The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 31 March 2023, 04:17 AM   #1
asrah
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Trade advice AP 15510st black for a PP 5167A or AP 15510st blue dia

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma and would love some input from the community. I really like the 15510st black watch , However, I had originally wanted a blue dial, but it wasn't available. On top of that, I've always had a soft spot for the PP 5167A, which unfortunately I can't obtain from my AD. Here's where I need your help: I've never seen either the AP 15510 st blue or the PP 5167A in person, and I'm considering trading my current watch for one of these two and adding cash to the trade. Do you think it's a wise move, or am I being irrational? I'd appreciate any thoughts or insights you might have. Thanks in advance
asrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 04:22 AM   #2
tcpx
"TRF" Member

Buy what you like as it’s always gonna be in the back of your mind if you don’t try and make that move.

What cash top up would you be looking at for either?
tcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 04:27 AM   #3
asrah
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpx View Post
Buy what you like as it’s always gonna be in the back of your mind if you don’t try and make that move.

What cash top up would you be looking at for either?
Yeah tough one , sometimes what you want is not alway the right thing haha I guess the price difference will be in the 10k range I am not sure though
Old 31 March 2023, 04:36 AM   #4
impactplayer
"TRF" Member

Did you get the 15510 from an AP boutique? If so, consider whether you are interested in purchasing more pieces down the road from them as selling the watch so quickly will likely result in you being blackballed.

If you didn't get from an AP boutique, or simply don't care, I say just go for whatever makes you happy. No need to settle when it comes to watches.
impactplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:07 AM   #5
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
I didn’t previously like the Aquanaut but my friend has recently bought one and it’s really grown on me. The 15510 is stunning, since you already have the black dial how much cash are you having to add? If it’s in the region of $5k then I can see the dilemma but the black dial is still a stunning watch so unless you wear loads of blue clothes I’d be tempted to stick on black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:24 AM   #6
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I would highly suggest trying on, even a used, 5167 before committing. I was very underwhelmed by it. Specifically comparing against a RO. I would get a rubber strap for your RO and have the perfect combo. Plus, 5167 bezels are fixed and can’t be swapped like a RO so more care is needed, if you care about that.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:29 AM   #7
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

Im lucky enough to own a blue 15510 and it’s an incredible watch. I find myself wearing it even more than my silver 26240.
I don’t have a 5167 but one thing to note is that the 15510 wears larger than most 41mm watches, so if you prefer a smaller watch, that may affect your decision. I prefer 42-44mm and love the 15520 - I can’t say the 5167 would fit as well.

Personally I don’t see the huge attraction to the 5167, especially when you compare the rubber strap to the RO bracelet. I don’t think I could make that trade.

Now blue vs black dial - that’s a tough one. I’ve tried the black dial and it too as very nice, but black is relatively common so it may depend if you have anything else in your collection. If this is a one watch collection then I recommend sticking to black and adding in the future.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 06:52 AM   #8
Reign
"TRF" Member

If you’re going to unload your 15510 now for a blue one or aquanaut - you got to be comfortable with not buying from AP boutiques ever again since you’ll get blacklisted.

That said, I’d enjoy what you have now and just save up to get the aquanaut later. AP improved the black dials significantly and they’re so dynamic now. The blue will largely wear dark navy or even black until you’re in sunlight - but even at that point the black dial will be just as dynamic

Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 07:22 AM   #9
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Watch: es are FUN!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
If you’re going to unload your 15510 now for a blue one or aquanaut - you got to be comfortable with not buying from AP boutiques ever again since you’ll get blacklisted.
Unless you are trading with another collector. He is not selling to collect profits.
Old 31 March 2023, 09:31 AM   #10
RolLee
"TRF" Member

Watch: (n) thing for time
Apples to oranges comparison. 5167 has far less wrist presence and feels far less substantial vs. the AP. Also, rubber strap vs. AP bracelet cannot be compared. Maybe a Nautilus vs. 15510 is a better comparison. I might consider a complication aquanaut like the 5164 as a trade for a 15510 but probably not a 5167.

AP blacklisting is a real thing too. Their methodology for "knowing" if a boutique-purchased watch has been "flipped" is sophisticated.
RolLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 10:36 AM   #11
asrah
"TRF" Member

I will keep trying with my AD to get 5167. I would ideally like to add rather than trade.
Old 31 March 2023, 02:50 PM   #12
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolLee View Post
Apples to oranges comparison. 5167 has far less wrist presence and feels far less substantial vs. the AP. Also, rubber strap vs. AP bracelet cannot be compared. Maybe a Nautilus vs. 15510 is a better comparison. I might consider a complication aquanaut like the 5164 as a trade for a 15510 but probably not a 5167.

AP blacklisting is a real thing too. Their methodology for "knowing" if a boutique-purchased watch has been "flipped" is sophisticated.

Care to explain?

Anyone here ever actually been blacklisted or know someone who has? Do they tell you directly that you’re blacklisted and is it for life?

Hear a lot of fear around here about AP blacklisting but when you see all the hot pieces on the market makes you wonder who sold them…
APWorldTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 02:55 PM   #13
speedbird
"TRF" Member

Most buyers register the watch on the AP online account. Especially if the watch is still under warranty.
So when sold grey the new buyer has the right to do it too and usually does.
I have seen this trigger alerts to the AP supplying boutique resulting in a phone call to the original buyer.

I’ve also seen someone flip within months, the watch came off the account but they did not get a call. So who knows how sophisticated the system is.

If anyone has more info on this, I would be interested to hear more.
speedbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 03:01 PM   #14
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Just food for thought. What’s stopping someone who flips a watch to keep note of the serial and warranty number and re-registering a watch under their profile if it ever leaves. How often do you guys go to check your portfolio in the AP website. If you register a watch bought grey, then the original owner re-registers it, you don’t get alerted. Does AP get alerted twice? Could pass it off as a false alarm as you were just testing out the register system with a friend…
Old 31 March 2023, 03:02 PM   #15
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Side note, does Patek have any system for tracking and banning flippers? Rolex clearly does not…
Old 31 March 2023, 03:28 PM   #16
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by APWorldTour View Post
Care to explain?

Anyone here ever actually been blacklisted or know someone who has? Do they tell you directly that you’re blacklisted and is it for life?

Hear a lot of fear around here about AP blacklisting but when you see all the hot pieces on the market makes you wonder who sold them…

Yes, I have seen it with people I know. It wasn't their intention to flip for a profit, but rather moved on from a piece because they didn't wear them. It's always best to talk to your SA and boutique before moving on from a piece. I have done this on several pieces with no ill effect on my allocations. Even pieces I've owned beyond the warranty period, I make the call and let them know.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 03:32 PM   #17
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Just food for thought. What’s stopping someone who flips a watch to keep note of the serial and warranty number and re-registering a watch under their profile if it ever leaves. How often do you guys go to check your portfolio in the AP website. If you register a watch bought grey, then the original owner re-registers it, you don’t get alerted. Does AP get alerted twice? Could pass it off as a false alarm as you were just testing out the register system with a friend…

I wouldn’t insult their intelligence, if selling the watch didn’t get you blacklisted then the crazy story would.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 04:15 PM   #18
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Yes, I have seen it with people I know. It wasn't their intention to flip for a profit, but rather moved on from a piece because they didn't wear them. It's always best to talk to your SA and boutique before moving on from a piece. I have done this on several pieces with no ill effect on my allocations. Even pieces I've owned beyond the warranty period, I make the call and let them know.

So were the repercussions just a flat out lifetime ban from any allocations ever again?

I’ve never sold a watch and if I did this would certainly be the right play. If anything it is courtesy if you have the relationship.
Old 31 March 2023, 04:18 PM   #19
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
I wouldn’t insult their intelligence, if selling the watch didn’t get you blacklisted then the crazy story would.

Certainly not advocating trying it as you’re definitely right.

