just that once you are being paid to play, you ARE entertainment. And winning is a part of that as well. Winning is entertaining.

People are paying you to entertain them.

And back to the original premise of rule changes to enhance entertainment, (whether it actually will or not is debatable) once you sign to contract to play, you are in fact an entertainer and as long as you entertain adequately you will continue to be paid. When you don't, you can play as an amateur, same game, but you are no longer an entertainer.

You seem to think that being an entertainer is a derogatory word. Dancing for your supper sort of thing. But being an entertainer is providing joy and fun and inspiration to people and young kids. AND it provides the entertainer with a lot of money. Ed Sheeran made 100 million in 2018 singing songs to an audience. Lionel Messi made 100 million a couple of years ago.
Old 18 February 2023, 04:06 AM   #104
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Cool, if you don’t mind me asking what position and how long did he end up playing?
As Bstewart alluded to, yes, my dad was a pitcher with the Pilots, which became the Brewers. He made the move to Milwaukee, but never played a single with them. What happened is never really talked about in our family, but since both of my parents were functioning drug addicts, I suppose it may have had something to do with it.
If you've ever seen A League of Their Own, with Tom Hanks, Madonna, Gina Davis, etc., you would notice the old 1940s era ballpark they played at. That ballpark is in the city I now live in. It is only a couple of miles from where my dad went to high school. Formerly John Galvin Park, that ballpark has been renamed after the man standing behind my dad in that newspaper photo, Jay Littleton. My dad spent his American Legion years there at that park.
My dad would tell me stories of traveling across the country with the Pilots and how upon getting off planes in the South or Midwest, the very first thing he and the few other black players would do would be to go to hardware stores or gas stations to buy tire irons and chains to defend themselves against the racism of the era. He also told of the loyalty that (most of) his white teammates had for them, and how those white players would take beatings while defending their black teammates.

To be continued...dog surgery emergency
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 04:07 AM   #105
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting red herring (bringing winning in).

The rules applied fairly don’t stop winning from happening. The players still play to win, they just do it in a way that is exciting and fun to watch for the masses. You are in the entertainment business, yet are upset that potential fans expect you to be entertaining.

Tiger Woods is pretty entertaining and he won a lot. So too Tom Brady. Why is it baseball players insist on a chess match that is only interesting to baseball insiders (notice you never see televised chess matches).
Old 18 February 2023, 04:41 AM   #106
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As Bstewart alluded to, yes, my dad was a pitcher with the Pilots, which became the Brewers. He made the move to Milwaukee, but never played a single with them. What happened is never really talked about in our family, but since both of my parents were functioning drug addicts, I suppose it may have had something to do with it.
If you've ever seen A League of Their Own, with Tom Hanks, Madonna, Gina Davis, etc., you would notice the old 1940s era ballpark they played at. That ballpark is in the city I now live in. It is only a couple of miles from where my dad went to high school. Formerly John Galvin Park, that ballpark has been renamed after the man standing behind my dad in that newspaper photo, Jay Littleton. My dad spent his American Legion years there at that park.
My dad would tell me stories of traveling across the country with the Pilots and how upon getting off planes in the South or Midwest, the very first thing he and the few other black players would do would be to go to hardware stores or gas stations to buy tire irons and chains to defend themselves against the racism of the era. He also told of the loyalty that (most of) his white teammates had for them, and how those white players would take beatings while defending their black teammates.

Thanks for sharing, and I find it very interesting. i look forward to hearing more when you have time later.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 February 2023, 04:45 AM   #107
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
Interesting red herring (bringing winning in).

The rules applied fairly don’t stop winning from happening. The players still play to win, they just do it in a way that is exciting and fun to watch for the masses. You are in the entertainment business, yet are upset that potential fans expect you to be entertaining.

Tiger Woods is pretty entertaining and he won a lot. So too Tom Brady. Why is it baseball players insist on a chess match that is only interesting to baseball insiders (notice you never see televised chess matches).
I don’t play the game but I would venture to guess because of tradition because that’s the way it has always been. Baseball has a long history and that’s something that makes baseball very special.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 February 2023, 04:46 AM   #108
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
The biggest issue baseball has, to me, is how many strikeouts there are. Every hitter is trying hit a home run. Launch angle!

There’s very rarely any bunts, hit and runs, stolen bases, amazing defensive plays, etc. when 25-33% of the outs per game are a strikeout.

Some quick math, total strikeouts across the league have risen 71% since 1990. Over that same time the runs scored have only gone up 16%.

So baseball has slightly more runs due to some bigger splash plays like a home run, but the rest of the game sacrifices as a result.

I don’t think any of these measures MLB is taking will fix this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 04:58 AM   #109
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think both the last two comments are true, baseball has a long tradition, AND the game has gotten less exciting.

To some a pitching duel is exciting but to most people lots of hits and plays are far more so.

Technology has changed a lot of games as well. Tennis used to have long rallies when wooden rackets were used. In hockey, the sticks have massive flex now and wrist shots can get around 80 MPH. The skates are way better and players are a lot faster.

Players are way better trained and talented these days as well in a lot of sports, perhaps due to better coaching and even Utube.

And sometimes rules have to reflect these changes and adapt. And take in the concept that most sports fans are now watching on TV and not in the venue.

And there is a big difference between live sports and TV stuff.
Old 18 February 2023, 04:59 AM   #110
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Getting back to the TV comment…I think ratings are probably a big factor for the rule changes, no doubt.

However, I do know a lot of people that hate going to baseball games. They just don’t want to sit in an uncomfortable seat in the hot summer sun for 3+ hours while the game is moving as slow as molasses.

It’s generally not an issue for World Series caliber teams. The better teams generally do a good job of filling the stadium up with people. However, lots of stadiums are half empty, and in some cases, more than half empty.

So it could be a bit of both. They want better ratings and more ticket sales too.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 05:02 AM   #111
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Getting back to the TV comment…I think ratings are probably a big factor for the rule changes, no doubt.

However, I do know a lot of people that hate going to baseball games. They just don’t want to sit in an uncomfortable seat in the hot summer sun for 3+ hours while the game is moving as slow as molasses.

It’s generally not an issue for World Series caliber teams. The better teams generally do a good job of filling the stadium up with people. However, lots of stadiums are half empty, and in some cases, more than half empty.

So it could be a bit of both. They want better ratings and more ticket sales too.

The game has not changed but people have. Maybe not the fans, but most others and their expectations have.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 February 2023, 05:16 AM   #112
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Amateur players play to win as well.

And I didn't say players SHOULD be playing for entertainment, it's just that once you are being paid to play, you ARE entertainment. And winning is a part of that as well. Winning is entertaining.

People are paying you to entertain them.

And back to the original premise of rule changes to enhance entertainment, (whether it actually will or not is debatable) once you sign to contract to play, you are in fact an entertainer and as long as you entertain adequately you will continue to be paid. When you don't, you can play as an amateur, same game, but you are no longer an entertainer.

You seem to think that being an entertainer is a derogatory word. Dancing for your supper sort of thing. But being an entertainer is providing joy and fun and inspiration to people and young kids. AND it provides the entertainer with a lot of money. Ed Sheeran made 100 million in 2018 singing songs to an audience. Lionel Messi made 100 million a couple of years ago.
I still find your assertions somewhat offensive
Old 18 February 2023, 05:19 AM   #113
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
The game has not changed but people have. Maybe not the fans, but most others and their expectations have.
Operating costs have changed, that's for sure.

Player contracts are enormous nowadays. For example, the Phillies have eight players making more than $15 million a year. Six of those are making more than $20 million a year.

These new standiums are expensive to build, expensive to maintain, and expensive to operate on a daily basis.

They don't come out and explicitly say it, but MLB wants better TV ratings and more ticket sales.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2023, 05:22 AM   #114
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubshack View Post
The biggest issue baseball has, to me, is how many strikeouts there are. Every hitter is trying hit a home run. Launch angle!

There’s very rarely any bunts, hit and runs, stolen bases, amazing defensive plays, etc. when 25-33% of the outs per game are a strikeout.

Some quick math, total strikeouts across the league have risen 71% since 1990. Over that same time the runs scored have only gone up 16%.

So baseball has slightly more runs due to some bigger splash plays like a home run, but the rest of the game sacrifices as a result.

I don’t think any of these measures MLB is taking will fix this problem.

I think these are pretty decent points.
Old 18 February 2023, 05:24 AM   #115
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Player contracts are enormous nowadays. For example, the Phillies have eight players making more than $15 million a year. Six of those are making more than $20 million a year.

These new standiums are expensive to build, expensive to maintain, and expensive to operate on a daily basis.

They don't come out and explicitly say it, but MLB needs better ratings and more ticket sales.
I don’t disagree. If they aren’t feeling the pinch yet, I’m sure the owners don’t like the trend it’s taking. On the other hand I imagine Jerry Jones has to be extremely happy. I mean he doesn’t even have to win which he’s shown to be lacking for decades and he’s got the most valuable franchise in the Cowboys.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 February 2023, 05:24 AM   #116
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is extremely interesting and would also love to hear more.
Old 18 February 2023, 05:26 AM   #117
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
That’s it I have the solution then. Getting a single is worth 1/3 a point, double 2/3 and triple an entire point in addition to the 1 when you cross home plate

No? Ok I’ll see my way out.
Old 18 February 2023, 05:50 AM   #118
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I still find your assertions somewhat offensive
Wow, and I thought he laid it out fairly well and went about it in a fairly polite way.

I do think if baseball didn’t charge so much for seats maybe more of us might be able to think of this as more just a pure sport rather than a business.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 18 February 2023, 05:53 AM   #119
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Quote:

They don't come out and explicitly say it, but MLB wants better TV ratings and more ticket sales.
The NFL gets around $9 billion in TV money for a 17 game season. MLB gets around $2 billion for a 162 game season. MLB owners would love to add $7 billion to their balance sheet, but they won’t get there without a more attractive TV product.
Old 18 February 2023, 05:55 AM   #120
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow, and I thought he laid it out fairly well and went about it in a fairly polite way.

I do think if baseball didn’t charge so much for seats maybe more of us might be able to think of this as more just a pure sport rather than a business.
You're on a forum dedicated to Rolex watches and think seats are too high?