The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 January 2022, 04:19 PM   #1
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Patek Ladies' Nautilus 7118 Steel

So today at an event I saw one of my female colleagues wearing the Nautilus 7118 in steel with gray dial. It is such a GORGEOUS watch. I asked her if I can see it the watch, and she let me check it out. Now I'm truly mesmerized by this watch and want to get one for my wife.

Curious on folks that have or had the 7118, what are your thoughts on it? I haven't seen any other variations in person, so this is the first time seeing one. It's gorgeous!
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 05:15 PM   #2
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
I recently got one for my wife, and she loves it! She feels that is is incredibly comfortable on the wrist. Initially we were loosely offered the grey dial with plain bezel, but that became u available. We were then offered the white dial with diamond bezel. She was initially hesitant with the diamond bezel, but after looking at some photos, she took a chance on it. It is even more stunning in person.

Though it as difficult to acquire as the men’s Nautilus line, not sure how easy the 7118’s are to to get at ADs today.
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 11:37 PM   #3
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

My wife has one. We luckily got it before the hype carried into the ladies line. Think these are even extremely hard to get right now from AD's judging by the secondary market pricing. Good luck with your hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 11:57 PM   #4
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

It's a beautiful watch but, back in the day, when you could just walk in and buy one, my girlfriend, who is much more watch savvy than I am, opted for a 3800 blue dial which is a mini 3700.
Don't worry, as V25V has mentioned, the 7118 is impossible to get.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 12:11 AM   #5
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
My wife absolutely adores her R. This is her favourite watch.

IMG_14012022_221058_(800_x_1080_pixel).jpg
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 12:12 AM   #6
JC180
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, BLRO, LV, SD
I was offered one by my AD and my wife was initially skeptical but once shed cut open the sealed bag and handled it, it blew her away. The quality of the finishing and polishing and the various details on the watch work so well together. Its her most worn watch and she has a few other nice ones too.

I believe they are quite hard to get and secondary values are usually a good indicator but certainly worth a try.
Old 15 January 2022, 12:37 AM   #7
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

It is hard to get. Versions without diamond (especially the blue and grey) are searched by some men (especially in Asia).
I remember my AD telling me that they were trying to spot men buying this watch for them.

It is a little like the 4947/1A which is on some famous men's wrist like Andrea Pirlo...
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 01:15 AM   #8
Nicof
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuelleHeureEstIl View Post
It is hard to get. Versions without diamond (especially the blue and grey) are searched by some men (especially in Asia).
I remember my AD telling me that they were trying to spot men buying this watch for them.

It is a little like the 4947/1A which is on some famous men's wrist like Andrea Pirlo...

A bit different. 4947/1A has been marketed as unisex whereas 7118 always clearly been the ladies nautilus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nicof is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 02:22 AM   #9
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicof View Post
A bit different. 4947/1A has been marketed as unisex whereas 7118 always clearly been the ladies nautilus.
These reference numbers are in the ladies' lines (4xxx, 494x, 7xxx, etc).

So I would not say "unisex". Would "less overly girly" be more accurate?

Today many younger women tend to wear boys watches (like the Daytona!). My wife is very feminin but prefers discreet jewelry or watches. She does not like diamonds everywhere.

So she prefers a 7118/1A over a 7118/1200A, a 4947/1A over a 4947G.

Funny thing is that this one is a man's reference: 5719/10G
Old 15 January 2022, 02:45 AM   #10
dannyp
Banned

Reference number and size are far lesser factors in determining the "wearing" gender (vs. the "marketing" gender) of a watch.

There's nothing about the 4947/1A or 7234 that are overtly feminine. The 7118, like the ladies' Aquanauts, are differentiated by more than size. The Nautilus dial is different, while the Aquanaut has diamonds.

All else being equal, I'd personally probably prefer the size of the 7118 to the 5711, and I'd love to see a gem-less 7300 (but with screw-in crown).
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 12:01 PM   #11
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Reference number and size are far lesser factors in determining the "wearing" gender (vs. the "marketing" gender) of a watch.

There's nothing about the 4947/1A or 7234 that are overtly feminine. The 7118, like the ladies' Aquanauts, are differentiated by more than size. The Nautilus dial is different, while the Aquanaut has diamonds.

All else being equal, I'd personally probably prefer the size of the 7118 to the 5711, and I'd love to see a gem-less 7300 (but with screw-in crown).
I wear a 7118r, love it and nothing feminine. All
I get from men & women is great watch. It’s so comfortable and not small.

Their RG color is great looking.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 01:06 PM   #12
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
I wear a 7118r, love it and nothing feminine. All
I get from men & women is great watch. It’s so comfortable and not small.

Their RG color is great looking.
I guess I've always found wave dials to be slightly feminine. Part of why I couldn't get myself to love the smaller Omega Aqua Terra and passed on the new version of the Glycine Combat 6 36mm as an inexpensive beater. Of course, I don't find them nearly as feminine as gem settings or the like.
Old 15 January 2022, 01:24 PM   #13
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

OP is trying to get a 7118 for his wife. The Nautilus men vs ladies argument has been discussed many times in various threads already...
Old 15 January 2022, 01:31 PM   #14
seadubs
"TRF" Member

My wife has a 70101R that she absolutely loves.
seadubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 01:32 PM   #15
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I guess I've always found wave dials to be slightly feminine. Part of why I couldn't get myself to love the smaller Omega Aqua Terra and passed on the new version of the Glycine Combat 6 36mm as an inexpensive beater. Of course, I don't find them nearly as feminine as gem settings or the like.
lol
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
Old 15 January 2022, 01:33 PM   #16
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
OP is trying to get one 7118 for his wife. The Nautilus men vs ladies argument has been discussed many times in various threads already...
lol
Old 15 January 2022, 02:18 PM   #17
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
lol
I should also say that I happily wear an OP34 (the new, smaller one) and I'm pretty sure that's marketed as a ladies' watch, which is why "marketing gender" is of zero consequence to me. Or to put it another way, whatever watch I'm wearing is a "men's watch," because I'm wearing it.
Old 15 January 2022, 03:00 PM   #18
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My wife absolutely adores her R. This is her favourite watch.

Attachment 1267070
Crackin watch M. Happy wife happy life.

My wife thinks the 7118 is spectacular also. From what I know, they are produced in far lesser numbers than the men's Nautilus. So technically it's not common at all.
sensui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 03:01 PM   #19
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I should also say that I happily wear an OP34 (the new, smaller one) and I'm pretty sure that's marketed as a ladies' watch, which is why "marketing gender" is of zero consequence to me. Or to put it another way, whatever watch I'm wearing is a "men's watch," because I'm wearing it.
I would too. My grandfather 18k Gold date, 1966 34mm, great watch regardless of size!
Old 15 January 2022, 03:11 PM   #20
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
Crackin watch M. Happy wife happy life.

My wife thinks the 7118 is spectacular also. From what I know, they are produced in far lesser numbers than the men's Nautilus. So technically it's not common at all.
Thanks bro!

And I highly recommend 7118 to OP's wife too. Hopefully it comes soon for her!
Old 15 January 2022, 03:57 PM   #21
archer1021
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
archer1021 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 11:06 PM   #22
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
So today at an event I saw one of my female colleagues wearing the Nautilus 7118 in steel with gray dial. It is such a GORGEOUS watch. I asked her if I can see it the watch, and she let me check it out. Now I'm truly mesmerized by this watch and want to get one for my wife.

Curious on folks that have or had the 7118, what are your thoughts on it? I haven't seen any other variations in person, so this is the first time seeing one. It's gorgeous!
sry it's been a long day. I somehow read, "and want to get a wife"
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 11:19 PM   #23
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
OP is trying to get a 7118 for his wife. The Nautilus men vs ladies argument has been discussed many times in various threads already...

In fact, I wanted to highlight 2 points when taking the 7118 route:
1.- Some 7118 are now impossible to get because men have been buying them for themselves. And PP want to avoid that (so they may not give it to you if they suspect that it is not for your wife).
2.- Ladies are offered 2 choices: with and without diamonds. And some wifes prefer the diamond-less versions which can be an issue because of (1).

I may also add that my AD told me that when buying the 7118 as a surprise for their wife, men tend to favor the blue variant but when he talks to ladies they actually prefer the white or the grey.
Old 16 January 2022, 12:59 PM   #24
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

Quote:

1.- Some 7118 are now impossible to get because men have been buying them for themselves. And PP want to avoid that (so they may not give it to you if they suspect that it is not for your wife).
2.- Ladies are offered 2 choices: with and without diamonds. And some wifes prefer the diamond-less versions which can be an issue because of (1).

I may also add that my AD told me that when buying the 7118 as a surprise for their wife, men tend to favor the blue variant but when he talks to ladies they actually prefer the white or the grey.
Yeah, the one my coworker had was the plain bezel (no diamonds) with grey dial. It just looked amazing!
pav333hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 01:32 PM   #25
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sorry to disagree.

But like me, my two PP AD’s do tell me that I’m not the only one buying 7118 for our use (men) , not recently but fit the last 3 years. 7118 steel was offered to me in 2019, and everal times after in steel and gold, with and without diamonds

I bought my 7118r this past September 2021, it was in the window !… of my AD when I went to pick up one my OP’s. Bought it on the spot.
A group of young guys were looking at Rolex, and they thought I was getting the men’s all gold version, and they thought it look amazing.

Both AD’s, told me men or women cbuy it, no issue.

Even the Twenty-4 was offered to me several times ( not hard to get, but I don’t like the diamonds).

So even the original post here is not about if some men like or not, the 7118r or SS, it’s the same size as vintage men Nautilus.

And as trend to normal size watches is around, At 38mm (East-West) a 7118 is a very very nice model watch. Waves are in many Omegas, and on Rolex men boxes etc …

If you want to buy for your female friend —go for it. The grey market prices show how popular/desired they are now, my guess by men fir men or otherwise. Good luck seeing them on display.
Old 16 January 2022, 09:28 PM   #26
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

I bought a 7118/1r 010 for my wife's birthday.
It's unequivocally a ladies watch. The case size, bracelet width, the 'softened' dial strakes, and the even slightly different appearing rose gold (to my eyes) which is a touch more yellow.

She loves it - it's much more elegant than and discreet than say, a mens Daytona which many women have taken to wearing.

One thing - I know why PP make quartz variations of these too. I had to explain to my wife that it was mechanical and needs to be set after it's been left for a while. She didn't like that so much.
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 10:01 PM   #27
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

Bought my wife the steel 7118 last Spring, but she's afraid to wear it because she doesn't want to scratch it up . It is probably tied with her Breguet Marine has a favorite watch.

As for how difficult it is to get... The boutique I purchased from is in a major city, and told me they get 1 or 2 a year. We have a great relationship with them, which helped us get the watch over a "billionaires wife," or so I've been told (I'm not even a drop in the bucket spend-wise).

Good luck if you are able to nab one, I'm sure your wife will love it!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 10:17 PM   #28
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
I bought a 7118/1r 010 for my wife's birthday.
It's unequivocally a ladies watch. The case size, bracelet width, the 'softened' dial strakes, and the even slightly different appearing rose gold (to my eyes) which is a touch more yellow.

She loves it - it's much more elegant than and discreet than say, a mens Daytona which many women have taken to wearing.

One thing - I know why PP make quartz variations of these too. I had to explain to my wife that it was mechanical and needs to be set after it's been left for a while. She didn't like that so much.
Yes Daytona Steel can be a ladies watch for sure.
Old 17 January 2022, 02:06 AM   #29
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Yes Daytona Steel can be a ladies watch for sure.
When at my Rolex AD, I was surprised to see several times (young) ladies trying them.

Supercarblondie owns several ones (but not steel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YMt5f-OlyY
Old 17 January 2022, 10:41 AM   #30
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Sorry to disagree.

But like me, my two PP AD’s do tell me that I’m not the only one buying 7118 for our use (men) , not recently but fit the last 3 years. 7118 steel was offered to me in 2019, and everal times after in steel and gold, with and without diamonds

I bought my 7118r this past September 2021, it was in the window !… of my AD when I went to pick up one my OP’s. Bought it on the spot.
A group of young guys were looking at Rolex, and they thought I was getting the men’s all gold version, and they thought it look amazing.

Both AD’s, told me men or women cbuy it, no issue.

Even the Twenty-4 was offered to me several times ( not hard to get, but I don’t like the diamonds).

So even the original post here is not about if some men like or not, the 7118r or SS, it’s the same size as vintage men Nautilus.

And as trend to normal size watches is around, At 38mm (East-West) a 7118 is a very very nice model watch. Waves are in many Omegas, and on Rolex men boxes etc …

If you want to buy for your female friend —go for it. The grey market prices show how popular/desired they are now, my guess by men fir men or otherwise. Good luck seeing them on display.
Guessing you'd probably understand, better than just about any other on here, why if I were going for a reasonably-priced/exceptional value dress watch, this would be #1 on the list:

(It's 33mm and clearly marketed as ladies, though identical to the "men's" version aside from diameter)