The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 April 2024, 04:34 AM   #1
itsinthebag
"TRF" Member

AP WG Difference

I'm considering trading up to a WG RO but can't find any info on the WG mix that AP uses. I'm asking because the color of AP's WG is so different than that of PP and Rolex, and I'm concerned about what happens when I scratch my watch (its inevitable).

I understand PP and Rolex use grey gold to emphasize its not plated and how it's grey gold through and through. Is this the same with AP's WG? If so, it's pretty amazing how AP gets such a bright WG compared to the warmer grey gold on Patek and Rolex. Thanks in advance!
itsinthebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 05:44 AM   #2
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsinthebag View Post
I'm considering trading up to a WG RO but can't find any info on the WG mix that AP uses. I'm asking because the color of AP's WG is so different than that of PP and Rolex, and I'm concerned about what happens when I scratch my watch (its inevitable).

I understand PP and Rolex use grey gold to emphasize its not plated and how it's grey gold through and through. Is this the same with AP's WG? If so, it's pretty amazing how AP gets such a bright WG compared to the warmer grey gold on Patek and Rolex. Thanks in advance!
Usual claim is that AP WG is Rhodium plated. Quite possible, as it would seem difficult to get the icy silver sheen otherwise. OTOH, I have never seen a WG AP with worn-off/scratched plating - they should exist somewhere if this is indeed plated.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 06:30 AM   #3
Reign
"TRF" Member

I have a white gold code that is pretty scratched and while it may be plated, none of the scratches have exposed what’s underneath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote