The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 March 2023, 08:37 PM   #1
13Beast
"TRF" Member

Military Flying Watch options

Hi all,

I am currently flying in the military and looking to purchase a quality watch for work every day. I am new to luxury, high end watches.

We get issued Casio G Shocks, and I am sure they are entirely fit for purpose, but nobody I know even wears them, and that includes me.

I want something fit for purpose for use daily at work - on the ground and in the air.

I do not want anything showy or full of chrome or bling. Prefer a very dark watch, titanium or simply black steel. Need a cloth or rubber strap.

Nothing too large as has to be able to be easily accessible from underneath a flight suit sleeve and gloves.

Cannot be anything with bluetooth or able to be connected. Zero chance of taking this inside a secure building, into a brief, let alone inside the aircraft.

Chrono timing features for redundancy whilst flying. Plus any other features that may prove useful.

Absolutely nothing too cluttered. Plenty of 'pilot watches' are sadly like this, making them virtually unreadable in the air. Want something simple, legible yet modern.

Seems to be a lot of Breitlings over the past couple decades that could fit the bill, however I am quite lost at sea over which of their models (no matter how obscure) could be suitable.

Any other manufacturer models that could also be considered, I would be more than happy to learn about.

Price-wise - something around $5k (or less) could work. More than happy to buy used, in fact I would prefer to, as it seems there are some excellent savings over buying new.

I appreciate any advice that the astute watch afficionados on this forum would have for me!
13Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2023, 01:47 AM   #2
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Breitling Aerospace would fit the bill. It has both analog and digital capabilities with a quartz movement. It is offered with a chronograph. I believe it does come in blacksteel and on a rubber or cloth strap. It's probably the perfect watch for a pilot as it will have extreme accuracy, has multiple digital functions that are useful for flight, and is in your budget.

I was a flight surgeon in the USN. I wore a Navitimer during my service, but it's not like I really needed it. I got to fly for fun.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 02:40 AM   #3
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Professional pilot here, I may be able to assist.

Big question is, how much procedural instrument flying are you expecting to do?

If the answer is none, then you want an easily read “time of day” watch. If you might do some, in an emergency, then consider a chronograph. If you expect to do a lot, then a stopwatch or chronograph fixed to the aircraft is the way to go.

Assuming we’re considering non chronographs, then it’s harder than you might think to get what you need. You need a watch that’s legible, TO THE NEAREST MINUTE. The latter is often misunderstood, even by watch manufacturers, who think that because you have a GPS or FMS, you don’t need the time!

You need white (or at least matte) hands against a black face, or black against white. Silver hands look great in a watch shop but are totally useless on a flight deck at night - they reflect the colours around them, and if that’s “night” they become invisible!

Mechanical is preferable to quartz, partly so you have a backup if everything else goes down, and partly because stepper motors used in quartz movements are susceptible to induced currents around big hydraulic pumps etc. I’ve had this happen.

You can get an inexpensive watch from CWC, basically a British military watch that does 90% of what you need. Legible, o.k. movement, matte case and not big.

A better choice are Sinn. In this case the 856, though there are less costly models. The dial is perfectly designed, extraneous information is omitted, the movement is protected from magnetic fields, the matt case is incredibly scratch resistant and durable, and it’s got sapphire crystal.

Top option is probably IWC, but again I’m not sure they really understand pilots watches, and have produced progressively less suitable watches since the superb Mk 11.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FB47EF4A-30C6-473D-83D7-66810C174E4D.jpeg (62.2 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpeg 5C321B85-ED67-42D6-9CB1-EB6029284D3C.jpeg (58.2 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpeg B633898F-AB65-4CA9-8351-D86123B9721B.jpeg (58.9 KB, 430 views)
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 03:10 AM   #4
Dave455
"TRF" Member

For a Chronograph, the requirements are similar to the above, but with the emphasis on legibility. Many Chronograph manufacturers insist on putting markings between the minute marks on the dial. This is utterly pointless and reduces legibility.

Some I like :-

CWC again - probably the cheapest effective option. The watch shown is quartz, but mechanical versions are available. I like these, and wore this watch for many years flying light aircraft.

Sinn again. This 756 Chronograph has close to a perfect dial layout, but they could have omitted the “hour” chronograph hand. More clutter and not necessary. The only other downside to this is it’s a bit thick and slab sided - can get caught easily if you’re adjusting a seat, have your hands around an engine etc. Wore one of these flying big old turboprops, predominantly at night!

Finally, the Omega Speedmaster. It’s a classic, and rightly so. Wear one of these often, Downsides are it’s not a legible as you might think, and the “hesalite” crystal on some models is less than suitable - get the sapphire!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 74BE347E-5235-4C1A-9E0F-7EC4F7B1103E.jpeg (104.0 KB, 429 views)
File Type: jpeg F42EC29D-2223-476F-8CCF-DF40C670FEDD.jpeg (54.9 KB, 422 views)
File Type: jpeg 1DCEB530-9A33-4461-849F-FA8B99981D2D.jpeg (67.4 KB, 426 views)
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 04:19 AM   #5
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
Maybe slightly over budget but a used 36mm Explorer/OP or Air King.
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2023, 11:20 AM   #6
13Beast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
Breitling Aerospace would fit the bill. It has both analog and digital capabilities with a quartz movement. It is offered with a chronograph. I believe it does come in blacksteel and on a rubber or cloth strap. It's probably the perfect watch for a pilot as it will have extreme accuracy, has multiple digital functions that are useful for flight, and is in your budget.

I was a flight surgeon in the USN. I wore a Navitimer during my service, but it's not like I really needed it. I got to fly for fun.
Aerospaces do look good, and I like the idea they have had a very long production run - tried and true product.

I have read a little about them and apparently the earlier ones (pre-95) are far more robust and reliable with their quartz movements then the later ones? Do you happen to know any more about which vintages/models are the ones to get and the ones to avoid?
Old 10 March 2023, 11:22 AM   #7
13Beast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3Z View Post
Maybe slightly over budget but a used 36mm Explorer/OP or Air King.
Would love an Air King. Sadly, I wish the government paid me more!
Old 10 March 2023, 11:38 AM   #8
13Beast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
Professional pilot here, I may be able to assist.

Big question is, how much procedural instrument flying are you expecting to do?

If the answer is none, then you want an easily read “time of day” watch. If you might do some, in an emergency, then consider a chronograph. If you expect to do a lot, then a stopwatch or chronograph fixed to the aircraft is the way to go.

Assuming we’re considering non chronographs, then it’s harder than you might think to get what you need. You need a watch that’s legible, TO THE NEAREST MINUTE. The latter is often misunderstood, even by watch manufacturers, who think that because you have a GPS or FMS, you don’t need the time!

You need white (or at least matte) hands against a black face, or black against white. Silver hands look great in a watch shop but are totally useless on a flight deck at night - they reflect the colours around them, and if that’s “night” they become invisible!

Mechanical is preferable to quartz, partly so you have a backup if everything else goes down, and partly because stepper motors used in quartz movements are susceptible to induced currents around big hydraulic pumps etc. I’ve had this happen.

You can get an inexpensive watch from CWC, basically a British military watch that does 90% of what you need. Legible, o.k. movement, matte case and not big.

A better choice are Sinn. In this case the 856, though there are less costly models. The dial is perfectly designed, extraneous information is omitted, the movement is protected from magnetic fields, the matt case is incredibly scratch resistant and durable, and it’s got sapphire crystal.

Top option is probably IWC, but again I’m not sure they really understand pilots watches, and have produced progressively less suitable watches since the superb Mk 11.
Thanks for the comprehensive reply! You are 100% correct with respect to large, simple faces with clear contrasting numbers/hands and no clutter. One thing which rules out the lion's share of "pilot watches". And clearly marked minute markings is essential.

I'd kill for an Omega Speedmaster, and if they had a simpler dial, I'd go for it. But just that touch too much clutter for quick reference.

Thanks for introducing me to CWC, had not considered them before. I was leaning towards Sinn - they seem very robust and will take abuse in the cockpit; my issued G-Shock died in a short while (from no abuse). Any watch I wear in the air WILL get knocked from time to time; there's not much room in there flying an ejection seat aircraft and the last thing I want to think about when flying is concerns about the fragility of the watch I am wearing and thus affecting my movements in the cockpit. So an element of durability is desired rather than having an extremely delicate timepiece on my wrist at all times.

There is a large element of "man-maths" in here for this purchase. I have all the systems I need in the jet, and I will fly with a cheap, sturdy quartz watch in my flight suit breast pocket as further redundancy.

This watch purchase however will be the watch I will wear daily at work on the wrist, fly with, and I will try to find excuses to use it as often as I can in the work/flying environment even if just for a little fun.

Flyback chrono could be a handy feature and the Hanhart 417 ES flyback has this feature for not so dear a price. Any experience with Hanhart, or any other watches you know of with a flyback feature that won't break the bank?
Old 10 March 2023, 12:14 PM   #9
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Some excellent suggestions here. Have you considered browsing Fortis models at all? The B-42 Cosmonaut 638.10.11 comes to mind as something tactical.

Image from Google

Image from Google

Either way I'm sure you'll end up finding the idea watch to accompany you.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 07:24 AM   #10
G3Z
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega, Rolex etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Beast View Post
Would love an Air King. Sadly, I wish the government paid me more!
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=894934
G3Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2023, 08:29 AM   #11
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Fantastic thread. Have you considered Panerai. They have made some of the most legible watches ever.
Old 11 March 2023, 06:54 PM   #12
ts3
"TRF" Member

I use my IWC Mark XV when I go flying as I don't want to beat up my other watches (not professionally, just SEP + small heli and VFR only).

If I was looking for a Flieger chrono I might go IWC 3706 or if split second 3711 or 3713. There are current iterations of all these watches - including the IWC Mark XVIII shown above - but I find them a lot less attractive than IWC's no-nonsense models from the 1990s and early 2000s.

Certainly not cluttered are the Heuer 1550 chronos issued to the German Air Force in cold war times. Then there are the Orfina Bund chronos.

Those should all be around your budget. I am lazy with pics but you can easily find them on Chrono24.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2023, 02:03 PM   #13
gtnator
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, SD43, Pepsi,
Quote:
Hi all,

I am currently flying in the military and looking to purchase a quality watch for work every day. I am new to luxury, high end watches.

We get issued Casio G Shocks, and I am sure they are entirely fit for purpose, but nobody I know even wears them, and that includes me.

I want something fit for purpose for use daily at work - on the ground and in the air.

I do not want anything showy or full of chrome or bling. Prefer a very dark watch, titanium or simply black steel. Need a cloth or rubber strap.

Nothing too large as has to be able to be easily accessible from underneath a flight suit sleeve and gloves.

Cannot be anything with bluetooth or able to be connected. Zero chance of taking this inside a secure building, into a brief, let alone inside the aircraft.

Chrono timing features for redundancy whilst flying. Plus any other features that may prove useful.

Absolutely nothing too cluttered. Plenty of 'pilot watches' are sadly like this, making them virtually unreadable in the air. Want something simple, legible yet modern.

Seems to be a lot of Breitlings over the past couple decades that could fit the bill, however I am quite lost at sea over which of their models (no matter how obscure) could be suitable.

Any other manufacturer models that could also be considered, I would be more than happy to learn about.

Price-wise - something around $5k (or less) could work. More than happy to buy used, in fact I would prefer to, as it seems there are some excellent savings over buying new.

I appreciate any advice that the astute watch afficionados on this forum would have for me!

What’s the reason the watch has to only be on a nato or rubber strap? I have a few guesses but would like to know from a (fighter) pilot’s perspective.

Also, I think a Sinn watch may be something for you to look at based on your criteria.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gtnator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 03:32 AM   #14
harryst
"TRF" Member

Damasko. They have central-minute chronographs (hence uncluttered), at 1/2 the price of a Sinn.
harryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 03:35 AM   #15
harryst
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Absolutely nothing too cluttered
Damasko has uncluttered, central minute chronos.
harryst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 01:54 AM   #16
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Aerospaces do look good, and I like the idea they have had a very long production run - tried and true product.

I have read a little about them and apparently the earlier ones (pre-95) are far more robust and reliable with their quartz movements then the later ones? Do you happen to know any more about which vintages/models are the ones to get and the ones to avoid?
I do not have any specific recommendations. I never owned one. Many of the Navy pilots I flew with owned them and I would see quartz Breitlings frequently. Breitling dominated the Naval aviation community. IWC would like to think they hold that distinction, but I never saw one one a pilot's wrist (to be fair this was from 2009-2013). Most of my pilots (who actually liked expensive watches) would wear a quartz Aerospace during the day and put on a Navitimer for the officer's club or to go out. The true overwhelming majority just wore G Shocks. I saw a handful of Rolex GMT-Master IIs as well.

I wore my Navitimer almost all the time. I was a flight surgeon and I was mostly in the office, though I did wear it when I flew. Never used it practically even when they let me fly. I would also wear a Milgauss that I had at the time.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2023, 08:04 AM   #17
WatchmeTimepiece
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Ranger
There are great responses in here. My first thought was either a Panerai or Bell & Ross.
WatchmeTimepiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 April 2023, 08:04 AM   #18
Stephe
Banned

A friend of mine who is a pilot always has the Omega speedmaster pro on his wrist. For me, that’s not a bad choice.
Stephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 03:03 AM   #19
Bstewart
"TRF" Member

Breitling Avenger Blackbird
Bstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 04:25 AM   #20
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Breitling Navitimer 8 B01. It's not in production anymore, line was discontinued and remerged as the Aviator. Price on strap ~ 4k used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breitling-Navitimer-8-B01-Review-8.jpg (110.5 KB, 228 views)
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 07:59 AM   #21
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Straight all purpose tool watch, visible with no extraneous confusion, mechanical movement, reliable, air, sea, or land. Can accommodate a Nato strap. Tudor Ranger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tudor Ranger Airtime.JPG (77.8 KB, 220 views)
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2023, 10:50 PM   #22
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Just my two cents (I wonder how much that is in Australian money? ) I am a former Military Pilot, US Navy. When I earned my wings, back in 19 blah de blah, I too was looking at which watch to purchase. I considered a chronograph, for timing approaches (yes, I shot VOR and even ADF approaches back in those day… MAN am I old! ) but never used it. In most military aircraft, and I am assuming this bodes for Australia as well as the US, there is clock on the cockpit dash with a flyback chronograph. Since it was right in front of me I used that to stopwatch time whatever I needed. It was more convenient then pulling up my flight suit sleeve and starting-stopping the chronograph buttons on my watch. It was right in front of me and besides being easy to operate, just lean forward a bit and press the clock, it also was visible 100% of the time. You know things can get pretty busy during an approach or other timed maneuvers, being able to simple glance over at the clock on the dash in front of you instead of having to stop your scan, uncover your watch, move your wrist up and see the progression is actually a big simplifier. There is a lot going on in the cockpit and the less things you have to do to successfully complete the manuver the better.

Now, for the GMT function, I found I used that much more often, and ended up purchasing my first Rolex, the GMT II. When filling out the paper work and what we called “Gripe” sheets (things not functioning properly on the aircraft), sometime it would require a Zulu-time entry. It was so easy to look at my GMT and see the current Zulu time at a glance. Also, when pulling in to a port and being able to call back home, I would set the 24 hour hand to home time, knowing when it was back there so I could call at an appropiate hour.

Sorry for the long-winded approach, but if you are planning on using a stopwatch function I just know from my experience using the dash-clock was so much easier, but the 24 hour hand definitely proved very useful when not actually in flight.

TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2023, 01:54 PM   #23
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
I couldn't agree more with Paul. I flew long haul flying in the Air Force and the GMT complication was the one I used more than any. Sure, a lot guys have Navitimers and I know Bremont does a lot of custom pieces for squadrons, but a legible GMT is the direction I would turn.

Considering budget, I would look at both the Tudor BBGMT41 and the BBPRO. Longines has a new Zulu Time that packs a lot of bang for the buck as well. Even more affordable would be the Sinn GMT's which are built hell for stout, but lack a jumping hour.

If you aren't afraid of pre owned, one of my personal favorites is the Omega 2538.29 "Great White".

Lots of great suggestions here though!!
Guppydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2023, 11:13 PM   #24
Hvrnaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Some great responses in this thread. I am a professional pilot, as well.
I wear a Breitling Aerospace “Dark” on a Rubber B strap. It is my lightest (titanium) and thinnest watch. It can do it all, frankly. The obvious only shortcoming this watch has it that it is a Superquartz, meaning that, while ridiculously accurate, it can fail due to battery power. The watch does give indications the battery is getting low, but…

As such, I always have another automatic watch with me while traveling.

I also have a Navitimer that I put on a black strap. It is nightly polished, and the strap made it far too blingy for me. The strap (also a Rubber B) tones it down, and it is brilliant.

I also have a Sinn 103 Ti chronograph. It is very lightweight and, as others have mentioned, designed to be a very durable and capable watch. The only knock on the Sinn is that mine is not the UTC version of this watch. Definitely worth the extra time and money to get that one if you go this route. Thickness is a possible downside, but it is incredibly light.

The Sinn and Aerospace are my two main work watches. I do throw a few others in there, occasionally. Like others, I change watches when I go out, or socialize.

Good luck.
Hvrnaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2023, 01:30 PM   #25
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
I have an Aerospace that I consider my rough use watch. It is light as a feather and wears very close to the body. The analog hands are extremely legible and the lume is great. The digital functions can be difficult to read at times, but provide useful functionality. The only thing I dislike about it are the quarter-hour markers on the bezel. They catch on clothing all the time.

I LOVE my Speedmaster and it has gotten more wrist time in 13 years than all my others. It is easily the most legible watch I own and is NOT overly busy.

The GMT Master II is a great tool watch for travel and hopping time zones. Heavy, but has great wrist presence and great lume.

The Daytona is beautiful and keeps great time, but has terrible legibility.
Old 28 May 2023, 12:23 PM   #26
cramsey
"TRF" Member

Love Panerai, but the lack of minute markings on most options would seem to pose a problem. Bell & Ross seems like an obvious choice.
cramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2023, 06:21 PM   #27
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Breitling just released a bunch of new Classic Avi pilot watches https://www.breitling.com/us-en/watc...2/Y233801A1B1/

Tbh they aren't my cup of tea, but some of them look as if they fit your description at roughly 5-6k (obviously not the gold pieces).
philhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote