The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 9 June 2014, 01:33 AM   #61
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Question on Warranty Transfer.

I bought a preowned 44MM Novelty from a friend who bought it new from an AD. Warranty dated Feb 2013 and with the 2 year standard warranty, I need to send the watch
in for pressure testing before Feb 2015 to get the warranty extended for another year right? And if any work needed to be done (during the original 2 year warranty period), the warranty would be extended an additional 2 years instead of 1?

I assume the warranty is transferable? And if so, do I need to contact APSC to change the name?

Thanks!
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2014, 04:49 PM   #62
lorsban
"TRF" Member

RO 15300-15400 was kind of my grail for almost a decade. Been working on saving up for one until I saw service costs. 😨

I used to have a Breguet type xx that I had serviced in Singapore for about $1200. Granted it was after 7 years of ownership but that's a hefty chunk of change. Left a bad taste in my mouth so I eventually traded it.

The RO is probably the most beautifully designed watch I've ever seen. It just doesn't make me feel very confident to know that I have to pay $1-1300 every 5 years or so OR even more IF and when something goes wrong.

Guess I'm more a Toyota guy than a Ferrari/Lamborghini.
Old 25 July 2014, 12:39 AM   #63
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Serious problems with new RO's??

That's the problem with high end watches, servicing is very expensive, if at least it was always flawless ok, but it's far from always being the case, sometimes there are serious problems, worse than before it went to get serviced...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2014, 01:09 AM   #64
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
That's the problem with high end watches, servicing is very expensive, if at least it was always flawless ok, but it's far from always being the case, sometimes there are serious problems, worse than before it went to get serviced...
Yeah true. Cost of ownership and all that.
Old 28 August 2014, 04:59 PM   #65
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsban View Post
Yeah true. Cost of ownership and all that.
No, more like the watch comes back scratched, unrepaired or something was damaged during the intervention, don't know for AP, but just for example Panerai owners are legion to report incredible problems after servicing, ok Panerai isn't AP or Patek but they're not Tags, I have 3 limited editions, I am going to flip them for a few reasons and one of them being that I would go crazy if I serviced my Pam 82 (300 pieces on the regular LE, from 5 to 12 on the "shadow case watches" like the one I have) and it came back with a huge scratch…
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2014, 08:25 AM   #66
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No, more like the watch comes back scratched, unrepaired or something was damaged during the intervention, don't know for AP, but just for example Panerai owners are legion to report incredible problems after servicing, ok Panerai isn't AP or Patek but they're not Tags, I have 3 limited editions, I am going to flip them for a few reasons and one of them being that I would go crazy if I serviced my Pam 82 (300 pieces on the regular LE, from 5 to 12 on the "shadow case watches" like the one I have) and it came back with a huge scratch…
Oh ok! Yeah I suppose that could happen.

I had an Ebel BTR 1911 GMT that had a stripped crown. I had it repaired at the local authorized center and it was repaired but the power reserve went from 40 hours to 8.

I guess you have to research for good service centers as well.

Never had any such problems with Rolex.
Old 17 October 2014, 05:49 AM   #67
yjfang
"TRF" Member

I ditched all of my Panerai's for a number of reasons, the service horror stories being one of them.

You won't have those kinds of issues with AP Service. They are the best in the industry in terms of attention to detail, turn around time, and customer service.

Quote:
Old 10 November 2014, 11:22 PM   #68
robisan
"TRF" Member

This has been helpful!
robisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 12:54 AM   #69
FKruger

I have two friends both AP owners love their watches and probably would like to buy more but service costs are too high to continue with ap
FKruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 01:12 AM   #70
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKruger View Post
I have two friends both AP owners love their watches and probably would like to buy more but service costs are too high to continue with ap
No higher than the other top brands.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 06:53 AM   #71
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by diver2012 View Post
no higher than the other top brands.
x2

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 01:28 PM   #72
yjfang
"TRF" Member

If Patek's service turnaround time could approach that of AP's, I would buy a lot more.
Old 2 December 2014, 07:46 PM   #73
Raffe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
You can find the regular service rates at http://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/ser...ge=maintenance

A vintage AP overhaul completely different story.
AP seem to have removed the prices from their website. Does anybody have a recent price list which they could share?

Thanks for looking.

Raffe
Raffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2014, 10:22 PM   #74
Husky boy
"TRF" Member

True have the cash ready for a service.

If you by from a used handpiece don't expect any help if it stops working.

The 12 months warranty means zero!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Husky boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2015, 02:30 PM   #75
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Have been looking at YG/SS ROs for a while, after reading the thread I know the 5402 isn't right for me but I found some other references in 36mm and 39mm, that I was hoping wouldn't share the same issues.

The time zone 25730 and then the 36mm 4100, 14486, 14700 and the 14790.

Would the 4100 share the same issues as the 5402, do the reference numbers go consecutively making the 4 digit 4100 the earliest of the 36mms? I wish I had an AP AD nearby that I could walk into and pick their brains... None of the modern ROs have the grey dial, YG/SS combination that I love so I am forced to consider pre-owned unless something gets announced in the next year or two.

I am hoping to avoid the issues of no water resistance following service from AP and the crown that breaks off on the 5402 but other than that I think I can deal with the other issues that come with AP service. Do they allow you to decline cosmetic service as Rolex does? Can you say "Don't worry about the bezel and crystal, just service the movement?"
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2015, 03:10 AM   #76
As Ani
"TRF" Member

very usefull :)
for a Hunter of a 15300 ;)

thanks
As Ani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2015, 09:17 PM   #77
Andreas420
"TRF" Member

Watch: A bunch :)
Good advice! Will probably sell my Royal Oak now
Don't want to pay a fortune for service! :)
Andreas420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2015, 04:38 AM   #78
frankyb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, GMT, Sub
I've always admired the Royal Oak... hmmm. great post, great advice.
Old 9 September 2015, 11:34 PM   #79
kflo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Audemars Pi
Great info, and a lesson I had to learn the hard way. :/
kflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2015, 04:30 AM   #80
Majin Buu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust now
Great post, has been very useful for me !

Cheers !

MB
Majin Buu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2015, 07:04 AM   #81
thehoracle
"TRF" Member

Any of you 15300 hunters consider a newer 15400 or is there a reason you're stuck on the 15300? Other than the obvious case diameter, which I sort of prefer since I have a ~ 7" wrist.
thehoracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 October 2015, 02:09 AM   #82
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoracle View Post
Any of you 15300 hunters consider a newer 15400 or is there a reason you're stuck on the 15300? Other than the obvious case diameter, which I sort of prefer since I have a ~ 7" wrist.
The case diameter at 39 mm is a purist type of thing as the original Royal Oak Jumbo was launched as a 39 mm. Some people don't like the hash marker next to the date aperture on the 15400, as AP had to to that to accommodate the calibre 3120 in the larger case size and make it work with the dial configuration. While I prefer the 15300, I've also owned the 15400 at the same time and I loved the bigger wrist presence. I have a 7.25" and it wears just fine.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2015, 08:41 AM   #83
beer
"TRF" Member

Watch: all
yes good advice, been looking at buying a skeleton in the future , after checking out some used piecces , i came to the conclusion that it is probably better to accept i cannot afford it now and aspire to buy new at a later date , if cannot buy (any piece) without having to look for a deal that is a few thousand cheaper then probably cannot afford it either way

agree with your advice r.e. buying newer piece and saving future costs
Old 28 April 2016, 07:27 AM   #84
AP2013
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing, great tips and advice
AP2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2016, 12:39 AM   #85
daft
"TRF" Member

Great read. I've read somewhere that APs in general are sensitive watches (e.g. Quick flicks of the wrist, anything involving high activities, etc.). Is this true?
daft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2016, 04:20 PM   #86
sueno213
"TRF" Member

Watch: fpj tantalum bleu
Excellent post

I wish I had read this post before my last purchase . Highly recommended reading
sueno213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2016, 09:35 AM   #87
Cclassics
"TRF" Member

wow this is good info to know-- i rarely read FAQ on most forums--

i was shopping for a AP roo 44mm novelty and now i have to seriously consider it again--

i daily wear a rolex sub C- never had an issue- i know the 5 yr service can be 800 to 1k. thats fine but over 10 rolexes over the past 15 years and not once has there been any issues- the AP i "want" will sit quite a bit most likely so now im not sure if thats a wise choice to add to my collection--
Cclassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2016, 02:27 PM   #88
Daryl
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjfang View Post
Question on Warranty Transfer.

I bought a preowned 44MM Novelty from a friend who bought it new from an AD. Warranty dated Feb 2013 and with the 2 year standard warranty, I need to send the watch
in for pressure testing before Feb 2015 to get the warranty extended for another year right? And if any work needed to be done (during the original 2 year warranty period), the warranty would be extended an additional 2 years instead of 1?

I assume the warranty is transferable? And if so, do I need to contact APSC to change the name?

Thanks!
whats the answer to this? thanks

Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2016, 12:41 AM   #89
Jthiede1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW View Post
Yes Dan, You can register your watch on audemarspiguet.com and receive the sticker, Then wait until almost 2 years and send your watch and sticker to Clearwater Service Center for the extended warranty

And yes send it in regardless!
This is great info. I am looking at an AP ROO ST 25721 from a friend of a friend. It's an E series with no service papers or warranty and looks like it was purchased in 2003 originally. He bought it from a dealer ad it's in pristine condition. Anything specific I need to watch out for? When do you think it will have to be serviced if it came from a dealer?
Jthiede1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2017, 12:17 AM   #90
Catsgomeowmeow
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your post Submarino.
I wanted the RO 15400 really bad and even though your post is great, it has put me off of pulling the trigger. The finances aren't the problem, but reading the comments I got the impression that the RO is a "sports watch" that could not even survive a quick twist of the wrist. I'm kind of heart broken since I really looked forward to owning one.

Do you think the offshore diver is more robust than the 15400?
Catsgomeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote