The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 28 December 2022, 02:33 AM   #1
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Calatrava tang buckle?

Hello all,

Just picked up a 3919 from 2005. It’s my grail watch and it came as a full set. The buckle on the watch looks like this and is signed.

I’ve seen a few Calatrava with this style tang buckle, but it doesn’t seem to align with any particular range of years. Some early references have them, and some don’t. Most have this style buckle:

Does anyone know anything about this? Did patek use some different clasps occasionally? Would be weird to have what appears to be a fully original Calatrava with the original strap but with a genuine yet non original pin buckle. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 03:50 AM   #2
robinmgb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hublot BB Unico
I’m afraid I can’t answer on the correct buckle for the years question.
I will say I think it’s fine to have a non genuine aftermarket buckle as long as you have the original genuine buckle safely in the box.
I always put aftermarket straps and buckles on all my watches, I like to keep the originals as new and let aftermarket straps take the wear
robinmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 04:06 AM   #3
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
I’m afraid I can’t answer on the correct buckle for the years question.
I will say I think it’s fine to have a non genuine aftermarket buckle as long as you have the original genuine buckle safely in the box.
I always put aftermarket straps and buckles on all my watches, I like to keep the originals as new and let aftermarket straps take the wear
the buckle is genuine though as far as I can tell, it is signed PPC and has correct hallmarks and quality. The odd thing is I have seen 3919 from lets sat 1986 with original strap and the horseshoe style buckle, but I've also seen this style on older references too. It doesn't seem to be linked to the year of the watch.
Old 28 December 2022, 09:23 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
The spade buckle is the current version. The buckle on your watch is probably correct for date of production.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 09:34 AM   #5
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
the buckle is genuine though as far as I can tell, it is signed PPC and has correct hallmarks and quality. The odd thing is I have seen 3919 from lets sat 1986 with original strap and the horseshoe style buckle, but I've also seen this style on older references too. It doesn't seem to be linked to the year of the watch.
Older references having a (not period correct) current style buckle is not a rare occurrence. My take is that the original buckles had been lost and replaced with the new one. Not sure if the old style buckles can still be procured from Geneva.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2022, 01:45 AM   #6
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Older references having a (not period correct) current style buckle is not a rare occurrence. My take is that the original buckles had been lost and replaced with the new one. Not sure if the old style buckles can still be procured from Geneva.
thats what I figured, but this seems to be the OPPOSITE of my situation. My Calatrava is a late 2005, whereas this buckle seems to be a mint version of the old style buckle.
Old 10 November 2023, 07:41 PM   #7
RB_NL
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-JLC-IWC-Heuer
Hi @sportsfan0704

This may be a bit late of a reply, but I just came across this post and thought I might reply.

The buckle you have is definitely an earlier version. The last series of the 3919 ('00-'05-ish) came with the spade buckle. I happened to have a pink gold one from the same series (with that buckle) that I have been researching. The reason why you see variations in buckles, straps and boxes as well is that full set original watches are seen as more valuable in resale markets. Hence people will try to find what they can to 'complete' their watch. Personally I think it hardly matters with a watch like this (what are you going to do with an old warranty letter, or a decayed box?). All that matters is the state the watch is in right? Same goes for the buckle; it's a pp and it suits the watch. That's all that should matter.
RB_NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2023, 03:03 AM   #8
scurfa
"TRF" Member

Out of interest the buckle is still available, here is one I got recently
Old 11 November 2023, 03:58 AM   #9
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
Hello all,

Just picked up a 3919 from 2005. It’s my grail watch and it came as a full set. The buckle on the watch looks like this and is signed.

I’ve seen a few Calatrava with this style tang buckle, but it doesn’t seem to align with any particular range of years. Some early references have them, and some don’t. Most have this style buckle:

Does anyone know anything about this? Did patek use some different clasps occasionally? Would be weird to have what appears to be a fully original Calatrava with the original strap but with a genuine yet non original pin buckle. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the lower buckle on the new 5226g
salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote