The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 December 2022, 04:29 PM   #1
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
5202g to Establish AD Relationship?

As many here can relate, I have been trying to start my Patek journey through an AD for several years now. I've visited every AD in my area including an AD in Vegas. As you can imagine, the usual experience has been discouraging. It was always one of the following.

1. Dismissive attitude with a we are not taking new clients for waiting lists
responses.
2. A Patek will not be your first purchase with us. How about these other
brands like Breguet, Bovet, Jacob & Co, and etc.?
3. Let's start a relationship. How about buying some jewelry to start?
4. Let's try and get started with some of these pieces from Patek. Certain
ladies watches and mens models I have no interest in.

Discouraged to say the least. I've always pictured my watch collection to be AP, PP, Rolex,and FP Journe at some point in the future. I've got the AP and Rolex part nailed down. My Rolex AD takes great care of me and gets me whatever I ask for. My AP boutique has allocated me 4 pieces this year alone and they have been stellar to deal with. Patek has been one tough nut to crack though.

I have a dear friend who is a Patek collector and had offered to make an intro to his AD numerous times. I never took him up on his offer as I didn't want to trouble him for it. I don't like asking for favors from others, but I finally decided to ask for some help. I reached out to him yesterday and low and behold, I get a call from the owner of his AD this morning!

We spoke for about 30 minutes and shared with him my watch collecting journey. He asked what I was looking for. 5712 or 5726 of course. lol. He explained the allocation situation, but that is not to say it's entirely impossible. I told him I fully understand that he has a long list of clients waiting for allocations. I'm ok with waiting as long as I can get a meaningful relationship started. I even told him he can hold on to the papers if he wanted and he said my buddy already vouched for me and we are good.

He asked if there were any other pieces of interest to me. I quickly replied 5205g. It's the only other non Nautilus piece I currently had interest in. I figure it would be a good first Patek piece for me and a way to start the relationship with something I do want. I was surprised by his next response, "I can make that happen in 2023. I'll put you on the list and let you know when an allocation comes in. Let's keep in touch in the meantime. Do you ever come up this way? (this AD is about an hour flight away)" I said yes, I go up there on average once a year. He said let's have coffee next time you're here.

Today's conversation made my day and I look forward to the day I have my first Patek incoming. It's the only meaningful conversation I've been able to have with a Patek AD so far.

For those of you Patek experts, where does the 5205G rank in the difficulty list outside of the Nautilus/Aqua line up? Looking at secondary prices, it seems to be around MSRP and I assume it's not too difficult, but just curious.
Am I off to a good start in starting the Patek relationship if I do get a 5205G allocation as my first?

PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 04:49 PM   #2
patlex
"TRF" Member

Lovely! Your experience is somewhat similar to me, except that i tired to start off my PP relationship via a Grand Complication. With my love one, we visited almost all the ADs in the country that I’m in. We persevered and managed to strike a conversation with one last AD. Had an hour plus conversation. Built very good rapport, trust & most importantly a personal relation. Fast forward few months later, got what I wanted, plus more, and more importantly, a friend who’s not pushing me to get others which i don’t like! Waiting for more PP allocations next year which i have indicated my interest in…,

I hope that the 5205G can hopefully be like my journey, ie, getting a ‘ticket’ into the AD’s attention and then pave the way to getting your desired time pierces! Very best of luck!
patlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 04:58 PM   #3
sigma089
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, GS, PP
Great story, hope you'll get the watch in 2023. I think you'll be fine with that AD with your buddy vouching for you.

From my experience 5205g for some reason has not gained the traction it deserves. It's a great start to PP. My dealer had a 5205r available for around 2 months prior to someone biting. I don't know if he offered it to new clients, though.
sigma089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 04:59 PM   #4
patlex
"TRF" Member

Your PP experience is largely similar to mine! With my love one, we visited and spoke to almost all the ADs in the country which I'm in. That was over a period of 3-4 months as i was hunting for my first PP, a grand complication. As hope faded, we chanced upon an AD via an initial email correspondence. We visited the AD, had more than 2 hours conversation. The chat certainly paved the way to building a very good rapport, trust & more importantly, a personal relationship with the AD. Fast forward several months later, i got my grand comp plus a few others which i had love at first sight. Am waiting for a few others which i had indicated my interest. All these are made possible of the initial purchase, equally more important, that personal relationship.

As to whether the 5205G gives you a step closer to your dream watch, it really depends on the AD. From what i gathered in my country, you need to spend an arm and a leg in order to get a sports model, and still the wait time is a big unknown. It merely puts your name on the list. My advice is to go meet your AD if at all possible, for that coffee.

In which case, all the the best in your PP journey.
patlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 05:21 PM   #5
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Reading your post Mike I think it’s a sad situation that genuine interest in a Patek watch should require this level of acceptance by a retailer.

When all is said and done they are only selling watches.

Good luck with your acquisition.

E.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 05:52 PM   #6
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

That sounds like a great experience, having a friend vouch for you is probably one of the best ways to get "in."

I don't think the 5205G should be that hard, especially if you are talking directly to the owner and he said he'd get it for you next year.

Enjoy the journey!
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 11:37 PM   #7
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

It seems like this is a common situation that has been happening over the past few years and we see a lot of similar threads here.

One of the problems is that there has been a great interest in the Nautilus/Aquanaut over the past 4-5 years and the secondary market prices are 2-5x retail price. This phenomena by itself explain why ADs will not sell these pieces to new customers and it makes sense. Too many flippers pose as genuine customers and try to get in on the "game". ADs cannot really distinguish between flippers and genuine watch people unless someone purchases a non-sports watch Patek or watches from other less popular brands.

The 5205 is an excellent watch and it would be a great first Patek for anyone. Patek patented the AC complication and it is a practical complication as well. It seems this AD is opening to help OP start his Patek collection and I hope it works out well.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 12:53 AM   #8
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I can tell you the 5205 is a great watch. It fits the wrist well and the case is interesting. Modern classic patek AC. I would say its a great starting point. I don't believe he's going to magically sell you a nautilus or aquanaut right afterwards but at least you're getting a really good looking watch and getting in the door.
Old 3 December 2022, 05:05 PM   #9
chows99
"TRF" Member

5205G is very much in demand in my country AD as people are buying it to get allocation for aqua. Go figure.
chows99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 06:17 PM   #10
slim
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG DD,SD43,Pam104
Sounds promising, I’m excited for you! Another example of “your network is your net worth”! Look forward to an incoming post from you next year!
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2022, 06:40 PM   #11
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm pretty excited at the idea of getting my first PP. The fact that an AD was willing to get me on the list for a piece to start that I actually had interest in feels like a win to me. Now the best part of this hobby begins. I almost enjoy the wait as much as the watch itself. Lol!
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
Old 3 December 2022, 06:50 PM   #12
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I can tell you the 5205 is a great watch. It fits the wrist well and the case is interesting. Modern classic patek AC. I would say its a great starting point. I don't believe he's going to magically sell you a nautilus or aquanaut right afterwards but at least you're getting a really good looking watch and getting in the door.

Yeah, I have no illusions about getting a Nautilus right after. It's a relationship I'm going to have to build over several years and I'm ok with that. That's what I've done with my AP and Rolex relationships.
Old 4 December 2022, 04:07 AM   #13
Ubiquitous1984
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
Yeah, I have no illusions about getting a Nautilus right after. It's a relationship I'm going to have to build over several years and I'm ok with that. That's what I've done with my AP and Rolex relationships.
Don’t lose faith - I started with a 5146r and received a 5712 six months later. It can happen!
Ubiquitous1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 09:16 AM   #14
canez16
"TRF" Member

5205g is not difficult to score from an AD, but a beautiful piece nonetheless.
canez16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 10:57 AM   #15
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
What is your end game? As you own four APs from a boutique I would think if your friend could explain you would buy multiple watches from the AD, you should have no problem "establishing" a relationship anywhere. If you just want a few dress watches and be done, I would look at the secondary market where many Patek models in new like condition trade at or below retail and are immediately available. If you want the sports lines at retail you will have to go the AD route and expect that to take some time.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 11:52 AM   #16
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
What is your end game? As you own four APs from a boutique I would think if your friend could explain you would buy multiple watches from the AD, you should have no problem "establishing" a relationship anywhere. If you just want a few dress watches and be done, I would look at the secondary market where many Patek models in new like condition trade at or below retail and are immediately available. If you want the sports lines at retail you will have to go the AD route and expect that to take some time.

End game for me is to start a PP collection like I have with AP. I want to be able to request models I want and get the allocations like Nautilus models. My AP collection has not helped in my PP quest with the AD's. I couldn't get Patek dealers to give me a proper chance without one of the starter transactions I listed in my original post.

Through my friends referral, I feel like I finally have an AD that already knows I'm a serious collector and is willing to work with me on pieces I want. It may take time, but that's ok for me.

I see a few dress watches in my future and they will either be Patek or FP Journe. I'm not interested in the secondary market at all. I've never purchased watches pre-owned and don't really plan on it in the future. I only buy new under my name. I want to establish status with not just the AD or boutique, but the brands themselves.
Old 4 December 2022, 12:21 PM   #17
anx21
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickyd329 View Post
I want to establish status with not just the AD or boutique, but the brands themselves.
Totally understandable position, but just keep in mind that you will only be establishing status with Patek if you buy from the salons. In the US, any AD other than Tiffany/WoS can have their status pulled at any time (IMHO) and Patek will likely not help with migrating you over to another AD. I recall a collector with ~20 Pateks being left in the cold when Shreve lost their status after 100+ years of carrying Patek:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...&postcount=141
anx21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 04:30 PM   #18
rcps.chung
"TRF" Member

The watch speaks for itself!

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-S9010 發送
rcps.chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 08:15 PM   #19
joa
"TRF" Member

great story- thanks for sharing!
Old 5 December 2022, 04:10 AM   #20
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anx21 View Post
Totally understandable position, but just keep in mind that you will only be establishing status with Patek if you buy from the salons. In the US, any AD other than Tiffany/WoS can have their status pulled at any time (IMHO) and Patek will likely not help with migrating you over to another AD. I recall a collector with ~20 Pateks being left in the cold when Shreve lost their status after 100+ years of carrying Patek:
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...&postcount=141

I hear ya. Always a risk for sure. Only problem is there are no salons here to start a relationship with. I guess I can go the Tiffany's route as we do have a great relationship with our boutique. I don't know why I never thought of that route...