Just trying to uncover some transparency as there are many who wonder how the grail pieces end up brand new on the market. We are past the days of ADs bundling to greys. So one has to think that those who receive these allocations are either sacrificing the relationship for an instant profit, or the blacklisting doesn’t apply to them…
Old 31 March 2023, 04:40 PM   #20
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
So were the repercussions just a flat out lifetime ban from any allocations ever again?

I’ve never sold a watch and if I did this would certainly be the right play. If anything it is courtesy if you have the relationship.

Can't say for sure if it's a lifetime ban. That's a long time and many things can change. Certainly any further calls to the SA went unanswered.

Quote:
Certainly not advocating trying it as you’re definitely right.

Just trying to uncover some transparency as there are many who wonder how the grail pieces end up brand new on the market. We are past the days of ADs bundling to greys. So one has to think that those who receive these allocations are either sacrificing the relationship for an instant profit, or the blacklisting doesn’t apply to them…

You also have to keep in mind that many of the listings you see online are of the same watches. Multiple dealers will post for sale the same watch that is within their network of dealer friends.

If someone truly doesn't connect with a piece after purchasing it, they can certainly have that conversation with the boutique and they would not have an issue with you moving it as long as you have an extensive history and collection with the brand. They know you are not a flipper. I know if I really wanted to move on from a recent purchase, I'm sure I can manage it without damaging the relationship.

It's going to be tough to accomplish with your first purchase though.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 04:57 PM   #21
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrah View Post
I'm facing a bit of a dilemma and would love some input from the community. I really like the 15510st black watch , However, I had originally wanted a blue dial, but it wasn't available. On top of that, I've always had a soft spot for the PP 5167A, which unfortunately I can't obtain from my AD. Here's where I need your help: I've never seen either the AP 15510 st blue or the PP 5167A in person, and I'm considering trading my current watch for one of these two and adding cash to the trade. Do you think it's a wise move, or am I being irrational? I'd appreciate any thoughts or insights you might have. Thanks in advance
On topic: Go and try the 5167. I was very underwelmed. Always thought this watch was a kind of grail watch, but it is a very plain, simple and in my opinion boring watch.I owned it for about a year.
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2023, 05:38 PM   #22
APWorldTour
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Can't say for sure if it's a lifetime ban. That's a long time and many things can change. Certainly any further calls to the SA went unanswered.

You also have to keep in mind that many of the listings you see online are of the same watches. Multiple dealers will post for sale the same watch that is within their network of dealer friends.

If someone truly doesn't connect with a piece after purchasing it, they can certainly have that conversation with the boutique and they would not have an issue with you moving it as long as you have an extensive history and collection with the brand. They know you are not a flipper. I know if I really wanted to move on from a recent purchase, I'm sure I can manage it without damaging the relationship.

It's going to be tough to accomplish with your first purchase though.

Agreed 100% and no one is getting a grail RO as a first purchase anyway.
Old 1 April 2023, 11:14 PM   #23
ase_sbhwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolLee View Post

The apples to apples comparison would be the AP Diver vs. PP Aquanaut. But that’s probably a conversation for another thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ase_sbhwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2023, 11:56 PM   #24
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase_sbhwatch View Post
The apples to apples comparison would be the AP Diver vs. PP Aquanaut. But that’s probably a conversation for another thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Not at all and LOL.

One is a 42x14mm chunk of a (dive) watch on your wrist, the other one you'll barely notice at 40x8mm which is the main reason why those who love the Aquanaut love it. Both ok but serving a different purpose and largely catering to a different crowd in my experience.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2023, 12:28 AM   #25
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Genius.

Old 2 April 2023, 12:47 AM   #26
lmcgbaj
"TRF" Member

I know several who got banned for selling an RO within the year. It’s part of AP strategy to control the sales and know the end customer.

Old 2 April 2023, 04:12 AM   #27
s14roller
"TRF" Member

If you really enjoy the black dial I would just hold onto that for reasons others have already mentioned. No way I’d put it toward a 5167 but I’m not really a fan of the aquanauts. Maybe the khaki ones but that’s about it
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote