The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 March 2023, 07:36 AM   #1
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

New Concept and ROO Tourbillon Chrono

I’m surprised back the absence of discussion on these two new releases. Did I miss a thread? Or are people just not inspired?

For clarity’s sake, I’m referring to the 26650TI:

And the 26622CE:

Thoughts? Opinions?
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 07:58 AM   #2
messikens
"TRF" Member

It was discussed but likely not been issued yet (or just issued to folks who likely don't frequent TRF):

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=12625573
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 09:13 AM   #3
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
My first thought is a G-shock mixed with RM.
Not my cup of tea but perhaps the young ones like them
Old 21 March 2023, 10:19 AM   #4
7sins
"TRF" Member

Priced at $200k for the ti and $300k for the CE, even putting the absurd pricing aside, a swing and a miss for me. Endlessly better options available at these price points. Not to mention the CE is 16mm thick (actually 2mm thicker than my rm030), I can't fathom how clunky that will sit on the wrist.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 02:46 PM   #5
gregouille
"TRF" Member

I’ve tried it, it’s a cool watch to look at but like it’s been said before:
- way too big
- way too expensive

We are taking about a very small niche of people interested of buying. I’ll say maybe like the Marvel
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 02:58 PM   #6
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Actually, many of the RM movements are made by AP though.

back to the watches, I did try the one on the top. WAY too big for me.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2023, 08:24 PM   #7
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
The Concept is fantastic for those with sufficiently large wrists!
Old 21 March 2023, 11:19 PM   #8
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregouille View Post
I’ve tried it, it’s a cool watch to look at but like it’s been said before:
- way too big
- way too expensive

We are taking about a very small niche of people interested of buying. I’ll say maybe like the Marvel

Pretty much nailed it - very targeted market.

That said, I tried on the tourb chrono in Ti and it was honestly and amazing size / weight without being too clunky. The 43mm Offshore format is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 02:13 AM   #9
ase_sbhwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post

If these are the new “flagship” models at the top of the line, I’d be a little concerned about trickle down. Setting aside pure hype among the collector community, these have zero aesthetic appeal and look like plastic watches from a department store case. Where is the art, the elegance, the historical precedence, the intricacy of hand engraved movements, the refined craftsmanship? Here again is another attempt by AP to compete apparently with the Urwerk audience. You’d never see Patek Philippe going in this direction.
ase_sbhwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 03:03 AM   #10
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase_sbhwatch View Post
If these are the new “flagship” models at the top of the line, I’d be a little concerned about trickle down. Setting aside pure hype among the collector community, these have zero aesthetic appeal and look like plastic watches from a department store case. Where is the art, the elegance, the historical precedence, the intricacy of hand engraved movements, the refined craftsmanship? Here again is another attempt by AP to compete apparently with the Urwerk audience. You’d never see Patek Philippe going in this direction.

I don’t get your outrage - APs been doing this for like 20 years. Concept and offshore are their experimental lines whereas RO and Code are their more traditional lines. The appeal of these watches is how they wear and visually look in real life. A static photo without seeing how the light is bouncing is nearly worthless.

You’d never see that openworked split chrono in the concept being jammed into an RO and CODE - the type of openworking between those lines are completely different Ie a 15407 movement inside a concept would look very out place.

Movement finishing has definitely moved towards industrialization but that’s largely been the move across all major houses except indies.
Old 22 March 2023, 03:30 AM   #11
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Or one could say that AP isn't stuck somewhere in the middle of the last century. Btw, I'm sure many here would like to know which department store you're shopping at.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 04:57 AM   #12
gregouille
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You can just have a look at the Code Universel and you will see what AP can achieve
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2023, 06:42 AM   #13
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I tried on the concept and it’s a million times improved over the prior version in terms of size and wearability. It’s an AP statement that they can outdo RM and btw it’s $100k less expensive than the split seconds RM (trust me I own it)

That said it’s a little hard to read it but maybe my eyes are old !

The green monster on the other hand is a disaster IMHO and my prior version crushes it (clearly biased but still true)
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 04:33 AM   #14
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Anyone think they will produce a 42mm concept? I would be a buyer on that but 44 is too much for me in the concept case. I assumed after the black panther concept that the 42mm case would be rolled out to regular production. Guess not or hopefully still to come.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 05:33 AM   #15
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD View Post
Anyone think they will produce a 42mm concept? I would be a buyer on that but 44 is too much for me in the concept case. I assumed after the black panther concept that the 42mm case would be rolled out to regular production. Guess not or hopefully still to come.

Yes I think so. I’ve been hassling them to do a 42mm for ages since the Black Panther and I’ve been told there’s no way they do all the R&D on a 42mm format and only release one model which to me means not if but when

Old 23 March 2023, 05:41 AM   #16
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
Yes I think so. I’ve been hassling them to do a 42mm for ages since the Black Panther and I’ve been told there’s no way they do all the R&D on a 42mm format and only release one model which to me means not if but when

SMD is offline   Reply With Quote