The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2018, 02:32 AM   #241
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
My eyesight is the same.
Personally i am just thankful our Rolex watches are arguably the most reliable water proof watches on the market. And it's due in part to the patented Rolex Screw down crown as it currently is.
The screw down crown was not a Rolex invention around 1925 Hans Wilsdorf of the RWC heard that two watchmakers one was Paul Perregaux other George Perrolet they had taken out a Swiss patent for the first twin lock screwed stem system crown.Now Hans Wilsdorf of Rolex grasped that a hermetically sealed case, together with careful fitting of the crystal and a special stem mechanism, would produce a better waterproof wristwatch.He quickly negotiated to have the Perregaux patent assigned to him. Wilsdorf then obtained a British patent on October 18 1926 soon after the Rolex Oyster was born and became a commercial success.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 06:47 AM   #242
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The screw down crown was not a Rolex invention around 1925 Hans Wilsdorf of the RWC heard that two watchmakers one was Paul Perregaux other George Perrolet they had taken out a Swiss patent for the first twin lock screwed stem system crown.Now Hans Wilsdorf of Rolex grasped that a hermetically sealed case, together with careful fitting of the crystal and a special stem mechanism, would produce a better waterproof wristwatch.He quickly negotiated to have the Perregaux patent assigned to him. Wilsdorf then obtained a British patent on October 18 1926 soon after the Rolex Oyster was born and became a commercial success.

And an outstanding commercial success
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 06:53 AM   #243
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I'm not so sure the OP could handle this "imperfection" and would have a meltdown.
Given the example in the picture.
Perhaps one could just back it off just a little to achieve the perfect allignment.
I doubt there would be any consequences.

I don't think any of our Rolex watches in this household are any where near as close as the one shown in the pic. So we are no chance

Edit.
I just checked with my wife.
The issue never ever occured to her and doesn't care as she loves the watch as is.
My wife's watch has the Coronet pointing toward the 9.30 - 9.45 position.
My Black DSSD points to the 4.30 - 4.45 position.
The D-blue points to the 1.00 - 1.15 position. So there is hope after all
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 08:00 AM   #244
notknifescience
"TRF" Member

Sorry guys. I didn't realize this was such a played out discussion and didn't think to search for previous discussions about it. No need to be hostile...I made a mistake and am owning up to it. Seems like I'm in the minority though!
notknifescience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 08:10 AM   #245
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
It's one of the first things I noticed on my first Rolex. Such perfection otherwise.

It doesn't bug me, but it would be a nice touch. I would pay a few hundred more for the Sky Dweller crown.

Even if Rolex could index the crown, perhaps by screwing things in that need to be screwed, then pressing of cementing the crown into the correct orientation, it would still be off eventually as the threads would wear.

I totally understand why it's not done. The dweller is nifty, though.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 10:06 AM   #246
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

The crown orientation was something I noticed when I first started collecting Rolex, but while it’s on the wrist I don’t notice it. With that said, no I would not pay extra.
Old 24 October 2018, 12:42 AM   #247
phillip ridley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1971 Rolex Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
Interesting feedback Phillip. Your dad shut me down pretty quickly as my post explained. LOL

Does having a 50% chance represent an increase in the likelihood compared to pre-change? Sounds like maybe that’s what you’re saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When experimenting, I have noticed that the coronet will either line upright or the opposite, down, but evenly. Before it wasn't so much the case. If I have a client in which that is his goal, the likelihood of it happening is much higher today.
phillip ridley is offline   Reply With Quote