The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 March 2023, 07:27 AM   #31
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT_91 View Post
If this is the case, I stand corrected! I wish you success in your AP endeavour! I hope you'll somehow be able to make that "physical" meeting happen.
Yeah I guess I'll go next time I am in one of the places with a boutique, but not really in the mood for travel. More an inside dog myself.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 07:37 AM   #32
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Perhaps the person who gave the introduction was held in high regard? or perhaps not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wonders never cease to amaze me
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 07:40 AM   #33
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Icon10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivalas View Post
I never said I paid for it

Amazed he’s not been black listed after introducing me

I forgot you got a special BOGOF deal

Still time to black list the original referrer…….he’s got a lot to answer for….
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 08:09 AM   #34
DanMiles
"TRF" Member

I can offer a different perspective. From my experience, you do not need to make an in person visit. Living in Canada, I made a simple inquiry to the AP website a couple of years ago. Much to my surprise, I was met with a reply by an actual person. A few emails back and forth regarding what I was interested in and a quick phone call, I had a profile set up. I told the contact I knew it could take some time but was willing to wait. About a year later, Jan 2022, I sent an email re-stating my interest. Much to my surprise, I was offered a 15500 black dial, which I declined (silver was my first choice). The contact said they understood completely and to check back in September since all the 50th anniversary 15510 had been allocated. I sent another email in late January 2023 and a phone call was set up. After nice conversation about what I was hoping for, my family, business etc. I was told I should be able to get a 15510 silver dial within 3-4 months. I will report back when it happens, but there was absolutely no mention of flying any where or any in person meeting requirements whatsoever. I was told the watch would be shipped directly to me when it comes in. So perhaps a bit of hope for my fellow Canadians.
DanMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 08:40 AM   #35
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Not what you know its who you know
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 10:06 AM   #36
just1time
"TRF" Member

My Story

-Was bored one day so I sent off an e-mail to AP via website complaining about lack of presence in Canada in Mid-October
-A couple of days later, I received a reply asking me to touch base with NY boutique cause it was the closest to me.
-Booked an appointment with NY Boutique for Mid-December. It is a 45mins to 1hr flight from Toronto that I had done lots of times before so I didn't count it as big deal. I usually fly in in the morning and return at night.

-Snowstorm in Mid-December caused me to reschedule my appointment. Re-scheduled to mid-February.

-Landed in NY on a good day in mid-February. What was supposed to be an hour meet and greet appointment ended up being couple of hours as we got lost in the excitement of getting acquainted.

- While rushing to the airport to catch my flight back to Toronto, I got a call. They would love me to have the Titanium ROO. I couldn't turn back and was not prepared for it given I honestly didnt expect it. So I chose to come back for it.

Flew to NY following Tuesday and flew back to Toronto with a beautiful piece and a new relationship with the Boutique.
just1time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2023, 10:47 PM   #37
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
I like finding interviews with FHB and others top level AP people from several years back where I can really see now in retrospective the strategy and steps they have been taking lately.
https://swisswatches-magazine.com/bl...ry-bennahmias/
This one is from 3 years ago and it's entertaining 5 mins read.
Q8 addresses this thread and Q12 kind of gives hints into the twice per year price increases (unfortunately).
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 04:40 AM   #38
Narbeh
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by just1time View Post
My Story

-Was bored one day so I sent off an e-mail to AP via website complaining about lack of presence in Canada in Mid-October
-A couple of days later, I received a reply asking me to touch base with NY boutique cause it was the closest to me.
-Booked an appointment with NY Boutique for Mid-December. It is a 45mins to 1hr flight from Toronto that I had done lots of times before so I didn't count it as big deal. I usually fly in in the morning and return at night.

-Snowstorm in Mid-December caused me to reschedule my appointment. Re-scheduled to mid-February.

-Landed in NY on a good day in mid-February. What was supposed to be an hour meet and greet appointment ended up being couple of hours as we got lost in the excitement of getting acquainted.

- While rushing to the airport to catch my flight back to Toronto, I got a call. They would love me to have the Titanium ROO. I couldn't turn back and was not prepared for it given I honestly didnt expect it. So I chose to come back for it.

Flew to NY following Tuesday and flew back to Toronto with a beautiful piece and a new relationship with the Boutique.
That is amazing. With the advent of technology and click to buy, i really appreciate the in person buying experience at AP and the relationships that are developed. That is, after all, what this hobby is all about (at least to me). Cheers.
Narbeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 05:20 AM   #39
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
This one is from 3 years ago and it's entertaining 5 mins read.
Q8 addresses this thread and Q12 kind of gives hints into the twice per year price increases (unfortunately).
Yeah, they are probably not very worried about the price sensitivity of the 0.1% of the wealthiest 0.25% of the population they need to sell their annual production (20000 clients buying a couple of watches each)
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 05:33 AM   #40
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narbeh View Post
That is amazing. With the advent of technology and click to buy, i really appreciate the in person buying experience at AP and the relationships that are developed. That is, after all, what this hobby is all about (at least to me). Cheers.
Same here - for me the boutique visits are a significant part of the experience, and I definitely wouldn't enjoy clicking on a website to enter a computer moderated lottery for my desired watch even half as much.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 08:14 AM   #41
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Same here - for me the boutique visits are a significant part of the experience, and I definitely wouldn't enjoy clicking on a website to enter a computer moderated lottery for my desired watch even half as much.

+ 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 08:55 AM   #42
GTS-R
"TRF" Member

I had been on a waitlist for about 18 months to get a ROO. I wasn’t too concerned about the version but I had one or two I preferred. Either the SS taupe or the all titanium. Every 4-6 months I’d call to see how things were going. I told my dealer in Miami I’d stop by on my next visit to introduce myself which was this past December. About a month later I got a call an all titanium ROO arrived if I wanted it so I bought it. Not sure my visit to introduce myself and show my interest helped, but it definitely didn’t hurt. In any case, I’m hoping both my visit and the purchase will help me with another purchase in the future.
GTS-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 10:50 AM   #43
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
If you're just looking to be a one and done, there is no need to make the effort in visiting a boutique. Much better off going grey. If you're looking to collect pieces over time, a visit and establishing a relationship is a must in my mind.

Like @VogelPhoenix and @Ash, visiting the boutique is part of the purchasing experience that I enjoy.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2023, 09:21 PM   #44
R35GTR
"TRF" Member

FWIW, I visited my now boutique a few times a year for 2.5 years until I finally got a ROC. It was in a different state so about a 1.5 hour drive one way each time. I have no doubt my persistent in person visits and meeting the entire staff helped me get my piece, especially now that AP is not giving full discretion to the boutiques (or so I’ve been told).

If you’re not dead set on buying new, APs are trading at pretty good prices in the grey market but be wary of you buy from (I’d personally go to one of the greys in person). And of course the more reputable the place (ie watchbox, DavidSW) higher the price.
R35GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 01:40 AM   #45
Giovannibravo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub| DJ41| 79540
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I just called the AP boutique in NY and was told you need to show up in-person to "start a relationship". A friend told me the same thing.

I'm in SLC/Vancouver, and neither place has a boutique. Canada doesn't have a boutique at all...lol.

When I have been to their boutiques the sales people have not been that knowledgeable. So I'm not sure what you'd go there for? Maybe I just had really bad luck. This was the LA boutique.

Is there a boutique that is more reasonable that I should contact? I work ~80 hours a week and consuming a bunch of time to go to a watch brand's store seems like a bad use of time. It would be a lot less headache to just buy grey, which is what I am leaning towards now...

I always thought it was crazy that AP doesn't have a boutique in Canada.
Giovannibravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2023, 01:51 AM   #46
AEV
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, they are probably not very worried about the price sensitivity of the 0.1% of the wealthiest 0.25% of the population they need to sell their annual production (20000 clients buying a couple of watches each)
Yeah, I was looking at some old studies from McKinsey where the average net worth of the 99th percentile is approx. 7M, while does in the 99.9th approx. - 30M.
This was before crypto and surge of tech stocks.
A lot of their customers are in those brackets so indeed they could sell the entire annual production in a few days just by phone.
Old 25 March 2023, 02:17 AM   #47
AEV
"TRF" Member

On a general note - visiting a boutique and connecting with the people makes a lot of difference. Always prefer to pick up a watch in person. My current boutique is around 90 mins by flight but it is always an event when I go to visit.
Old 25 March 2023, 04:11 AM   #48
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had pretty meh experiences when I went to the boutiques in LA + LV which is why I brought that up. Overall, not very knowledgeable sales people, was kind of surprised as PP (Vancouver, NYC, SLC) and Journe (NYC) in particular have been awesome.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote