The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 1 March 2019, 08:46 PM   #1
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

3970ep

love to hear your thought on this model.. i have an opportunity to buy one with undated paper.. black dial with diamond markers.. any advises? thank you very much in advance! cheers! jen
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 09:31 PM   #2
watch-guy.com
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
love to hear your thought on this model.. i have an opportunity to buy one with undated paper.. black dial with diamond markers.. any advises? thank you very much in advance! cheers! jen

I looked at a similar model and passed as I felt the dial legibility was poor The watch is amazing in bright light and photographs but in an office or restaurant , almost impossible to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
watch-guy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2019, 10:22 PM   #3
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watch-guy.com View Post
I looked at a similar model and passed as I felt the dial legibility was poor The watch is amazing in bright light and photographs but in an office or restaurant , almost impossible to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks for the tips.. i was interested couple years ago but i didn’t close the deal.. recently i was shocked to see the market price has increased almost 50%! i don’t want to imagine in another couple of years time..

i have seen a few one in yellow n pink gold.. but i always have an perception that platinum is the one to get n the rarest in all 3970 series.

correct me if i am wrong.

Old 2 March 2019, 05:32 AM   #4
watch-guy.com
Banned

not sure but series 1 or 2 is rare in any metal

I would imagine overall plat is the rarest - but like the 3940 , they made a lot of these models

Julian
Old 2 March 2019, 11:20 AM   #5
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Oh yes, the hamburger watch! I had one in rose gold and they're really nice. I assume you have small-faced wrists, which is a good thing. The smaller dial really can be a challenge to read at times. You'll get really familiar with all the pusher pins in no time. The rg watch peaked out at about $127,000 years ago and now it is about 85,000 to 80,000 actual sale price with original box original papers, both backs, Etc. Call a few dealers and see how much they'll buy one from you for, as it will give you an idea of the actual price if you're really looking to buy one. Slow movers is what I've heard, so the seller should be very motovated.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2019, 09:19 PM   #6
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Oh yes, the hamburger watch! I had one in rose gold and they're really nice. I assume you have small-faced wrists, which is a good thing. The smaller dial really can be a challenge to read at times. You'll get really familiar with all the pusher pins in no time. The rg watch peaked out at about $127,000 years ago and now it is about 85,000 to 80,000 actual sale price with original box original papers, both backs, Etc. Call a few dealers and see how much they'll buy one from you for, as it will give you an idea of the actual price if you're really looking to buy one. Slow movers is what I've heard, so the seller should be very motovated.
“hamburger” haha good description! it does feels like a mini burger!

i learned a few things doing some research..

1. the 3970EP.. that E stands for water resistance. so now i know i do need one with an E

2. i only fancy the leafy hands of the second series. i don’t like the baton hands (too sporty).. i also searching for “big hallmarks” on the lugs i find them very unusual and romantic.

3. one of the key thing to look out for are those over polished lugs.. unfortunately the example i am looking at those lugs are indeed quite “rounded”

4. i learn so far the second series do not comes with the leafy hands and leafy hands are only available on non E ie not water resistance. i need something waterproof even 5m i will take it.

5. huge price difference between the AU750s and the PT950s.. yet the one i like are in 18KPG or 18KYG. i find the PT950 too dark with the black dial.

i am still looking.. i am crossing over into the 5004s .. maybe 5970s too but i find the larger size a tad similar to my 5270s..

thank you for all your feedbacks
Old 4 March 2019, 09:21 PM   #7
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would imagine overall plat is the rarest - but like the 3940 , they made a lot of these models

Julian
yeah 20 years production.. lots are available.. i am looking at 5004 too.
Old 5 March 2019, 01:11 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I have looked at both the 3970 and 5004 and tried them on in the past. But they have a reputation as a "hamburger" mainly due to the fact their case thickness to case diameter ratio is a bit off compared to the 5970/5270. As you know, the 3970 uses the same movement as the 5970 and can't go wrong if you are looking for a smaller PCC.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 03:49 AM   #9
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I have looked at both the 3970 and 5004 and tried them on in the past. But they have a reputation as a "hamburger" mainly due to the fact their case thickness to case diameter ratio is a bit off compared to the 5970/5270. As you know, the 3970 uses the same movement as the 5970 and can't go wrong if you are looking for a smaller PCC.
thank you for your kind feedback

indeed i am searching for a smaller PCC something similar yet “different” from the 5270.. i find the pushers on the 3970/5004 more dramatic and old school compared to the mordern 5970/5270. i also like the smaller dial makes the watch looks more compact and more mechanical ala more chronograph (tool appeal)..

i am now still doing my research and also searching for a good hunt.

i am still trying to find a answers on:-

1. do 3970 (series 2) comes in E variants ie waterproof case? i need my watches to be water resistance... ... btw are those 5004 waterproof?

2. which series comes with the large hallmarks stamps on the lugs? i am quite confused since some comes with much smaller stamps across the four different series..

3. should i just forgo the 3970 and go straight to 5004?

anyone here have any owner reviews or any relevant tips on how to get the right one at he right price? i saw prices are all over the range!

thank you v much in advance!!
Old 5 March 2019, 10:01 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferjanef View Post
anyone here have any owner reviews or any relevant tips on how to get the right one at he right price? i saw prices are all over the range!

thank you v much in advance!!
Demand has fallen drastically. Avoid the dreamers asking sky high prices. Also make sure the factory serviced it recently. None are fast seller, so a fun buyers market. I remember when the 5970 was the hot ticket. Today, price has not gone up at all really yet today are in lower value dollars. Wait a year or so and prices should be a bit lower.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2019, 11:14 PM   #11
gpwhite
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Journe
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Demand has fallen drastically. Avoid the dreamers asking sky high prices. Also make sure the factory serviced it recently. None are fast seller, so a fun buyers market. I remember when the 5970 was the hot ticket. Today, price has not gone up at all really yet today are in lower value dollars. Wait a year or so and prices should be a bit lower.
I purchased an unworn 3970EG- 025 (black dial, stick markers) recently and love the watch. EG black dial are supposedly the most rare, but EP black dial with stick markers may be a similar production amount. The diamond marker version you are considering is far more common, so I would expect 90k to 100k US for unworn. Patek service can be completed at HSWA for ~3k US.

Prices are all over because there is large, large supply worldwide for small demand. Although the 5004 is unique and equally beautiful, prices there are even more exaggerated. Few pieces with almost zero demand other than for RG with black dial.

The mechanical aspects of the 5004, in my observation and consideration of a few pieces, are well below the 5204. Also, estimate that the service for the 5004 will be one year in Geneva and cost ~4k US.

I would like to purchase a 5004 to join my 5204P black dial... but it may be another year or so before primo pieces in Europe or HK finally relax down to 200k US for best pieces.
gpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 09:56 AM   #12
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwhite View Post
Prices are all over because there is large, large supply worldwide for small demand. Although the 5004 is unique and equally beautiful, prices there are even more exaggerated. Few pieces with almost zero demand other than for RG with black dial.

The mechanical aspects of the 5004, in my observation and consideration of a few pieces, are well below the 5204. Also, estimate that the service for the 5004 will be one year in Geneva and cost ~4k US.

I would like to purchase a 5004 to join my 5204P black dial... but it may be another year or so before primo pieces in Europe or HK finally relax down to 200k US for best pieces.
Any idea on a fair price for a mint 5004P (breguet numeral white V black dial) in today's market?
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 04:32 AM   #13
gpwhite
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Journe
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviperman View Post
Any idea on a fair price for a mint 5004P (breguet numeral white V black dial) in today's market?
I am not aware of that version... P, black dial, Breguet numerals. The only black dial 5004 pieces I have seen are G or R, and they have Arabic numerals.

My idea of fair price on the above and dealers' ideas are only about 75k US apart, , so I have no useful comment for you. Dealers are looking for the crazy needle in the mountain of hay.
gpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2019, 04:42 AM   #14
watch-guy.com
Banned

P and breguet are a special request Unlikely to find so easily

[
Good luck
J
Old 7 March 2019, 09:59 AM   #15
eviperman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
[
Good luck
J
They exist and are around... less common than the light dial P ofcourse, but they are around.

And yes, dealers seem to be $50-85K higher than recent auction results... now probably isn't the best time to buy, waiting for the market to crash a bit.
eviperman is offline   Reply With Quote