The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 December 2022, 03:30 PM   #1
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

The “Rambo Patek”

The Patek 5520P provides a wonderful representation of Patek’s modern execution of the Grand Complications. Inspired by the pilot watch aesthetics of the Calatrava Pilot collection, the 5520P packs an incredible number of complications into a single, well finished, 42mm case. So, imagine my surprise when I came across a comment while watch surfing the web, and it cracked me up. “The 5520p is the Rambo Patek and I love it.”

The 5520P might be a polarizing reference, but it’s still a Patek through and through. Is it an extremely expensive reference? Absolutely. Is the legibility outstanding? You bet. Lume? Check. A useful complicaron? Hell yeah. I mean, a dual time zone + a mechanical alarm? You have to hear this with your own ears to appreciate what Patek crated here. And the craftsmanship is sublime.

Yeah, I know. IWC, JLC and Blanpain might have mechanical alarm pieces for a a fraction of the price. But let’s, face it. Patek has no substitute. If you’ve deal with the brand as long as I have, you know what I’m talking about. You might think I’m biased, and that I’m just a fanboy. That might be true, although I’m objectively brutal and putting many brands, against a Patek, hey… god is in the details, friends. The finishes, how it feels on the wrist, it’s just a sublime experience overall.

At the end of the day, watches might be just be tools to tell time or objects of desire, or a status symbol, but I just see them for what they are: Exceptionally well built pieces that put a smile on my face.

The 5520p might be the “Rambo watch” that’s not for everyone. It might be a piece that gets frown upon with those 2 pushers sticking at each side. Is that a crab? A land mine? A UFO? Is the guy who designed the case now in witness protection? Haha.

We live in a word we’re beauty is subjective and at the end of the day, we just vote with our wallets. No matter what your opinion is on the 5520p I’m happy with my purchase and has become a pice that takes center stage in my stable. Enjoy some pics of “the Rambo Patek” and chime in. No pun intended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Demonoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2022, 04:07 PM   #2
huydoan
"TRF" Member

Watch: pp and only pp
i like this watch, though my wrist is small to accommodate the 42mm platinum one. thank you for posting this watch in real life. do you use the alarm function frequently?
huydoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2022, 08:36 PM   #3
Vasco
"TRF" Member

As often in watches, only the real experience allows to notice the true finishing of a model. After a few years of "practice", one definitely can perceive noticable differences.

When you hold any of Patek Pilot watches, you definitely see it. In the numerals especially.

The 5520P is particularly rare in the sense the Alarm and calendar have to be synchronized in a way to preserve the movement. The ring sets itself on "off" when setting the alarm. Winding is mandatory to be able to activate the alarm (with the help of a dynamometric feature). There is an isolator for the date correction around midnight. It's a 24h alarm that follows the time zone.

The syncronisation of Alarm with the Travel Time function was first conceived for this watch. The system has been used for the 5326G. The owner can set it forward and backward.

It's based on a MR mechanism. New model means new baseplate which allowed also to re-center the crown.

The speed on a Minute-Repeater should remain under 18 seconds, not to spend too much energy. The alarm here lasts 35 seconds.

This isn't a simple watch.

It's nice to see you're enjoying it often. Congratz :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2022, 11:00 PM   #4
sxdcfv911
"TRF" Member

The complication of this watch is excellent. The design is horrible. The 4 crowns just look ridiculous, IMO.
sxdcfv911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 12:13 AM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Beautiful watch. I have seriously looked at acquiring this watch but have not as of today. Maybe in 2023.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 12:14 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great reference Logan, glad to see you enjoying it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 12:20 AM   #7
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Glad to see this post...I got one of these about a month ago or so.

I was totally against this watch at first like many here...however, in person it's an absolute stealth killer. I freakin love it.

On the wrist you don't even notice the "oddity" of the pushers and I actually think it looks better than the 3 pushers on the pilots.

The weight on the wrist is legit, the piece feels like it's special...yet to many it looks like an invicta so I'm not worried about getting my arm chopped off on the streets of NYC.

The sound of the alarm is incredible both on and off wrist.

Yes it's absurdly expensive.

That said, I think people are really missing out with this one. It's legit terrific.

Congrats on the pick up!
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2022, 10:44 AM   #8
slawa
"TRF" Member

Big congrats to you sir on this incredible watch,
slawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2022, 01:45 AM   #9
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Thak you all for the wonderful comments. I just love this reference and hope to enjoy it for many year to come.

Old 31 December 2022, 01:46 AM   #10
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huydoan View Post
i like this watch, though my wrist is small to accommodate the 42mm platinum one. thank you for posting this watch in real life. do you use the alarm function frequently?

Not all the time, but we are enjoying some time off with the fam and it’s been my alarm clock every day.

Old 31 December 2022, 01:47 AM   #11
Demonoid
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
As often in watches, only the real experience allows to notice the true finishing of a model. After a few years of "practice", one definitely can perceive noticable differences.

When you hold any of Patek Pilot watches, you definitely see it. In the numerals especially.

The 5520P is particularly rare in the sense the Alarm and calendar have to be synchronized in a way to preserve the movement. The ring sets itself on "off" when setting the alarm. Winding is mandatory to be able to activate the alarm (with the help of a dynamometric feature). There is an isolator for the date correction around midnight. It's a 24h alarm that follows the time zone.

The syncronisation of Alarm with the Travel Time function was first conceived for this watch. The system has been used for the 5326G. The owner can set it forward and backward.

It's based on a MR mechanism. New model means new baseplate which allowed also to re-center the crown.

The speed on a Minute-Repeater should remain under 18 seconds, not to spend too much energy. The alarm here lasts 35 seconds.

This isn't a simple watch.

It's nice to see you're enjoying it often. Congratz :)

Awesome write up. You get it.